PDA

View Full Version : Spillane

Counting Crow
12/07/2003, 10:05 PM
On the BRB tonight Spillane gave his weekly bit if footballing wisdom when he said City's season would be more or less over if they loose to $hell$ on Friday week in the Cup.
His sreason for saying this was that we were now 7 points behind them in the League and Rovers had some games in hand on everyone else.

Let's think about this for a while:

OK.

- We're in clear second place - yes 7 points behind but $hell$ dropped points last night - they did not storm further ahead by 3 points.
- We have a game in hand on $hell$ which could bring us to within 4 points.
- We have to play them 3 more times in the League.
- The League has only just moved into the second quarter of games.
- Rovers have games in hand but one of those is at The Cross!!!!!!
- Rovers will have to play a significant number of games in a short space of time soon due to their European venture ( as will $hell$ )

- We have Flynny!

How he could think it would be all over is beyond belief. He must be one depressing individual to go out with for a few pints.

Spillane is some muppet. It really is hard to take him seriously anymore.

pete
13/07/2003, 10:58 AM
At least i can't accidently come across Spillanges wisdom on the dubland airways.

:rolleyes:

Not many people would think we are going to win the lague anyway. Staying in the ujnt for the league title as long as possible + European qualification would be a good season.

Our defence is certainly much better this season which probably makes us a good cup team - while not winning much away from home we do seem hard to beat.

patsh
13/07/2003, 11:17 AM
Well Spillage has rarely if ever made a sensible statement about City.
However, we do have 2 very important games coming in an 8 day period.
Waterford will be really up for this game, probably more so than City, and, coming on the back of that shocker against Bohs, will give 200% to get a win.
We really should beat them if we want to stay in contention for a Euro place.
If we do lose to $hels, I'd reckon the more fickle fans will lose a bit of interest.
Now I'm not saying that the season is over if we lose the 2 games, but 2 losses will certainly put a serious dampener on the season, and it will take an excellent run of league form to get things back on track.
2 wins however, would put such a different complexion on things.

pete
13/07/2003, 11:42 AM
I don't think a week can kill any teams season. Been said many times before but it really is true that a couple of wins on the trot can move a team up the table significantly.

Waterford should be happy for a good start to the season as gives them a head start on Derry, Drogs & Longford but they gradually slipping down towards them. In the next few weeks will be a significant gap in the league. I'd be surprised if the uefa & toto cup places weren't decided in the last couple of weeks of the season.

The dublin teams have local derbies for them to lose points in so city have to make sure they don't lose more points in their Munster derby. For a team thats conceeded so many goals Wateford have not left in many from city this year.

Cityace
13/07/2003, 11:54 AM
The games rovers have in hand are as follows;

UCD-probably will win.(the scum that is.)

Bohs-Possible Draw or nil points for the scum.

City- The way things are going, with the goalscorers opening up we should hammer them. not that we shouldn't hammer them anyway but there is always something that goes wrong this season, Refs......

Rebel101
13/07/2003, 9:44 PM
I don't think it's clear yet who will win the league. I don't think Shels-will their players have a habit of getting sent off and crucial players wil be missing for crucial games.
Pats-I would hate for them to win the league specially after the uneccary digs Eamon Collins has aimed at Pat Dolan.
Bohs-have had a very very bad start and this will and is going against em.
Scum-Aren't gonna win the league their squad are not strong enough and will probably be aiming for an inter-toto place.
Then there's us it is possible but not likely Pat is well on his way tho to building a championship winning side

@ndy
13/07/2003, 10:30 PM
I'd put my money on Bohs at this stage.

Trax
14/07/2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by oddboy

Waterford will be really up for this game, probably more so than City, What makes you say that?? I'd say the lads will be delighted they're only going down the road instead of halfway around the country.Cant imagine they wouldnt be well up for it!

Rebel101
16/07/2003, 12:28 AM
I don't think it's a questio of City being up for it. It's weather they'll be able for it what with Pat having them training from 6-10 each night.

Ruairi
16/07/2003, 8:05 AM
Noel's a legend, leave him alone