PDA

View Full Version : Next GUFC Manager?

Pages : [1] 2 3

GuisaSaigon
31/03/2008, 2:01 PM
Who do you want to see replace Cousins?
Rico seems to be the early frontrunner.
Pat Dolan has United connections, but would he quit his Setanta job? Is there a hairdresser in Galway that could handle his Afro? I doubt it.
Do you think we should be casting our net a little further?
Martin Keown is currently coaching Oxford University Blues and has Galway connections. (He knows where it is:D)
Seriously though there could be interested applicants outside the usual LOI managers.
Under no circumstances should we consider, Ski, Sean Connor or Roddy.

Billy Clery will someday be manager but I reckon it might be a bit early for him to take the job on a permanent basis.
It's going to take someone with experience to get us out of the hole cousins has dug.
Any ideas?

galwayhoop
31/03/2008, 2:29 PM
definitely needs to be an experienced manager. Not someone who is well able to make excuses. I'd go for Rico myself.

Tir Oilean
31/03/2008, 2:42 PM
Billy doesnt want the full time position anyway. The board have too much sense to even entertain Connors or Collins. Id say if its not Rico it'll be someone from the UK.

Mr A
31/03/2008, 2:49 PM
Felix Healy?

Tir Oilean
31/03/2008, 2:55 PM
Felix Healy?

Hegarty?:D

gloryglorygufc
31/03/2008, 3:01 PM
Who do you want to see replace Cousins?
Rico seems to be the early frontrunner.
Pat Dolan has United connections, but would he quit his Setanta job? Is there a hairdresser in Galway that could handle his Afro? I doubt it. Fat Tony??
Do you think we should be casting our net a little further?
Martin Keown is currently coaching Oxford University Blues and has Galway connections. (He knows where it is:D) Not sure i could support a gooner
Seriously though there could be interested applicants outside the usual LOI managers.
Under no circumstances should we consider, Ski, Sean Connor or Roddy.

It's going to take someone with experience to get us out of the hole cousins has dug.
Any ideas?
If Nick is spreading the net to the UK, plenty of selling points to prospective managers - Sanchez @ Sligo, Allardyce @ Limerick, McStay @ Sligo as well.
I don't care if they want to use us as a stepping stone for their careers in the UK, their success brings us success. Martin Allen anyone? Or what about Big Ron!!

Mr A
31/03/2008, 3:02 PM
Maybe- can you afford to pay out Cousins' deal and Hegarty's 3 year contract?

Terry
31/03/2008, 5:41 PM
Would be interesting to get keown, seeing as his parents are both Galwegians, and he does visit here every year.

Billy wont get it on a full time basis seeing as he hasnt got all the necessary qualifications.

Tony Mannion ? :D

gilberto_eire
31/03/2008, 5:49 PM
Felix Healy?

I don't care if it's ''Felix The Cat'' as long as he get's us results!!:)

Toddy_Burns
31/03/2008, 6:09 PM
Sean connors looking rougher than a homeless bum on mns, he'll work for ye for a fresh razorblade at this stage, and how i'd love it, he'd be perfect for ye in all fairness.

Sam_Heggy
31/03/2008, 6:15 PM
Tony Cousins deserves a second chance imo :p Failing that, it has to be Soddy Conman or I mean Roddy Collins.
Now to sort out Cobh, UCD, Bray and Sligos manager positions, just to be sure :cool:

DonO'Bate
31/03/2008, 6:23 PM
According to the 6.1 Sports News Utd have received 6 applications already. Here is my list of potential managers for what its worth

Richardson
Clery
Mourinho
John Gill
Stephen Henderson
Shoddy Collins
Disco Pants Connor

Tir Oilean
31/03/2008, 6:32 PM
Not a hope of any of them bar Rico Don! Actually Don O'Riordan for a dramatic return.....NOT!

gufcfan
31/03/2008, 6:34 PM
According to the 6.1 Sports News Utd have received 6 applications already. Here is my list of potential managers for what its worth

Richardson
Clery
Mourinho
John Gill
Stephen Henderson
Shoddy Collins
Disco Pants Connor

Add me to the list, I applied also.

