PDA

View Full Version : Professionals 0 Part-times 2

Pages : [1] 2

Paddyfield
29/03/2008, 8:47 PM
United lost to Shamrock Rovers 2 - 0 in Terryland. The team was full of passengers. Leech was pi$$ poor & Deegan was dodgy. The only players who tried hard were the local lads (Rusler, Keano and Faherty) plus the honorary local, O'Brien. Only 1625 were at the game, many of whom left with 15 minutes left on the clock. The ball was hoofed and hoofed all night.

Big dissapointment.

foxx92
29/03/2008, 9:03 PM
of the 1625 who turned up how many were rovers supporters? 200? Charging 20euro to see s*** like that it was dreadful!

gilberto_eire
29/03/2008, 9:37 PM
of the 1625 who turned up how many were rovers supporters? 200? Charging 20euro to see s*** like that it was dreadful!

Look the price of the game has nothing to do with it, it's the price we have to charge to be competitive.

Don't mean to sound big-headed but this is what i was pointing out near enough this time last year. Say we keep TC and we do avoid the drop, what happens next year?, does anyone really think he will be able to take us to where we want to go?!, not a hope he has to go the sooner the better. And if i hear any ''your so negative'' crap i'll lose the head, Galway is in my heart he's only here for a pay-check so it's time to quit that **** in fairness. He's the worst manager we've had in a long time, good at buying players but is'nt able to organise a team at all!!

The sooner the board move on this the better, i can see us having 1 point and 1 goal going into the Sligo game!!:mad:

blackholesun
29/03/2008, 9:44 PM
As a Rovers fan 20 is stiff I think and will deter non hard core supporters from rambling along.

Very poor crowd it would seem, in the first div there were big crowds for the Rovers games?

This PT v FT nonense seems to have you all duped. Some of the Rovers players work and train as do some of the Galway players. GUFC playup the full time thing and it seems to work against them while Scully plays it down to SRFCs advantage all the time just like tonight!

bhs

avvenalaf
29/03/2008, 10:41 PM
The sooner the board move on this the better, i can see us having 1 point and 1 goal going into the Sligo game!!:mad:[/QUOTE]

I can see you having the same coming out of it.:D

deecay
29/03/2008, 10:43 PM
Murphy get abuse?

foxx92
29/03/2008, 10:49 PM
Murphy get abuse?

not relly he went into the wrong dugout when subsituded fans had a laugh about it

Terry
29/03/2008, 10:51 PM
Very poor crowd it would seem, in the first div there were big crowds for the Rovers games?

bhs

just goes to show what a lot of GUFC supporters always say, friday night is terryland night, plus, rubbish hoofball doesnt help either!

GalwayTillIDye
30/03/2008, 4:03 AM
Well if the game was on last night then you'd have had about 500, with the Connacht v Munster game in competition (5.3K attendance)...

A couple of good results pretty sharpish will turn things around though...

Patrick Dunne
30/03/2008, 10:09 AM
1,625 is not a poor crowd, although it is well down on last years average.

There'll be way less than 1,625 in attendance when we play Rovers in Tolka.

Square Heir
30/03/2008, 12:26 PM
I would say the fact that 5k people were standing in the P*ssing rain and freezing cold in the sportsground on friday nigth was a big factor on the attendence in Terryland. 5 people that were supposed to come to the match with me all backed out because the weather was so wet and cold on saturday again.

corbyeire
30/03/2008, 2:49 PM
apart from 3 moves involving russell it was all hoof ball

leech looks good if the ball is to feet - but completely useless otherwise

faherty looked the better of the 2 last night

hoofball again for another season

rovers had about 4 good moves on the break and scored twice - clinical

no one looking for the ball for utd and all players guilty of too many touches

and my old gripe derek o brien - beat 2 players cant cross - player of the season your having a laugh

Tir Oilean
30/03/2008, 4:07 PM
your having a laugh

Top six finish:rolleyes:

Paddyfield
30/03/2008, 7:39 PM
MATCH REPORT FROM www.eircomloi.ie

Galway United 0 Shamrock Rovers 2

Shamrock Rovers were far too classy for a depleted Galway United at Terryland Park.

The revitalised Dessie Baker was a central protagonist in this stylish win as the Hoops maintained their unbeaten start to the season.

Baker stroked Rovers into an 18th minute lead and provided the assist for skipper Stephen Rice with a thoughtful flick just before the hour mark.

