PDA

View Full Version : INFO: [NOW] open for business!

dahamsta
27/03/2008, 3:29 PM
Until I open this forum officially, it's to be used for discussion of the logistics of running it ONLY: who should mod and what the rules should be. So the floodgates are open, flood...

My own thoughts are that we should have two mods, an existing mod with a proven ability to kick ass, and a new mod that can learn from the first. On rules, I'd suggest two very simple rules to kick things off:

1) At the outset at least, football related stuff only.
2) No traders. By traders I mean people who do it for a living, rather than as a hobby or small additional income. IMHO it will be obvious who's a trader and who isn't.

adam

Block G Raptor
27/03/2008, 3:43 PM
I'd be interested in moderating this and have been nominated elsewhere. I'm only available during the week and for a short while sat and sun afternoons

anto1208
27/03/2008, 4:39 PM
Traders have ruined EBay I think it should be more of a car boot sale than a shop set up.

One important rule would be you must display postage costs. So you don’t get someone agreeing to buy the item only to be told it will cost 50 euro to post it.

I imagine it should be very easy to MOD I cant see many fights starting some one lists a product & price some one agree to pay for it they sort it out themselves after that.

It may be worth limiting who can sell on the site for a while at least. Limit it to people with a certain standing on the site. I use these kinds of sites a lot for both buying and selling and they are very open to fraud. Don’t know if you want to start taking credit card details from people or if people would want to give them out.

Perhaps at least a "you must register and insure items posted" policy should be enforced. Voiding any "I paid for this but it never showed up" arguments.

dahamsta
27/03/2008, 6:33 PM
Apologies, I had this moderated, forgot to lift. All clear now.

A part time moderator wouldn't work here BGR.

forza rovers
27/03/2008, 8:20 PM
I'd be interested in moderating this and would be avalable nearly every afternoon and weekends.

anto1208
28/03/2008, 9:29 AM
Im on from 9am to around 12 at night most days ( not constantly but in and out ) I'd give it a go if you want me to but ive no idea how good or bad i would be. But as i say i use these marketplace sites a lot so know what to look out for.

Terry
29/03/2008, 12:59 PM
you cannot nominate yourselves for the moderators postion lads. When the position is ready to be opened Dahamsta will let everyone know and all suitable nominations will then be considered.

seand
31/03/2008, 2:47 PM
Perhaps at least a "you must register and insure items posted" policy should be enforced. Voiding any "I paid for this but it never showed up" arguments.

The problem with that is that it pushes the cost of post through the roof, and basically rules out the possibility of buying/selling a couple of programmes for a couple of euro.

John83
31/03/2008, 2:52 PM
The problem with that is that it pushes the cost of post through the roof, and basically rules out the possibility of buying/selling a couple of programmes for a couple of euro.
How much would registered mail of a couple of programmes in an envelope cost?

noby
31/03/2008, 2:55 PM
I sent three sheets of A4 by registered post last week and it cost me over a fiver. A couple of programs would, I imagine, cost more.

dahamsta
31/03/2008, 3:16 PM
Postage is gone very expensive, and I don't think it's our place to police it to that level tbh. We should certainly have recommendations in place though.

anto1208
31/03/2008, 3:55 PM

True i was thinking of sales with quite a high value.

Can items be tracked with an post ? i had something posted to me from Asia and it had a tracking number on it no extra cost in postage but i could look online and see where it was ( shipped , then sorting office i knew when it got to ireland and next day i had it ) .

I think if its going to be things like programs etc with a value of under 20 euro then there is no need but over 50 euro id at least insure it. Or at least leave it up to the buyer if he doesnt feel like paying for the extra postage costs then its his risk.

Boo_Boy
02/04/2008, 3:42 PM
True i was thinking of sales with quite a high value.

