PDA

View Full Version : Weekly EL preview on Newstalk 103

paudie
03/04/2008, 7:40 PM
Meant to post this earlier but just to let people know that Newstalk have their weekly EL preview starting about 8.45 tonight.

Roddy (who else) and some reporter from the star give their predictions and talk about the league in general. Not bad if a bit short.

They read out texts (at 30c a pop -robbery) (53106) and emails (offthe ball@newstalk.ie) so might be no harm for people to send in thier comments to let them know people are listening

Sorry frequency is 106-108fm

DmanDmythDledge
03/04/2008, 8:00 PM
some reporter from the star
That's Daniel McDonnell, from the Indo. One of the best sports journalists in the country at the moment.

gufcfan
03/04/2008, 8:33 PM
I wonder do they archive it?

I've just missed it.

DmanDmythDledge
03/04/2008, 8:36 PM
I wonder do they archive it?

I've just missed it.
Don't think so, I can't find anything on their website.

I've sent them an email asking would they make it available as a podcast. Doubt it will make a difference but worth a shot. Maybe if everyone sends one in they will see an interest and make one available.

NeilMcD
03/04/2008, 8:43 PM
Well if its of any interest I e mailed them about the Giles podcast and they did that a few weeks after that. Now I am sure there was more than me just doing it. But I have e mailed them about this too. I rarely listen to radio live but love getting podcasts. Daniel Mc Donnell is a great journalist by the way.

TonyD
03/04/2008, 9:12 PM
This used to be an hour if I remember rightly, then it became a half hour, now fifteen lousy minutes ? Fluck Newstalk, they can stick it.

swano
04/04/2008, 5:36 AM
The more feedback they get the longer the segment will be. It used to be longer and have more than just predictions but it wasn't getting much reaction. Now that the station is national there should be enough interest in our league.

paudie
04/04/2008, 7:55 AM
Last season they had a piece in the Saturday afternoon sports programme reviewing the previous weeks results. it was really dragged out with 15 minutes of actual chat spread out over an hour but it was something.

Not sure if they are doing it again this season.

paudie
04/04/2008, 7:57 AM
This used to be an hour if I remember rightly, then it became a half hour, now fifteen lousy minutes ? Fluck Newstalk, they can stick it.

The more feedback in terms of texts and emails they get the more likely they are to extend the slot.

If you email them a few times and they ignore them then fair enough but give it a try anyway.

Couldn't you tell them how Pats are going to go through the season unbeaten or something;)

BohDiddley
04/04/2008, 8:48 AM
They do seem to have shrunk the eL. I still have it in my mind that it's an hour and tune in on that basis, only to find that it's 15 minutes, and even at that they can't help bringing in GAA/rugby or EPL or even cricket, i.e. whatever's really on their mind.

The true test lies in the individual interests of the staff broadcasters. They most definitely have GAA/EPL/Euro guys, but no one is identifiably interested in Irish football, and when they do cover the game it veers been sneering and patronising. Who needs more Roddy Collins anyway?

GuisaSaigon
04/04/2008, 9:05 AM
Roddy was doing his best to Charm the Galway United board and fans last night. Daniel mcDonnell was saying how it would be hard to get top players to move from Dublin. Roddy wasnt buying it, the gist of what he said was players would rather move to a nice place like Galway than to a dump like Sligo!

Dodge
04/04/2008, 9:15 AM

in fairness when they were stopped from doing the live friday night broadcasts they obviously took less interest in the league.

doesn't help that the main football guy is a tool, and hates the league

paudie
04/04/2008, 10:32 AM
You can tell the the main presenter Eoin McDevitt doesn't have a lot of interest in the league. Neither does the main football guy (name escapes me).

Have heard a couple of jokey remarks along the lines of "the last thing we need is more EL on TV".

Even more reason then IMO for EL followers to get in touch with the programme to let them know there is a market.

Rovers1
04/04/2008, 10:48 AM
Roddy was doing his best to Charm the Galway United board and fans last night. Daniel mcDonnell was saying how it would be hard to get top players to move from Dublin. Roddy wasnt buying it, the gist of what he said was players would rather move to a nice place like Galway than to a dump like Sligo!

typical krusty wit. :rolleyes:
im sure thats EXACTLY what he was trying to say ;)

Rovers1
04/04/2008, 10:49 AM
You can tell the the main presenter Eoin McDevitt doesn't have a lot of interest in the league. Neither does the main football guy (name escapes me).

Have heard a couple of jokey remarks along the lines of "the last thing we need is more EL on TV".

Even more reason then IMO for EL followers to get in touch with the programme to let them know there is a market.

the co-presenter is a ********...he actually leaves the studio when EL talk comes on.

CvilleRovers
04/04/2008, 10:54 AM
think its ken early thats the main lad for the football hour, really wish they could extend the time to half an hour at least or even bring back the chat with the EL fans they used to have.it just seemed to disappear the chat with the fans

Jerry The Saint
04/04/2008, 10:57 AM
The eircom League Hour that lasts 15 minutes.

12 of which are taken up by Roddy's thoughts on

Boxing
Fashion
The Job Market

They then rush through predictions with Dan McD

- Win for Bohs

- Oh, I was going to say that. OK, a draw so.

And Eoin McDevitt makes sure to keep us up to date on the prediction league table (which is apparently more important than the actual league table).

It's a shame because it's generally an enjoyable show otherwise - bit strange that they would happily spend twice as long talking about the Paraguayan 3rd Division than their own league but it's obvious that they've no enthusiasm for it.

The main soccer guy really covered himself in glory when he interviewed Roy O'Donovan just after his move to Sunderland was announced. He had absolutely no term of reference and couldn't think of any questions beyond the likes of

- Will you miss your house when you leave Cork? Do you have a dog? Will you miss your dog? :eek:

The great thing about TV coverage in recent years is that the people involved clearly love the league and aren't just junior guys who are forced to cover something they hate till they get a proper job. This is where a lot of the negative, patronising coverage comes from - hack journalists who care nothing for the league see an easy "LEAGUE IN CRISIS" article as a handy way to meet a deadline. Much better than trying to develop an interest in a bunch of people they've never heard of.

One of the most impressive things about MNS is the enthusiasm of Con Murphy and Tony O'Donoghue (among others) who are clearly genuine fans and are actually interested in the league - like when Tony O'D didn't (or couldn't :D) disguise how sick he was after the Cork/Cobh game. Miles better than Bill O'Herlihy coming on once a year saying "Being honest, that final wasn't really much of an advertisement for the league, was it now lads...?"

DmanDmythDledge
09/04/2008, 7:51 PM
Anyone know if it's already been done tonight?

Schumi
09/04/2008, 8:05 PM
It's usually Thursdays.

DmanDmythDledge
09/04/2008, 8:14 PM
It's usually Thursdays.
Thought today was Thursday. :o:D

feo123
09/04/2008, 9:32 PM
anyone know anywhere it says who the referees for this friday are?