PDA

View Full Version : Watergate

mypost
01/04/2008, 5:08 PM
hits Galway again (http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/12532641?view=Eircomnet)

Meanwhile, the media are busy boring the country to tears with pages and pages, and airtime over Bertie's money.

Nice to know we have our priorities right in this country. :rolleyes:

anto1208
02/04/2008, 8:51 AM
Its not news. The water supply system is old and people here wont pay for there water they exspect it for free and waste it while also massivly polluting the ground water with slurry and septic tanks . This will allways happen untill rates are introduced. But anytime its mentioned you get the same old i pay enough tax line.

Lim till i die
02/04/2008, 11:26 AM
Meanwhile, the media are busy boring the country to tears with pages and pages, and airtime over Bertie's money.

I for one care far more about whether or not the leader of the country is potentially corrupt than I do about a couple of poisoned gaelgoirs.

rambler14
02/04/2008, 4:16 PM
hits Galway again (http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/breaking/12532641?view=Eircomnet)

Nice to know we have our priorities right in this country. :rolleyes:

Did Tony Cousins urinate in the water as he left or something????:D:D

pete
02/04/2008, 6:55 PM
Its not news. The water supply system is old and people here wont pay for there water they exspect it for free and waste it while also massivly polluting the ground water with slurry and septic tanks . This will allways happen untill rates are introduced. But anytime its mentioned you get the same old i pay enough tax line.

Road taxes pay for water supply. Metering is essentially & seems only way this will happen is when EU force us. Makes no sense that 1-2 person home with no garden pays the same (i.e. no metered charge) as 8 person home watering garden all summer.

None of this is a excuse for polluted water system. If the local council operators cannot manage the system they should be removed. If it is not their fault then it is someone else. Industrial or agricultural polluters should be prosecuted & named. Pollution didn't emerge from nowhere. Can't be difficult to discover the reason.

Macy
03/04/2008, 9:06 AM
If they bring in water charges, they should reduce the VAT rate. Afterall, VAT went up to pay for the abolition of local charges. That's why this, and the bin tax are double taxation. Water infrastructure is just another one to add to the list of what could've been improved during the boom times.

John83
03/04/2008, 10:10 AM
Clean water is an essential, as are effective sewage treatment, a good transport infastructure, an effective health service and a waste collection and disposal service. I'm opposed to individual fees for any of these. This is what a progressive taxation system is for.

Strictly back on topic, for me the key sentence in that news report is:

However, the water supply for the Roundstone area is drawn from a source that is regarded as vulnerable and the optimum solution is to bring an alternative piped water supply to the area.
Cryptosporidium is associated with water contaminated with human waste, which means that someone is not doing a good enough sewage treatment job, and someone else is paying for it.

mypost
03/04/2008, 2:03 PM
I for one care far more about whether or not the leader of the country is potentially corrupt than I do about a couple of poisoned gaelgoirs.

There are more important matters which deserve more airtime, than arguing over relatively small amounts of cash received or not received, moons ago.

Macy
03/04/2008, 2:55 PM
There are more important matters which deserve more airtime, than arguing over relatively small amounts of cash received or not received, moons ago.
Over €800,000 in 2 years is a small amount :eek:

Poor infrastructure, including water treatment and supply, can be tied to Planning Corruption. The result of planning corruption is wrong houses, built in the wrong places, with inadequate infrastructural support....

Dodge
03/04/2008, 2:56 PM
If they bring in water charges, they should reduce the VAT rate. Afterall, VAT went up to pay for the abolition of local charges. That's why this, and the bin tax are double taxation. Water infrastructure is just another one to add to the list of what could've been improved during the boom times.

I thought all you lefties wanted more taxes ;)

mypost
03/04/2008, 3:59 PM
Over €800,000 in 2 years is a small amount :eek:

CH took £8,500,000.

Dodge
03/04/2008, 6:00 PM
CH took £8,500,000.

This the FF response that I despise most.

pete
03/04/2008, 6:10 PM
CH took £8,500,000.

That is ok so. Only 10% as corrupt.

What is the solution when local authority incapable of delivering clean water? You can only blame central government for so much.

An advantage of privatisation is you get in expertise from International Utilities company & as long as strict clauses in their contract you can prosecute if they do not provide clean water.

GavinZac
03/04/2008, 8:35 PM
This the FF response that I despise most.

CH took £8,500,000.

Macy
04/04/2008, 7:22 AM
I thought all you lefties wanted more taxes ;)
Progressive taxes, not regressive ones.

CH took £8,500,000.
So he's not as good as his mentor. Having said that, it's €800,000 in 94-95 (in the accounts he didn't go to court to stop the tribunal investigating) - there's a lot of years left that he could've got to the levels all FF people aspire.