With Eoin Doyle prominent on the right flank Rovers made a positive start and rattled the Galway net in the first quarter.
Barry Murphy’s long punt was glanced on by Baker and Doyle gathered possession. As the Galway defence retreated the ball spilled kindly for Baker, who steered a neat finish past Gary Rogers.

Galway had fashioned an opportunity themselves minutes earlier, but Murphy made a smashing fingertip save to thwart Vinny Faherty. Before the break Alan Murphy spurned a gilt edged opportunity when scampering clear after Ollie Fenn slipped, but Rogers denied by the Hoop.

Rogers was powerless to prevent the Rovers second goal in the 58th minute as Baker returned to centre stage. Baker’s subtle touch located Rice, who battered home a delightful strike to delight the typically passionate travelling support.

Thereafter Galway were forced to battle as Rovers confidently closed the deal to move within two points of table toppers St Patrick’s Athletic.

Galway United: Rogers; Nootimer, Charles (Conneely, 25), Fenn, McCulloch (Keane, 61); Russell, Foley (Cunningham, 61), Deegan, O’Brien; Leech, Faherty.

Shamrock Rovers: B Murphy; O’Brien, Maguire, Ferguson, D O’Connor; Doyle (Martin, 70), Rice, McGill, S O’Connor (Creevey, 85); A Murphy (Purcell, 56), Baker.

Referee: D McKeon (Dublin)

Terry-Lander
30/03/2008, 8:47 PM
Iv'e been going to Terryland since 1977 supporting United (then Rovers) and I don't think there has ever been as much money invested in what appears to be a good squad of players. Last night was probably the worst night Iv'e seen in Terryland...........and there have been many bad ones. I started going with my father and now bring my own kids but I'm not sure I can subject them to the level of utter sh!t that was displayed last night. Of the starting 11 only Russell and O'Fla showed any pride and put in any effort. Keane when he came on showed the same pride.
Should Cousins go before we are relegated?????????

Terry-Lander
30/03/2008, 8:55 PM
Iv'e been going to Terryland since 1977 supporting United (then Rovers) and I don't think there has ever been as much money invested in what appears to be a good squad of players. Last night was probably the worst night Iv'e seen in Terryland...........and there have been many bad ones. I started going with my father and now bring my own kids but I'm not sure I can subject them to the level of utter sh!t that was displayed last night. Of the starting 11 only Russell and O'Fla showed any pride and put in any effort. Keane when he came on showed the same pride.
Should Cousins go before we are relegated?????????

Sorry..typo obviously

west awake
30/03/2008, 11:16 PM
is there even any need 2 comment,1 deflected goal in 4 games,absolute horse manure,cousins has 2 go and bring most of the s**t with him.20euro 2 see this crap and i taught the gaa were thiefs!

Gaillimh Al
30/03/2008, 11:53 PM
What really annoyed me the last night was the amount of people who got up and left well before the final whistle. It disgusts me. If you're going to make the effort to go up in the first place, at least stay until the end. Have these people paid their entrance fee as supporters or as casual observers who demand entertainment?
No matter how bad it was, the team deserves support and is affected by the crowd and it's behaviour.

eamo1
30/03/2008, 11:53 PM
The only thing that made me smile last night was seeing murphy going to the utd dugout and then realising it,classic(hope its shown on MNS tomrrow night):).
Qs have to be asked about the fitness trainer too,hes been there a couple of months now and the injury list is getting bigger,coincidence????
Russell reminded me of Bobby Ryan last night,especially when given the free role near the end.
Derek o/Brien looked knackered AGAIN with around with 20 mins to go,professional standard fitness????
At least there was some variety last night as instead of long straight balls down the middle there were long straight balls to the corner flags:(.
Foley looked so lost in there.
Cousins OUT,i might say it to leeson next time i see him in Boylesports,he cant afford to wait till july etc.
Also,Connacht owe us a favour,they get a capacity crowd for their big game while we move ours to a saturday night and its our lowest crowd in recent times.I like someone else here had a friend who got pi**ed wet on friday night in the sportsground and had a cold sat so couldnt go,the lucky guy:).

Terry-Lander
31/03/2008, 7:35 AM
No matter how bad it was, the team deserves support and is affected by the crowd and it's behaviour.

