PDA

View Full Version : Derek Coughlan

liams
16/07/2003, 12:53 PM
PREVIEW Heary set for central role

Former Irish underage captain Thomas Heary is expected to take his place in an unaccustomed role in the centre of defence as Bohemians kickstart their Uefa Champions League qualification tilt in Belarus against BATE Borisov this afternoon (4pm).

Bohs boss Steohen Kenny has something of a crisis in defence ahead of this tie, with Paul McNally and first-choice pair Ken Oman and Colin Hawkins all nursing various knocks, and Derek Coughlan having left the club.

Taken from eleven aside

Anybody know why Derek has left Boez and where he might be gone.

Gary
16/07/2003, 12:56 PM
He was in ther Brog the other night. Doubt he will see the first 11 there for a long time.

liams
16/07/2003, 12:59 PM
Is the door open for him to rejoin City.Im sure Pat would love to have him on board.

James
16/07/2003, 1:21 PM
Originally posted by GWA
He was in ther Brog the other night. Doubt he will see the first 11 there for a long time.

i heard he was in italy the week b4 that !! so what

Colm
16/07/2003, 1:28 PM
Originally posted by GWA
He was in the Brog the other night.

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten all about that. I asked him was he coming back, he said something like "we'll see how things work out".

liamon
16/07/2003, 1:32 PM
There has been a bit of a clear out recently.
Napier, Cronin and Andrews have moved on.
We don't have much cover.

Daly shouldn't get a game as his best days are well gone.
Kevin Murray has made the fringe of the team, but in midfield. Anyway, the kid hasn't really been tested at senior level.

So there might be a space there for Derek.

Trax
16/07/2003, 5:17 PM
Bohs lost 1-0 by the way,not bad I spose,when's the 2nd leg?

yiddo
16/07/2003, 5:44 PM
Derek would be a great signing. Either on the bench or throw him in a centre half next to Murray and free up Benno for midfield. Also based on past experience I'd say he'd get a few badly needed goals from set pieces.

BTW Bohs second leg home game is on next Wednesday night 23rd July.

Gary
16/07/2003, 6:02 PM
Originally posted by yiddo

1. Derek would be a great signing........................................... .... 2. Either on the bench or throw him in a centre half next to Murray and free up Benno for midfield.

1. No he wouldnt

2. I am sick to my teeth of people saying that Bennet should go centre Mid. He is a bloody centre half, and a damn good one at that. Better than Murray, better than Napier, better than Coughlan, better than Hawkins. He is growing into the position game by game, minute by minute and is by far Citys most under rated player this season. You saw what happened him last season when Gunther had him play almost evry position on the pitch. he confidence got shook and ended the season on the bench.

In conclusion

Benno = Centre half.

Coughlan = bad signing.

Troy.McClure
16/07/2003, 6:09 PM
Originally posted by GWA
Better than Murray, better than Napier, better than Coughlan, better than Hawkins.

Coughlan = bad signing.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Cant say Id agree with any of that. Big Der would be a good addition to any side and Im very surprised to hear that he's not getting his game in Dublin. Bring Judas home!

ian
16/07/2003, 6:11 PM
A GWA that is a bit ott about Derek you were not saying that 3 seasons ago when he was our best player in his place on the pitch. Just give the lad some room and let him come back if he whants to and if Cork City want's him. :ball:

Éanna
16/07/2003, 6:24 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
Cant say Id agree with any of that. Big Der would be a good addition to any side and Im very surprised to hear that he's not getting his game in Dublin. Bring Judas home!
1. I don't think he's good enough to get in the team, and we'd be better spending the money letting someone like Murray or Lordan go pro than waste it on Derek sitting on the bench.
2. I don't like the guys attitude- why did Bohs leave him go. If it was because he was mouthing off the same way he does anytime city fans I know have met him in the last few months it's no wonder and no club in their right mind would touch him.

Colm
16/07/2003, 6:36 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
I don't like the guys attitude- why did Bohs leave him go. If it was because he was mouthing off the same way he does anytime city fans I know have met him in the last few months it's no wonder and no club in their right mind would touch him. Yeah, he has a horrible attitude alright and I suspect that is why he has left Bohs. If he did come back, Dolan wouldn't put up with his crap and he would not last long.

As it stands, we don't need him and he wouldn't get his game. Benno and Murray are both far far better players than Derek ever will be. He would be good cover, but I can't see him being happy with a place on the bench.

SÓC
16/07/2003, 7:09 PM

2. I don't like the guys attitude- why did Bohs leave him go. If it was because he was mouthing off the same way he does anytime city fans I know have met him in the last few months it's no wonder and no club in their right mind would touch him.

I agree with that, remember the time he couldnt play for us for a few months because he wouldnt wait a few days for international clearence and went for a trial in England.

He's just a poor man's Dan Murray.

tiktok
16/07/2003, 7:23 PM
little bit confused, has he definitely left Bohs?????

i do rate him as a player but i don't know if it's worth bringing him for a place on the bench, resources would be better spent looking for a decent midfielder.

yiddo
16/07/2003, 10:47 PM
Coughlan always had a bit of a gob on him off the pitch but his attitude on the pitch was always spot on. Ok so he's no Dan Murray and Benno is a better all round player than him. He's just a basic stopper who can score goals at the other end and sometimes we need that type of player. Also he'd score more goals than Dan and Benno together. Can't see Dolan having any problem getting on with him or handling him.
If and when we reach such a high standard that we can ignore the availability of a player of Coughlans potential I'll be a happy man. But that day is not here yet.

