PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 or PS3

Pages : [1] 2

Neish
05/04/2008, 12:34 PM
Getting a bit bored of the PS2 and thinking of getting a new console, have asked a few people and I'm stuck between Xbox 360 & PS3. PS3 seems better but also seems considerably more expensive. And Xbox also seems to have a superior games range.

Would like to know what people on here that have palyed either or both think?

niallsparky
05/04/2008, 2:01 PM
Xbox360 is the better console overall IMO especially if you're going to play online.

gilberto_eire
05/04/2008, 3:52 PM
Xbox is not meant to be the most reliable machine anyway, heard of tonnes of people who's systems broke down rather easily!!

The PS3 is'nt expensive at all these days, you need to compare the ''Xbox elite'' to the PS3 to get a fair reflection and im pretty sure the last time i checked the Elite was actaully dearer then the PS3

See the grid here for what differances there is with the consoles they sell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360

If you want it for online gaming, connection wise i hear the Xbox is better but i don't think the Core comes with built in wireless(i think the Elite does but its €400 and dearer then a PS3). Also there's a charge on the ''Xbox live'' network, i think it's €10 a year now, it was €60 even just before xmas :eek:. PS3 is free!

Game selection defo goes to the 360 but the PS3 is catching up and has more of the better exclusives i.e Getaway, Socom, MGS 4, Gran Turismo(to name but a few)

I have a PS3 myself and would'nt dream of swopping it for a 360 tbh, any lads i know who are upgrading now are getting what they already have(have/had a PS2 are going for the PS3, which was'nt the case a few months ago)

I's be VERY surprised if Sony is'nt back on top by next xmas again, after all Microsoft knew they could'nt compete head to head with the PS3 so released there console over a year earlier, and it paid off, but overall it's an inferior machine as the next few years will come to show and Blu-Ray has all but won over the HD-DVD!

anto1208
05/04/2008, 11:48 PM
Ive both and while i was blown away by the xbox when i first got it i have to admit the PS3 is a step up again.

On the games front its pretty much the same the xbox has way more games but they arent that good so its a pointless arguement all the big games are out on both there are afew exclusives gears of war being the best of the xbox ones . Haze being one of the ps3's best.

All you really need is call of duty anyway.

On the online gaming xbox live is way better its faster and easier to get around but all that does is lets you down load demos or buy old arcade games movies . the ps3 one is quite slow and not too user friendly but they are revamping it soon so that should fix it.

For playing online games both are pretty much the same the xbox again lets you start a chat session and then enter games still chatting but ps3 wil cut it off untill your in the game. Ps3 is free which is a big bonus.

i use the Ps3 way more but thats because my mates have them and ive COD on it so im on it all the time. xbox is still a great console best bet is to have a look see which has the games you want out and coming soon make your choice that way .

Neish
06/04/2008, 10:04 AM
Cheers for the advise, think I'll go for the PS3 then. One more question could you recomend a couple games to get me started. I prefer GTA type games, Spliner cell games and shot em up games. So anything along these lines would be great.

gilberto_eire
06/04/2008, 2:12 PM
Cheers for the advise, think I'll go for the PS3 then. One more question could you recomend a couple games to get me started. I prefer GTA type games, Spliner cell games and shot em up games. So anything along these lines would be great.

Id reccomend all the Tom Clancy games anyway. ''R6 Vegas 1+2'', ''Splinter Cell Double Agent'', ''Ghost Recon 2'' was probably the best out of the lot of them and the graphics were stunning, you'll get good online time out of the Clancy games too!.

SligoBrewer
06/04/2008, 2:28 PM
I'd buy an Xbox if I was buying a console now. Failing that a Wii.

The RROD has a 3 year warranty against it and we still don't know how reliable the PS3 is. It's cheaper, better games and has better online gaming against the PS3.

GTA will be coming to the Xbox, as will all major releases bar GT5.

PS2 emulation is now non existant as well. IMO, the only thing the PS3 has going for it is blu-ray and Gran Turismo 5.

Green_Hoop
06/04/2008, 7:25 PM
Aye I'd agree with SilgoBrewer,the only real thing the PS3 has going for it is Blueray and GT5 apart from that the 360 has it beaten on the majority,their online gaming section is superb(in fairness €10 a year is nothing).

