PDA

View Full Version : Where are they now?

Pages : [1] 2

Paddyfield
27/03/2008, 9:57 PM
Ronan Seery? Ex Dublin City supremo.

Stepehen Geoghegan? Almost became Shels manager. Is he managing now?

Don O'Riordan? Last heard he was in Far East.

Dave Tilson? High profile Bohs striker who loved the media.

Any others???

cornerflag
27/03/2008, 10:03 PM
id like to know what gary haylock is up to these days

Kildare Lad
27/03/2008, 10:08 PM
Robbie Shields, James Igwilo? (ex Kildare County players)

TheBoss
27/03/2008, 10:19 PM
Robbie Shields

I think I remember seeing him as a Cherry Orchard player

sligoman
27/03/2008, 10:24 PM
O'Riordan works for Sheffield United. Something to do with their underage teams afaik, was based in China.

GavinZac
27/03/2008, 10:29 PM
If anyone remembers Dominic Iorfa who did the rounds of the munster clubs that'd be interesting to find out what became of him.

Also our record signing outfielder Jimmy Mulligan is a guy I havent seen for years.

And thats before going into the long list of journeymen Dolan brought in.

Carlin
27/03/2008, 10:29 PM

Managing W.F.T.A. in the AUL Premier A in Dublin and a good job he is doing too.

Dave Tilson? High profile Bohs striker who loved the media.

The great Tillo is Head of Treasury at Bank of Ireland.

Red4Eva
27/03/2008, 10:31 PM
Don O'Riordan? Last heard he was in Far East.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chengdu_Blades

part of their youth set up

eelmonster
27/03/2008, 10:42 PM
Dundalk behemoth, Brian Byrne, gangly winger and goal scorer extraordinaire - where is he now?

sligoman
27/03/2008, 10:46 PM
Ian Wexler seems to have gone missing too, none of the Longford fans know where he is.

pineapple stu
27/03/2008, 11:36 PM
If anyone remembers Dominic Iorfa who did the rounds of the munster clubs that'd be interesting to find out what became of him.
Wikipedia knows all (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Iorfa) (or at least, I'm not going to contradict it).

GavinZac
27/03/2008, 11:52 PM
Wikipedia knows all (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominic_Iorfa) (or at least, I'm not going to contradict it).

:eek: according to wikipedia, his clubs in 1998 were:

Hong Kong Rangers
Cork City F.C.
St. Albans City F.C.
Dover Athletic
Purfleet F.C.
Aylesbury United F.C. (loan)
Billericay Town
Southend United
Waterford United

LeixlipRed
27/03/2008, 11:56 PM
Ian Wexler seems to have gone missing too, none of the Longford fans know where he is.

Well he was pretty muck. Maybe he couldn't get anyone to take him on

Longfordian
27/03/2008, 11:59 PM
He's gone back to the home of the brave and the land of the free. We don't like to talk about it... He'd be alright in the First though in all fairness.

Blue-Army
28/03/2008, 2:19 AM
What happened to Ger McLaughlin and Paul Rudden?

Ringo
28/03/2008, 5:41 AM

http://worldsportspromotions.com/

Still in the promotions business, just not throwing the money in a big pit now:).

Ash
28/03/2008, 7:20 AM

Carphone Warehouse :p

Also our record signing outfielder Jimmy Mulligan is a guy I havent seen for years.

Is that the former Sligo Rovers player? I always thought he could have got
a gig as a Christy Moore lookalike.

noby
28/03/2008, 7:48 AM
:eek: according to wikipedia, his clubs in 1998 were:

Hong Kong Rangers
Cork City F.C.
St. Albans City F.C.
Dover Athletic
Purfleet F.C.
Aylesbury United F.C. (loan)
Billericay Town
Southend United
Waterford United

I thought he was with us more than a year, or at least it felt that way.
He was/is a legend, but this pretty much sums him up:

Renowned for his electric pace but less than stunning control

Edit: Ha! I just followed through the link to the Waterford United Wiki page:

Waterford United is an football club playing in the Football League of Ireland[citation needed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)]

Do they not believe us?

seand
28/03/2008, 8:43 AM

Haylock went back to England and played for Basingstoke, Sutton, Walton and Hersham, and Yeading. He was moving into coaching.

HarpsinDublin
28/03/2008, 8:58 AM
Carphone Warehouse :p

Is that the former Sligo Rovers player? I always thought he could have got
a gig as a Christy Moore lookalike.

AFAIK Jamesy is back living in his native Dublin.

snookerloopy
28/03/2008, 9:05 AM
Haylock went back to England and played for Basingstoke, Sutton, Walton and Hersham, and Yeading. He was moving into coaching.

manager of hayes and yeading atm

Footsoldier
28/03/2008, 9:09 AM
Ashley Stephenson played in goal for Kilkenny City in the mid 90's. Ex schoolboy international for England (same team as Alan Shearer). I haven't seen or heard anything about him in about 10 years.

stann
28/03/2008, 12:21 PM
Ashley Stephenson played in goal for Kilkenny City in the mid 90's. Ex schoolboy international for England (same team as Alan Shearer). I haven't seen or heard anything about him in about 10 years.

