PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland vs England - Friendly

Deckydee
02/04/2008, 1:43 PM
We have an Italian coach, they have an italian coach..........its been 13 years..............

Would you object? Would you go? Would you want it?

Let me know your feelings

joe_barry80
02/04/2008, 1:53 PM
Of course. Who wouldn't? Never got a refund for my 2 pound ticket the last time. Does the ticket stub from that game still grant you free entry? :rolleyes:

Shedender81
02/04/2008, 1:54 PM
We have an Italian coach, they have an italian coach..........its been 13 years..............

Would you object? Would you go? Would you want it?

Let me know your feelings

No problems if its policed correctly or if its in London...

I would be more concerned with trouble around town rather than at the game.. as the anti-social problems in Dublin at night are out of control and it would give our local scum and excuse for a brawl.... Love Ulster march ring a bell

Bet Charlie Bird will stay home this time

Block G Raptor
02/04/2008, 1:56 PM
Would you object?Yes Would you go?No Would you want it?No
Don't see the point in giving the Scum another chance to wreck our stadiums for a meaningless friendly. If it was a competitive game I'd be all for it but not for a friendly

Deckydee
02/04/2008, 2:01 PM
Don't see the point in giving the Scum another chance to wreck our stadiums for a meaningless friendly. If it was a competitive game I'd be all for it but not for a friendly

Bit harsh there Raptor, no?

tetsujin1979
02/04/2008, 2:28 PM
If it was a competitive game, it would mean we were drawn in the same group at random, whether you'd be all for it not would be irrelevant!

Claret Murph
02/04/2008, 2:54 PM
I would take it as I would love another chance to put one over on them , remember it was 1987 since the last time they beat us ( i think ) .
London or Dublin would be fine with me .

Shedender81
02/04/2008, 2:55 PM
I would take it as I would love another chance to put one over on them , remember it was 1987 since the last time they beat us ( i think ) .
London or Dublin would be fine with me .

1985 - 2-1 in Wembley

Block G Raptor
02/04/2008, 3:00 PM
If it was a competitive game, it would mean we were drawn in the same group at random, whether you'd be all for it not would be irrelevant!

I'd love us to play them as much as anyone and if we were to be drawn with them competitively then as you point out we'd have no choice. Don't see the point of inviting them over here for a friendly in the hope that they won't go on a rampage

Torn-Ado
02/04/2008, 3:37 PM
No problems if its policed correctly or if its in London...

I would be more concerned with trouble around town rather than at the game.. as the anti-social problems in Dublin at night are out of control and it would give our local scum and excuse for a brawl.... Love Ulster march ring a bell

Bet Charlie Bird will stay home this time

Yes because its the Irish hooligans that are the real problem.

as_i_say
02/04/2008, 3:51 PM
the most recent panorama on english yobs (type panorama/hooligans into youtube to view) activites in wc2006 shows a new culture of yob behaviour by england fans at away games. the bigwig hooligans are blacklisted but the type of scum that wreck their own towns and cities at weekend nights are increasingly travelling to away england games.

they are not the type to rip up seats at a stadium but exactly the type to just cause drunken havoc in town.

I wouldnt want us to ever play england again unless it was competetive.

Block G Raptor
02/04/2008, 4:12 PM
the most recent panorama on english yobs (type panorama/hooligans into youtube to view) activites in wc2006 shows a new culture of yob behaviour by england fans at away games. the bigwig hooligans are blacklisted but the type of scum that wreck their own towns and cities at weekend nights are increasingly travelling to away england games.

they are not the type to rip up seats at a stadium but exactly the type to just cause drunken havoc in town.

I wouldnt want us to ever play england again unless it was competetive.
Exactly. you wouldn't do up your house and then invite the local schooligans to the house warming would you

Paulie
02/04/2008, 4:54 PM
I wouldn't like us to play them at home as I reckon with the history of Croke Park that their yob element would travel in force. Of course I'd still go. I'd much prefer however, if we were to play them in a friendly, that it be away from home. Again I'd go.

Like Ciaran said though, at the moment it would serve us better to play a couple of away games in Eastern Europe. The Serbia game, while a home fixture, is certainly a good exercise for us.

The Legend
02/04/2008, 5:59 PM
Agree, no way at Croker... you're definitely asking for trouble, especially since we havent played them since that riot. If it was in England, maybe.

Razors left peg
02/04/2008, 7:08 PM
There is absolutely no value in it at all. Unnessary policing hassles and as has been said they would target Croker because of the history of the place.
I am in favour of the Celtic Cup though. They would still basically be friendlies but with something to play for it would be a good place to blood players and work on team tactics in a semi compeditive enviroment rather than some of the crap friendlies we get

kingdomkerry
02/04/2008, 10:02 PM
As long as their "fans" are'nt given any tickets I dont see any problem

Shedender81
03/04/2008, 8:41 AM
Yes because its the Irish hooligans that are the real problem.