The PS3 are slightly dearer.

Lack of a wide choice on the PS3 that the xbox has covered and probably more,theres nothing that the PS3 has that won't be out on the xbox within the year bar one or two titles..

And on the plus side its a hell of alot cheaper..

Basically if your online gaming,the 360 is for you,if you want a media center outlet that connects from your PC ,the 360 is for you. If you want to buy the over priced Blue ray DvD's, then its a PS3 you want.

Boo_Boy
07/04/2008, 12:16 AM
Dont foget about Call Of Duty 4, by far the best shooter out right now, played Tom Clancy's RB6V2 yesteday and COD 4 is in a different league compared to it.

harpstilidie
07/04/2008, 8:41 AM
Call of Duty is amazing! Playing online is mad craic!

anto1208
07/04/2008, 8:49 AM
I dont know what the lads are talking about online gaming is the same on both consoles there isnt one bit of difference. COD4 on xbox is the same as PS3 .

There is a tiny difference when browsing the live section to download demos / old games that difference being it takes 2 seconds for x box to open the page 3secs for playstation hardly worth a tenner for a service that should be free.

Again xbox has tonnes of games but tonnes of rubbish games are no use to you all the good games are also on PS3 and vice versa. the hand full of exclusives on each machine are not selling points for either. Halo 3 masive dissapointment. I traded it in after a week.and unchartered on ps3 again finished and traded in within a week.

I have both and both are struggling to bring out good games there is a big wait for games then a big dissapointment as yet another game that comes out isnt as good a COD4

Blue ray is class thats why xbox are releasing there own blue ray add on ! but again not a major selling point. As a games console is for gaming.

My xbox at least once a day spits out a disk telling me its dirty ( even with brand new disks with out even a spec of dust on them ) loosing all my progress in a game. the ring of death thing as well is a major factor they will fix your console but it takes a month. ive never had 1 single problem with my ps3 after 1 year now.

Between the two there is very little difference at the moment but having looked at the same game on both i think the ps3 is better its better at doing fire and explosions anyway thats for sure.

Games you ll want on either machine

Call of duty 4 Is all you need
Rainbow 6 24 euro on play.com
Ghost recon 2 25 euro
spliter cell 25 euro
Condemned 1 or 2 very good .

grand theft auto4 and haze are out in the next month or 2 .

ifk101
07/04/2008, 9:05 AM
I've an xbox360 and I haven't had any technical problems with it (so far, it'll probably breakdown now :D)

I'd use it for streaming films, music and photos to my telly and it does these things without any problems. Online gaming is a bit of a hit and miss. You have to pay a fee for it (whatever you do don't pay for it with your credit card details as you'll be a xbox live customer for life) and there's no dedicated game server for online games. This becomes an issue if your connection to the game's host isn't good, something you'll notice in shooter games. I'd be fond on the football games but the last PES game on the xbox was a big disappointment - there was so much lag that it was impossible to play online and consequently I sold it.

anto1208
07/04/2008, 9:18 AM
Sony has dedicated servers for games , Pro evo is terrible on both consoles stay well away from it.

i forgot half life 2 the orange box great game to get you started graphics arent brilliant but its massive and really enjoyable. id say get that and COD4

Also the Xbox online gaming is full of little idiots shouting racist anti gay nonsense you get it too on PS3 but for some reason its far far worse on xbox its rare enough ive come across any one being overly abusive on PSN.

gilberto_eire
07/04/2008, 3:26 PM
I'd buy an Xbox if I was buying a console now. Failing that a Wii.

The RROD has a 3 year warranty against it and we still don't know how reliable the PS3 is. It's cheaper, better games and has better online gaming against the PS3.

GTA will be coming to the Xbox, as will all major releases bar GT5.

PS2 emulation is now non existant as well. IMO, the only thing the PS3 has going for it is blu-ray and Gran Turismo 5.

