PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup games being switched

Dodge
02/04/2008, 3:19 PM
Apparently with just over a weeks notice, the Setanta Cup game between St pats and Linfield due for Tuesday 15 April in Richmond Park is now going to be played in Linfield, on advice of the PSNI

I'd imagine that this will mean that Glentoran v derry may be switched to avoid 2 games in Belfast

Danny
02/04/2008, 3:28 PM
its a joke if this is true
total scaremongering
really starting to think the SSC isnt worth the hassle, with this and the crap way the tournament is scheduled this year....
If the psni/gardai cant look after this game there's no hope for an AIL

DRDoc
02/04/2008, 4:38 PM
Pats should think about refusing to play it unless its at Richmond

Thats a joke if its true

holidaysong
02/04/2008, 4:43 PM
St. Pat's should definitely refuse. There is no way Linfield should get an extra home game. If it must be moved then play it in a neutral ground like Newry or Longford.

DRDoc
02/04/2008, 4:46 PM
http://www.linfieldfc.com/latestnews.asp?nid=2843

interesting "at present"

Sam_Heggy
02/04/2008, 4:51 PM
If its on the psni advice then consider limiting the number of tickets available to away fans and they can only buy them through the club.

paudie
02/04/2008, 5:18 PM
St. Pat's should definitely refuse. There is no way Linfield should get an extra home game. If it must be moved then play it in a neutral ground like Newry or Longford.

I presume that if this game is switched, (which would be a joke IMO) Pats would play at home for the game later on in the year.

holidaysong
02/04/2008, 5:20 PM
I presume that if this game is switched, (which would be a joke IMO) Pats would play at home for the game later on in the year.

Surely whatever reasons the PSNI have for changing the game won't be too different later on in the year. Seems to just be speculation at this time anyway..

fanatic
02/04/2008, 5:52 PM
what a joke !

maybe this is the build up to them trying to re-arrange the Derry fixture !

Not Brazil
02/04/2008, 6:00 PM
If its on the psni advice then consider limiting the number of tickets available to away fans and they can only buy them through the club.

This was always going to be the case.

Ticketing arrangements for Linfield FC, as announced on 27th March, by the Club.

St. Patrick's Athletic v Linfield

Setanta Sports Cup - Live on Setanta Sports TV

April 15 - Kick Off - 8.05pm

Adults - £10 and Concession - £5

PRIORITY 1 - Tickets will go on sale to Linfield MEMBERS ONLY from 9am on Monday March 31 until 5pm on Friday April 4. Members ticket must be produced at Windsor Park Superstore when purchasing ticket. Members are urgently advised to take advantage of this priority as tickets are limited to 900 for this game.

PRIORITY 2 - Tickets will then go on sale to Members AND SEASON TICKET HOLDERS from Saturday April 5 until 5pm on Friday April 11. Season ticket holders strongly advised not to miss out on this priority timescale. Season ticket must be produced when buying ticket.

PRIORITY 3 - From Saturday April 12 any remaining tickets will be made available to members, season ticket holders AND CLUB CARD HOLDERS ONLY. THERE WILL BE NO GENERAL SALE FOR THIS GAME. Club Card must be produced when purchasing ticket.

The Ticketing Committee would like to apologise for the tight schedule for ticket sales for this game but this has been caused by the late arrival of tickets.

kingdomkerry
02/04/2008, 10:14 PM
When is the game on?

Risteard
02/04/2008, 10:40 PM
Why would the cops want the date changed?

DmanDmythDledge
02/04/2008, 10:48 PM
Why would the cops want the date changed?
Not the date, they wanted it to be on in Windsor Park. There was trouble between Linfield and Cliftonville fans at the weekend, two people ended up in hospital. Apparantly it would be safer if the game was played in Windsor.:confused:

dcfcsteve
02/04/2008, 11:13 PM
Not the date, they wanted it to be on in Windsor Park. There was trouble between Linfield and Cliftonville fans at the weekend, two people ended up in hospital. Apparantly it would be safer if the game was played in Windsor.:confused:

There was not trouble at the game. There was an incident in town afterwards that has been blamed on Linfield fans.

I strongly suspect this story ios bullsh!t - for one very simple reason. How in the name of God would the PSNI - or any police force for that matter - have the power to call the shots about a sporting event outside of their own jurisdiction ?

Seriously people - think about this. Are you honestly tellign me that the PSNI decided that Dublin wasn't safe for this game, and that everyone else - Gradai, FAI, IFA - just nodded along in agreement with it being changed. I mean really - think about it.

The only danger I can think of such a game beign held in Richmond is the extremely limited physical access to the stadium,. But if there was a real problem, it would just get moved elsewhere in Dublin (e.g. Tolka). And I can guarantee you it wouldn't be the PSNI's decision to dictate Policing and security matters in Dublin...

garyderry
03/04/2008, 10:26 AM
what a joke !

maybe this is the build up to them trying to re-arrange the Derry fixture !

wont affect the Derry game at all, the Glens and Derry have had a great relation all the way through the IL games, and same in the recent setanta games,
cant see the derry game changing

Also cant see how the PSNI can advise on a game played in Dublin
Feck all off there business (thankfully :cool:)

Derry
03/04/2008, 10:36 AM
From the Linfield site.