Ah Hello........The crowd is also affected by the team's behaviour. Unfortunately there was no TEAM concept just a group of individuals, few of whom showed any committment or pride. I'm not surprised or disgusted that the stand was nearly empty with 10 mins left. If Cousins doesn't start getting the best from these players the stand will be empty from kick off in the not too distant future. There will always be a few of us die-hards but a club can't be successful with a couple of hundred suporters.

galwayhoop
31/03/2008, 9:52 AM
The Club has set the standards by telling us that we have to pay in order to compete with the big boys.
Had the club not put forward all the talk about challenging at the top end of the table then the first 4 games could be put down to a tough opening run of fixtures. If we had been told how it is (i.e. that we will do well to avoid relegation) instead of how we were going to be contenders then perhaps the start to the season would be tolerated.
But because the club told us we were top six material, that full time football would make us competitive, that the increase in price was to allow us to get better players, well this hasn't happened and I am afraid that Tony Cousins has to go. Perhaps in time he will prove to be a good manager somewhere but at this moment in time I think that we are going backwards on the pitch - and fast.
Next week in Drogheda and then Cork at home will be massive for Cousins. If we lose both then it will be the end I reckon. I mean no-one here is being unduly harsh on TC but it isn't as if we have been unlucky in games, we have just been sh1te.

Tir Oilean
31/03/2008, 10:05 AM
The board are doing a great job at the club and were good enough to give TC a start in the world of management. However, he is not of the quality to be able to lead a team into the top six at this stage of his management career. Its time to bite the bullet and pay the price for a good manager. In hindsight I think thats what should have been done at the start rather than signing loads of unknown quantities on full time contracts.

GuisaSaigon
31/03/2008, 10:44 AM
Next week in Drogheda and then Cork at home will be massive for Cousins. If we lose both then it will be the end I reckon.
Agree 100% I dont think we can let this go on much longer than that. I personally cant see us getting a single point from those two games. If that is what happens we need to act and install a competent replacement ASAP.

passinginterest
31/03/2008, 10:56 AM
Agree 100% I dont think we can let this go on much longer than that. I personally cant see us getting a single point from those two games. If that is what happens we need to act and install a competent replacement ASAP.

Would Damien Richardson not be the perfect candidate? Good track record, available at the moment, intelligent, capable of getting a team playing good football.

GuisaSaigon
31/03/2008, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't mind a Rico/Billy Clery management team. It would depend on Rico's wage demands though.

GuisaSaigon
31/03/2008, 11:21 AM
They must have been reading Cousins sacked http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/squad/statement.html

Martinho II
31/03/2008, 8:52 PM
I was at your game sat night lads..

I was shocked at bad ye were compared to last season.. ye have gone backwards since I was last up there when ye bet us two one last season.. there was no substance to your delivery and I think it was a mistake to let alan murphy leave...

thought there would have being a bigger crowd and I wasnt at all impressed to pay twenty euros for a stand ticket.. very disappointed in gary deegan as well... I saw his stamp on mns tonight on stephen rice and I can vouch that deego never did this sort of carry on when he was with us.. i was very disappointed when he left us to join ye... dessie baker was a revelation forrovers and this is his best season goalswise since his first season with us when he got 15 goals..

think tony cousins was very harshly treated.. read the piece on him in the match program didnt realise he commuted a couple of times by train... If he is a full time mgr why the hell did he not live in Galway full time as what Alan Matthews does.. found that very strange..

all of a sudden I sense a major shock in the league cup tom week... Iarlaith Davoren has being a revelation since he joined us... nice to see he got a mention in your match program...you never know in the cup..

Paddyfield
31/03/2008, 9:02 PM
think tony cousins was very harshly treated.. read the piece on him in the match program didnt realise he commuted a couple of times by train... If he is a full time mgr why the hell did he not live in Galway full time as what Alan Matthews does.. found that very strange..

I really don't believe that he was harshly treated. I heard that he was given a target for his first 4 games which he didn't achieve. I'm sure that he will get a few quid compensation.

Tir Oilean
31/03/2008, 9:23 PM
I was at your game sat night lads..

I was shocked at bad ye were compared to last season.. ye have gone backwards since I was last up there when ye bet us two one last season.. there was no substance to your delivery and I think it was a mistake to let alan murphy leave...

thought there would have being a bigger crowd and I wasnt at all impressed to pay twenty euros for a stand ticket.. very disappointed in gary deegan as well... I saw his stamp on mns tonight on stephen rice and I can vouch that deego never did this sort of carry on when he was with us.. i was very disappointed when he left us to join ye... dessie baker was a revelation forrovers and this is his best season goalswise since his first season with us when he got 15 goals..

all of a sudden I sense a major shock in the league cup tom week... Iarlaith Davoren has being a revelation since he joined us... nice to see he got a mention in your match program...you never know in the cup..

