PDA

View Full Version : Friday's games

thischarmingman
03/04/2008, 4:42 PM
As has been discussed somewhat in the Relegation thread, some big games this weekend, our very own 'Grand Slam' Friday at the top of the table included:

Bray v Finn Harps
Cork v UCD
Drogheda v Galway
St. Pats v Derry
Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians
Sligo v Cobh

Drogheda look like they'll get an easy victory against a managerless Galway but sometimes you can be surprised by the fight in a side who've just lost their manager. Little bit of pressure on Doolin to pick up points on a night when the 4 other teams that might be there or thereabouts are playing one another.

Speaking of pressure, I fancy Matthews to get his first league victory on Friday. UCD have had a decent start to the seaon but surely someone soon is going to get it from Cork and I think it'll happen on Friday. If Cork draw, it's quite possible they'll be 8-10 points of the pace already.

In the mini-league at the foot of the table (whilst ackowledging Finn Harps' current position :p), Bray have a tricky home game against a Ballybofey side looking to make amends for last weekends disaster. Bray to break their scoring duck, but Harps to get a vital win in my opinion. If they did, they could consider themselves as having made a terrific start to the season and a great foundation to build on. Bray away to Bohs next week so expect doom and gloom at the Carlisle Grounds if they get nothing from this game.

Pats and Derry had to call. I have an interest in this so may just be optimism but while a draw would be a good result, I could see us sneaking it if we play to our best. A defeat wouldn't be a disaster for either side although might have a psychological effect on Pats.

Shams and Bohs is anyone's game, with Bohs to leapfrog their rivals if they win. Bohs have managed to grind out results at Sligo and Galway but against potential title rivals is a different matter. Rovers on a great sequence of results, and have only conceded in Cork. Shams to win.

Cobh and Sligo have both had poor starts to the seaon, although Sligo have had the harder games. After playing Drog, Pats and Bohs, and a tough UCD side at home, they'll be expecting, and should get all 3 points tomorrow.

I'm going to go Harps win, Cork win, Drog draw, Pats score draw, Rovers win, Sligo win.

Sam_Heggy
03/04/2008, 5:09 PM
In the Bohs game it could be worth a few quid on J Byrne to score first, he is one of those players who goes on scoring runs and after getting one last week I expect him to bag another at 13/2.

BohDiddley
03/04/2008, 5:13 PM
I dunno... could be dangerous.

I think if I won money on it when he scored his first from play against Shamrock Rovers I would not be able to cope. :D

gilberto_eire
03/04/2008, 5:35 PM
I think the Drogs will take us, not on the basis of been managerless or our season so far, but the fact we're missing most of our defense and our two main strikers(Faherty and Leech don't llok like scoring at all this year)

From GalwayUnitedFC.ie

''Captain John Fitzgerald returns from suspension for the Tribesmen, however, he is struggling with his hamstring and will undergo a late fitness test. So too will Alan Keane who played 30 minutes last week against Shamrock Rovers and is doubtful to feature. Jay O'Shea, Wesley Charles & Stephen O'Flynn are all extremely doubtful with Daryl Robson and Derek Glynn ruled out completely for tomorrow nights game. John Lester remains on the sidelines to complete his second match suspension carried over from last season.''

Apart from maybe Daryl and Wes there rest are all first team players and would be starting!!

deecay
03/04/2008, 5:41 PM
I taught we had problems with 2 big defenders out,thats rough on GUFC

DmanDmythDledge
03/04/2008, 8:05 PM
I think Bray could sneak a win, will be interesting to see how Harps do on their travels. Drogs, Pats, Rovers and Sligo all should win being at home. If Cork keep the same team they have at the moment they will find it very difficult to score against us. Matthews surely has no choice but to change things round however.

Boo_Boy
03/04/2008, 8:19 PM
Setanta Sports Predictions:

---

Bray Wanderers -v- Finn Harps

Prediction: 2-0

---

Cork City -v- UCD

Prediction: 3-1

---

Drogheda United -v- Galway United

Prediction: 4-0

---

St Patrick's Athletic -v- Derry City

Prediction: 2-1

---

Shamrock Rovers -v- Bohemians

Prediction: 2-2

---

Sligo Rovers -v- Cobh Ramblers

---

19 goals in 6 games:eek:

:confused:

Claret Murph
04/04/2008, 6:11 AM
Bray Wanderers -v- Finn Harps

Prediction: 0-0

---

Cork City -v- UCD

Prediction: 3-0

---

Drogheda United -v- Galway United

---

St Patrick's Athletic -v- Derry City

Prediction: 1-0

---

Shamrock Rovers -v- Bohemians

---

Sligo Rovers -v- Cobh Ramblers

ERRRR i am going for 6 goals from 6 games , but I could be wrong :)

Réiteoir
04/04/2008, 7:57 AM
The first El Clásico of the season - can't wait.

Got that sick feeling in the stomach - which is the nerves starting at the thought of what could happen against those lot at Tolka tonight.

Hope Pat has the lads well and truly fired up for it - but saying that - he shouldn't need to - it's THE game that every person connected with Bohs and Rovers wants to win - but doesn't want to lose

Pablo Escobar
04/04/2008, 8:03 AM
ERRRR i am going for 6 goals from 6 games , but I could be wrong :)

With us scoring 3!?

It's safe to say that you are wrong :D

4 in a row
04/04/2008, 11:06 AM

Got that sick feeling in the stomach - which is the nerves starting at the thought of what could happen against those lot at Tolka tonight.

Hope Pat has the lads well and truly fired up for it - but saying that - he shouldn't need to - it's THE game that every person connected with Bohs and Rovers wants to win - but doesn't want to lose

i know how ye feel, i cant wait im mad excited and nervous

2 nil to the hoops

soccerc
04/04/2008, 11:08 AM

Highlights of both Dublin games on TV3 tonight

razor
04/04/2008, 12:07 PM
im mad excited and nervousI feel exactly the same about UCDs visit to the Cross tonight.

micls
04/04/2008, 12:13 PM
I feel exactly the same about UCDs visit to the Cross tonight.

We Il use all three emotions anyway.

Il be excited about 7.30
Between 7.50 and 9..30 Il be nervous
And after that i'l be mad

oldyouth
04/04/2008, 12:53 PM
Youths V Shels

I'm saying nothing until 10pm:o

Erstwhile Bóz
04/04/2008, 12:55 PM
I have a feeling that Bohs are going to hammer Rovers tonight.

(Which means that Rovers will hammer Bohs.)

Dodge
04/04/2008, 1:03 PM
We Il use all three emotions anyway.

Il be excited about 7.30
Between 7.50 and 9..30 Il be nervous
And after that i'l be mad

I'm normally like that. Even if we're 2 up I'm still nervous. Its worse for games against the other dublin clubs. Took the 5th goal in our last game with Shamrock for me to relax.

And after games I'm either fuming with johnny Mac and/or the Ref or I'm bouncing up and down thinking football is great again

Sniffer
04/04/2008, 1:44 PM
Highlights of both Dublin games on TV3 tonight

What time?

dfx-
04/04/2008, 1:51 PM
I can see another game overcome with tension in Tolka like last season. I haven't felt anything like that before for essentially a 0-0 bore draw.

superfrank
04/04/2008, 1:58 PM
I think Bray could sneak a win, will be interesting to see how Harps do on their travels.
Harps have lost both their away games this season but against much better sides. I honestly don't know how this one will go. Both sides took a hammering last week. It's down to who's a better motivator: Eddie or Hegarty?