PDA

View Full Version : Good luck to the Youths

ForzaWexford
30/03/2008, 10:50 PM
As in the U18's. I just thought I'd open a thread to wish them best of look for the rest of the season. They're in the semi-final's of the two big U18 competitions - the FAI Youth Interleague Trophy and the FAI Youth Challenge Cup.

We beat Tippereary on penalties in the quarter final of the Interleague Trophy yesterday. This is technically a "county" team but all bar five of the squad are signed up to the club, and it's the one which Mick has been managing for years. This was on the league website about the game:

Wexford's under 18 team progressed to a semi final meeting with the Cork AUL with a narrow but deserved win (on penalties) over the Tipperary South League in Bansha on Saturday. Wexford were two down at the half time break, but a tremendous second half saw them edge ahead with goals from Dwayne Somers, Gareth Wallace and Danny Furlong, before an injury time goal from Tipp took the game into extra time. Two very evenly matched teams tried everything to get a decisive goal, but to no avail, and the game went to a penalty shoot out. Goalie Pa Doyle proved to be Wexford's hero as he saved Tipps first and fourth penalties with Wexford scoring their four to come through 4-2. It was a pity someone had to lose a game of real quality, but the holders showed character aplenty to come through such a serious test. It's sure to be a fascinating home semi final against a very highly rated Cork AUL side on April 20th.

And the final, whether we make it or not!, is to be played Saturday 10th May.

In the Youth Challenge Cup, we're away to Salthill Devon from Galway next weekend. The other semi is Dundalk FC v St. Pats. Hopefully we'll get a crack at one of the el sides, but Salthill are very strong seemingly. Final to be played Sunday 18th May.

Aswell as these two cups, it looks like we're also going to win the Wexford Youth League. I'm not going to harp on about that though because it's to be expected really, and perhaps a bit unfair on the other club sides in Wexford.

Topman
31/03/2008, 2:59 PM
South East FC (www.sefc.ie (http://www.sefc.ie)) played as a club team this season in the Carlow U17s and U18s leagues and also represented the Carlow and District Junior league in the U18s Youths Inter League.

A condition was put in place that South East FC could not win either the U17s or U18s divisions and were not allowed play in the U17s or U18s cups in Carlow (www.carlowsoccer.com (http://www.carlowsoccer.com))

Best of Luck to the Wexford U18s over the next few weeks:)

ForzaWexford
31/03/2008, 10:10 PM
Those conditions make sense. We didn't play in the cup either, wouldn't have had the time anyway I suppose. As well as the 3 competitions I mentioned above, we were also in the Leinster Youths Cup but got knocked out.

To be fair to Mick he doesn't play all his best players in the league. It's more of an U16 and U17 selection to give some of next years Youths a game. I'm sure All Blacks will feel hard done by though.

ForzaWexford
09/04/2008, 4:44 AM
Salthill Devon game is on Sunday 13th at 2pm, in Galway. Winner of this game has home advantage for the final.

Was just looking at Salthill's website there - they're in the semi-final's on the U13, 14, 15 and 18 competitions. A fair achievement.

oldyouth
09/04/2008, 8:46 AM
I've just had a look at the website myself. What a set up. Looks like a very well run outfit altogether.
We seem to have ridden our luck in the last few games but all the best to the young lads.

Topman
10/04/2008, 2:44 PM
Salthill Devon very well run club indeed, Quality facilities.
At the moment they are working closely with Coerver Coaching on programmes to further develope all players and coaches within their club up as far as their Eircom "A" divison side.

Wexford have plenty of experience going up there.

Best of luck to the lads

ForzaWexford
11/04/2008, 8:29 AM
They had 8 or 9 starting on the Galway team in the Interleague final last year aswell.