Depends what you mean by ''All major releases'' if he liked ''The Getaway'', ''Metal Gear Solid'' and ''Socom Navy Seals''(they were just 3 i remembered i wanted as much as GTA there are loads of others that people might want) then he won't be able to get them on the 360

It's not really cheaper either, the cheap version(core?) is a heap of junk and requires a few quid to get it up to what the PS3 offers, you would really want the ''Elite'' which is dearer then the PS3!!

edit: Agree on ''Orange Box'' just got it because there was nothing out and i heard it was value for money, not really into shooting games that are unrealistic(i mean in terms of time-era, enemies you battle etc.....) but this was an exception, also found it pretty scary at times when playing it at 2/3am with the volume up and house quiet!

gilberto_eire
07/04/2008, 3:44 PM
I think another thing to ponder is where do you want to be in 2/3 years?.

Xbox or PS3?.

You would have to say looking at gaming the past 10years+ that Sony's side would be the smarter to be on, the last Xbox was a disaster and i barely knew one person with one!. If both consoles came out the same time it would be a no-brainer, Microsoft knew they could'nt compete so got there's out early, smart move and it paid off.
But from what i've read about the PS3, it's power has'nt even been reached yet and won't for another while, while the Xbox is running at close to it's capabilities!.

If you look at past exclusives the PS had the better ones no doubt, who's to say a few more new franchises don't come on board for Sony over the next while to compare to the likes of MGS?. Same could be said of the Xbox (Halo etc.) but as i said you can't predict the future so you have to judge by the past, and with that Sony would seem to be the place to be in a few years!!.

I've always been a PS fan and i bought mine before the 40GB came out(paid €500 for the console second hand with nothing bar a controller), regardless of price it was PS3 or nothing for me anyway!!

anto1208
07/04/2008, 3:55 PM
I had the ps2 and xbox 1 and the xbox was by far the better console it was light years ahead of the ps2 i loved it i only ever played pro evo on ps2 everything else i had on xbox.

this time though the Ps3 i think is better , its curently using about 1/3 of it power and running massive games effortlessly while the xbox sounds like its going to take off games gitter and it just feels like its at capacity ( no technical data to back that up ). Now i think the elite was a complete remake so maybe thats better.

But its well know now that microsoft rushed the release ( and it shows )to beat sony while sony took there time to get it right. Im sure there is much more to come from both consoles and in 5 years if one does push out in front you could allways change as they are so cheap now.

Biggest thing is if your mates have a PS or xbox as you will be playign with them online and will use it way more online than in single player games.

Neish
07/04/2008, 4:18 PM
Cheers for the advise bought the PS3 today with Rainbox 6, only played for about 30min so havn't really formed any opinion as yet.

Boo_Boy
07/04/2008, 4:53 PM
Cheers for the advise bought the PS3 today with Rainbox 6, only played for about 30min so havn't really formed any opinion as yet.

tell us what you think of it when you have a few hrs of gameplay.

I think its horrible!,get COD:4!!!:D

harpstilidie
08/04/2008, 8:57 AM

Get COD4 and give us your PSN name for a bit of COD Harps style!

Boo_Boy
09/04/2008, 3:01 AM
Get COD4 and give us your PSN name for a bit of COD Harps style!

and what style would that be?

Limerick have taken 'Knives Style',Sligo have taken 'Guns Style'.:p

I hear 'Bazooka Style' is still free...:D

harpstilidie
09/04/2008, 9:21 AM

Bazooka Style sounds good Boo Boy although in Donegal we might as well go Pitchfork style since we are the culchies and all! :D

Neish
09/04/2008, 6:58 PM

This is Donegal style

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/humanbody/sleep/sheep/reaction_version5.swf

jebus
24/04/2008, 12:23 PM
Right PS3 owners can any of you tell me if a 40gb PS3 with Assasains Creed for €400 is worth it?

Boo_Boy
24/04/2008, 12:31 PM
Right PS3 owners can any of you tell me if a 40gb PS3 with Assasains Creed for €400 is worth it?

seems like a good deal, what shop is that offer in?

anto1208
24/04/2008, 12:43 PM

Yea and no :)

40gb PS3 new on its own i think is 399 so your getting a free game but assasains creed isnt great i couldnt get into it, it looks amazing but becomes quite repetitive quite quickly.You kill a guy go back to where you started go kill another guy back to where you started . There is a lot or running to where you need to go aswell as each time you get taken back to a point miles from the action.