Can items be tracked with an post ? i had something posted to me from Asia and it had a tracking number on it no extra cost in postage but i could look online and see where it was ( shipped , then sorting office i knew when it got to ireland and next day i had it ) .

was it HK Post?,they give tracking numbers with everything.

If you want to track your item online with AnPost you need to use registered post which costs an extra euro or 2.

kingdom hoop
04/04/2008, 5:42 AM
Well I've given this some deep, deep consideration and have come to the conclusion that the magnificently cool, calm, and collected Osarusan ought to be a prime candidate for the glorified position of moderator for this new-fangled forum.

Now, admittedly, I haven't interviewed the character for the position but if he's been secretly, cutely angling for it over the past few years then his elaborate charade deserves reward.

To clear the above mumblings up, I nominate Osarusan for moderator. Not sure if he wants it, or not, though!

Block G Raptor
04/04/2008, 10:04 AM
Well I've given this some deep, deep consideration and have come to the conclusion that the magnificently cool, calm, and collected Osarusan ought to be a prime candidate for the glorified position of moderator for this new-fangled forum.

Now, admittedly, I haven't interviewed the character for the position but if he's been secretly, cutely angling for it over the past few years then his elaborate charade deserves reward.

To clear the above mumblings up, I nominate Osarusan for moderator. Not sure if he wants it, or not, though!

Seconded

Bluebeard
04/04/2008, 10:33 AM
I dunno how these things work, and I am not sure if I will have cause to use it, but I have two ideas that I'd like to float.

Firstly, I think that, where possible, people shoudl try to deliver by means other than postage. Many folk here live or work in one of the major cities. Many people here travel to away games all over the country, or to interntaionals at home or abroad. I am sure that something can be worked out whereby if someone in Wexford is buying something from someone in, say Limerick, a "courier" could deliver or collect it at the next fixture between the two. Granted it will not work in every circumstance, but it could do in some, and some creative imaginings. For example if Kingdom Hoop in Dublin (presumably) wanted to buy some programmes from Noby in Waterford, it is potentially possible that Noby could pass them to a Blues fan living in Dublin at a game, who could in turn pass them on to John in the pub on the following Tuesday evening. Obviously all involved would have to be in agreement, but it is a potentially much better way of sending stuff as you have a guarantee of delivery if you pick someone you can trust, it makes those trips to and from wherever more carbon efficient, and the Foot.ie fraternity grows stronger.

In a similar nature, there should be also the provision for the swapping of things. For example, Say Block G collects various club scarfs, while Terry is looking for a few programmes from the season when Galway won the cup in 1991. While I am not saying that they are necessarily of equivalent value, it is entirely possible that some kind of bartered trade could be achieved, possibly even without resorting to using cash, credit card, cheques, bank drafts or postal orders (do these still exist?). I would suggest that if someone is up for this, it would be a good idea for them to state that they are willing to accept non-monetary payment in the advertising post.

Great idea, added bonus in that he lives too far away to have big burley men with thick set shoulders and thick set accents sent to his door to "Talk sense" to him. Very strongly thirded.

osarusan
05/04/2008, 1:54 AM
Aw guys, I'm blushing.

dahamsta
16/04/2008, 7:42 PM
I'm leaning towards knocking this on the head tbh, there seems to be very little demand or interest. Am I wrong?

John83
16/04/2008, 8:37 PM
I might sell a small number of match programmes a year on it. To be honest, I'm not pushed.

kingdom hoop
16/04/2008, 10:56 PM
I suppose you could lob the ticket-exchange threads in here for a bit of lifeblood. Though that wasn't the point of the new forum, was it?

I think people's innate desire (well mine at least) to horde things as long as possible is a problem. Maybe once (if) it's opened people will perk up then. Otherwise we're waiting for this recession thing to properly kick-in and before you know it wives will be for sale here two-a-penny.

Block G Raptor
17/04/2008, 9:37 AM
I think the big "NOT OPEN FOR BUSINESS" Tag is keeping people away from this thread. I say open it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes