PDA

View Full Version : Gormley?

braysnumber1
01/04/2008, 2:50 PM
With 3 out of 12 going down (1/4) and the worst possible start is his position safe? We have already seen a club in similar circumstances sack their manager (Tony Cousins - Galway, incase anyone didnt already know!!). I know Bray don't exactly hav the rep to sack the manager but anything might happen......

If you look at the teams, basically bohs, rovers, pats, derry, cork and drogheda will not be involved at the bottom, that leaves 6 clubs (ucd, cobh, harps, galway, sligo and us) and of which 3 will be relegated. The more I think about it I get even more worried.

Since Eddie took over from Tony McGuirk he has steadied the ship and has signed some good players but hasnt exactly moved us on anywhere... Do we need a change or leave him and give him more time? (not much time to give him imo!!!)

I wasnt even sure whether to write this post but I'd like other peoples opinions and thoughts on eddie and brays chances now

centre mid
01/04/2008, 3:10 PM
no its been four games ffs, Galway are supposed to be fully pro and have paniced imo.

WoodquayBoy
01/04/2008, 3:16 PM
I'd rather we panicked now and did something about it rather than panic later when it could be too late.

superfrank
01/04/2008, 5:09 PM
If we don't score against Harps then serious questions have to be asked of Eddie. Yes, we don't usually sack managers but when the team are playing as poorly as they have of late, you can only blame one man.

Seagull
01/04/2008, 8:43 PM
It's Gormley ffs. He hasn't impressed me at all this season, I think he may be out of his depth... Let's wait for the Harps game and see if he can get a performance from the players. If not, time's up.

Hulsey
02/04/2008, 9:27 AM
Four games is far too early to be talking bout sacking eddie. Sure the performances hav'nt been great but a panic sacking could have a negative effect and make things much worse.

Just curious, those who want eddie out, who do you want in?

jonboy
02/04/2008, 12:40 PM
Four games is far too early to be talking bout sacking eddie. Sure the performances hav'nt been great but a panic sacking could have a negative effect and make things much worse.

Just curious, those who want eddie out, who do you want in?

roddy................ONLY JOKIN!! give eddie the first series of games and see where we are then in other words another 6-7 games if we pick up 3 points on friday it could move us on

KR's Post
02/04/2008, 1:17 PM
Just because he was a good player doesn't make him a good manager.

Grey Boy
02/04/2008, 6:07 PM
This is a ridiculous thread. Even suggesting after 4 games of a season that a manager who clearly improved things last season should go. A third of the season minimum before this should be brought up again. Bray are a part time club in a majority full time league. Yes we've had a few less than encouraging performances but it takes a few games for new players to adjust to playing with each other. I 've no doubt we've the right man in charge. Give it the time it deserves this season and it'll come right. And besides what calibre manager do you expect us to get?

tippex
03/04/2008, 9:14 AM
Guys it is too early for a knee jerk reaction. I think Eddie can turn things around but it has to start tomorrow. If we don't get the three points tomorrow we are in dire trouble.

I would agree that there should be a review after the first series of matches

superfrank
03/04/2008, 2:18 PM
With 3 teams going down this year, we should make sure to fix things as quickly as possible.

After tomorrow night we will have played both UCD and Harps at home. We should get 6 points from those two. Already we've dropped 3 against UCD, if we lose to Harps tomorrow something has to be done.

dublinwanderer
03/04/2008, 6:48 PM
i'd hate to see eddie go, but, 4 games no goals and only 1 point isnt good enough. i think another 3 games is about long enough, home to derry and in same situation he has to go.

but then who would you bring in? rico? cousins? roddy? sean connor? or would you promote longer or osam?

not much options out ther - as roddy and connor are **** managers and not wanted!!! would love stephen kenny but cant see that ever happening....

superfrank
03/04/2008, 9:22 PM
Stephen Kenny...there's no chance we'd get him. If Rico doesn't take the Galway job and Eddie does go then we should go for him. He may be an annoying gob****e but at least he knows how to win trophies.

centre mid
03/04/2008, 9:25 PM
Cant see Rico being interested tbh

superfrank
03/04/2008, 9:26 PM
There would be no harm in asking.

jonboy
04/04/2008, 9:30 AM
There would be no harm in asking.

bray havent got 1200 a week to pay him, on another note we may be part time but the players are not the worst paid in the league and on paper the squad should be midtable, if you look at the budget of finn harps, UCD and cobh we are well above them moneywise, they are also part time but it would appear they have much better fitness levels why is this???

