PDA

View Full Version : Cork 1-0 UCD

pineapple stu
05/04/2008, 5:30 PM
Robbed? Opinion seems to be unanimous that it wasn't a penalty; Gregg and Kenna got booked for complaining, and Gregg was over to O'Flynn very quickly to complain. But Cork had most of the play, Gregg made a couple of very good saves and was dominant in the air. That said, we possibly had two of the best chances through Byrne early on and Fitz's run and shot.

Bottom line, probably another defeat we should have turned into a draw. Should arguably have three extra points on the board at this stage. Can we afford to keep dropping points like this?

HarpoJoyce
05/04/2008, 7:22 PM
.... Can we afford to keep dropping points like this?

We have to take the bad with the good. But I would prefer to benefit when other clubs are having a slow start to the season. (Quite a number, in fact). We need to pick up points when the opponents are vunerable.

Now though with three games without a goal, in our next match a goal is our first priority.

DmanDmythDledge
05/04/2008, 11:45 PM
Bottom line, probably another defeat we should have turned into a draw. Should arguably have three extra points on the board at this stage. Can we afford to keep dropping points like this?
Only if we get the job done against the teams around us. Despite the manner of defeat, getting a point in Cork against one of the best teams in the league would always be considered an excellent result and one we wouldn't expect to get. Beating Cobh, Bray etc is the potential difference between them and us, picking up points in games like this would push us up from a relegation battle to mid table.

After saying that, however, I would be very dissapointed with anything less than a win against Drogheda next week. They have had a slow start to the season and were lucky to win at home against Galway, apparantly. They've yet to score away from home and their only goals came against Cobh. At the moment they are there for the taking.

Titan
06/04/2008, 10:21 AM
One positive was the Great away support!:eek:

pineapple stu
06/04/2008, 10:37 AM
After saying that, however, I would be very dissapointed with anything less than a win against Drogheda next week.
Would you come off your stupidly optimistic pills, FFS.

Yes, it's a good time to get them. However, to be very disappointed with anything other than a win against a full time team is ridiculous.

Poor Student
06/04/2008, 11:11 AM
After saying that, however, I would be very dissapointed with anything less than a win against Drogheda next week.

That's gonna come back to haunt you.;)

DmanDmythDledge
06/04/2008, 6:32 PM
Would you come off your stupidly optimistic pills, FFS.

Yes, it's a good time to get them. However, to be very disappointed with anything other than a win against a full time team is ridiculous.
So you would not be dissapointed if we lost to Galway or Harps? Full time is beside the point anyway.

Drogheda have had a very poor start to the season, which has been noted by their fans, opposition fans and the media. They have been poor and are not at full strength at the moment. Last season we matched them and that was when they had a stronger team and were in decent form, although our lineup is slightly weaker now. We are playing well and creating chances. Drogheda's hoofing will suit our defence. Unless Drogheda vastly improve on their performances this season to date I would be dissapointed if we don't take the three points. At the end of the season, however, if we fail to have done so it wouldn't bother me because, as I have already pointed out, the games against the top sides in the league will not decide our fate next season.

That's gonna come back to haunt you.;)
Haunt? Couldn't care less if I'm right or wrong about trivial message board posts; all I want is to see the players give 100% and perform to the best of their abilities.

pineapple stu
06/04/2008, 7:15 PM
Dig dig dig dig...

pineapple stu
06/04/2008, 8:44 PM
A controversial penalty from Dave Mooney was all that separated UCD and Cork City in Turner's Cross on Friday night. While Cork had the better of the play, UCD's defence had dealt comfortably enough with most of what was thrown at them and Pete Mahon could well claim that, for the third time this season, his team has come away with nothing from a game where they deserved a point.

UCD reverted back to the 4-5-1 formation which served the so wel in the bigger games last season, with Shane Fitzgerald in for his first start of the season in place of Timmy Purcell. Ian Bermingham still hadn't recovered from the injury picked up in Donegal, and so Killian Gallagher kept his place.

The Students had the first chance of the game - Paul Byrne was set up by Pat McWalter, but he skied over from six yards out when he really should have done better. Cork were next to have a chance, but George O'Callaghan was brilliantly tackled as he broke into the box. Another weak lob over by Byrne and a lob wide by Cork when Matt Gregg's punch only found the edge of the box ensured a very open 15 minutes and showed the Students certainly were well up for the fight.

Eight minutes before the break, Shane Fitzgerald picked the ball up midway inside his own half and started off on a superb 50-yard run, during which he left three Cork defenders in his wake and then nearly capped it off with a goal only for his powerful shot to be pushed away by Mick Devine for a corner.

UCD had another excellent chance shortly after the re-start when Brian Shortall scooped over from four yards before Cork started to turn the screw. Up until then, their only real threats had been crosses whipped in which Matt Gregg had been mopping up with ease. But in the space of ten minutes, John O'Flynn, George O'Callaghan and O'flynn again all forced fine saves from the UCD netminder.

The crucial moment of the game came on 65 minutes. O'Flynn burst into the box and, as Brian Shortall came across to challenge, O'Flynn dropped to the ground under minimal contact to win the penalty. Matt Gregg was straight over to voice his frustrations to the Cork forward, getting booked for his troubles, as did captain Conor Kenna. However, the protests were in vain, and Dave Mooney blasted home the kick, although Gregg was close to getting a hand to it.

Pete Mahon responded by going 4-4-2, bringing on Timmy Purcell for Killian Gallagher. The roles were reversed now, with Cork content to sit with what they had while UCD chased the game. Immediately, UCD started to cause the home defence problems, with McWalter shooting weakly after getting into a good position on the edge of the box and Paul Byrne close to applying the finishing touch to Conor Kenna's header. Cork did steady the ship though, and could well have sealed the points through Danny Murphy only for his drive to whistle wide of Gregg's far post. It mattered not, however, as they saw through four minutes of injuryt ime to move past UCD into the top half of the table.

UCD - Gregg; Mahon, Gallagher (Purcell 70), Kenna, Shortall; McNally, King, Fitzgerald, McWalter, Finn; Byrne. Subs not used - Reilly, Brennan, Forsyth, McMillan.

Att - 3460

pineapple stu
08/04/2008, 12:43 PM
Just saw Fitz's run in full there on MNS...quality stuff, but he had time for another touch I think...

pineapple stu
10/04/2008, 7:26 PM
Conor Kenna in the eleven a side Team of the Week (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/blogs/viewblog.asp?bid=168).