PDA

View Full Version : Derry versus Linfield matches

London-Irish
30/03/2008, 6:41 PM
I see that Derry have played Linfield a few times in the Setanta in recent years. What has the atmosphere and crowd secnes been like at these games?

dcfcsteve
31/03/2008, 11:12 AM
Fine.

Big Derry crowd home and away - we had over 1,800 at Windsor earlier in March (more than linfield I believe).

Linfield's crowd is limited in the Brandywell due to capacity, and up until this year Linfield restricted tickets for their Windsor games against City to members.

Why do you ask ? It's not the 1970's, you know....

London-Irish
31/03/2008, 11:40 AM
Thanks. I was just interested as I was going to fly over to see one of the games a couple of years ago but then I thought it might not be safe to go. I am glad that things have moved on from the 1970's. So there was no hostile singing or chants or anything at the games?

OneRedArmy
31/03/2008, 11:46 AM
So there was no hostile singing or chants or anything at the games?Not enough to merit anyone not going IMHO.

Anyway, "hostile" is a fairly subjective thing. Some people maybe offending by GSTQ, others couldn't give a monkies. Likewise for many other chants.

I think its fair to say Derry fans are more concerned with beating them on the return to the Brandywell after the humiliation in Windsor.

It really is about the football.

Steve Bruce
31/03/2008, 11:49 AM
Not enough to merit anyone not going IMHO.

Anyway, "hostile" is a fairly subjective thing. Some people maybe offending by GSTQ, others couldn't give a monkies. Likewise for many other chants.

I think its fair to say Derry fans are more concerned with beating them on the return to the Brandywell after the humiliation in Windsor.

It really is about the football.

I would say the rivalry between the two clubs is a healthy rivalry and has very little/nothing to do with religious/political make up of the two clubs/supports.

I enjoy our games vs DCFC as there is a good atmosphere. Normally the game is very well supported although Linfields crowd at Windsor was exceptionally poor. Which is suprising but fortunately not common.