Retired due to a horror injury some years back when with Kilkenny, possibly the last time they were in the premier, and never played again as far as I know (there was a legal case about compensation) though he did coach locally with Ferrybank, for a couple of years maybe. Worked for a long time in a well known mens' outfitters locally but has just recently branched out and opened his own mens shop I'm told.

Coincidentally, Bluebeard was on our own site just recently wondering what has become of Wayne Russell. Any ideas?

Footsoldier
28/03/2008, 12:43 PM
That's sad about Ashley.

Wayne Russell is playing with Ross Celtic, AFAIK. He could also be seen at the Youths matches, warming up the keepers beforehand. Haven't seen him this year.

eamoss
28/03/2008, 1:04 PM
manager of hayes and yeading atm

http://www.hyufc.net/squad1.html

Cabs88
28/03/2008, 3:47 PM

Always see him on the phone outside the skylon in drumcondra QUOTE]

[QUOTE=eelmonster;907203]Dundalk behemoth, Brian Byrne, gangly winger and goal scorer extraordinaire - where is he now?

Used to lay with Longford, was always behind prunty and barrett in the pecking order, but scored a few goals for us when he did get playing

He's gone back to the home of the brave and the land of the free. We don't like to talk about it... He'd be alright in the First though in all fairness.

He was technically alrite, but had no strength and poor decision making..He did score a great diving header down in the showgrounds though...

Paddyfield
28/03/2008, 4:20 PM
Just thought of 2 other LOI players who had names similar to that of 2 England internationals

Aaaron Shearer played up front for the Mons

Wayne Cooney played for Rovers (+ Dundalk too, I think)

rambler14
28/03/2008, 11:26 PM
What about that guy who was with Bohs and is now on Dream Team. Jimmy .......?

What ever came of Stephen Geoghegan's brother Declan?

Whats Mbazi Livingstone up to nowadays?

pineapple stu
29/03/2008, 1:25 AM
Babaz is playing in the V League in Vietnam, last I heard.

Edit: Ha! I just followed through the link to the Waterford United Wiki page:
I prefer this bit -

The club was founded and elected to the league in 1930 and hails from Waterford[citation needed].

LeixlipRed
29/03/2008, 2:05 AM

Still works for Irish Rail. Mostly seen on the Maynooth line. Manned the station in leixlip for years. Also frequently seen in Tolka at Shels games

Blue Man
29/03/2008, 2:40 AM
Last I heard Declan was managing Shelbourne under 16s. Along with the job with Irish Rail

lim abroad
29/03/2008, 6:31 PM

was he the black keeper?

inexile
29/03/2008, 7:24 PM
what about ken de mange?

Blue-Army
29/03/2008, 7:46 PM
What happened to Ger McLaughlin and Paul Rudden?
anyone?

Raheny Red
30/03/2008, 5:00 PM
Last I heard Declan was managing Shelbourne under 16s. Along with the job with Irish Rail

Last I heard too.

The Man Himself
30/03/2008, 5:15 PM

he was in paddy cullens half an hour ago :rolleyes:

HarpoJoyce
30/03/2008, 5:16 PM
was he the black keeper?

Maybe a thread about old stars will help to put other nonsense to rest.

Lev Yashin of the Soviet Union (Old/New/Other) is the only keeper, I know, in black.

If the question quoted above relates to the players skin colour. Maybe the questionnaire with little information (ignorant) can read previous posts. Or can state that it was skin colour they were identifying the player by and no other way. Not talent, not anecdote, nor footballing strategy.

Identifying footballers by the colour of their skin is ignorant. Football supporters can call 'the ignorants' on it every time.

inexile
30/03/2008, 5:20 PM
dont be so sensitive harpo, what would you prefer? was he the keeper who wasn't white?

Martinho II
30/03/2008, 5:28 PM
What about that guy who was with Bohs and is now on Dream Team. Jimmy .......?

jimmy aggrey... dont know?

TheBoss
30/03/2008, 5:33 PM

I think he is playing in Singapore.

HarpoJoyce
30/03/2008, 5:59 PM
dont be so sensitive harpo, what would you prefer? was he the keeper who wasn't white?
No, don't describe footballers on the colour of their skin. Which yourself and lim aboard wish to normalise.

Your own question about the Ireland longevity legend Ken de Mange
http://www.chilternwhites.co.uk/merchandise.htm
Book : Where Are They Now (Summer 2005)

Where Are They Now? Life After Leeds United is now available at www.leedswherearetheynow.co.uk.
"It's quite hard to comprehend that ex-Leeds players, many who were stars, are now basically doing some quite ordinary and even mundane jobs....
It recalls all those players you may have seen play for Leeds and possibly forgotten about. Who remembers Ken De Mange ? (now a baggage handler at Heathrow by the way). "

Review by Mark Walsh

pineapple stu
30/03/2008, 6:10 PM
In fairness, was he black? If so, describe him as black. That's not racist; it's just fact.