Contrary to press reports today, the Setanta Sports Cup game away to St. Pat's Athletic on April 15 will at present proceed, as planned, in Dublin on that date.

Flume
03/04/2008, 11:11 AM
From the Linfield site.

Where did the rumour come from?

Maybe fear of a backlash meant sticking to the original arrangement.Although i find it hard to believe that the game was ever meant to be moved, especially with the other game on in belfast.

Steve Bruce
03/04/2008, 12:20 PM
There was not trouble at the game. There was an incident in town afterwards that has been blamed on Linfield fans.

I strongly suspect this story ios bullsh!t - for one very simple reason. How in the name of God would the PSNI - or any police force for that matter - have the power to call the shots about a sporting event outside of their own jurisdiction ?

Seriously people - think about this. Are you honestly tellign me that the PSNI decided that Dublin wasn't safe for this game, and that everyone else - Gradai, FAI, IFA - just nodded along in agreement with it being changed. I mean really - think about it.

The only danger I can think of such a game beign held in Richmond is the extremely limited physical access to the stadium,. But if there was a real problem, it would just get moved elsewhere in Dublin (e.g. Tolka). And I can guarantee you it wouldn't be the PSNI's decision to dictate Policing and security matters in Dublin...

Initially blamed on Linfield fans. Police has said since that it had nothing to do with the Linfield vs Cliftonville game.

LeixlipRed
03/04/2008, 12:31 PM
Ridiculous decision tbh. The two times Linfield played in Tolka there was barely any trouble. A few small incidents but nothing else. Stupid

dcfcsteve
03/04/2008, 12:34 PM
Ridiculous decision tbh. The two times Linfield played in Tolka there was barely any trouble. A few small incidents but nothing else. Stupid

Read past the first post on the thread...... :rolleyes:

It must be salmon season on Foot.ie, with the number of bites this story is getting...

paudie
03/04/2008, 12:58 PM

Don't tell me you haven't heard that a 32 county republic has been declared and the PSNI is now the police force for the whole island;)

Stato
03/04/2008, 1:23 PM
The Gardai in the Inchicore area consult with their colleagues in the PSNI about all the Setanta Sports Cup games so that they can gauge what sort of operation they need to carry out. It would be a Garda decision to move it out of Dublin and a PSNI decision to take it to Belfast.

Don't forget there is a precedent, remember Shels being forced to play their home UEFA Cup match against Rangers in Tranmere?

CvilleRovers
03/04/2008, 2:38 PM
The Gardai in the Inchicore area consult with their colleagues in the PSNI about all the Setanta Sports Cup games so that they can gauge what sort of operation they need to carry out. It would be a Garda decision to move it out of Dublin and a PSNI decision to take it to Belfast.

Don't forget there is a precedent, remember Shels being forced to play their home UEFA Cup match against Rangers in Tranmere?

but pats will still have to play linfield at home in september or whenever they were meant to play up in windsor?
just doesnt make any sense, a new thing for the ruc ;)
bottom line is it should go ahead as planned tuesday week or else the setanta will be a disgrace

Mark
03/04/2008, 2:41 PM
a big fear is that idiots wearing Shamrock Rovers jerseys will turn up outside the ground. Several were spotted at the Glentoran match in Inchicore.

fanatic
03/04/2008, 2:44 PM
wont affect the Derry game at all, the Glens and Derry have had a great relation all the way through the IL games, and same in the recent setanta games,
cant see the derry game changing

Also cant see how the PSNI can advise on a game played in Dublin
Feck all off there business (thankfully :cool:)

i was thinking maybe its build up or ground work to try and move the derry v linfield game !

after all when we played in that stupid league didnt they get games moved way back then !

Dodge
03/04/2008, 2:55 PM
a big fear is that idiots wearing Shamrock Rovers jerseys will turn up outside the ground. Several were spotted at the Glentoran match in Inchicore.

We've enough of our own tools around. No need to be trying to blame anyone else

Jerry The Saint
03/04/2008, 3:54 PM
i was thinking maybe its build up or ground work to try and move the derry v linfield game !

after all when we played in that stupid league didnt they get games moved way back then !

I imagine that the recent Derry/Linfield games have passed off without incident because both sides understand the sensitivities involved. I can see why games in Dublin might be higher risk when some Wolfe Tones Celtic fans have no interest in and even less of a clue about the history of this island or a football match beyond seeing it as a chance to show how much they hate the Britprods :rolleyes:

It's not as if these schooligans are next in line for a Ross Kemp documentary though. Sensible stewarding and police arrangements should be able to handle these games without breaking a sweat.

Mark
04/04/2008, 12:00 PM

thats true but the fact is that fellas were outside in rovers colours shouting abuse. I saw them. a small number but even so.
can you imagine if they turned up at a linfield game?

4 in a row
07/04/2008, 2:21 PM

fair play dodge

4 in a row
07/04/2008, 2:22 PM

thats true but the fact is that fellas were outside in rovers colours shouting abuse. I saw them. a small number but even so.
can you imagine if they turned up at a linfield game?

normally people who go to cause trouble dont wear there teams colours...

placid casual
07/04/2008, 2:58 PM
just a hunch here :
i think Mark needs to go to Specsavers . *
he's confused Rovers jerserys for the aul sell-thick jersey.

* not slaggin speccy people.i'm one myself