PDA

View Full Version : best performance by an E.L team in europe

parnell ranger
15/07/2003, 1:24 PM
This may have been done already.
In my biased opinion i reckon Athlones 0-0 draw vs A.C. Milan where they missed a penalty and then held the Italians scoreless till the 65th minute at the san siro as top o the heap.
U.C.D 'S draw at everton next.
i dont rate any result against scottish league sides.

:D

J.O.F.A.S
15/07/2003, 2:08 PM
Cork City 1 Bayern Munchen 1 (1992)

City go one up through Davey Barry, Injury time in first half a certain Stefan Effenberg equalized! (Away 0-2)

Cork City 0 Standard Liege 0 (1997)

J.O.F.A.S
15/07/2003, 2:09 PM
Cork City 2 Arsenal 1

-----------------------------------------
Well I mean Arsenal Kiev:D :D :D

James
15/07/2003, 2:24 PM
think the away leg of the city v bayern munich match
saw the game on german satelite channel, city held mighty bayern scoreless till circa 75mins or so and conceeded 2 late goals (moreso due to tired legs then anything else).. think they earlier had missed a chance to score when the game was 0-0 also

another excellent performance by city was the 2-1 defeat in turkey v galatasaray

Éanna
15/07/2003, 2:45 PM
citys home win v IFK goteborg was excellent as well. we should have scored more than one though.

DvB
15/07/2003, 3:16 PM
Not forgetting

Valencia 2-2 Rovers

Rovers 1-1 Bayern Munich
Bayern Munich 3-2 Rovers
(with rovers 2-1 up with less than 10 minutes to go & getting suckered by a last minute winner)

Rovers 2-1 Schalke

Fram 0-3 Rovers
Rovers 4-0 Fram
(Any 7-0 on aggregate win is a good one!!)

Odra 1-2 Rovers ( rovers 1-0 down with 10 minutes to go)
Rovers 1-0 Odra
(first time in 20 years an el team wins both legs)

Koh

DvB

tiktok
15/07/2003, 3:37 PM
i think the LOI's best was Athlone Town -v- AC Milan.
City's the 1-1 -v- Bayern, shutting that snivelling f'nberg up.

i'd rate the 2-1 against CSKA Kiev above Goteborg because the swedes were 3-0 up from the first leg and half asleep, though they fielded a strong enough side. against the ukrainians we undeservedly conceeded a late goal that eventually put us out.

The Donie Forde
15/07/2003, 3:51 PM
A tie that isn't very fondly remembered for the end result, Cwmbran v Cork City is worth a mention as it is probably the only time a League of Ireland side went 0:3 down in Europe and still progressed.

Sure, it should have been won with a bit to spare and City should not have allowed themselves to be taken to the brink. However, as an achievement, it's possibly unique.

Donie

patsh
15/07/2003, 3:52 PM
I'd go with Athlone v Inter.
Galatasaray and Bayern were good results.
Didn't Bohs do fairly well with Collins a few seasons ago?

pineapple stu
15/07/2003, 4:37 PM
How about Shels v. Belenenses from Portugal in the 1960s? Shels progressed after a replay after the tie was level after two legs. Winning a tie twice has to count for something!

UCD v. Everton of course has to go in.:cool:

Bohs v. Rangers - 3-2 in Dalyer and 0-0 in Ibrox at half-time.

The first hour of Shels v. Rangers in Tranmere..

pete
15/07/2003, 5:38 PM
Hard to comment on anything pre-80's as was a completely different time in football back then.

One of the best performances in a tie has to be City v Galatassaray. 1-2 away where Manchester only drew later on & 0-1 at home after putting on a great performance only done by a late goal.

Bohs beating Aberdeen has to get a mention cos they actually won the tie.

Will be interesting to see how eL sides cope this year with improved fitness - should hopefully stop them conceeding late goals.

TommyT
15/07/2003, 11:48 PM
Lads euro games are played over two Legs, holding teams for half of the tie isn't really that great, they'll always be confident of doing you when they get you back home. The top three I've seen, in order, would be Shels v Tavriya Simferopol, Bohs v Aberdeen (OK the Dons should've been relegated the previous season but they were former Euro winners), Rovers v Odra Wodzislaw.

Derry had a remarkable run in Europe in the early 60s while representing the IL.

gspain
16/07/2003, 8:33 AM
Got to go with teams actually going through or coming close rather than good wins in dead ties - eg Limerick got a great draw in Southampton but the tie was dead - Drums beat Bayern etc.