Hi Martinho II If you saw all the above in just one game how do you think we felt after watching it week in week out?. Given a fair crack at management yes, treated harshly definitely not.

Martinho II
31/03/2008, 9:31 PM
Hi Martinho II If you saw all the above in just one game how do you think we felt after watching it week in week out?. Given a fair crack at management yes, treated harshly definitely not.

true just suprised at the timing... but galway utd board seem to mean business now...

Conor H
31/03/2008, 9:37 PM
true just suprised at the timing... but galway utd board seem to mean business now...

We have a 5 year plan with objectives and targets.
There was no evidence that TC was competent enough to deliver so we acted.Proffesionalism at its finest.

Terry
31/03/2008, 9:48 PM
we were expecting an improvement from the poor season last year, but things were going backwards and we as supporters deserve more for the money we are forking out.

clubman
31/03/2008, 9:57 PM
There was no evidence that TC was competent enough to deliver so we acted.Proffesionalism at its finest.

Wow! A five year plan and you sack your manager after four games lol.
What next in your five year minus four week plan?
Bring in a new manager who will be expected to work with the same bunch of players that Cousins by your admission couldn't do anything with.
Maybe you should be looking at your board first because that's where the real problems lay.

Terry
31/03/2008, 10:01 PM
no offense clubman, but you obviously havent a clue.

Conor H
31/03/2008, 10:23 PM
Wow! A five year plan and you sack your manager after four games lol.
What next in your five year minus four week plan?
Bring in a new manager who will be expected to work with the same bunch of players that Cousins by your admission couldn't do anything with.
Maybe you should be looking at your board first because that's where the real problems lay.

Terry is spot on.
No point of argueing with someone who has absoloutely no idea whatsover what he's talking about.

GalwayTillIDye
01/04/2008, 12:11 AM

If only Connacht Rugby would take notice now....:(

Gaillimh Al
01/04/2008, 10:01 AM
Just one thing I spotted and it has relevance to the title of this thread.

I was one of the first people on the ground on Saturday, before 6, and in one half of the field Rovers had a large number of cones lined up and balls in place for their warm up routine. Out they came at 6.05 and got straight into it.
In the home end there was nothing. No structure set up or system in place. Gough ambled out around quarter past with a bag of balls and the team followed around 6.20.
Who's the professionals and who are the part-timers?
Hopefully the new regime will sort this out.

corbyeire
01/04/2008, 10:15 PM
good point al

mypost
05/04/2008, 3:40 AM
There was no evidence that TC was competent enough to deliver so we acted.

All very well, but without Cousins in charge, you may still have been a part time club stuck in the first division.

Sacking a boss with 29 league games remaining is madness. Over 70% of those polled on rte.ie thought it to be the wrong decision.

Tir Oilean
05/04/2008, 9:57 AM
All very well, but without Cousins in charge, you may still have been a part time club stuck in the first division.

Sacking a boss with 29 league games remaining is madness. Over 70% of those polled on rte.ie thought it to be the wrong decision.

Without Cousins we'd still be parttime in the 1st Div? Are you forgetting why were in the premier? there was plenty of talk about it when we were invited to join the new League It was the professionalism of the Board of Directors that got us "promoted" not Tony Cousins. Any Jackass could have kept us up last season. It is my reckoning that 100% of the 70% polled in rtes poll were not in Terryland for every game for the last 2 seasons. The mistake was letting him survive past the 2nd last game of last season.

JC_GUFC
05/04/2008, 9:59 AM
I wonder if they did a poll of the 70% how many of them would actually be Galway United fans....

I was one of the few on here who didn't think Cousins did too bad a job but I'm not particularly upset that he was sacked and I don't think it will have any adverse effect on where we end up this season.

Had Rovers not hired Showoddy-Roddy you could be reigning champions rather than mid-table mediocrity, losing your derby with no fight at all.

geezer
05/04/2008, 10:35 AM
im 30 years supporting GUFC and its amazing ive found only 1 person all week who regularly attends matches at Terryland that thought he should have stayed over 35 others that i chatted with all agreed he was ****e

Tir Oilean
05/04/2008, 10:39 AM
Geezer thats the only poll that matters. I dont think these other supporters would stand for what we had to either.