Sam_Heggy
04/04/2008, 9:40 AM
bray havent got 1200 a week to pay him, on another note we may be part time but the players are not the worst paid in the league and on paper the squad should be midtable, if you look at the budget of finn harps, UCD and cobh we are well above them moneywise, they are also part time but it would appear they have much better fitness levels why is this???

We are full time with our budget this season in the region of €900K.

hedderman
04/04/2008, 10:37 AM
We are full time with our budget this season in the region of €900K.

Sam_Heggy, what do you think of Finn Harps going full time? Is the business plan flawed?

I just don't see Harps getting the revenue through attendances/sponsorship or whatever to support that.

harps1954
04/04/2008, 11:28 AM
Sam_Heggy, what do you think of Finn Harps going full time? Is the business plan flawed?

I just don't see Harps getting the revenue through attendances/sponsorship or whatever to support that.

In fairness to the Harps board, they have it well thought out and have budgeted for same. Their shirt sponsorship alone this season brought in around €70k - this coming from Donegal Creameries who are the main club sponsors and the draw for companies to be the back of the shirt sponsors. They run a 'Monster Draw' each year which brings in around the same figure. That's on top of weekly draws like the Club Lotto, 500 Club, etc. The 500 Club alone brings in close to €80k a season. There's then advertising through Player Sponsorship, Match Sponsorship, Matchball Sponsorship, Advertising Hoardings, Programme Advertising, etc.

All of the above before you talk about matchday revenue - which consists of gate receipts, programme sales and half-time draw sales.

There's plenty other fundraising activites as well through the year like Nights at the Races, Golf Classics, etc.

It's a big ask of the club to raise the best part of €1million. But as I said, it's something that has been well thought out and budgeted for so I'd be pretty confident they can deliver on it.

Sam_Heggy
04/04/2008, 12:21 PM

The commercial manager Allan McCrea looks to be doing a fantastic job, just ask Harps1954 :p I hear every time he has the programme ready to go to publish Allan comes in with more business' looking to put adds in. :D

Stevo Da Gull
04/04/2008, 1:46 PM
I reckon Eddie needs a bit of time.
I'm surprised at the amount of pro-teams in the country. I thought European football and/or Setanta Cup income would be needed to support a full-time set-up, but then again most clubs probably run a tighter ship than Shels did.

dublinwanderer
19/07/2008, 12:13 PM
has he had enough time now?

after this thread was started he turned the performances around, now it has gone downhill very quickly again....

what ye think lads???

naoise kennedy
19/07/2008, 6:25 PM
has he had enough time now?

after this thread was started he turned the performances around, now it has gone downhill very quickly again....

what ye think lads???

yes he did turn it around the last time or did he??? when we got beaten by ucd at the start of the season paul osam said that the long ball was not working for us and that we should change.. he worked very hard and got us passing the ball and our season got better, alan cawley our main passer of the ball has gone through a bad patch and has missed a few games.. i have given alan a bit of grief lately but the last two/ three matches show's how important he is... or do we need to change tactics again......

TheBoss
19/07/2008, 6:47 PM
From my perspective, Bray have over-achieved slightly, he is doing a decent job and should not be always criticised over bad patch of form.

superfrank
19/07/2008, 7:13 PM
Gormley needs to find out how to consistently beat the teams around us.

That's two years in a row we've lost at home to Galway. Not good enough.

Bear in mind our poor record against UCD, the lads need to cop on. Those are the games that I want us to be winning on a regular basis.

TheBoss
19/07/2008, 10:59 PM
I understand, but is the priority to avoid relegation or get into to challenge for Europe. It can only be 1 of following and at the moment, about half way between them, so overall he is doing well regardless of what teams beat you. Remember Man Utd losing to West Ham 3 times in a row and still won the league twice in that time.

naoise kennedy
20/07/2008, 10:15 AM
I understand, but is the priority to avoid relegation or get into to challenge for Europe. It can only be 1 of following and at the moment, about half way between them, so overall he is doing well regardless of what teams beat you. Remember Man Utd losing to West Ham 3 times in a row and still won the league twice in that time.

up the hammers....