PDA

View Full Version : Post Outrage Here

dahamsta
15/07/2003, 12:00 AM
Feel free to post outrage at the introduction of Google ads here.

It's a test. I want to see what kind of return it generates.

adam

UCD_4_Life
15/07/2003, 12:20 AM
Outrage.

tiktok
15/07/2003, 12:30 AM
oh yeah, i hadn't noticed that.

err...i mean, outrage, yeah Grrr:mad:

J.O.F.A.S
15/07/2003, 12:50 AM
Considering you did invite us to get outraged,well ill do it..

Adam,what in gods name or you thinking about this rubbish,I think its a "PHUCKING" (caps lock hehe) outrage.I cant believe it...Definatly going to log on and off and cookies off and keep clicking these banners so you all get an in-accurate percentage......A total an utter bilwilderd mistake....

As George would say: Danger Here...........

Bottom Line: Outrage:o

J.O.F.A.S
15/07/2003, 12:51 AM
By the way I think you made a flaw...

When the person clicks on the link, you should have it open a new page rather than the same one, then you can view that site as well as foot.ie

YES/NO?

dahamsta
15/07/2003, 8:26 AM
Originally posted by J.O.F.A.S
By the way I think you made a flaw...

When the person clicks on the link, you should have it open a new page rather than the same one, then you can view that site as well as foot.ie

YES/NO? The ads are pushed to the site by Google, I have no control over them. I'll presume you were kidding above, but in case you weren't, don't screw with the ads. If I get an inflated clickthru from them you'd just be encouraging me to install them permanently. Just treat them like you'd usually treat ads -- ignore them, rant about them, click them, whatever.

adam

pete
15/07/2003, 9:56 AM
Shame on you. Your just a sellout man! Pure greed like...

:(

dahamsta
15/07/2003, 11:48 AM
Out of curiosity:

I noticed yesterday that ads for Soccer Central were showing up and I wasn't sure whether I wanted that so I blocked them via Google's control panel until I made up my mind for the moment. Strictly speaking it's not a conflict, but I seem to remember that they have forums and it strikes me as a little silly to feed traffic to a "competing" site. What do you guys think?

adam

Ref
15/07/2003, 11:55 AM
well if you're getting money for the ads i don't think it really matters.

theres links for soccer central elsewhere on the site also so i'd say leave the ads alone.

anyway it's not as if we're going to desert foot.ie for soccer central!!!!

however that being said they don't provide a link to foot.ie so i'm undecided.....

:)

Estar
15/07/2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Vetinari
Out of curiosity:

What do you guys think?

adam

The adds have little or no effect on my enjoyment of the site. Never have had a problem with adds as long as they are not of the pop up type. It would seem logical to block Soccer Central.

James
15/07/2003, 12:21 PM
ads i dont like them on the whole
but i reckon if ya get a fewshillings from them then leave as is (as long as its kinda unobtrusive and not of the pop-up type)

soccercentral link i'd leave go on the site
i use soccercentral regularly for news content.. their forum is dead and will never take traffic from here, ppl here though judging on the news items posted here do use soccercentral a bit already and dont post in their forums so dont think the link would do anyharm traffic wise to you.

taughts?

yur man
15/07/2003, 1:43 PM
ads are fine once they dont follow u down the page or block yur view

google have some fairly annoyin ads where u have to click twice to get rid of them :rolleyes:

Ref
15/07/2003, 1:50 PM
Originally posted by yur man
google have some fairly annoyin ads where u have to click twice to get rid of them :rolleyes:

isn't that geocities?

Dodge
15/07/2003, 1:55 PM
Prefer not to have them but if they the bills...

I'd leave the soccercentral ad too as its a bit more relevant than the other (nothing worse than being on a football site and getting pop ups for cheap hotels in Nebraska...) Not really a conflict of interest as soccercentral is news based, as opposed to opinion based foot.ie

dahamsta
15/07/2003, 2:09 PM
google have some fairly annoyin ads where u have to click twice to get rid of them

As Ref says, that's Yahoo/Geocities.