A face
31/03/2008, 7:22 PM
Stephen Henderson

Are you sure he was mentioned?

Tir Oilean
31/03/2008, 7:24 PM
Official. Rico is definitely out of the running.

GuisaSaigon
31/03/2008, 8:08 PM
Official. Rico is definitely out of the running.

Source?

Mr A
31/03/2008, 8:14 PM
John Gill

God that would be class. Maxi would be a cert for Leeson's office at that stage!

Paddyfield
31/03/2008, 8:24 PM
Tony Mannion for the 4th time?

I can't help but feel that he'd do well with money. He never had a bob on any of his 4 previous stints with United.

Also, how old is Rico now? He must be well past sixty.

showgies
31/03/2008, 8:59 PM
Jeff Kenna was an applicant for the Rovers job before Cookie got it.........he could want a start in management

Red&White Rover
31/03/2008, 9:07 PM
I would laugh if Connor was to get it. Any money says he will...

Darren Mansaram and Harpal Singh next two signings for ye if he does!

clubman
31/03/2008, 9:28 PM
Sean Connor will be the new boss at Terryland..............

GuisaSaigon
31/03/2008, 9:30 PM
Please No!

Conor H
31/03/2008, 9:31 PM
Wouldn't mind Sean Connor myself.He has a proven track record on the field with the minnows and Derry.
There's enough integrity in GUFCto ensure he doesn't get up to any dodgy behaviour.
Rico would be another excellent appointment.

I think the key is to get someone with a proven track record.

Tir Oilean
31/03/2008, 9:48 PM
Jeff Kenna was an applicant for the Rovers job before Cookie got it.........he could want a start in management

No real experience. We need someone with management experience at a decent level. What Id give to see the list of applicants!

pixiehead
31/03/2008, 11:15 PM
Good news to get at 1 in the morning in New Zealand :D Has to be Rico!!!
Dolan would be nice but needs his Burger money. Patrick Dunne is keeping Quite :confused:

west awake
01/04/2008, 2:26 AM
couldn't possibly give it 2 tony mannion again,it all depends on the budget,what can they afford 2 give the new man in wages,there would be a bit of interest cross channel if the money's right if not,we could see a local like a jimmy nolan,ollie neary,ricky o flaherty,justin neary r even tom lally back,i don't think any of these appointments would work but if we have no money something like that will happen i.e the cheap option!

Terry-Lander
01/04/2008, 8:03 AM
All the 'local lads' you mention were great servants of the club but after having the guts to do what they did with TC , I would be disgusted if the board took the 'cheap' option. We need a leader and a motivator with a track record who can make mid table a comfortable reality.

No matter who it is we the suporters need to show our support. The new stand is great but it has killed the atmosphere. Any chance of section A moving?????????

eamo1
01/04/2008, 1:22 PM
A fellow poster passed on a comment that he heard last week and i agree with it.That if Tony Mannion was given the same budget T.C had we'd be in the top half of the table comfortably enough.
Im going for Rico,shame he wasnt on MNS last night so they could ask him but then thats probably why he wasnt on.
Steve Mc.Claren has been spotted in eyre sq this morning with a GUFC umbrella.(Now what date is it today,hmmm?????).

GuisaSaigon
01/04/2008, 1:29 PM
Keith Kelly in todays Sentinel on Rico

Speaking to Sentinel Sport yesterday,he said that while he didn't want to speak at length on the issue, he admitted he was enjoying his break from management and was in the process of moving back to Dublin, so the chances of him uprooting again so soon seem remote

Terry-Lander
01/04/2008, 4:23 PM
Since when did relocating to Galway become a necessity for managing the team?:rolleyes:

gilberto_eire
01/04/2008, 4:51 PM
Since when did relocating to Galway become a necessity for managing the team?:rolleyes:

When we went full-time and started training EVERY day, i'd be under the impression that would be hard to attend if your not living here!!:rolleyes:

Patrick Dunne
01/04/2008, 5:01 PM
Unless of course you have a physio who can take the training sessions for you.

Gaillimh Al
01/04/2008, 5:15 PM
Unless of course you have a physio who can take the training sessions for you.

Maybe the Rovers physio is available:)

west awake
01/04/2008, 11:31 PM
i hear stephen lally is back helping billy with the coaching,any truth in that?