Its the kind of game you could spend hours exploring and never coming close to seeing everything. It depends what kind of games you like Call of duty 4 is the best game in most peoples eyes. Best graphics ever seen on a console and very playable and great online.

What kind of games are you into RPG, Footy games or action FPS/TPS ?

My top games at the moment

COD4 (First person shooter modern warfare)
Condemned 2 (messed up first person shooter/ fighting/ forensic detective)
Rock band (Music)
Guitar hero (Music)
Orange box (first person shooter/puzzle)

gilberto_eire
24/04/2008, 12:43 PM

Basically......NO!!.

Not sure what the RRP is but that game is terrible and only has good graphics going for it, that's great for about an hour then you just really want to enyou the game which is HIGHLY repetitive from start to finish!!. Was easily the worst game i purchased thus far and did'nt live up to the hype IMO, flashy looks only go so far!!. I could have been sure i saw some decent deals up town with better games for less then €400:confused:

Im heading up that way anyway so will post later when i have a look, seems pricey to me!!

Boo_Boy
24/04/2008, 12:55 PM
Im hate Assasins Creed too but like it has been said a 40gb PS3 is €399 with no extras.

Im sure they will let you choose a different game if you ask nicely!

jebus
24/04/2008, 2:07 PM
Cheers lads. That price comes from HMV, to be honest I only took a quick look around there and GameStop on my lunch so there could be better deals lurking around. The type of games I'm into are mostly RPG or first person shooters, so I was looking for Call of Duty 4 in a bundle deal as I have heard it's the greatest game of all time (Final Fantasy 7 for me is the greatest game of all time and it will take some beating in my eyes :))

anto1208
24/04/2008, 2:34 PM
Cheers lads. That price comes from HMV, to be honest I only took a quick look around there and GameStop on my lunch so there could be better deals lurking around. The type of games I'm into are mostly RPG or first person shooters, so I was looking for Call of Duty 4 in a bundle deal as I have heard it's the greatest game of all time (Final Fantasy 7 for me is the greatest game of all time and it will take some beating in my eyes :))

Smyths and game are prob better than those two HMV are very expensive and gamestop are all over the place. Xtra vision is actually quite good.

COD4 is the best game online ( 1 player is short but still brilliant 7 hours )

There arent too many rpgs on ps3 ( i have heard a rumour FF7 is being remade for it but nothing official ) Oblivian is ment to be good but again i had it but didnt like it i dont have time to get into RPG's even though i like them so i stick to FPS that i can jump in and out of.

What about GTA4 out next tuesday half way between both RPG and TPS.

Do you nto work in HMV do you get a staff discount or know anyone in a shop ?

jebus
24/04/2008, 2:40 PM
What about GTA4 out next tuesday half way between both RPG and TPS.

Do you nto work in HMV do you get a staff discount or know anyone in a shop ?

Haven't seen anything about GTA4 bundle packs to be honest, and from working in Game and HMV in my time they normally don't put a big release like that with a bundle pack as but the console and GTA would shift themselves. Suppose if Assassins Creed wasn't as good as it wa smenat to be the sales could have been down and they need to get rid of surplus stock, hence bundle packing it.

Used to work in HMV about 7 years ago so doubt they'd still give me the discount :)

tetsujin1979
24/04/2008, 2:45 PM
Haven't seen anything about GTA4 bundle packs to be honest, and from working in Game and HMV in my time they normally don't put a big release like that with a bundle pack as but the console and GTA would shift themselves.
sony confirm PS3 GTA IV bundle pack: http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/868/868767p1.html

anto1208
24/04/2008, 11:51 PM
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055273001

This might be some use to you on this thread they say a ps3 with drakes fortune and GT for 380 ! great deal Drakes fortune is very good to play through once not a keeper but a good game shooter/adventure puzzles kinda game similar to tomb raider.

