PDA

View Full Version : Have any Irish born people played for a foreign country?

Pages : [1] 2

sligobhoy67
06/04/2008, 9:52 PM
Willie Maley played for Scotland.

Any others

jmurphyc
06/04/2008, 9:58 PM
Anyone who's ever played for Northern Ireland. :p

Razors left peg
06/04/2008, 10:03 PM
brilliant:D:D

Qwerty
06/04/2008, 10:11 PM
Kyran Bracken in rugby.
Thomas Mitchell in cricket.
Also I think there is a current Australian international rugby player/swimmer who was born in Ireland but emigrated when he wavs very young.

No soccer player that I know of. O'Brien in the MLS would have been the closest call recently.

sligobhoy67
06/04/2008, 10:16 PM

I said foreign! back on topic please

sligobhoy67
06/04/2008, 10:18 PM
Kyran Bracken in rugby.
Also I think there is a current Australian international rugby player/swimmer who was born in Ireland but emigrated when he wavs very young.

No soccer player that I know of. O'Brien in the MLS would have been the closest call recently.

Football only - I'm not interested in joke sports

SkStu
06/04/2008, 10:21 PM
i represented Laos in a soccer world cup tournament here.
does that count? i think me and Willie could be the only irish born soccer players to ever represent another country.

nice wan.

sligobhoy67
06/04/2008, 10:27 PM
Jack Reynolds played for Ireland and then later played for England after he said he was actually born in Blackburn, although brought up in Antrim

jmurphyc
06/04/2008, 11:15 PM
I can't think of any myself off the top of my head, but we start seeing a few in about 10 years.

theworm2345
07/04/2008, 12:00 AM
Owen Nolan (ice hockey) is from Northern Ireland but represents Canada I think

tetsujin1979
07/04/2008, 1:07 AM
Wasn't there a goalkeeper who played under 16 for Ireland, and then changed allegiance to England? Think he played in a tournament as well for them.

boovidge
07/04/2008, 1:18 AM
I can't think of any myself off the top of my head, but we start seeing a few in about 10 years.

i wonder what the reaction will be if/when a Nigerian/polish lad declares for his parents' country?

"yer plastic polish traitor!" :p

Hibs4Ever
07/04/2008, 8:36 AM
Some guy played in goal for someone in Carribean, think it was Turks & Coco Islands. Played in their world cup qualifirers a few years back, against USA.

He was from Dublin, moved there with his work, banking or something. So maybe it was Caymen Islands even.

Will try look it up

ifk101
07/04/2008, 8:52 AM
I remember reading a newspaper article where Alan Lee was considering declaring for the US of A prior to his first cap for us.

Shedender81
07/04/2008, 10:50 AM
i represented Laos in a soccer world cup tournament here.
does that count? i think me and Willie could be the only irish born soccer players to ever represent another country.

nice wan.

Did you mean Laios ?

shedite
07/04/2008, 11:13 AM
Ed Joyce was born and raised in BRay before declaring for England for the Cricket World Cup last year.

pineapple stu
07/04/2008, 12:25 PM
I know a lad who's played international football for the Turks and Caicos Islands.

He was asked to head back one weekend to play in the World Cup on the Saturday, and for the rugby team on the Sunday, but he had repeats on, so had to give it a miss.

But I'd say fairly few overall. Laurence Roche (cycling) is one that springs to mind - he races for France, and is Stephen's son.

SaucyJack
07/04/2008, 12:44 PM
I know a lad who's played international football for the Turks and Caicos Islands.

He was asked to head back one weekend to play in the World Cup on the Saturday, and for the rugby team on the Sunday, but he had repeats on, so had to give it a miss.

But I'd say fairly few overall. Laurence Roche (cycling) is one that springs to mind - he races for France, and is Stephen's son.

I'm pretty sure Roche Jr. switched back to Ireland.

geysir
07/04/2008, 12:44 PM
In the 1960´s there was a top class marathon runner (from Limerick?) called Jim Hogan who competed for Britain. He had an Irish accent, so heavy that they needed an interpreter to translate it. He won a Euro gold medal but failed to deliver on expectations in the Olympics.

Torn-Ado
07/04/2008, 2:46 PM
I seen a setanta documentary on an Irish lad playing for Kazakhstan in rugby WC qualifiers.

ifk101
07/04/2008, 3:15 PM
I seen a setanta documentary on an Irish lad playing for Kazakhstan in rugby WC qualifiers.

I'm sure there must be one or two Irish born lads playing rugby for Sweden.

SkStu
07/04/2008, 7:33 PM
Did you mean Laios ?

id never represent Laois.

http://geology.com/world/laos-map.gif

Traps Cat
07/04/2008, 8:37 PM
Sean Sullivan - a Goalkeeper who got 3 caps for malta

http://www.maltafootball.com/national/players.shtml

pineapple stu
07/04/2008, 9:34 PM
I'm pretty sure Roche Jr. switched back to Ireland.
Just checked wikipedia there - Lawrence is Stephen's brother; Nicholas is his son and was born in France, and does seem to have redeclared for Ireland.

Snoop Drog
08/04/2008, 5:02 AM
Brian Carney is Cork born and was capped a dozen times or so for the Great Britain rugby league side.

padjoe
08/04/2008, 5:43 AM
Kyran Bracken in rugby.

any idea who the australian is?

Aberdonian Stu
08/04/2008, 10:30 AM

Assuming this is the same lad I know then he hasn't played for them yet. Also he wasn't Irish born, was born in T&C.