Claret Murph
02/04/2008, 6:19 AM

NO TRUTH IN IT, YET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terry-Lander
02/04/2008, 9:12 AM
When we went full-time and started training EVERY day, i'd be under the impression that would be hard to attend if your not living here!!:rolleyes:

Guess my sarcasm was lost on you

gilberto_eire
02/04/2008, 12:14 PM
Guess my sarcasm was lost on you

well considering you have'nt posted much, i could'nt tell!

eamo1
02/04/2008, 12:46 PM
Fallon said in the Sentinel yesterday that in the 3 hours after it was announced they had recieved around a dozen applications.And in todays Galway Indo it says theyve had applications from Sweden,Switzerland aswell as the "home" countries.
I suppose if you think about it the club is a very attractive prospect right now.Great board in place,good stadium,good players(t.c didnt get the best out of them,i do think the squad is decent) and we are probably gonna be part of that new All-Ireland league in Setptember of next year so theres many selling points.
2 of my friends were seriously never gonna come again after witnessing last Saturdays sh**e.Now they really want to go to the league cup game next Tuesday just to finally see a different style of play:).

WoodquayBoy
02/04/2008, 1:15 PM

Yup, in an advisory role, And G is Billy's assistant!!

wonder88
02/04/2008, 5:21 PM
Is last seasons waterford manager G Cronin doing anything. Thought he did a good job. This squad need someone to whip them into shape. There is plenty of talent there already I think, lovely playing surface and ground, all there is needed is someone with the basic management and coaching qualities. Find a hungry young guy who is desperate to succed, or else get Tony Manion back. What we don't need is a "big name" manager, they don't work at this level.

forza rovers
02/04/2008, 6:37 PM

Richardson
Clery
Mourinho
John Gill
Stephen Henderson
Shoddy Collins
Disco Pants Connordisco pants connor:D:D

JC_GUFC
02/04/2008, 6:38 PM
Is last seasons waterford manager G Cronin doing anything. Thought he did a good job.

He's still manager of Waterford - I think 1 or 2000 Waterford fans would disagree with the job he did for them...

eamo1
02/04/2008, 10:21 PM
Leeson isnt gone to the U.K searching for a manager as someone said here.Was talking to him this evening in Dunnes,he looked shattered but was polite enough to stop for a minute.

gilberto_eire
02/04/2008, 10:35 PM
Leeson isnt gone to the U.K searching for a manager as someone said here.Was talking to him this evening in Dunnes,he looked shattered but was polite enough to stop for a minute.

I also saw him yesterday(the day after were told that)

Paddyfield
03/04/2008, 7:21 PM

Was he trying to sign the manager of Dunnes? :D

jimhacker
04/04/2008, 8:18 AM
Connor?????

What an inspired apointment that would be.

I'm sure Steve Bruce will put in a word for him.

Mr A
04/04/2008, 8:22 AM
Eddie May has appied for the job according to today's Indo. Meanwhile Pat Fenlon reckons his mate Cousins should not have been sacked.

Demoshield
04/04/2008, 9:50 AM
Pat Fenlon reckons his mate Cousins should not have been sacked.
The whole country were so impressed with the job TC did in Galway,I'm sure they are all fighting to sign him up. What would we know down here in the sticks, we only had to watch the crap week after week. Give him a job Pat if you think he's so good. Put up or shut up:D

GuisaSaigon
04/04/2008, 10:30 AM
The whole country were so impressed with the job TC did in Galway,I'm sure they are all fighting to sign him up. What would we know down here in the sticks, we only had to watch the crap week after week. Give him a job Pat if you think he's so good. Put up or shut up:D

Yeah i'm getting a bit sick of the media and all the managers coming out saying Cousins was hard done by. 99.9% of United fans agreed with the decision to let him go. Crap like " we didn't look out of place" doesn't work here anymore, we want someone with ambition, someone who wont blame bad results on geography.
Everyone was sick of Cousins lame excuses. He took the job, it was up to him to produce results, he failed miserably.
The next manager has to instil a bit of mental toughness after TC'S " sure we're doin alright for a crowd from de country" attitude:mad: