PDA

View Full Version : Norn Irish record broken

noddy102
26/03/2008, 10:29 PM
'Peter Thompson became the first Irish League player since 1984 to score for Northern Ireland - the last was Lee Doherty, who also played for the Belfast club.'

When is the last time a League of Ireland player has scored for Ireland?

TheBoss
26/03/2008, 10:36 PM
Well I see it as an Levan Kobiashvili own goal.

noddy102
26/03/2008, 10:38 PM
Well I see it as an Levan Kobiashvili own goal.

Don't spoil the Northerner's fun. :mad:

holidaysong
26/03/2008, 10:42 PM
Definitely an own goal.

Risteard
26/03/2008, 10:48 PM
What record?

RiffRaff
26/03/2008, 10:51 PM
At a guess, was the last league of Ireland player to score in a full international Ray Treacy? After moving back to Shamrock Rovers

noddy102
26/03/2008, 10:56 PM
AWOOGA!

We have some smartasses!

3 a (1): a body of known or recorded (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/recorded) facts about something or someone especially with reference to a particular sphere of activity that often forms a discernible pattern <a good academic record> <a liberal voting record> (2): a collection of related items of information (as in a database) treated as a unit b (1): an attested top performance (2): an unsurpassed statistic

Can't you just play along and answer my query? If it was or wasn't a goal for Peter Thompson, it doesn't really matter. What interests me is the fact that Norn Iron haven't had a player from the Irish League scoring an international goal since 1984, and I'd like to know if anybody happens to remember the last time a League of Ireland player has done likewise for our beloved nation.

At a guess, was the last league of Ireland player to score in a full international Ray Treacy? After moving back to Shamrock Rovers

Cheers. That gets the ball rolling.

SkStu
27/03/2008, 12:43 AM
did Johnny Glynn score when he was called up by Charlton?

i could be way off - he may not have even played...

aw samsonite! i was waaay off...

Metrostars
27/03/2008, 1:49 AM

Who's Ray Treacy? He must be shyte if I never heard of him :p

theworm2345
27/03/2008, 4:08 AM
Ray Treacy scored a brace against Turkey on April 5, 1978, his second goal in the 23rd minute making him the last LoI player to score for Ireland (he was at Shamrock Rovers). Missed a penalty as well. His Rovers teammate John Giles also scored in that match, he doesn't get the honor simply because he scored before Treacy did. Paul McGee had the other goal.

Lionel Ritchie
27/03/2008, 8:15 AM
Thompson didn't know a lot about it but it came off him and I would therefore call it his goal. McAuleys header was on target too so he'd have at least as good a shout on it as any claim for O.G.

paul_oshea
27/03/2008, 9:04 AM
did Johnny Glynn score when he was called up by Charlton?

i could be way off - he may not have even played...

aw samsonite! i was waaay off...

class :D

geysir
27/03/2008, 10:19 AM
Any strange betting patterns connected with the game.

BTW, the Norn Iron record has been broken for ages.

Jerry The Saint
27/03/2008, 10:24 AM

I think he runs a hotel in Saipan:confused:

OwlsFan
27/03/2008, 10:29 AM
The Georgian goal was hilarious, an OG put away beautifully by Healy. That guy just can't stop scoring at international level :D

Greenforever
27/03/2008, 12:00 PM

Well you obviously dont travel to away games either as Ray is the officail FAI aget and runs packages to all away games, :D

Anyway Ray is a decent skin who played centre forward alongside Givens and in the same era as Giles among others.

Apart from being a decent footballer in his day, he's pretty good on the banjoe and is an ex manager of Shamrock Rovers when they were at Milltown and won the league in 83/84?