PDA

View Full Version : Who???

pineapple stu
14/07/2003, 4:37 PM
Who are B Ryan and Rooney who played for us against Derry on Friday??? B Ryan came on for Ben Savage at half time, Rooney came on for Toy Mac with 20 minutes to go.

Interesting to see Austin O'Neill on the bench instead of Barry Andrews!

One of the lads in the office was saying he met a few Derry fans on Friday and they were saying that they'd never seen a team so lucky to get a point out of a game as us! Having read a few match reports (including the "Entertainment" marks in the Star - 7 for us, 6 for Derry), it sounds like neither team did anything to win the game and so it seems the Derry fans thought a little too highly of their team - this fair?

For the record, UCD ratings in the Star -

Jennings 8
Sullivan 7
McAuley 7
Savage 6
B Ryan 6
McNally 7
J Martin 7
Cawley 8
McDonnell 7
Rooney 6
R Martin 6
Griffin 6
McWalter 7
Davey 7

UCD_4_Life
14/07/2003, 5:28 PM
I don't know who Ryan is - I didn't notice him to be honest.

Rooney is forward who reminds me of Alan Gallen in that he's not that good. To be fair I only saw twenty minutes of him but it was the most unispiring outing this side of a Barry Andrews appearance.

Those Derry fans are talking out of their ar$es. If anybody deserved to win the match it was us. While they had a few good chances, we had more and for once the opposing keeper was busier (and pulled off better saves) than Pat Jennings.

John83
14/07/2003, 7:15 PM
Originally posted by UCD_4_Life
While they had a few good chances, we had more and for once the opposing keeper was busier (and pulled off better saves) than Pat Jennings.

Nonsense. Derry had all of one shot on target in the whole match, unless I missed one late on. While we weren't up to much either, we were the (marginally) better side.

UCD_4_Life
14/07/2003, 7:30 PM
Originally posted by John83
Nonsense. Derry had all of one shot on target in the whole match, unless I missed one late on. While we weren't up to much either, we were the (marginally) better side.

I can remember at least one Derry shot on target, a few off and there was one occasion where one of their players got clean through on goal aswell. I think he was tackled before he got the shot off but I'd still count that as a chance. There's a chance I could be wrong though because I was behind the net we were attacking for both halves of the match.

As far as we go, Cawley got clean through before hesitating, their keeper had to make a save off a Cawls free-kick, Tony Mac (I think) had a fairly tame shot after a corner and Pat McWalter forced a brilliant save off their keeper too.

John83
14/07/2003, 7:57 PM
I can remember at least one Derry shot on target, a few off and there was one occasion where one of their players got clean through on goal aswell. I think he was tackled before he got the shot off but I'd still count that as a chance.

He was off-side.

pineapple stu
15/07/2003, 12:44 PM
Turns out those Derry fans said to tell me that they dominated just to annoy me...they actually reckoned it was the other way around, i.e. they were very lucky to get out with a point. B@st@rds!:rolleyes:

Derry had a goal ruled out as well, according to some match reviews I read.

Schumi
15/07/2003, 12:52 PM
A few points:
1) B Ryan = Darragh Ryan

2) Austin O'Neill will probably be second choice from now on, it's hardly surprising that Andrews was dropped and O'Neill must have done enough against Bray to get ahead of him.

3) Derry fans were talking $hite, we were on top for most of the game (wouldn't say we deserved to win though), although it's possible that the guy couldn't understand them. :D

4) Rooney didn't do much but he hardly got the ball so I'll keep an open mind for the moment.

5) Derry had a goal disallowed (for offside I think).

The Donie Forde
15/07/2003, 2:22 PM
So, eh, who was/is Rooney? :confused:

Donie

Schumi
15/07/2003, 2:38 PM
Some English guy called Wayne or something. I think he's from Liverpool. ;)

WeAreRovers
15/07/2003, 2:49 PM
I had the misfortune to be in Belfield on Friday night. Without a doubt the worst game I've seen in years (although reports from Richmond weren't much better). Both sides lacked pace and creativity. UCD just about shaded it but I had lost the will to live after about 10 minutes.

One other point, a quote from the official programme - "While I openly loathe Shamrock Rovers..." Not good enough for an official publication. I have no problem with STIG slagging us but the programme should be above that.

Best of luck for the rest of the season. I still think you're in false position and at least Doolo has you playing football. As for Derry....words fail me!!!

KOH

Schumi
15/07/2003, 2:54 PM
Originally posted by WeAreRovers
One other point, a quote from the official programme - "While I openly loathe Shamrock Rovers..." Not good enough for an official publication. I have no problem with STIG slagging us but the programme should be above that.

Note - All articles contained in this programme are solicited on an individual basis and do not necessarily reflect the views of UCD AFC or its committee. And that is the (named) contributer's individual view.

WeAreRovers
15/07/2003, 3:08 PM
I wasn't actually going to sue. :) I just think it makes the club look petty and amateur.