Colm
16/07/2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by corkcityfan1
i think Beno is still very suspect at the back

I can't understand how you can say that! Benno has been fantastic at centre back this season and when he played there last season he was excellent aswell.
I think it would be a very bad move to break up the Murray-Bennett defensive partnership.

SÓC
16/07/2003, 11:40 PM
I mean if Beno was a great centre half,he'd be playing that position long before the middle of last season!

Not certain about this but I think he played school boy football at centre back

Dunner
17/07/2003, 8:02 AM
Ya benno played centre half for Irish schoolboys. He is def a better centre half than midfield. Sure he got player of the month last season the month he played centre half and he got it again this season!! I say fair play to the guy-cos he has done so well fitting into the centre half role this season

liamon
17/07/2003, 8:11 AM
Originally posted by Colm
he has a horrible attitude alright and I suspect that is why he has left Bohs. If he did come back, Dolan wouldn't put up with his crap and he would not last long.

Dolan doesn't have a problem with George mouthing off at every opportunity, so I don't see a problem.

He was class for City and I'd like to see him back.
Anyway, if Dan or Benno get injured, what's our alternative. We have no cover at present. Sign him up.

@ndy
17/07/2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
He's just a poor man's Dan Murray.

lol

Gary
17/07/2003, 12:49 PM
.i think Beno is still very suspect at the back and signing Derek woul strengthen the defense and free up beno for midfield.

What utter rubbish. In the 3-4 months altogether Benno has played centre half for City, he has got player of the month TWICE. Yet some people think he is suspect??????????????

If u want suspect, watch Georges 1st goal against Bohs in April. What did Derek do? he ran the opoosite direction of the ball. He did the exact samre thing a few days later against whoever bohs were playing then.

He might be a good 1st division centre half, but is no where near good enough to play for City.

Oh and BTW, i was never a fan of his, i never cheered him, apart from his goals. Always thought he was average at best.

Troy.McClure
17/07/2003, 1:35 PM
I dont think that Benno is bad at centre but I dont think that he's the best either and as has been said, if one of the guys gets injured or suspended (which will happen) who's going to go in there? Daly? The point about moving him into midfield if need be is fair enouth as well - as it stands we have one central midfielder out for the season, a winger who is injury prone in his place and another injury prone player who has only had about 3 good games this season next to him, with no experienced cover for them, not even for subs.

I personally dont give a crap about Derek's attitude when ye bump into him in the Brog, coz his attitude on the pitch is always spot on. If he doesnt say hi to me when Im having a pint, well good for him but I'll get over it. We need top football players, not nice guys.

francie
17/07/2003, 1:43 PM
He was good with us for a while and we can never forget that goal in dalymount however i think it was downhill for him after that. I think he is good in the air and as a stopper but my god when he is turned and you see that fat arse and complete lack of pace forget it. Hes not getting any younger and five seasons ago him and deccie were frightening when faced with pace. Luton had a good luck at him and saw the same as has kenny now. When we beat bohs I had to snigger and think thanks stevo for playing him with his predictable flaws. With the firmer pitches its even more evident maybe we need another centre half but to my mind it aint derek, dave hill might take him and his massive ego where he can muscle the 1st division and regale his teammates with stories of the good old days.

Éanna
17/07/2003, 2:21 PM
Originally posted by Troy.McClure
I personally dont give a crap about Derek's attitude when ye bump into him in the Brog, coz his attitude on the pitch is always spot on. If he doesnt say hi to me when Im having a pint, well good for him but I'll get over it. We need top football players, not nice guys.
Troy it isn't anything about him being a nice guy, its just that in my experience anyone who mentions CCFC to Derek has had to listen to his tirade against players, fans and management saying how noboody loves him etc and how he'd never come back.

ian
17/07/2003, 3:20 PM
Derek come back please we need you

Troy.McClure
17/07/2003, 4:29 PM
anyone who mentions CCFC to Derek has had to listen to his tirade .... how he'd never come back.

Well he's not saying much now!!

We need another good centre back and he fits the bill and will score a few goals along the way

cfcgirl
17/07/2003, 9:32 PM
i think Derek should defiantly come back

niamh
18/07/2003, 10:32 AM
I think we all realise at the minute how short we are in midfield especially now that Greg is out for so long. Signing Derek would give Pat another option but as we all know he has had issues with certain people within the club in the past.
I guess we will just have to wait and see cause at the end of the day we have very little pull when it comes to influencing managment when it comes to signing players.

Casegrande
18/07/2003, 11:24 AM
Some feen on the Pats MB [http://www.independentsaints.tk] saying that "Pat Dolan was at Dalymount last weekend and sat in the stand with Coughlan for the whole game. "

Éanna
18/07/2003, 12:26 PM
Some rovers fans on the eL message board sayin he's been talkin to liam buckley