Best for me (no particular order)

bohs beating Aberdeen
Shels beating Belenses
Dundalk beating DOS Utrecht
Rovers beating Odra
Pats beating Rijeka
Bohs beating esbjerg
Waterford beating Glentoran h&a (great Glens sid ehad drawn with Benfica twice, anderlect and beaten Arsenal in previous 3 seasons).
Drums beating Odense
Shels beating Karpaty
Shels beating Sloga.
Dundalk coming so close v Celtic in 1979
Pats coming so close v Ghent
Bohs coming so close v Dynamo Minsk.

As for the best - have to go with Bohs v Aberdeen

pineapple stu
16/07/2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by gspain
Pats coming so close v Ghent

Genk, not Ghent - Ghent's a different team. Just to be pedantic like.:rolleyes:

Shels v. Karpaty Lvov was a good result seeing as how they lost the first leg.

Suppose UCD v. Velbazhd Kyustendil could go in as well seeing as how we're counting InterToto Cup ties - the Bulgarian league had already started when we drew 3-3 in Belfield and then 0-0 in Bulgaria.

gspain
16/07/2003, 2:43 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Genk, not Ghent - Ghent's a different team. Just to be pedantic like.:rolleyes:

Since you want to be pedantic it was Ghent that St Pats played not Genk which indeed is a different place and club. :D

Would deffo have included UCD v Everton if Joe Hanrahan had scored when through on goal at Goodison with a few minutes to go.

Xlex
16/07/2003, 3:14 PM
Have to say that I'm so proud of Longford's results against Lovech, against a side who did quite well that year...

First leg (http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~jw/cupcomp-uefacup2001-longford.htm)

Second Leg (http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~jw/cupcomp-uefacup2001-lovech.htm)

Lovech got to the second round proper, I think...

I wasn't on the internet boards then, Can anyone remember how fellow internet geeks thought we'd do...

Xlex
16/07/2003, 3:16 PM
forgot to mention that it was a very exciting week, we got Flancare ready and it was a great week

el insider
16/07/2003, 5:21 PM
i thought it was the thid round when they lost to aek athens.=

James
16/07/2003, 5:23 PM
city away in Lausanne
lost 1-0 to a late 85th min or summit goal to a lausanne sport side that went onto the quater finals of that competition after beating Ajax and i think Nantes after us..

*lausanne are now gone bankrupt*

TommyT
16/07/2003, 6:07 PM
Not saying ''everyone's only entitled to my opinion like'' but I'm amazed Shels v Tavriya is getting such little recognition. Champions of the Republic of Ireland versus Champions of the Ukraine remember people.

TheRealRovers
16/07/2003, 9:20 PM
Rovers cup winners cup run in '94 we just got out of the 1st division.
Rovers 3-3 draw with nantes in Showgrounds too.

TommyT
17/07/2003, 6:32 PM
Originally posted by TheRealRovers
Rovers 3-3 draw with nantes in Showgrounds too.

That definitely deserves a mention. Wasn't it the game where a large proportion of the crowd arrived up half an hour late; after hearing Sligo were winning on the radio people streamed up to the ground out of pubs, chippers, arcades etc ?

TheRealRovers
17/07/2003, 8:15 PM
That definitely deserves a mention. Wasn't it the game where a large proportion of the crowd arrived up half an hour late; after hearing Sligo were winning on the radio people streamed up to the ground out of pubs, chippers, arcades etc ?

There were a few that came in late maybe 15 minutes or so. I don't know were you herd that story Tommy T

tiktok
17/07/2003, 8:56 PM
Originally posted by TheRealRovers
There were a few that came in late maybe 15 minutes or so. I don't know were you herd that story Tommy T

i remember seeing that somewhere as well, might have been in Eamon Sweeney's book "There's only one red army"

definitely a european result that deserves it's place on the list though!

gspain
18/07/2003, 9:55 AM
Originally posted by TommyT
Not saying ''everyone's only entitled to my opinion like'' but I'm amazed Shels v Tavriya is getting such little recognition. Champions of the Republic of Ireland versus Champions of the Ukraine remember people.

Tommy, Tavria beat Shels 2-1 on aggregate in 92. Anyway Tavria bribed their way to the title the year before.

Shels did beat Karpaty Lvov of the Ukraine 3-2 on aggregate 0-1 & 3-1 in 93 - brilliant performance mentioned by me above.