PDA

View Full Version : Article re MNS in Tribune Sports TV review

paudie
30/03/2008, 7:55 PM
In todays Tribune PAt Nugent devotes his "On the Air column" to MNS. In summary he says it's really good. He gives it credit for being relaxed and not just copying Sky coverage.

He also gives the leadue credit for rebranding itself over the last few years with summer soccer etc.

Not sure if you can read it on the Tribune website.

fergalr
30/03/2008, 10:51 PM
So apart from the TV column, guess how many paragraphs there are about the LoI in the Tribune's 15 (fifteen) pages of sport?

Mr A
31/03/2008, 8:43 AM
None?

CJTheGull
31/03/2008, 9:02 AM
Look I like the Tribune - it's definitely the best Sunday newspaper out there (not that there's much competition in fairness) but in yesterday's paper and also in their excellent 'Mad About Sport' monthly magazine there is 0 amount of coverage of the League of Ireland.

Really.

Sad.

cheifo
31/03/2008, 9:25 AM
We really need to keep badgering these people with letters to let them know it does'nt go unnoticed.A sticky thread to monitor EL coverage in national media would be a good idea IMO.We could also use it to co-ordinate our efforts and assess response.

Jerry The Saint
31/03/2008, 9:54 AM
To be fair to the Tribune, they always run a couple of articles every year along the lines of "The Death of Irish Football", "On Its Last Legs" or "LOI: Who gives a crap? (I Don't)"

CharlesThompson
31/03/2008, 10:23 AM
To be fair to the Tribune, they always run a couple of articles every year along the lines of "The Death of Irish Football", "On Its Last Legs" or "LOI: Who gives a crap? (I Don't)"

I remember that they even had a hack in one of their sports pages - a couple of years ago admittedly - encouraging people NOT to support eL teams. That was the last day I bought the Tribune - good paper or not.

Mr_T
31/03/2008, 10:34 AM
Look I like the Tribune - it's definitely the best Sunday newspaper out there (not that there's much competition in fairness) but in yesterday's paper and also in their excellent 'Mad About Sport' monthly magazine there is 0 amount of coverage of the League of Ireland.

Really.

Sad.

100% agree re Tribune, only Sunday paper I can be bothered buying and every time I do I feel cheated by their pathetic lack of EL coverage. Pages and pages of Rugby and GAA yesterday, including almost a full page about the Schools Rugby, and half a page on Basket Ball.

They do a monthly "Mad About Sport" magazine, which while covering sports stories from all over the world never mentioned the LOI, until that isl somebody managed to get a letter published on their letters page giving out about the lack of coverage of domestic soccer. Next month a token article previewing the new season, focusing (nergatively) on club's finances, while lo and behold, letter of the week was a GAA fans hitting back at the LOI letter from the week before. This months magazine was out yesterday - not read it yet but I'd bet we don't exist again.

A decent Sunday has no excuse for not at least having a round up and comment piece on the previous Friday's matches. Get writing and e-mailing, I reckon!

Straightstory
31/03/2008, 10:43 AM
The Tribune is a loathsome rag in every way. Hateful, hateful newspaper. (And of course their lack of coverage of the LOI is a disgrace).

thischarmingman
31/03/2008, 11:05 AM
IFTHE eircom league turned up on The X Factor you just know that Simon Cowell would send them packing.

http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_scope=Tribune/Sport/Soccer&id=85950&SUBCAT=Tribune/Sport&SUBCATNAME=Sport

amaccann
31/03/2008, 12:19 PM
Yeah, my family have got the Tribune for years now (they're not bad, honestly); it never ceases to amaze me how it stubbornly ignores the LoI. It frequently manages to avoid even the most token of gestures. And with the inclusion of this monthly magazine, it further rubs it in. Pretty shameful stuff.

fergalr
31/03/2008, 12:48 PM
http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_scope=Tribune/Sport/Soccer&id=85950&SUBCAT=Tribune/Sport&SUBCATNAME=Sport

Its a really cheap snide piece of rubbish. To pull one sentence from the last paragraph: "there's far too many highlights of people humping shots into empty grass terracing".

I get the sense that that intern/journo of this piece was gaven a tape of the program. He watched the nice graphics and the chat on the couch parts but frantically pressed fast-forward anytime there was actual football on-screen.

To reach the editor of Sport, contact sport@tribune.ie

oldyouth
31/03/2008, 12:50 PM
I like the Tribune. I think it approaches topics impartially. Lousy coverage of LOI and no cartoon section for Cobh fans
Mad About Sport is a great supplement.

You can't get everything in any one paper I suppose

Sniffer
31/03/2008, 12:55 PM
I didn't see anything glaringly untrue in that piece, and I have certainly read a lot worse re. our league.

amaccann
31/03/2008, 1:04 PM
I like the Tribune. I think it approaches topics impartially. Lousy coverage of LOI and no cartoon section for Cobh fans
Mad About Sport is a great supplement.