Demoshield
05/04/2008, 11:11 AM

With all due respects 99.9% of people that voted on RTE poll haven’t got a clue about anything concerning GUFC.
Having watched Galway since 1977 some of the performances over the last couple of season have compared with the worst sh!t I ever witnessed in LoI football, and some of it has been bad.
The board had the plan in place to go full time long before TC was appointed.
Tony Cousins did not get GUFC promoted. The board & our shiny DVD got us an invitation to join the new league. Don’t you remember!! I think it was mentioned some where before about that.
Tony Cousins on MNS whinging & telling half truths didn’t fool anyone in Galway. We’ve heard the same crap after every dismal performance since he came here. It was the weather, the ref, the pitch, we were unlucky Vinny should have headed the ball down!!! It a sad manager that would blame a 20 year old in the media.
We though performances couldn’t get any worse than last year but TC proved us all wrong on that one.
99% of GUFC fans thought he should have been sacked as soon as we were safe last season, and were ****ed at the board for giving him another chance.
The team that started against Rovers on 29/03/08 contained 11 players of TC’s senior first team squad. To whinge that he had so many missing is a joke. He signed them all. The board did not tell him to sign anybody.

The following is TC’S record since he joined GUFC, there may be some little errors, apologies if there are but I think it is fairly accurate.

Year P W D L PTS %
2006 25 15 6 4 51 68.00%

2006: Finished third in a three horse race.
11pts & +15 Goals ahead of fourth, Cobh. 22pts + 42 goals ahead of fifth, Limerick.
Took 3/6 pts Vs Rovers (1st) & 1/9 Vs Dundalk (2nd)

Year P W D L PTS %
2007 33 7 14 12 35 35.35%
2008 04 00 01 03 01 8.33%
Total 37 7 15 15 36 32.43%

2007 FAI CUP 2 0 1 1
Draw & Replay in first round Vs Harps. 2 up in first leg at home.

2007 League Cup 2 1 0 1
Won 4-2 Vs Monaghan. Lost 2-1 Vs Derry

That speaks louder than anything anyone can say.
If that’s his CV then good luck to anyone who wants to give him a job.
So would you be happy if Rovers sack Scully and give the job to your hero Cousins?

Demoshield
05/04/2008, 11:20 AM
This will be my last comment on Tony “Spoofer” Cousins. We have better thing to be devoting our energies to. Just ****es me off the amount of his crap appearing, unchallenged in the media all week.
Onward and upwards, GUFC !!

A turkey was chatting with a bull. "I would love to be able to get to the
top of that tree," sighed the turkey, "but I haven't got the energy."
"Well, why don't you nibble on some of my droppings?" replied the bull.
They're packed with nutrients."
The turkey pecked at a lump of dung, and found it actually gave him enough
strength to reach the lowest branch of the tree. The next day, after
eating some more dung, he reached the second branch. Finally after a
fourth night, the turkey was proudly perched at the top of the tree.
He was promptly spotted by a farmer, who shot him out of the tree.

Moral of the story:
Bull**** might get you to the top, but it won't keep you there..

Tir Oilean
05/04/2008, 11:41 AM
2nd last post took alot of effort Demoshield but it was worth it!

The last one rings so true.

Terry
05/04/2008, 11:43 AM
The last one rings so true.

Why, are you a turkey too Tir Oilean ! :D

gilberto_eire
05/04/2008, 12:37 PM
Why, are you a turkey too Tir Oilean ! :D

No...he's a trigger happy farmer!!:D

sadloserkid
05/04/2008, 1:46 PM

Without wishing to be accused of stirring up a hornets nest or reminded that I 'follow a first division club so haven't a clue etc etc' I would disagree to a certain point with this. There was no evidence that Tony Cousins was anything other than a spoofer by the time last season wound down to a close. If the GUFC board were the ambitious visionaries they're being painted as here they would have taken the really brave step of replacing Cousins before the season starts. With three going down the last four games of Cousins reign could still prove pivotal in where Galway wind up next season before even considering that it may take a few games for the team to settle under Clery and again once a new man is appointed full-time. Cousin's sacking was inevitable but tbh it seems to me that it was overdue and I wouldn't be handing out any prizes to the board. The horse may not be out of sight but it has definitely bolted.

mypost
06/04/2008, 5:03 AM
I wonder if they did a poll of the 70% how many of them would actually be Galway United fans....

Had Rovers not hired Showoddy-Roddy you could be reigning champions rather than mid-table mediocrity, losing your derby with no fight at all.

What relevance Rovers' boss is to the discussion remains a mystery to me :confused:, but for what it's worth, Collins was fired with one game remaining in the season, whereas you sacked yours after less than a month gone. :confused: And as for the mid-table jibe, we're above it, and I think you'd settle to be in mid-table right now.

Maybe you expect to win the league though, as it would be the only justifiable reason why you would sack a boss at this time.