Well over the last few years we are starting to see some issues at ireland games

Dr. Ogba
03/04/2008, 9:16 AM
There is absolutely no value in it at all. Unnessary policing hassles and as has been said they would target Croker because of the history of the place.
I am in favour of the Celtic Cup though. They would still basically be friendlies but with something to play for it would be a good place to blood players and work on team tactics in a semi compeditive enviroment rather than some of the crap friendlies we get

Completely agree, more hassle than it's worth.

If a Celtic Cup was every 2 years (or longer), say in the year after the World Cup then it could be worthwhile, there would be a danger of it going very stale very quickly otherwise.

SunderlandBohs
03/04/2008, 1:08 PM
In fairness to the English fans they have improved over the years. And its not like we don't have any hoolies of our own over here. Every country, every club from here to Sydney have a bad element of 'supporters'. I've been to Ireland games were I've heard a very small section of our support use racsits comments towards players on both teams! And anyone on here says that we don't have a small group of trouble makers is lying. I say lets play England again. Don't let the scum win.

Torn-Ado
03/04/2008, 2:22 PM
In fairness to the English fans they have improved over the years. And its not like we don't have any hoolies of our own over here. Every country, every club from here to Sydney have a bad element of 'supporters'. I've been to Ireland games were I've heard a very small section of our support use racsits comments towards players on both teams! And anyone on here says that we don't have a small group of trouble makers is lying. I say lets play England again. Don't let the scum win.

I'm not sure where this myth that the English hooligans have improved has arised from but people seem to be swallowing it. At the last world cup they destroyed cities, attacked normal football fans (men, women and children) and were a complete disgrace in general. Only because it isn't all over the news every minute of the day, it doesn't mean they're reformed. Ask your average German what they were like.

And comparing a few Shamrock Rovers/Bohs etc toe-rags to England is just wrong.

SunderlandBohs
03/04/2008, 2:37 PM
I'm not sure where this myth that the English hooligans have improved has arised from but people seem to be swallowing it. At the last world cup they destroyed cities, attacked normal football fans (men, women and children) and were a complete disgrace in general. Only because it isn't all over the news every minute of the day, it doesn't mean they're reformed. Ask your average German what they were like.

And comparing a few Shamrock Rovers/Bohs etc toe-rags to England is just wrong.
When did this happen at the World Cup? I was there in the early part of the group stages though I wasn't at any of the cities that England were in but the ones I met at the fan parks seemed ok to me. The hooligan problem in English football ins't gone but it's not as bad as it was in the 70's & 80's. We all know about the trouble with Roma v Man U & Liverpool in Athens. What about the the 3,500 Sunderland fans that travelled over here during the summer? They were applauded by the councils of Dublin, Cork & Galway. Oh, and you mustn't have been at many Bohs v Rovers matches in your time?

tetsujin1979
03/04/2008, 2:43 PM
When did this happen at the World Cup? I was there in the early part of the group stages though I wasn't at any of the cities that England were in but the ones I met at the fan parks seemed ok to me.
did you not see the Panorama special on hooligans at the World Cup? A friend of mine was around the corner from where they filmed people chanting "no surrender" on steps, and was advised to move on because one of the other lads he was with was wearing an Ireland jersey

carloz
03/04/2008, 2:44 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x43xfm_english-hooligans-in-germany-world_sport

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUcKWBP94ok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzYhGK9x4W8

A few videos about the Englsih hooligans at the 2006 world cup. It didnt receive much attention(for example it didnt receive as much attention as Euro 2000) as the police did a good job on the controlling them. However they were the worst fans at the tournament by quite a distance. i dont see what can be acheived by playing England at the moment. Both teams are in the doldrums at the moment and we both need to sort ourselves out. When we play England i would like it to be when we are both at the top of our game

Torn-Ado
03/04/2008, 2:51 PM
When did this happen at the World Cup? I was there in the early part of the group stages though I wasn't at any of the cities that England were in but the ones I met at the fan parks seemed ok to me. The hooligan problem in English football ins't gone but it's not as bad as it was in the 70's & 80's. We all know about the trouble with Roma v Man U & Liverpool in Athens. What about the the 3,500 Sunderland fans that travelled over here during the summer? They were applauded by the councils of Dublin, Cork & Galway. Oh, and you mustn't have been at many Bohs v Rovers matches in your time?

The two posts by the guys above reinforces my point that comparing Rovers/Bohs hooligans to England hooligans is quite ridiculous.

Shedender81
03/04/2008, 3:50 PM

I totally agree 100%