GTA4 deal will be 429 according to them.

sligoman
28/04/2008, 11:17 PM
Can PS2 games only be played on the 60GB PS3? Thinking about buying one but they're no longer making the 60GB one and I'd want to be playing PS2 games on it too though.

anto1208
29/04/2008, 8:41 AM
Can PS2 games only be played on the 60GB PS3? Thinking about buying one but they're no longer making the 60GB one and I'd want to be playing PS2 games on it too though.

Yea that’s right they got rid of it on the 40gb model as sont said its pretty much pointless. once you have played a few ps3 games going back wards is horrible. If you really want to play PS2 games id recommend just picking up a 2nd hand ps2 for 50-70 euro, All though it improves the graphics a lot its not a major selling point as there is tons of good games out now.

Mine is the 60 gb one with emulator software installed not the chip, I got God of war & resi evil 4 when I was waiting on games to come out and killzone this week as I’ve never played it but there are still so far away from the new games. Ive found myself getting lost in the new games as they are so real but the ps2 games just feel like video games ( if that makes any sense). I rarely find myself rushing back to the games no matter how good they are.

Id say its only a matter of time before you will be able to download the PS2 games you can download old PS1 games at the moment like Theme hospital, wipeout, fade to black and command and conquer. For 5 euro.

You may be lucky and find a 60gb one in a shop somewhere i saw a link to somewhere selling ones with damaged boxes recently for £230 sterling ill have a look for it see if i can find it for you.

sligoman
30/04/2008, 5:32 PM
You may be lucky and find a 60gb one in a shop somewhere i saw a link to somewhere selling ones with damaged boxes recently for £230 sterling ill have a look for it see if i can find it for you.Any luck?

anto1208
01/05/2008, 10:13 AM
Any luck?

Found the the site i was thinking of, but it was selling the 40gb one sorry but i did find this guy selling one its a good price. 440

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=54722

Flawless
01/05/2008, 1:04 PM
Ring a few of the gamestop stores, it is possible there may be some second hand 60gb versions available..

sligoman
01/05/2008, 2:11 PM
Ring a few of the gamestop stores, it is possible there may be some second hand 60gb versions available..I'd be worried as to why they're 2nd hand though. I'd prefer a new one tbh.

anto1208
01/05/2008, 4:19 PM
I'd be worried as to why they're 2nd hand though. I'd prefer a new one tbh.

Lots of people bought them before they had the software support and traded them in for xboxs etc . The stores all test them and give you a years garuntee , id have no worries about buying one at all.

Prob your only option if you really want backwards compatibilty.

But take my word for it one go on COD4 and you ll never look back !!:D

sligoman
01/05/2008, 4:35 PM
The only reason I want the 60gb one is to play my current PS2 games on it, it's not that I just want to go backwards.

anto1208
01/05/2008, 11:18 PM
The only reason I want the 60gb one is to play my current PS2 games on it, it's not that I just want to go backwards.

I take it you have a ps2 now so ? why not just keep it ? and get the 40gb one . the 60 gb one is more expensive and all you ll get for a ps2 trade in is 50 or 60 quid

sligoman
01/05/2008, 11:55 PM
I suppose. Right, so where/what's the best deals on PS3's at the moment. Ebay?

EDIT: This looks like a good deal (http://cgi.ebay.ie/BRAND-NEW-SEALED-40GB-SONY-PLAYSTATION-3_W0QQitemZ320246920089QQihZ011QQcategoryZ149492QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem):D. Interesting to see what price it ends up at.

anto1208
02/05/2008, 8:40 AM
GTA4 pack 429 in most shops.

Smyths and xtra vision are the best for trading games ( never use gamestop to buy or sell games )

This site is good for importing games www.videogamesplas.ca they are normally around 40 ( 5 then for postage ).

Best games are GTA4 and COD4 thats a good splace to start anyway.

DmanDmythDledge
20/06/2008, 12:29 PM
Looking to buy one of these but not sure which to get. Not really into gaming all that much so I would be only buying a few of the bigger games, like GTA or Pro Evo. Won't be using it for online gaming either.

What are the controls on the Xbox like? I've always had a sony console so I'm used to it, but it would hardly be that difficult to get used to?

