PDA

View Full Version : Sligo Rovers Game

Estar
15/07/2003, 11:23 PM
Rovers boss Don O'Riordan has confirmd that he has been speaking to Michael McNamara with a view to signing the well-respected centre half until the end of the season.

It is expected that he will join the squad in time for the vital home game against Kildare on the 19th of July.

Meanwhile, Ollie Keogh, previously of Galway United has joined the Bit O'Red. Ollie, who trained with Rovers last night is a small skilfull player who can play wide on the right or up front.

McNamara - is a Sligo GAA player
Keogh - is a niggley player (Caused all hell to break loose against Dublin City).

We need a win if we are to keep up with the pace setters

Countyman
16/07/2003, 9:23 AM
I dont see why we cant get that win. We always play better away from home.

3 of us County fans will be there as part of a stag weekend and aim to bring the other 20 or so with us to the game. Hopefully the dutch courage will help us make some noise.

Hope the pitch has improved. Last year it was in bits but they have a great stand there.

We have played Sligo 3 times and won twice and drawn once.
Hopefully we can keep that record going.

Philly Hughes to score and then get taken off straight away :p

Estar
16/07/2003, 7:16 PM
Great to see there will be a few supporters there. I can't make it :( Is there a supporters bus going, I'm sure some people will travel by car. Are you bringing the flags:)

How about another 1-0 to the County:D

Philly needs to be told where the goals are:p

I think Scully will get the winner:cool:

Countyman
17/07/2003, 9:35 AM
Bus was cancelled this morning . Only 5 names!!!! €15 return is an unbelievable price yet people couldn't be bothered.

Dunno about the flags seeing as we are on a stag it could be awkward lumping them around. We might take the big TIFO one and the Thoroughbreds one if someone takes them home for us.

I reckon a decent crowd is going in cars. I would expect anything between 30-50 County fans there.

Estar
17/07/2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Countyman
Bus was cancelled this morning . Only 5 names!!!! €15 return is an unbelievable price yet people couldn't be bothered.

I think the only way to get the bus trips off the ground, is to run a bus for free/half price to a match and show supporters how good away matches are. It could be sponsered by local business/supporters club/club?

I know alot of people prefer to travel by car.

Countyman
17/07/2003, 2:06 PM
Something like that was decided at our meeting last night.

It will happen for the Bray Wanderers game. We will announce it in due course probably at the Dublin City home game in August.

TheRealRovers
17/07/2003, 9:30 PM
Don O'Riordan is under pressure from our supporters right now. For a club of our size we are to long in the first division we need a win badly but I can't see us winning the way we are playing right now. Maybe a draw

McNamara - is a Sligo GAA player

This is McNamara's second spell with the club. If you are bringing flags hang them in the railway end

Estar
17/07/2003, 9:46 PM
Originally posted by TheRealRovers
Don O'Riordan is under pressure from our supporters right now.

Don O'Riordan is one of the better managers around, Sligo play a nice style of football and seem to have a young team.

It's harder get out of Div 1 than getting into it. Look how bad The Mons and Dundalk are doing and even Galway after such a good previous season with more or less the same squad.

Estar
17/07/2003, 10:07 PM
"I won't change our style" says defiant O'Riordan

"IT is against my principles to change my philosophy and I don't think the Sligo soccer public would thank me for playing kick and rush football. I won't change and I certainly have not given up hope of catching the teams above us"..........that was the defiant rallying call of Sligo Rovers manager, Don O'Riordan as he surveyed his team's drop further down the First Division table this week.

With only two points from the last twelve, the Rovers boss says he does not feel under any undue pressure and is determined to strengthen his squad further.

O'Riordan has already completed the signing of county G.A.A. player and former defender, Michael McNamara, former Galway United mid-fielder, Ollie Keogh and has also added former Nottingham Forest goalkeeper, Emmet Peyton to the panel.

Peyton joined Forest from Rovers a number of seasons back, but has now returned from the City Ground.

"The only pressure I feel is the pressure I put on myself and the fact that my team didn't win our last game. Basically, we are losing to teams because of 'power' and that is something we will have to address," O'Riordan acknowledged.

"We talked about this last year and against Dublin City in our last outing it looked a bit like boys against men at times.

"However, having said that, I thought we deserved at least a draw from the game. If you look at the teams at the top of the league like Dublin City, Kildare County and Bray, they try to get results from set pieces.

"I won't sacrifice our style for that, but I do believe we need to get a full squad together to match these teams and to add to it, if we can," O'Riordan said.

Rules

The Rovers boss is exploring the possibility of adding at least two players from England and Scotland, though his efforts to sign some players on loan from Premier Division teams in the League of Ireland have failed, because of the existing 'loan' rules.

"There can't be any more than three players out on loan from Premier Division clubs and this causes problems. It is ridiculous really, because the managers involved have agreed to let us have the players and they want to come, but they are in effect debarred from doing so," O'Riordan maintained.