You can't get everything in any one paper I suppose
Replace "lousy" with "utterly zero" and you've got a more accurate summation. Even the results and tables get feck all space.

gspain
31/03/2008, 1:07 PM
I haven't bought the Tribune for years because of their almost zero LoI coverage. It appears nothing has changed.

paudie
31/03/2008, 1:08 PM
Its a really cheap snide piece of rubbish. To pull one sentence from the last paragraph: "there's far too many highlights of people humping shots into empty grass terracing".
I get the sense that that intern/journo of this piece was gaven a tape of the program. He watched the nice graphics and the chat on the couch parts but frantically pressed fast-forward anytime there was actual football on-screen.

To reach the editor of Sport, contact sport@tribune.ie

The line about the grass terracing was silly all right (unless they showed a game from the RSC;))but overrall the tone of the tone of the article was positive.

Agree about the poor EL coverage in the Tribune generally. That's why I highlighted it. Shows the benefits of MNS.

Jerry The Saint
31/03/2008, 5:03 PM
It's not sexy or flash . . . there's far too many highlights of people humping

Sounds both sexy and flash to me :eek:

mattie
31/03/2008, 6:05 PM
The tribune see their target market as people who mainly like rugger and gah ball. they actually give very little coverage to the EPL either. My father gets it but i think its a bit hit and miss overall... off topic but there was a superb article on suicide bombers by robert fisk in it this week.

On the article in question, it was always going to have a slightly sarcastic tone as that column approaches everythin that way.

I actually thought it was encouragin to see a tribune writer pleasantly surprised by anything to do with the loi

KevB76
31/03/2008, 6:14 PM
Sunday Independant is equally guilty of ignorance of the domestic league. In its football round-up page in the sports section you get tables and results form all the main european leagues, all the english divisions right down to blue square, and scottish down to 3rd division and bizarrely nothing at all on our own league.
I find that absolutely incomprehensible that a popular irish sunday paper caters for a generous estimate of 12 exiled scottish people, but not for thousands of us. :confused:

DonO'Bate
31/03/2008, 11:00 PM
The tribune see their target market as people who mainly like rugger and gah ball. they actually give very little coverage to the EPL either. My father gets it but i think its a bit hit and miss overall... off topic but there was a superb article on suicide bombers by robert fisk in it this week.

On the article in question, it was always going to have a slightly sarcastic tone as that column approaches everythin that way.

I actually thought it was encouragin to see a tribune writer pleasantly surprised by anything to do with the loi

The last time the Tribune gave any decent coverage to the LOI was when Dunphy was their soccer correspondent. Remember his Chicken League match predictions and his fascintation with Gino Lawless's thighs. His next favourite target was then Irish boss Eoin Hand. Dunphy cut his journalistic teeth writing about the LOI and turned him into the well known media commentator he is today.

pete
31/03/2008, 11:33 PM
Used to buy the Tribune but gave up a couple of years ago. The sport section is quiet poor & while I watch rugby I don't want to read 5-6 pages of it every week. I now get the Sunday Times & I have accepted will be minimal LOI coverage. For LOI I would need a tabloid but I am not a tabloid reader.

amaccann
01/04/2008, 7:54 AM
Of course the Indo's no better; was just reading yesterdays & of course there was minimal coverage, apart from a side panel dedicated to one of the games (the Cork/Cobh one). It's discouraging when some mickeymouse trophy MK Dons are taking part in gets more newspaper space than the weekend's LoI action.

Jerry The Saint
01/04/2008, 10:23 AM
In its football round-up page in the sports section you get tables and results form all the main european leagues, all the english divisions right down to blue square, and scottish down to 3rd division and bizarrely nothing at all on our own league.

Another example of the typical laziness in Irish journalism. All these statistics are provided to them so require no effort to fill space in the paper. If you look for the GAA NFL/NHL tables, a lot of the time they won't give them - why? Because the GAA/Allianz isn't great at supplying them, so the newspaper would need to work them out for themselves - too much effort.

paudie
01/04/2008, 12:26 PM
Another example of the typical laziness in Irish journalism. All these statistics are provided to them so require no effort to fill space in the paper. If you look for the GAA NFL/NHL tables, a lot of the time they won't give them - why? Because the GAA/Allianz isn't great at supplying them, so the newspaper would need to work them out for themselves - too much effort.

Correct. No NFL tables in the Tribune on Sunday, which is bizarre, considering they give the Scottish 3rd Division table.

amaccann
01/04/2008, 1:25 PM
Correct. No NFL tables in the Tribune on Sunday, which is bizarre, considering they give the Scottish 3rd Division table.
Hey, some of us like to know how Stenhousemuir are doing as they read the Sunday rags ;)

Block G Raptor
01/04/2008, 1:28 PM
Hey, some of us like to know how Stenhousemuir are doing as they read the Sunday rags ;)
save yourself the cover price... it's Sunday... they Lost