PDA

View Full Version : Dog licence

Jamjar
28/03/2008, 5:56 PM
Can anyone tell me why a dog, who is a family pet needs a licence ?

noby
28/03/2008, 6:01 PM
It's the law.

Jamjar
28/03/2008, 6:06 PM
It's the law.

So why don't I need a licence for a hamster ?

GavinZac
28/03/2008, 6:44 PM
So why don't I need a licence for a hamster ?

Hamsters cant disturb, threaten, maim, kill or even just litter. Dogs can.

Some People who keep large animals in an urban setting are idiots. Licensing laws should be tighter.

max power
28/03/2008, 6:56 PM
Hamsters cant disturb, threaten, maim, kill or even just litter. Dogs can.

People who keep large animals in an urban setting are idiots.

What a narrow minded general statement to make. We have 3 dogs, live in a town and why are we idiots ???

GavinZac
28/03/2008, 7:02 PM
What a narrow minded general statement to make. We have 3 dogs, live in a town and why are we idiots ???

Ask your neighbours.

Fine, "are idiots" is a bit strong. But damn it, shut them the hell up, keep them away from my car and maybe, just maybe, have some consideration for the fact that they are animals and probably hate staring at 4 walls as much as any human would.

Paddyfield
28/03/2008, 7:07 PM
I don't have dogs but my next door neighbour does.

Does that make my neighbour an idiot?

max power
28/03/2008, 7:46 PM
Ask your neighbours.

Fine, "are idiots" is a bit strong. But damn it, shut them the hell up, keep them away from my car and maybe, just maybe, have some consideration for the fact that they are animals and probably hate staring at 4 walls as much as any human would.

is that your neighbours or are you making a rather general statement again. My dogs make no more noise than the local children and get more fresh air than a lot of the members on these boards sitting in front of their computers all day.

Ok some people don't treat animals right or have respect for their neighbours but not everyone.

Mr A
28/03/2008, 7:52 PM
Never mind dogs, people should need to get licenses before they have children.

max power
28/03/2008, 7:54 PM

Great post, agree 100% !!!

GavinZac
28/03/2008, 7:55 PM

Definitely true.

And no provisionals! :D

jebus
28/03/2008, 8:14 PM
Ask your neighbours.

How about you keep your car away from my dog? I think people who live in cities who own cars 'are idiots'

GavinZac
28/03/2008, 8:20 PM
How about you keep your car away from my dog? I think people who live in cities who own cars 'are idiots'

For any specific reason or is it just a coincidence it overlaps with the 70% of people you don't like anyway? :)

jebus
28/03/2008, 8:24 PM
For any specific reason or is it just a coincidence it overlaps with the 70% of people you don't like anyway? :)

There's no need for people who live in cities to own cars, with the amount of traffic it would take off the road public transport in the city would be perfect for people to get around, there would be less traffic and noise pollution, less anger issues among the masses, people would be healthier for cycling/walking, and if you did need a car for a weekender you could rent one out like quite a few people in Dublin do

pete
28/03/2008, 9:12 PM
Are certain breeds of dog banned?

It would make more sense if you needed a dog owner licence. That way irresponsible people could be banned from owning a dog.

In my apartment complex dogs are banned. It is quiet surprising how easy to ban things, like mini Republic.

gilberto_eire
28/03/2008, 9:15 PM

It would make more sense if you needed a dog owner licence. That way irresponsible people could be banned from owning a dog.

In my apartment complex gods are banned. It is quiet surprising how easy to ban things, like mini Republic.

That's not very christian :D

beautifulrock
28/03/2008, 9:17 PM

In my apartment complex gods are banned. It is quiet surprising how easy to ban things, like mini Republic.

The New Ireland eh Pete :cool:

pete
28/03/2008, 9:24 PM
That's not very christian :D

That would be a text book dyslexic sentence?

Freudian slip but does give me an idea :D

Lionel Ritchie
28/03/2008, 10:13 PM
I think a lot of Irish people have a crappy attitude to owning all manner of pets -but particularly Dogs and cats. They see it as a right rather than a responsibility.

I have a three year old I can't let run around his own front garden coz some cnut up the road lets his fcuking mutt roam around and he uses my garden as a toileting spot. I swear his dog's being sent home with a spear through it one of these days and ISPCA et al can suck 'em.

max power
28/03/2008, 10:30 PM
I think a lot of Irish people have a crappy attitude to owning all manner of pets -but particularly Dogs and cats. They see it as a right rather than a responsibility.

I have a three year old I can't let run around his own front garden coz some cnut up the road lets his fcuking mutt roam around and he uses my garden as a toileting spot. I swear his dog's being sent home with a spear through it one of these days and ISPCA et al can suck 'em.

Thats on comment on your neighbourhood and not on all dog owners. How about i say i go to Limerick and the 1st person i meet will stab me:rolleyes:

Lim till i die
29/03/2008, 11:58 AM
How about i say i go to Limerick and the 1st person i meet will stab me:rolleyes:

This has come up quite a lot in the last few weeks on foot.

We have been merrily machine-gunning and blowing one another up down here for at least the last ten to fifteen years.

Yet people still persist with the "Stab City" angle??

Knife Crime is soooooooo Italia 90 people

EDIT: On the dog licence thing it's basically another pointless rip off tax the government catches people with, ala the TV licence. Very, very few people actually bother paying it mind you.

Dodge
29/03/2008, 12:01 PM
I believe the cool kids are using knives in an ironic fashion LTID? Complete with retro Iralia 90 stickers?

osarusan
29/03/2008, 12:07 PM
I believe the cool kids are using knives in an ironic fashion LTID? Complete with retro Iralia 90 stickers?