Dodge
08/04/2008, 10:46 AM
Just checked wikipedia there - Lawrence is Stephen's brother; Nicholas is his son and was born in France, and does seem to have redeclared for Ireland.

He raced in the world Championships for Ireland and never actually represented France.

Jerry The Saint
08/04/2008, 11:32 AM
Brian Carney is Cork born and was capped a dozen times or so for the Great Britain rugby league side.

GB&I at the time surely?

Played League (and Union) for Ireland when there was an Ireland team available, i.e. it was impossible for him to play against Ireland.

Dodge
08/04/2008, 11:37 AM
GB&I at the time surely?

Played League (and Union) for Ireland when there was an Ireland team available, i.e. it was impossible for him to play against Ireland.
Correct

endabob1
08/04/2008, 11:37 AM
GB&I at the time surely?

Exactly, same as playing for the Lions in Union

pineapple stu
08/04/2008, 12:40 PM
Assuming this is the same lad I know then he hasn't played for them yet. Also he wasn't Irish born, was born in T&C.
No, we know two different people from the T&C. ;)

Don't spoil my fun.

BobtheDrog
08/04/2008, 12:46 PM
kyran bracken was born in dublin

Dodge
08/04/2008, 1:56 PM
...and mentioned in the 4th post

Sheridan
08/04/2008, 3:18 PM
Don't think Sean Sullivan was born in Ireland, so still looking for a footballer.

Lots of cricketers; nine Irish-born players have played Test cricket for a total of three countries (England, Australia, South Africa) and Sir Tim O'Brien even captained England in Tests. Most recent was Larne's Martin McCague who played a few Ashes Tests for England in the early nineties. Obviously Ed Joyce has played ODIs for England since. At a lower level, former Irish international Jack Short from Cork emigrated to France and captained the national team there, notably to victory over MCC in the conclusion of a game that suffered the longest delay in history (revolution stopped play for 200 years.)

Snoop Drog
08/04/2008, 9:52 PM
any idea who the australian is?

Owen Finnegan, former Wallaby, has Irish heritage but is Australian born.

Eamon Sullivan, the Aussie swimmer and 50m world record holder, certainly has a very Irish name but was born in W.A.

Stevo Da Gull
09/04/2008, 1:11 AM
Owen Nolan (ice hockey) is from Northern Ireland but represents Canada I think

Yip. One of Six NHL players born in Ireland or Northern Ireland to play in the NHL, not sure if any of the others represented a nation though.

Raheen
09/04/2008, 7:42 AM

He's in today's Irish Times!

Did Gordon Brett ex-Galway Utd and Athlone Town play a few games for the Norn Irn U21's?? I could be very wrong on this.

paudie
09/04/2008, 1:41 PM
Didn't Jim Stynes play for Australia in "International Rules" against Ireland ....obviously?

paudie
09/04/2008, 1:43 PM
He raced in the world Championships for Ireland and never actually represented France.

Nicholas Roche was very prominent in the World Championship race last year IIRC. Saw it on Eurosport.

Wangball
09/04/2008, 4:01 PM
Owne Finnegan (The Aussie Rugby Player) was the only member of his family not born in Ireland, his parents, brothers & sisters all were....afaik!

rambler14
10/04/2008, 10:22 AM
Sonia O'Sullivan represented Austrailia at the Commonwealth games.

Luke O'Callaghan is the Irish fella playing rugby for Kazakhstan.

Dodge
10/04/2008, 10:27 AM
Sonia O'Sullivan represented Austrailia at the Commonwealth games.
No she didn't

rambler14
10/04/2008, 10:36 AM
No she didn't

It mightn't have been the Commonwealth games but she definetley applied for representation with Austrailia because the Irish Olympic Council refused to fund her competing anymore.

Dodge
10/04/2008, 11:09 AM
It mightn't have been the Commonwealth games but she definetley applied for representation with Austrailia because the Irish Olympic Council refused to fund her competing anymore.

Jaysus, you're way off.

She lives in Australia with her Aussie husband and had retired from full time athletics. The Aussies asked her to compete at the Ciommonwelath games and she thought about it but decided against it. In an interview before the Aussie trials she said she'd never compete in a championship against Irish athletes. It had nothing to do with funding.

She's now a coach with the Aussie team

Snoop Drog
10/04/2008, 11:25 AM
Jaysus, you're way off.

She lives in Australia with her Aussie husband and had retired from full time athletics. The Aussies asked her to compete at the Ciommonwelath games and she thought about it but decided against it. In an interview before the Aussie trials she said she'd never compete in a championship against Irish athletes. It had nothing to do with funding.

She's now a coach with the Aussie team

I seem to recall she decided to compete but failed to qualify.

Dodge
10/04/2008, 11:33 AM
actually i think she got injured...

rambler14
10/04/2008, 1:56 PM
In an interview before the Aussie trials she said she'd never compete in a championship against Irish athletes. It had nothing to do with funding.

Ireland arn't represented at the Commonwealth games so the above isn't a problem. She defo got injured otherwise she'd have represented the Aussie team.

Dodge
10/04/2008, 1:58 PM
I know...

But you're way off with the funding thing.

old git
11/04/2008, 8:46 AM
In the 1960´s there was a top class marathon runner (from Limerick?) called Jim Hogan who competed for Britain. He had an Irish accent, so heavy that they needed an interpreter to translate it. He won a Euro gold medal but failed to deliver on expectations in the Olympics.

yes your right story on him last night in the limerick post paper .. he moved to england but changed his second name by deed poll and was honoured to stand for god save the queen as his national anthem ... !!!!!!!!!