Why label him as "the keeper"? Don't describe footballers by their position. It's every bit as discriminatory.

HarpoJoyce
30/03/2008, 6:38 PM
In fairness, was he black? If so, describe him as black. That's not racist; it's just fact.

Why label him as "the keeper"? Don't describe footballers by their position. It's every bit as discriminatory.

You are the only person to use the 'R' word. As someone who abuses the institutions of Irish Football, institutions that attempt to protect individuals.
Why do you attempt to identify players by the colour of their skin?

Again I will repeat, football supporters who identify players by the colour of their skin are 'ignorant'. Once you have information regarding, position, number, style of play, era, team, height, foot etc. Use those identifiable marks. 'cos colour of skin is used in an abusive manner, once a supporter has other information to identify a player, use that information.

This is off-topic post, I was replying to an 'ignorant' post from above. My other posts on this thread remained on topic.

pineapple stu
30/03/2008, 6:41 PM
Once you have information regarding, position, number, style of play, era, team, height, foot etc. Use those identifiable marks. 'cos colour of skin is used in an abusive manner
Why not use skin colour as an identifiable mark? Do you not think it's a fairly striking mark? It wasn't used in an abusive manner here, so there's no problems and it's certainly not ignorant. You're just being ridiculously over-sensitive.

HarpoJoyce
30/03/2008, 7:00 PM
Why not use skin colour as an identifiable mark? Do you not think it's a fairly striking mark? It wasn't used in an abusive manner here, so there's no problems and it's certainly not ignorant. You're just being ridiculously over-sensitive.

It's very unfair , I have to re-quote what I posted previously. "'cos colour of skin is used in an abusive manner, once a supporter has other information to identify a player, use that information."

Supporters lose entitlements when there are abusive. Guess what? Supporters have been abusive in the past, they lose the mature right to describe a footballer by the colour of his skin. Tough Luck.

On Topic.
shamrock rovers used to abscond with the best of the LoI from UCD.
Paul Cullen
Gary O'Sullivan
Jason Sherlock (UCD protected him through a busy time. shamrocks took him hoping to benefit but gave him a 'sabbatical' of only a year to an RTE xtreme sports programme 1997.)
Barry Ryan (he was out of football while with shamrocks, thank god someone at Pat's brought him back in.)

pól-dcfc
30/03/2008, 7:05 PM
You are the only person to use the 'R' word. As someone who abuses the institutions of Irish Football, institutions that attempt to protect individuals.
Why do you attempt to identify players by the colour of their skin?

Again I will repeat, football supporters who identify players by the colour of their skin are 'ignorant'. Once you have information regarding, position, number, style of play, era, team, height, foot etc. Use those identifiable marks. 'cos colour of skin is used in an abusive manner, once a supporter has other information to identify a player, use that information.

This is off-topic post, I was replying to an 'ignorant' post from above. My other posts on this thread remained on topic.

You're being ridiculous. There aren't many black players in the league, so a player's colour is an easy way to identify him. It's noty racist or offensive. If I was playing in the Jamaican team it'd be perfectly reasonable for fans to refer to me as the white boy - as happened during the last World Cup with Birchall playing for T&T.

PC gone mad I tells ya.

GavinZac
30/03/2008, 7:24 PM
It's very unfair , I have to re-quote what I posted previously. "'cos colour of skin is used in an abusive manner, once a supporter has other information to identify a player, use that information."

Supporters lose entitlements when there are abusive. Guess what? Supporters have been abusive in the past, they lose the mature right to describe a footballer by the colour of his skin. Tough Luck.
Peter Crouch gets stick for being tall. Are we allowed to call players 'tall'? Andy Reid doesn't have your typical athlete's body. Are we allowed to call the fella for the pub team down the road 'fat'?

If someone is black, or white, they're black, or white, or a bit of both, and its rather childish to suggest that it is somehow racist to recognise someone's ethnicity. Its when you start assigning attributes or behaviours to an ethnicity that the problem starts; case in point, Ron Atkinson.

pineapple stu
30/03/2008, 8:21 PM
The whole point of the initial query was that there wasn't any further information. :rolleyes:

Supporters lose entitlements when there are abusive.
You might be finding out soon enough...

HarpoJoyce
30/03/2008, 9:50 PM
It doesn't suprise me that the posters most exercised about straight forward comments refuse to read previous posts properly and ask silly questions when the answer is already presented in previous posts. No suprise that some of the replies are from well established posters who believe they can write what they like without censure.

More on Topic:
Where is Zac Hackett of Longford Town (Abbeycarton) now?
did he ever make to Flancare Stadium?

Dodge
30/03/2008, 9:51 PM
I think he is playing in Singapore.
Vietnam was the last I heard