Can't find prices for PS3 anywhere- know that Xbox is €200 so that might swing it.

anto1208
20/06/2008, 12:56 PM
If you dont game a lot then the cheaper xbox is prob your best bet but its a stripped down version no hard drive so you cant save your songs movies etc to it .

I would recomend to get a 40gb ps3 or an xbox elite both around the 400-450 mark with a game.

I prefer the PS3 but i also like the xbox both are great machines both have more or less the same games ( ps3 has metal gear solid which is brilliant xbox has Halo which is very poor in fairness ).

Have a look at the games out on each see which suits you, i think if your used to sony stick with it.

For games xbox use www.play-asia.com and for xbox and ps3 use www.videogamesplus.ca

I used to play pro evo on the ps2 and thats about all wouldnt game for more than 2 hours now ive put down 7-8 hours sessions the ps3 is so impressive.

shakermaker1982
20/06/2008, 1:05 PM
Just bought an XBOX 360 (PRO) off amazon yesterday and it arrived this morning. Halo 3 and the console for 199.99 sterling. Off to buy Euro 2008 later today. The graphics for Halo 3 are quality.

anto1208
20/06/2008, 4:12 PM
Which ever way you go xbox or ps3 the must have games are call of duty 4 and grant theft auto 4 .

I would wait for the new pro evo they are doing a total revamp of it because the 2008 one got such a hard time from the punters.

I would recomend getting online if you can get broadband i was allways sceptical of going online as i thought it would be full of nerds that do nothing but play the game and you will just get murdered but its not like that it really is mixed. online is where the main focus of the developers energy goes.

I spent 7 hours finishing the 1 player game of COD4 and so far ive 3 full days of it played online , one of my mates has 16 days ( yes thats 16 24 hour days playing 1 game ) thats value for money.

DmanDmythDledge
20/06/2008, 4:15 PM
If you dont game a lot then the cheaper xbox is prob your best bet but its a stripped down version no hard drive so you cant save your songs movies etc to it .

I would recomend to get a 40gb ps3 or an xbox elite both around the 400-450 mark with a game.

prefer the PS3 but i also like the xbox both are great machines both have more or less the same games ( ps3 has metal gear solid which is brilliant xbox has Halo which is very poor in fairness ).

Have a look at the games out on each see which suits you, i think if your used to sony stick with it.

For games xbox use www.play-asia.com (http://www.play-asia.com/) and for xbox and ps3 use www.videogamesplus.ca (http://www.videogamesplus.ca/)

I used to play pro evo on the ps2 and thats about all wouldnt game for more than 2 hours now ive put down 7-8 hours sessions the ps3 is so impressive.
I wouldn't be bothered using it for songs, music, all that sort of stuff. €400 would be a bit much considering what I'm looking for so I think i will go for the €200 Xbox. Cheers Anto.

anto1208
20/06/2008, 4:31 PM
I wouldn't be bothered using it for songs, music, all that sort of stuff. €400 would be a bit much considering what I'm looking for so I think i will go for the €200 Xbox. Cheers Anto.

Its still a good machine.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/search.aspx?q=xbox%20360%20console

This is a list of the xbox's available i would recomend getting the GTA4 pack for 300 its the xbox 1 step up from the 200 euro xbox, you get a 20 gb hard drive ( which is enough for you id say ) this will let you download playable demo's so you can try the game before you buy it , copy music ( you can listen to your own music in game which is a great feature ). plus GTA4 will cost you 60 notes anyway so its a good deal.

Oh yea and gears of war i forgot that a must buy for xbox you should get it on platinium now for 20 -30 euro.

DmanDmythDledge
20/06/2008, 4:44 PM
Its still a good machine.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/search.aspx?q=xbox%20360%20console

This is a list of the xbox's available i would recomend getting the GTA4 pack for 300 its the xbox 1 step up from the 200 euro xbox, you get a 20 gb hard drive ( which is enough for you id say ) this will let you download playable demo's so you can try the game before you buy it , copy music ( you can listen to your own music in game which is a great feature ). plus GTA4 will cost you 60 notes anyway so its a good deal.
That looks very good; so it's basically just €40 extra for the better console as I would be buying GTA anyway. Think I will definitely go for that unless you come up with any better special offers.;)