Turning his attention to next Saturday night's clash with high-flying Kildare County at the Showgrounds, O'Riordan describes it as "another huge cup final."

"Kildare are always a hard team to beat. They have been going well of late and as was the case before our game against Bray at the Showgrounds, we have some big questions to answer.

"We must be positive and hopefully, we can bring in one or two new faces to give us a life," he said
:D

Countyman
18/07/2003, 9:17 AM
nah I think we'll hang our flags beside the shed :)

hope they let us bring in our TIFO flag too.

Estar
18/07/2003, 8:08 PM
Sligo Rovers manager Don O'Riordan has told his players that they must pick up all three points against third-placed Kildare County in the clash at the Showgrounds after a disappointing run of just one win in eight games (Kick off 7:30).

"We've got to start winning immediately to get up the table. It's going to be difficult and it's another 'tin helmet' job. That's no disrespect to Kildare because it's a style of play that suits them, but we'll have to overcome them by playing our own game rather than getting involved in a physical game."

David O'Dowd is suspended but Gerry Carr returns after missing last week's game with a back injury while Michael McNamara has re-joined the club and is in line to start in defence.

Kildare County will be without Alan Keely (groin), Richie Purdy and Barry O'Connor (both ankle) but Shay Zeller returns in midfield.

Not looking good 3 out.

Here's how I think County will line out.

1.Russell
2.Daisy
3.Cornin
4.Razzor
5.Ben
6.Rogers
7.Scully
8.Kelly
9.Hughes
10.Zellor
11.McNevin

subs. Gorman, Ryan, Cotsy

If a defender gets injured were in serious trouble
:(

Estar
18/07/2003, 8:23 PM
Rovers face important test against the Thoroughbreds
Fri 18 July
After succumbing to defeat in Dublin last week, Sligo Rovers will go into the Kildare County game knowing that a win is of vital importance if they are to maintain any hope of reaching the play-off places.

Sligo Rovers will have to do without David O'Dowd as he must serve an automatic one match ban as a result of being sent off in controversial circumstances against Dublin City. Ollie Keogh is expected to make his home debut while Michael McNamara is hoping to be in contention for a starting role on Saturday night.

McNamara has rejoined Sligo Rovers following his spell in Gaelic Football and he will no doubt add much needed steel to a defence that has been leaking soft goals in recent times.

Gerry Carr is hoping to have fully recovered from injury in time to be included in the squad. Mark Cobey keeps his place in goal as Ciaran Kelly remains on the injury list after breaking his wrist on holiday. Kelly is expected to return in 4 weeks time and has recently had the cast removed from his wrist. Gareth Gorman has undergone surgery and is expected to be available in 3-4 weeks.

Sligo Rovers manager Don O'Riordan is expecting a tough game: "Kildare County are a strong physical team who like to play direct football from defence to attack. They concentrate on capitalising from set-pieces so we'll have to concentrate to make sure we give nothing away. But we'll do our best to try and impose our own game on them and produce a performance similar to that of the Bray Wanderers game, in which we did well in all areas of the pitch. It's going to be a battle, make no mistake about it, but a battle we will go out to win from the off"

Kildare County themselves will be confident of a result from Saturday nights game as they have yet to suffer defeat to Sligo Rovers.Kildare County have taken seven points from their previous three games but an unconvincing performance at Kilkenny City will give Rovers hope that they can inflict a first ever defeat on the thoroughbreds

TheRealRovers
18/07/2003, 8:35 PM
I don't think you will have any problem with getting your TIFO flag into the ground

Don O'Riordan is one of the better managers around, Sligo play a nice style of football and seem to have a young team.

I think so too he is just after signing a new 3 year contract with us. I think we should give him more time. Look at what some of our fans think of him right now.

Sligo Rovers Forum (www.sligoweb.com/modules.php?name=4nForum&file=forumdisplay&fid=2)

Did Hutchinson leave Kildare?

Estar
18/07/2003, 9:29 PM
Originally posted by TheRealRovers

I think so too he is just after signing a new 3 year contract with us. I think we should give him more time. Look at what some of our fans think of him right now.

Did Hutchinson leave Kildare?

Its easy blame Don, Sligo have no devine right to be in the Prem division like some of their Fans think. They still have a chance of the play offs, its not the end of the world.

I'd say hutch will join Sligo, Harps or the Mons

TheRealRovers
21/07/2003, 8:57 PM
What happend the TIFO flag?

Best of luck to county till we meet again.

Countyman
22/07/2003, 10:31 AM
Basically a gang of us were already in town for the weekend and another guy coming from kildare was meant to hang up the flags and bring in the TIFO one.
I arrived and he was in the stand with all the flags on the seat beside him and the flagpole out in the car.
I was a bit peeved off to say the least. He didnt bother his arse.

Anyway great second half. some rain. C U in station road for the 3 rd installment. Still cant beat us
;)

TheRealRovers
23/07/2003, 8:20 PM
Still cant beat us

Tiocfáidh ar lá