PDA

View Full Version : Knock Airport

joeSoap
07/04/2008, 11:11 AM
Had the pleasure of using Ireland West Airport Knock at the weekend going to Bristol for the rugby. Grand little airport, but one little gripe. When you check in, prior to going through security, you are ordered to pay a €10 fee towards the 'development' of the airport.

Surely this is illegal. If they asked for a voluntary contribution I'd say something, but a big sign saying patrons must pay it is a bit ott I think.

What does anyone else think?

pete
07/04/2008, 11:47 AM
Sounds like what you usually pay airport taxes for on ticket. Did your ticket already include that? Did your ticket mention paying local taxes?

EAFC_rdfl
07/04/2008, 1:01 PM
same happened me,great airport but i refuse to use it again purely because of this! I think with ryanair it says it at the very bottom of the confirmation email, but I was definitely not warned about it before paying for my flights, another joke. the day we were there, we were just finished at check in desk&heading for security, 2 in front were making their payment, however they only paid 10 euro total as opposed to each, and going by the friendly chit chat they obviously knew the member of staff :mad:
it must be a great advert for tourists who have to 'pay' to leave the country if they choose to use knock!!

beautifulrock
07/04/2008, 1:07 PM
Was surprised to see it when I used it first but am happy enough to pay. Always wondered why they just wouldnt add it to the ticket price. I guess I would be interested to see what they have actually done with the money. You also have to show that you paid to security so I feel it would be difficult for someone not to pay regardless of how well they know the person on the desk. Well worth it, no hassle and a decent breakfast to be had in the cafe upstairs.

pete
07/04/2008, 2:28 PM
Is this the latest policy to keep people in the West? E10 exit fee? :D

OneRedArmy
07/04/2008, 2:37 PM
It happens frequently in sub-saharan African countries and some places in Asia :)

It really should be part of the ticket cost but I suspect Ryanair and the like don't want to be associated with it.

Sneaky stuff.

sligoman
07/04/2008, 3:07 PM
It's a pain alright. You can request a form which you can fill in to say you're against the charge. Doubt they'll even bother reading them though. I wouldn't mind if the charge was included in booking, just more annoying having to pay it there and then.

kingdom hoop
07/04/2008, 3:49 PM
I wouldn't complain about the development fee of itself (you mightn't have an airport otherwise!), just that it's a pain you have to pay it separately to your ticket. It used to be that way in Kerry put they changed the system and it's now included in your booking fee. I'd say do fill out the forms and voice your feelings.

it must be a great advert for tourists who have to 'pay' to leave the country if they choose to use knock!!

Exit/entry fees are very common all over the world, to be fair.

paul_oshea
07/04/2008, 5:36 PM
its 10 yoyos ffs. who cares?! you would refuse the ease of use going there as oppossed to somewhere else becuase of 10 yoyos, even though you have probably saved it in other ways.............:rolleyes:

Personally, I am off the plane and home in 25 minutes, so even if it were 50 euro it would still be handier for me than flying into anywhere else, though at 50 I would be complaining.

micls
07/04/2008, 5:42 PM
its 10 yoyos ffs. who cares?! you would refuse the ease of use going there as oppossed to somewhere else becuase of 10 yoyos, even though you have probably saved it in other ways.............:rolleyes:

Personally, I am off the plane and home in 25 minutes, so even if it were 50 euro it would still be handier for me than flying into anywhere else, though at 50 I would be complaining.

What if you dont happen to have 10 euro on you?

Plenty of times Ive been away and been broke by the time I got to the airport to head home.

If the price was in the ticket that wouldnt be a problem, then you could choose to take or leave it.

Bluebeard
07/04/2008, 6:41 PM
What if you dont happen to have 10 euro on you?

Plenty of times Ive been away and been broke by the time I got to the airport to head home.

If the price was in the ticket that wouldnt be a problem, then you could choose to take or leave it.

They have the same thing at Waterford Airport too, only I think it is a fiver, rather than a tenner. My first time using it, and seeing as there isn't any public transport, I decided to walk out there from Tramore (that kind of stubborn, that kind of tight). I used some of the last of my euro to buy something for the trip. Fortunately, I'd kept about a tenner for the next trip back. I was mightily relieved to have that tenner when I got in, I can tell you, especially as the bank machine was not working there. It would have been a bloody long walk to Waterford and a missed flight otherwise.

shakermaker1982
07/04/2008, 8:32 PM
My missus nearly didn't board the plane on principle last time I used Knock because of the 'fee'. She's stubborn like that I neglected to tell her about the development fee and you should have seen her face when she realised what was going on :) .....If I wanted to head to Mayo/Galway and I was flying from the UK and Knock didn't exist then I'd have a decent drive from Shannon or Dublin. All in all 10 euro's is a price worth paying - for me anyway.

EAFC_rdfl
08/04/2008, 8:50 AM
its not the price - 10 euro - that most of us are having an issue with, its the sneaky way its handled. what choice have you an hour before you're flight but to pay it, where as if it popped up even as a warning when booking the flights you can make a decision then. maybe some people would prefer to use galway/sligo as a different option

Dodge
08/04/2008, 9:54 AM
It happens frequently in sub-saharan African countries and some places in Asia :)
isn't a "departure tax", as in departing the country? if you booked tickets and it wasn't advised at the time, I'd like to see someone challenge it

pete
08/04/2008, 11:53 AM
What airlines fly out of Knock? Do they all list this in "terms in conditions". Sounds like a shakedown by the mayo Mafia :p

osarusan
08/04/2008, 3:18 PM
isn't a "departure tax", as in departing the country? if you booked tickets and it wasn't advised at the time, I'd like to see someone challenge it
Thats what i was thinking. It sounds like somebody could challenge it pretty easily. It sounds like its illegal to order customers to do that.

OneRedArmy
08/04/2008, 4:04 PM
How can someone challenge a charge to use a facility?

You have a choice to use another airport.

Whilst I think the method of collection is ridiculous I don't think there's much can be done about it.

kingdom hoop
08/04/2008, 6:36 PM
if you booked tickets and it wasn't advised at the time, I'd like to see someone challenge it

It's not the airlines (the ones you're buying the ticket off) that are charging it though so it'd be different to ordinary terms of sale. There should be more co-operation between the airlines and the airport authorities alright though so that the customer is informed of it before they get to the airport. I seem to recall Ryanair getting in a huff (as usual) when the Kerry one was brought in with some dramatic "Don't Pay The Kerry Levy" campaign. Then they were told they'll still make money so they shut up, and eventually (I'm 99% certain) they subsumed the cost themselves rather than have their passengers pay it. If Knock is busy enough then they should have the negotiating power to get the airlines to pay it.

I suppose in certain ways it might be a bit comparable to not being allowed bring your own popcorn into cinemas - something which I vehemently believe should be illegal. Let's get a case going! :)

By the way Osarusan, drunken posts are always the best! (I'm not drunk, that's why my post's boring)

pete
08/04/2008, 10:29 PM
Airport taxes on the Aer Rianta airports at E5.50 to E7.50 is already paid on flight tickets per passenger so presumably this is another charge. Ryanair charge E17 taxes & fees from Dublin & E7 from Knock.

kingdom hoop
08/04/2008, 10:33 PM
Sounds very suspicious

You think maybe some geezer has just put up a stall, put on a uniform and started demanding a tenner off people? Knowing the people up there they'd probably fall for it and all.

:p