I've removed the block on Soccer Central, their ads will reappear in an hour or two.

adam

joe
15/07/2003, 2:10 PM
is it just me or has the bar stopped following us around?? is this to do with the ads?

Xlex
15/07/2003, 2:20 PM
it's you, I'm afraid:confused:

Schumi
15/07/2003, 2:36 PM
I don't really care, I won't click on them anyway. If they stay the way they are now, it doesn't really bother me. The only thing is that they look a bit ugly with the white bit in the middle of the green at the top.

dahamsta
15/07/2003, 2:42 PM
Originally posted by joe
is it just me or has the bar stopped following us around?? is this to do with the ads? http://foot.ie/showthread.php?s=&postid=65353#post65353

<adam hopes for reverse outrage>

Xlex
15/07/2003, 2:57 PM
Originally posted by Xlex
it's you, I'm afraid:confused:

it's me... :confused:

yur man
16/07/2003, 12:21 AM
oh yeah, geocities :o

dahamsta
31/07/2003, 1:13 PM
An update on this: The ads have been running on the site now for just over two weeks, i.e. around half a month. My earnings for that period are just under $20, so we're probably talking about earnings of between $35 and $40 for a full month. I'm not really willing to assume that the return will continue like this, but if it did, the Google ads should pay for the Foot.ie server one month in three. Pure greed pete, eh? :)

Right, so what do ye think? Are they annoying you or getting in your way? Have you actually seen something that interested you? In other words: Do I let 'em run or don't I?

adam

James
31/07/2003, 1:18 PM
let em run
i think they look stooopid tho

Dodge
31/07/2003, 1:34 PM
Just out of interest, are you paid per click, if so, would you no just, click on them for a solid 5-10 minutes and boost your income? *

Is there anyway, you could control the colours of the ads?

*I assume its not that easy but hey...

Schumi
31/07/2003, 1:36 PM
I'd forgotten about those! Now that I've remembered, I'm outraged again. :D

If you're getting money out of them, you may as well keep them. A green background colour would be neater though.

James
31/07/2003, 1:53 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
A green background colour would be neater though.
yeah agree with the student kildare scum on this one
green background and you wudnt even know they were there

Neil
31/07/2003, 1:56 PM
What ads?

Eric
31/07/2003, 2:02 PM
The ones at the top of the page!!!:rolleyes:

Neil
31/07/2003, 2:09 PM
What page?

Cityace
02/08/2003, 7:38 PM
There up in the corner so they wont bother any1, there making you some mula, therefore win-win situation!

Also,

Outrage.

eoinh
02/08/2003, 8:02 PM
Originally posted by Xlex
it's me... :confused:

well, its me too:confused: :confused:

eoinh
08/08/2003, 11:38 AM
theres an interesting article in the Irish Times today which you may find interesting (normal people wont). Its on Page 4 of their business supplement. Its about google and their advertising software etc.

one bit is funny

"And googles targeted advertising is not perfect. Mr Dunne has part of his site dedicated to information on the ongoing case of the IRA double-agent codenamed Stakeknife. Sure enough, the banner advertisments on that page detected the content: and began offering readers great deals on steak knives".

Cityace
08/08/2003, 10:15 PM
Hey Vet look what i found!!!!!

Originally posted by Vetinari

No advertising

Read my lips: None. Nada. Zip. Zero. Nothing. We don't run advertising, so we don't see why you should. And be warned, this applies to everyone, even if it's just your own homepage, or you're doing it for a charity you volunteer for. If you want to advertise on Foot.ie, for anything, you need to talk to us first. If it's a worthy cause, we'll probably work something out for you for free, but you have to ask. The only caveat here is that you can stick a link in your sig as long as it's not too obtrusive.

Tsk,Tsk, Breaking your own rules!!!:rolleyes: :D

dahamsta
08/08/2003, 10:27 PM
Dunno what you're talking about.

adam /whistles