Shane Dempsey is suspended after getting sent off in the last round against Cork. He'll be missed in the middle of the park. The lads are heading up Saturday and staying over the night so should be fresh enough on the day anyway.

kopite
13/04/2008, 12:24 PM
the youths are hoping to start up an underage section,can't see us getting any backing from the other clubs in wexford.the theory behind it would be on a line similar to salthill,from 6yrs to LOI.

wexfordseagull
13/04/2008, 4:54 PM
CONGRATULATIONS to our u-18s for reaching the FAI YOUTH cup final after beating salthill devon 4-2 on pens after a 1-1 draw aet.we will play dundalk in the final in wexford.well done mick and the lads.

ForzaWexford
13/04/2008, 7:02 PM
Good stuff, went 1 nil down aswell. Forza Wexford!

Footsoldier
13/04/2008, 7:33 PM
Yeah. Great result for the lads. The final is on the 18th May in Ferrycarrig Park. Great! I'm home from Spain the day before!!!!!

oldyouth
14/04/2008, 8:34 AM
Well done lads. Plenty of practice with the penos between now and then:)

Footsoldier
14/04/2008, 9:11 AM
According to Mick on the radion last night, they have won 10 penalty shootouts and haven't lost any! We're just like England, only in reverse!!!!!

ForzaWexford
15/04/2008, 7:32 AM
Because I would rather do anything than study, here's the respective routes to the final.....

First Round
Wexford Youths 3 Southend United 0
Dundalk FC BYE

Second Round
Wexford Youths BYE
Dundalk FC 2 St. Kevin’s Boys 1

Third Round
Wexford Youths 2 Waterford Crystal 0
Dundalk FC 6 St Francis FC (Major 1) 1

Fourth Round
Wexford Youths 3 Villa FC 1
Dundalk FC 2 St. Mary’s Boys 0

Fifth Round
Wexford Youths 1 St. John’s 0
Dundalk FC 3 Finn Harps 1

Quarter Final
Wexford Youths 1 Cork City 1 (4-3 Pens)
Dundalk FC 1 Fairview Rangers 0

Semi Final
Wexford Youths 1 Salthill Devon 1 (4-2 Pens)
Dundalk FC 2 St. Pat’s 1

Fair play to the lads for getting this far, let's hope they can finish it off now. I wonder will it be Wexford in black and Dundalk white, or us pink and them black! It would really be a boost for the club if we can win this at the first attempt, most of the eL and DDSL sides enter a team...there was something like 170 clubs all together in the first round. It would probably be a bigger achievement to win this than the FAI Interleague, especially with the absence of an eL selection and the DDSL (I think) in the Interleague this year.

That's not to say it's not important though! Another big game next weekend in that semi-final, at home to Cork...

Youths4Ever
15/04/2008, 2:05 PM
well done to the lads on reaching the final.

Great to see that the future of the club looks to in good shape. Know some of the players will be lost through various reaons (good and bad) but basically two strong under 18 teams there at the moment.

holidaysong
15/04/2008, 2:19 PM
Is there a date set for the final yet?

passinginterest
15/04/2008, 2:24 PM
Is there a date set for the final yet?

Yeah. Great result for the lads. The final is on the 18th May in Ferrycarrig Park. Great! I'm home from Spain the day before!!!!!

There ya go.

warriorprincess
16/04/2008, 1:44 PM
Days don't get better than this! What a weekend for Wexford soccer! First Monaghan and then Salthill! Well done WYFC!

ForzaWexford
28/04/2008, 11:01 AM
Good 1-0 win against Cork in the interleague semi-final yesterday. Shane Dempsey scored a screamer after about 25 minutes. Waterford beat Donegal in the other semi-final. We're away in the final and I think it's on the weekend before the other one against Dundalk.

Forza Wexford!

warriorprincess
29/04/2008, 9:36 AM
FAI Youth Inter-League Championship 10th May 2008
Waterford District League vs Wexford & District League

FAI Youth Cup Final 18th May 2008
Wexford Youths FC vs Dundalk FC

Splurge
29/04/2008, 9:57 AM
FAI Youth Cup Final 18th May 2008
Wexford Youths FC vs Dundalk FC

is there a ko time for this one yet?