KOH

Schumi
15/07/2003, 3:20 PM
No, I see your point. I just reckon that it makes the contributor look petty and amateur (which he may or may not be :D).

The Donie Forde
15/07/2003, 3:47 PM
So, any chance some UCD head actually knows what their player's name is...?:confused:

Donie

UCD_4_Life
15/07/2003, 4:10 PM
Originally posted by The Donie Forde
So, any chance some UCD head actually knows what their player's name is...?:confused:

Donie

:confused:

The Donie Forde
15/07/2003, 4:38 PM
:confused:

pineapple stu originaly wrote:

"Who???
Who are B Ryan and Rooney who played for us against Derry on Friday??? B Ryan came on for Ben Savage at half time, Rooney came on for Toy Mac with 20 minutes to go..."

AFAIK, nobody has produced a Christian name for young Mr Rooney so far...though maybe I missed it in the thread...

Donie

pineapple stu
15/07/2003, 4:43 PM
This sort of stuff is always happening with us - we pick up some random youth players and throw them into a match. One week you've never heard of them, the next week they're a regular. The likes of Cawley, Davey, Finn, Keating and others have all done this to us - no doubt Mr. Rooney will reveal himself to us in due course...

By the way, would have copped that B Ryan meant Darragh Ryan except that the Star had him down as an unused sub as well!

"While I openly loathe Shamrock Rovers..."
Jayz lads, I leave you with one page to fill and look what happens!:eek:

I always thought it'd be the fanzine's legal bit we'd be falling back on first...:D

Schumi
15/07/2003, 4:43 PM
I think it was Mark Rooney but I'm not certain.

UCD_4_Life
15/07/2003, 5:21 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
I think it was Mark Rooney but I'm not certain.

'Twas.

@ndy
17/07/2003, 11:07 AM
I had the misfortune to be in Belfield on Friday night. Without a doubt the worst game I've seen in years

Influenced by the below revelation me wonders?

Best of luck for the rest of the season. I still think you're in false position and at least Doolo has you playing football. As for Derry....words fail me!!!

KOH

Kev, Lads, eh...i'll let you take that one...

In fairness, that is a bit dodge alright....so eh, nice one :)

Dodge
17/07/2003, 11:22 AM
Hey, leave me out of it

Schumi
17/07/2003, 1:05 PM
Originally posted by @ndy
Kev, Lads, eh...i'll let you take that one...

In fairness, that is a bit dodge alright....so eh, nice one :) I'm sure its author will log on here at some stage.

Aberdonian Stu
18/07/2003, 3:59 PM
Christ you add a bit of colour to an article and you get slated for it, strangely enough comment pieces tend to be opinionated but this was clearly just an attempt to liven up a straight forward review of the Cup draw. And sure didn't I say the hoops would win as well (although you may have taken that as an insult seeing as I have an unfortunate tendency to jinx people in which case both UCD and Derry are screwed).

Sorry it took me so long to reply but was working nights and couldn't get into college to use the net.

pineapple stu
18/07/2003, 4:40 PM
Incidentally, I have to agree with WeAreRovers - those sort of comments is why we have a fanzine as well.

Speaking of the fanzine - any chance of you doing up your articles any time soon now you're dossing 24 hours a day...em...I mean...working nights???

pineapple stu
18/07/2003, 4:41 PM
Also, how come you keep using those headers? You can never see them at all!

Aberdonian Stu
19/07/2003, 12:41 PM
?

pineapple stu
19/07/2003, 1:47 PM
Interesting reading the Shels programme yesterday - one comment of "UCD bring nothing to the league" and a one-page article whingeing at our committee about not wanting to bring the club forward.

Certainly puts our programme's comment in the shade!

Éanna
19/07/2003, 1:52 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Interesting reading the Shels programme yesterday - one comment of "UCD bring nothing to the league" and a one-page article whingeing at our committee about not wanting to bring the club forward.
Shels think that abou everybody but themselves. "oh look at us, we're so great. We're all professional." Despite the fact that they have to set up idiotic friendlies in the middle of the season to pay their bills. wasters

pineapple stu
19/07/2003, 1:56 PM
There was a review of their most recent matches as well - the review of the Longford game said that for their first goal "the Longford defence's offside trap was sprung a fraction of a second too late". I didn't see the game, but by all accounts - even Pat Fenlon's - yer man was at least five yards offside when the ball was played. You'd think the programme'd have the grace to admit the fact if the manager can admit it.

They wrote off Longford's disallowed goal as well - offside and handball apparently. I'd say the Longford fans would have something else to say!

Schumi
19/07/2003, 6:25 PM
At least the Shels prgramme didn't decide that we had signed the entire Rovers squad!

John83
21/07/2003, 9:48 AM
Yeah, but it cost two and a half yoyos.

Schumi
21/07/2003, 12:38 PM
But I didn't buy it so that's OK!

John83
21/07/2003, 3:02 PM
But the principle man, oh please somebody think of the principle.