Damn right!

Just look at the influence I've had since I got here!

http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/us-sailor-admits-to-stabbing-2-women

http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/man-held-over-stabbing-spree-told-mother-of-plans-in-email

http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/3-killed-3-injured-in-family-dispute-in-tokyo

Lim till i die
29/03/2008, 12:12 PM

I was never one of the cool kids :o

anto1208
29/03/2008, 12:16 PM
I would like to think the fee (only around 12 euro btw ) goes to help fund the dog warden etc.

I think you should have to apply for the licence and if you get it then you can get a dog some people just shouldnt have animals. say if you live in a city with no garden then getting a labrador shouldnt be aloud.

A dog in a house that barks at people snooping around your house is a far more effective deterant than an alarm.

John83
29/03/2008, 3:26 PM

What does this have to do with an annual tax on dog owners? Are you getting compensated from the proceeds?

My dad keeps a dog, walks it twice a day, feeds it, inoculates it, lets it roam the back garden - bringing it in when it starts barking. It's a family pet, carefully looked after, bothering no-one except. Why does he have to pay an annual fee for this?

I can only assume that it's for the same reason I have to pay for the right to own an ATM card. Bloody stealth taxes.

Dodge
29/03/2008, 3:29 PM
Bloody stealth taxes.
Nothing stealth about the ATM ones. clearly marked as taxes

Presume the dog license pays for admin on some sort of dog database. Not really sure how it'd help but there are worse examples of stoopid taxes

John83
29/03/2008, 3:36 PM
Nothing stealth about the ATM ones. clearly marked as taxes

Presume the dog license pays for admin on some sort of dog database. Not really sure how it'd help but there are worse examples of stoopid taxes
What dog database? They can't even tell if you've paid the licence. A younger brother answered the door to an inspector a couple of years ago, and we were issued a fine because he didn't know where the licence was kept. My dad had to get a solicitor involved to get them council to acknowledge that maybe they were being a bit thick. If there was some kind of database in play, they wouldn't have had to call.

As far as I can tell, it's make-work for the inspectors.

EDIT: On ATM taxes, granted it's not what economists mean by a stealth tax, but it is on of those new, pointless taxes that have let the government lower income tax rates for political reasons without actually benefiting anyone.

Dodge
29/03/2008, 3:39 PM
What dog database?
I presumed incorrectly so... Stupid playing Devils Advocate...

EDIT: On ATM taxes, granted it's not what economists mean by a stealth tax, but it is on of those new, pointless taxes that have let the government lower income tax rates for political reasons without actually benefiting anyone.

Not that new either...

John83
29/03/2008, 3:42 PM
Not that new either...
It was in McCreevey's last budget, if memory serves. Not all that long ago in the grand scheme of things.

Dodge
29/03/2008, 3:46 PM
It was in McCreevey's last budget, if memory serves. Not all that long ago in the grand scheme of things.
He upped it. It was £10, then he made it €20

osarusan
29/03/2008, 4:19 PM
in the grand scheme of things.

How can you be so sure such a scheme even exists?

Lionel Ritchie
30/03/2008, 3:41 PM
Thats on comment on your neighbourhood and not on all dog owners. How about i say i go to Limerick and the 1st person i meet will stab me:rolleyes:

I don't contest it's a problem with my neighbourhood but it's far from unique or specific to it. I see the same problem of people not knowing where their pets are in rural areas and provincial towns.

I see dog **** on the streets of the some of the most affluent areas of this city. I see gobshltes who come into our public parks with their well groomed, licenced, inocculated, probably medically insured pets and getting them to crap on the verges, under the trees and on the playing fields that people are then supposed to play upon.

My dad keeps a dog, walks it twice a day, feeds it, inoculates it, lets it roam the back garden - bringing it in when it starts barking. It's a family pet, carefully looked after, bothering no-one except. Why does he have to pay an annual fee for this? Good for him. Provided he doesn't do what I described above. I would hope his licence fee is spent at least in part rounding up strays.

inexile
30/03/2008, 5:10 PM
[QUOTE=jebus;908169]There's no need for people who live in cities to own cars, with the amount of traffic it would take off the road public transport in the city would be perfect for people to get around, there would be less traffic and noise pollution, less anger issues among the masses, people would be healthier for cycling/walking, and if you did need a car for a weekender you could rent one out like quite a few people in Dublin do[/Q

completely wrong, what about people working shift work?

John83
31/03/2008, 1:27 PM
...I see dog **** on the streets of the some of the most affluent areas of this city. I see gobshltes who come into our public parks with their well groomed, licenced, inocculated, probably medically insured pets and getting them to crap on the verges, under the trees and on the playing fields that people are then supposed to play upon.

Good for him. Provided he doesn't do what I described above. I would hope his licence fee is spent at least in part rounding up strays.
He brings a small gardening tool and a plastic bag when he walks the dog. And even though he doesn't leave dog **** lying around, he wouldn't let the dog soil a pitch or playground in the first place.

Why should he pay for rounding up strays? He has nothing to do with them. Imagine a tax on children to pay for state orphanages!? It's nonsense. If strays are a big problem, microchip every dog in the country, and fine the owners of strays heavily. If dogs fouling parks is a problem, have more litter wardens, and fine those caught heavily. Stop making people pay on the presumption of wrongdoing. It's absolutely unfair.

Wolfie
31/03/2008, 1:45 PM
. If strays are a big problem, microchip every dog in the country, and fine the owners of strays heavily.

Chineese Takeaways have been dealing with the stray dog population quite effectively for years................