ForzaWexford
10/05/2008, 6:53 PM
We won the Interleague final today, beating Waterford 1-0 in Ozier Park! Shane Dempsey scored a header with about 20 mins to go. Surprising not to see it go to extra-time and penalties but I'm sure the lads aren't too disappointed!

Dundalk at home now next week in the Youth Cup final.

Forza Wexford!

Youths4Ever
10/05/2008, 7:10 PM
We won the Interleague final today, beating Waterford 1-0 in Ozier Park! Shane Dempsey scored a header with about 20 mins to go. Surprising not to see it go to extra-time and penalties but I'm sure the lads aren't too disappointed!

Dundalk at home now next week in the Youth Cup final.

Forza Wexford!

I am not trying to rain on a parade. Excellent performance today but Wexford Youths FC did not win today it was The Wexford Football League that Wallace first took over in 1991. It is important to remember that as some players involved today are not Wexford Youths FC players

This was the third time in four years then have won. First time in over 20 years the title has been won back to back. This win today was a lot longer in the making that Wexford Youths FC the eircom league have been around.

Well done to all those involved

oldyouth
10/05/2008, 9:51 PM
I am not trying to rain on a parade. Excellent performance today but Wexford Youths FC did not win today it was The Wexford Football League that Wallace first took over in 1991. It is important to remember that as some players involved today are not Wexford Youths FC players

This was the third time in four years then have won. First time in over 20 years the title has been won back to back. This win today was a lot longer in the making that Wexford Youths FC the eircom league have been around.

Well done to all those involved
Who picked the squad, picked the team, decided the tactics, gave the team talk, made the subs and did everything except drive the bus:confused:

Youths4Ever
10/05/2008, 10:05 PM
Who picked the squad, picked the team, decided the tactics, gave the team talk, made the subs and did everything except drive the bus:confused:

Wallace and I never said he didn't.

I was just pointing out that this achievement was much longer in the making that Wexford Youths FC as eircom league side and those players who involved with the squad and are not signed for Youths there parts should not be forgotten.

ForzaWexford
11/05/2008, 2:11 AM
Ah no he's right, the Wexford League just won the Youths Interleague trophy yet again. It's mostly down to Mick's hard work over the years of course but nothing much to do with Wexford Youths FC....

...apart from the fact that 9 of the starting 11, and some of the subs, are now Wexford Youths FC players. I'd say a year or two down the line it will be a case of "Wexford U18 team = Wexford Youths FC U18's" but not yet.

Anyway, hopefully the players involved today will go on to claim the club's first real piece of silverware next weekend, and lay some solid foundations for the U20 league next season. Thousand miles single step etc etc.

oldyouth
11/05/2008, 10:32 AM
Wallace and I never said he didn't.

I was just pointing out that this achievement was much longer in the making that Wexford Youths FC as eircom league side and those players who involved with the squad and are not signed for Youths there parts should not be forgotten.
Point taken, well done to all involved;)

dublin_owl
11/05/2008, 12:57 PM
Fair play to Mick and everybody involved. What a fantastic achievement. :ball:

And the very best of luck to them next weekend against Dundalk. My wife is from there and I'd love to get bragging rights! :)

Youths4Ever
11/05/2008, 2:11 PM
And the very best of luck to them next weekend against Dundalk. My wife is from there and I'd love to get bragging rights! :)

And we would love for you to have them as well

Red&White Rover
11/05/2008, 3:25 PM
I played against ye in the 5th round of the Youth Cup (St. Johns). Was surprised we actually only lost 1-0, but we played ok and had an understrength team too (I'm only U-16!). Ye deserved the win though.

Ye had one very good player up front, can't remember his name, but Wallace was saying afterwards how highly he rates him. Furlong was it?

Some set-up as well down there btw! A proper meal after the match, thank you very much!;)

Anyway, best of luck to ye in the final, hope ye win it!

Dunny
11/05/2008, 4:32 PM

Tough..:p

dublin_owl
11/05/2008, 5:19 PM
It's that air of over-confidence that'll be your undoing young man! ;)