PDA

View Full Version : Last LOI player to...?

bennocelt
04/04/2008, 10:31 PM
Looking at the Norn iron game a week or so ago, and the Irish League player poxed a goal, made me wonder when and who was the last LOI player to score a goal for his country?:)

Aaron
04/04/2008, 10:36 PM
Who was the last LOI player to be selected for his country never mind score for them:mad::mad:

I think also Paddy McCourt should be getting a look in for Norn Irn, mystifying as to why he isnt being selected

Flexy
04/04/2008, 10:41 PM
Hes better playing were he is at the moment with us, we need him more than he needs northern ireland, im sure brucey waide and co would like to see how he performs up at windsor.

Flexy
04/04/2008, 10:42 PM
Looking at the Norn iron game a week or so ago, and the Irish League player poxed a goal, made me wonder when and who was the last LOI player to score a goal for his country?:)
Was it not Ray tracey in the late 70's

dcfc_1928
04/04/2008, 10:53 PM
Wesley Charles?

Scored for St Vincents & Grenadines in Nov 2006 vs Bahamas

paudie
04/04/2008, 11:16 PM
Who was the last LOI player to be selected for his country never mind score for them:mad::mad:

Joe Gamble played a couple of games on the US tour in the summer of 06.

Big Ears
04/04/2008, 11:21 PM
Joe Gamble played a couple of games on the US tour in the summer of 06.

That was actually only the summer of last year not 2006 .

BacRod
04/04/2008, 11:55 PM
Stephen Kenny said in the Derry News last week that he felt Paddy McCourt wasn't being selected for political reasons. (I understand this forum has fairly strict rules around quoting sources. I'm only new here, if this post infringes any then would someone give me a shout. I don't want banning, like).

Personally, I'm not sure. I think it might be because Paddy doesn't play at the high standard he's known for consistently enough, although that does seem to have changed this season.

He definitely used to have fifteen or twenty minutes of brilliance in a match, then he wouldn't feature enough in the rest of it.

As well as that, last season and the season before that, he seemed to only really have one trick: Down the wing, then cut inside and lose the ball.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great player, but he does have his flaws.

Surely the two most commonly heard phrases at the Brandywell of a Friday night must be:

"gone on Paddy, that's it, gone on"

and

"Awk, fer ****'s sake Paddy."

A bit off topic, but there's my thoughts.

Magicme
05/04/2008, 12:02 AM

Monaghan United's Darren Meenan was playing for the NI U21s the other night

forza rovers
05/04/2008, 7:16 AM
rommy boco for Benin i think

Shedender81
05/04/2008, 8:28 AM
Was it not Ray tracey in the late 70's

I think Ray was playing in England at the time,,,,,, Turley O'Conner would be my shout in about 1972

HarpsinDublin
05/04/2008, 10:13 AM
I think Ray was playing in England at the time,,,,,, Turley O'Conner would be my shout in about 1972

I think it is Miah Dennehy in 1973 V Poland

Martinho II
05/04/2008, 11:03 AM
just wondering when pat byrne played for ireland in 1986 did he score at all????

Terry
05/04/2008, 11:08 AM
what about Ibrahima Thiam Iyane

Dodge
05/04/2008, 6:20 PM
what about Ibrahima Thiam Iyane

:D

No player has scored for his country while playing with Pats.

RiffRaff
05/04/2008, 8:10 PM

John Giles continued to pick himself, Paddy Mulligan and Ray Treacy after they signed for Shamrock Rovers and i'm pretty sure i remember Treacy scoring a couple of goals in a friendly against Turkey, probably 78 or 79.

forza rovers
05/04/2008, 9:32 PM
gavin peers u23

Superhoops
05/04/2008, 11:33 PM
just wondering when pat byrne played for ireland in 1986 did he score at all????
No, he won 8 caps between 1984 and1986 but never scored.

I think it is Miah Dennehy in 1973 V Poland
He was playing for Notts Forest at the time.

John Giles continued to pick himself, Paddy Mulligan and Ray Treacy after they signed for Shamrock Rovers and i'm pretty sure i remember Treacy scoring a couple of goals in a friendly against Turkey, probably 78 or 79. Yeah agree with that, in a 4-2 win in April 78 at Lansdowne, Giles and Paul McGee got the other 2. Treacy also missed a penalty. Four LOI players played that day, Giles, Treacy and Noel Synnott (Rovers) and Synan Braddish (Dundalk) came on as sub

In June 1972, Ireland played 4 games in 2 weeks in the Brazilian Independence Cup. LOI players scored in three of the four games
- Iran 1 ROI 2. Scorers: Mick Leech (Rovers) and Don Givens
- Ecuador 2 ROI 3. Scorers: Eamonn Rogers, Mick Martin (Bohs), Turlough O'Connor (Dundalk)
- Chile 2 ROI 1. Scorer: Eamon Rogers
- Portugal 2 ROI 1. Scorer; Mick Leech (Rovers)

alabama rover
07/04/2008, 3:33 AM
Liam O'Brien (b. September 5, 1964, Dublin) is a former footballer who played for Bohemians, Shamrock Rovers, Manchester United, Newcastle United and Tranmere Rovers and Cork City.

Liam O'Brien began his career with the Schoolboy Club Stella Maris F.C. the renowned nursey in Drumcondra when he finished as a schoolboy he began senior football under Billy Young at Bohemians.

After having won the League of Ireland championship with Shamrock Rovers in 1986 and making 6 appearances in European competition, O'Brien became Ron Atkinson’s last signing as manager of Manchester United when he joined the reds for an initial fee of £50,000 [1].

O'Brien made his debut for Alex Ferguson in the 1986/87 season, making nine appearances. The majority of his appearances in the 1987/88 season were as a substitute and that summer, frustrated by lack of first-team opportunities, he joined Newcastle United in a £275,000 move after 36 appearances for United . His career at St James' Park brought mixed fortunes. O'Brien suffered relegation from the top flight in the 1988/89 season. However, he played a major role as Newcastle won the Division One Championship in 1993, making 33 appearances and scoring six goals.
O'Brien found himself surplus to requirements as Newcastle rejoined the top flight and subsequently made a £350,000 move to Tranmere Rovers after a successful loan period. After Tranmere he signed for Cork City F.C. before returning to Bohemians in 2000 as player/coach. He enjoyed some great European nights during this season as Bohs knocked out Aberdeen and beat Kaiserslautern. He also played a part as Bohs won the League and Cup Double before hanging up his boots. He then went on to be assistant manager at Bohemians and Shamrock Rovers.

O'Brien was also a Republic of Ireland international, winning his first cap while still at Shamrock Rovers. In all he won 16 caps as well as an U23 cap and was part of the 1988 European Championship squad.
O'Brien is currently assistant manager of Bohemians.

..............I believe his first Cap was in Nov 1986 (a friendly against Poland in Warsaw as part of Euro 88 qualification preparations that Ireland Lost 1-0).

Superhoops
07/04/2008, 6:30 AM
.....O'Brien was also a Republic of Ireland international, winning his first cap while still at Shamrock Rovers. In all he won 16 caps as well as an U23 cap and was part of the 1988 European Championship squad.
O'Brien is currently assistant manager of Bohemians.

..............I believe his first Cap was in Nov 1986 (a friendly against Poland in Warsaw as part of Euro 88 qualification preparations that Ireland Lost 1-0).
First cap was in a 1-1 draw against Uruguay at Lansdowne Road in April 1986. Did not get second cap until over a year later when he had signed for Man.Utd. in the 1-0 win over Brazil at Lansdowne Road in May 1987.