PDA

View Full Version : Question on the complications of registering birth

Block G Raptor
27/03/2008, 3:37 PM
hope someone can help me out here. My Partner is separated legally and her ex-husband is out of the country and basically out of touch. we've recently had a child together and want the child to have my surname if poss or at least a double-barrelled surname comprising her maiden name and my name. she's been on to citizens advice and apparently they've told her that she needs written permission from her ex-husband to register the child at all !! is this correct or is there some way around this? as obviously the ex cant be contacted and I certainly do not want my son to have his name

gilberto_eire
27/03/2008, 3:59 PM
WFT!!:eek:

That's scandalous if true, what has it got to do with an ex?!.

Block G Raptor
27/03/2008, 4:02 PM
Thats exactly my reaction but apparently because she is married and legally has his name then apparently the child must also have his name. I feel an application the the European court of civil rights coming on because my son is not going to be given a romanian's surname if I can do anything about it

Dodge
27/03/2008, 4:03 PM
http://www.groireland.ie/registering_a_birth.htm

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/birth-family-relationships/after-your-baby-is-born/registering_birth_your_baby

The following information is recorded in the Register of Births:

Surname. Since October 1997, a surname for the baby is registered when the birth is being registered. The surname registered must be the surname of the father or mother or both. If you want your child to have a surname other than the surname of the father or mother or both, then an application must be made to the Registrar General or a Superintendent Registrar in writing.

Block G Raptor
27/03/2008, 4:07 PM
Thanks Dodge. I think thats where the confusion came in.I think the girl in C.A.B. took her up wrong as in that her husband was the father and she wanted to register the Child in her maiden name

anto1208
27/03/2008, 4:13 PM
Doesnt it say the kid can have either the father or mothers name your the father ! whats there problem ?

This country is so retarded in these matters the single fathers have no rights to there kids is mental.

Dodge
27/03/2008, 4:42 PM
This country is so retarded in these matters the single fathers have no rights to there kids is mental.
Thats nothing go to do with the little Raptor...

Block G Raptor
27/03/2008, 4:51 PM
Doesnt it say the kid can have either the father or mothers name your the father ! whats there problem ?

I agree Anto but I've been incredibly fortunate in my dealings with the family law courts over my daughter. I have won my case on the 2 occasions I've been before them and found the Judge very sympathetic towards a fathers "rights" (I use quotation marks here to emphasise moral rights as much as legal)

Dodge I've done some more digging and apparently it appears now that my first assumption was correct. The Mother OR father bit only stands up if the Mother is A: Married to the Father or B:Not Married. If the Mother is Married by default the Husband is named father unless where he has specifically instructed it to be otherwise in writing

Jamjar
27/03/2008, 7:40 PM
This is from the website of the General register office which to me suggests you should have no difficulty with Raptor jnr. having your name....

A surname as entered in the Register of Births in respect of each child when his/her birth is being registered – this was not the case prior to 1/10/1997. The surname of the child recorded in the Register of Births must be either the surname of the father or mother or of both (as shown in the Register) or any other surname that is requested by the parents and an tArd Chláraitheoir (the Registrar-General) or a Superintendent Registrar is satisfied the circumstances so warrant the entry of this surname. The surname of a child may be recorded subject to any necessary linguistic modifications (e.g. Irish or English version of a surname).

More here http://www.groireland.ie/registering_a_birth.htm#Section%201:%20Birth%20Reg istration%20and%20personal%20Names:

paul_oshea
27/03/2008, 9:46 PM

its not just "this" country anto, the eternal optimist.

GavinZac
27/03/2008, 9:54 PM
out of pure curiosity, what would the romanian name be?

paul_oshea
27/03/2008, 9:56 PM
Timofte.

Block G Raptor
28/03/2008, 8:03 AM
Ghita

Pike B
28/03/2008, 8:03 AM
Timofte.
Not a joking matter pal.. Be nice.

paul_oshea
28/03/2008, 8:46 AM
Not a joking matter pal.. Be nice.

Pike, I wasn't joking about the issue at hand.

Block G Raptor
28/03/2008, 9:02 AM
Don't worry POS no offence intended nor taken

paul_oshea
28/03/2008, 9:11 AM
cheers BGR and good luck I hope it all works out for you.

As for the other, part well, it is none of my business, but some people form their opinions ( on certain aspects of everything ) based on these experiences, anyway off topic.

Wolfie
28/03/2008, 10:10 AM
I agree Anto but I've been incredibly fortunate in my dealings with the family law courts over my daughter. I have won my case on the 2 occasions I've been before them and found the Judge very sympathetic towards a fathers "rights" (I use quotation marks here to emphasise moral rights as much as legal)

Dodge I've done some more digging and apparently it appears now that my first assumption was correct. The Mother OR father bit only stands up if the Mother is A: Married to the Father or B:Not Married. If the Mother is Married by default the Husband is named father unless where he has specifically instructed it to be otherwise in writing

Genuinely hope you manage to resolve the situation, Block.

On a lighter note, imagine fighting a long campaign contending that the child has no connection to the surname Ghita and winning the case. On the steps of the courthouse you declare to all and sundry "From this day on, my son will be called "Block G Raptor Junior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :)

paul_oshea
28/03/2008, 10:14 AM
Genuinely hope you manage to resolve the situation, Block.

On a lighter note, imagine fighting a long campaign contending that the child has no connection to the surname Ghita and winning the case. On the steps of the courthouse you declare to all and sundry "From this day on, my son will be called "Block G Raptor Junior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :)

I doubt thats his real name Wolfie :rolleyes:

:p

Pike B
28/03/2008, 10:29 AM
Pike, I wasn't joking about the issue at hand.
Heh live and let live buddy. I'm a lover not a fighter.. Peace..

And ya good luck on that Block G Raptor..

Wolfie
28/03/2008, 10:30 AM
I doubt thats his real name Wolfie :rolleyes:

So are you saying that everyones username on Foot.ie isn't their REAL name? :eek: :confused:

Dr Ogba possibly isn't a doctor? Bluebeard isn't a pirate with indeed a blue beard? Jamjar isn't a condiment for containing Jam? Lionel Richie doesn't really post on here?

Can't believe it Paul - if that is indeed your real name.

paul_oshea
28/03/2008, 10:32 AM
So are you saying that everyones username on Foot.ie isn't their REAL name? :eek: :confused:

Dr Ogba possibly isn't a doctor? Bluebeard isn't a pirate with indeed a blue beard? Jamjar isn't a condiment for containing Jam? Lionel Richie doesn't really post on here?

Can't believe it Paul - if that is indeed your real name.

Woflie I was joking. did ye not see the :p

Wolfie
28/03/2008, 10:33 AM
Woflie I was joking. did ye not see the :p

So am I !! :)

lofty9
29/03/2008, 4:57 PM
I posted this on the youtube thread, but I reckon it will be more apt here... a good wind up to an annoyed father trying to get his name on his child's birth cert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bfBPvb9y8A