PDA

View Full Version : Best Town XI

Rocky77
25/03/2008, 4:36 PM
Following a chat I had with Seamie the other night, I decided to see what people thought our best ever team would have been. Here's mine:

Shay Kelly: This may be contentious, gets the edge because of his loyalty in staying. Still a class shot-stopper, Tolka Parklast August, anyone?

Sean Dillon: His versatility sees him get in at right back. Won Under 21 caps with us, quality player and is showing it in the SPL now.

Graham Gartland: Man of the match in the 04 Cup final in my book. Colossus.

Paul McNally: Terrific defender and even though he left for Bohs, had a bit of Longford about him. Came to Flancare for the Derry match in November.

Sean Prunty: Brilliant last season, not many natural left wingers could play centre half! Local lad and a gent.

Alan Kirby: Quality player and as good as a local -- sat in Section O for the semi-final against UCD. Remember his strike at Dalymount? Or Lansdowne? He'll be back.

Vinny Perth: No explanation necessary.

Stuart Byrne: Maybe the best player we've ever had, in my opinion at least. In many ways we were the making of him and has been one of the country's best and most consistent players for nearly a decade.

Dave Savage: Moving him to the left as Kirbs is on the right. Went on to win five Ireland caps.

Richie Parsons: Two stints, great finisher, top player.

Dave Mooney: Based on one season really, but the country's top scorer even though we finished bottom, fantastic achievement. And picked up an Under 23 cap.

* There will no doubt be a few questioning my omission of Zac Hackett, but I never seem him play so I've left him out.

Longfordian
25/03/2008, 5:22 PM
I'd just make two changes to that team Rocky. Digger in goals, Shay is as good a keeper maybe better in some ways but Digger just contributed so many great games for a long time and he gets my vote. Then Barry Ferguson in for Gartland. Not expecting too many to agree here but for me he was as good an organiser of the defence as I've seen, immensely respected by all his team-mates and captained us to three national trophies. The rest of your team I fully agree with.

town73
25/03/2008, 5:36 PM
I'd agree with most, but I think I'd have Paul Perth at centre back.

It also brings up something else that I'd been thinking about in recent weeks - how many ex-Longford players currently plying their trade elsewhere. I estimate that there are nine out of 22 that don't have ex-Town players - Bohs, Cobh, Derry, Finn Harps, Limerick, Monaghan, Sligo, Waterford and Wexford.

De Town
25/03/2008, 6:28 PM
I'd just make two changes to that team Rocky. Digger in goals, Shay is as good a keeper maybe better in some ways but Digger just contributed so many great games for a long time and he gets my vote. Then Barry Ferguson in for Gartland. Not expecting too many to agree here but for me he was as good an organiser of the defence as I've seen, immensely respected by all his team-mates and captained us to three national trophies. The rest of your team I fully agree with.
Agree about Digger.

And while Barry was an excellent leader, I feel Garto is a far better player, so I would agree with Rocky about picking Garto.

I'd agree with most, but I think I'd have Paul Perth at centre back.
Yeah Paul Perth came into my thinking alright when reading Rocky's post. Excellent player, pity about the injuries.

Longfordian
25/03/2008, 6:51 PM
Suppose it's whether it comes down to the contribution they made or their ability or a mixture of both. Garto was probably a better player ability wise but he didnt play nearly as much as Barry. Each to their own, both were very good.

max power
25/03/2008, 6:57 PM
take out mooney put in mumbles. That goal against Rovers :D

Or the team i'd pick.

Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny.

Subs : Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny.

Remember God is more than one being;)

Longfordian
25/03/2008, 7:20 PM
"We all dream of a team of Eric Lavines" cried Section O back in the day...

max power
25/03/2008, 7:25 PM
"We all dream of a team of Eric Lavines" cried Section O back in the day...

oh weren't they so wise:rolleyes::D

De Town
25/03/2008, 7:31 PM
Suppose it's whether it comes down to the contribution they made or their ability or a mixture of both. Garto was probably a better player ability wise but he didnt play nearly as much as Barry. Each to their own, both were very good.
Very true.

Pauro 76
25/03/2008, 8:23 PM
Wonder if Heysham El Kershi and Zac Hackett would have made it if they played in our glory years. I'd place Digger ahead of Shay Kelly, purely because of the many good memories of him in goal.

Rocky77
25/03/2008, 9:15 PM
take out mooney put in mumbles. That goal against Rovers :D

Or the team i'd pick.

Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny.

Subs : Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny, Vinny.

Remember God is more than one being;)

What formation would you play there Max? I reckon Vinny in the hole just behind Vinny and Vinny would cause problems for any team. Not sure how great Vinny would be under crosses but with Vinny and Vinny in front of him he should be OK :D

Rocky77
25/03/2008, 9:19 PM

Yeah, to be honest I wrestled with those two selections. But, I'm the boss, I'm the gaffer... the buck stops with me ;)

roversman
25/03/2008, 9:38 PM
john mc keown for your best manager
do ye remember him back in your junior days

Salmon Coloured
26/03/2008, 6:46 AM
Wonder if Heysham El Kershi and Zac Hackett would have made it if they played in our glory years. I'd place Digger ahead of Shay Kelly, purely because of the many good memories of him in goal.

Funnily enough I met the two of them before the cup final against Cork in that pub all the Town fans were in before the game! They were sound & we had a few minutes chat. Legends. They were part of the Town team that I first ever saw.
Jelly Kelly in goals anyone, what about Alan Weldrick up front?

sorbothegreek
26/03/2008, 8:21 AM
Funnily enough I met the two of them before the cup final against Cork in that pub all the Town fans were in before the game! They were sound & we had a few minutes chat. Legends. They were part of the Town team that I first ever saw.
Jelly Kelly in goals anyone, what about Alan Weldrick up front?

Another couple from those days and the team that i think missed out on promotion by only 2 or 3 points at the time as well as getting to the first division shield final. Was it Paul Kelly in goal? I can remember thinking at the time that he was an unbelievable goalkeeper. I think he won a couple of underage caps as well but could be mistaken. Pierce Walsh anyone? And Jonny Morris Burke! Hard to know how they'd compare with some of todays lads all right.

Rocky77
26/03/2008, 9:41 AM
[quote=sorbothegreek;905231And Jonny Morris Burke![/quote]

What a mullet and tash combo!

Paul Kelly did pick up an Under 21 cap I believe.

Salmon Coloured, I think you mean Anthony 'Jelly' Keenan. Good keeper.

sligoman
26/03/2008, 10:46 AM
*cough* Ian Wexler *cough*

;)

Flea
26/03/2008, 1:05 PM
Damien Dunleavy=Legend. At times I see flashes of him in Torres

Longfordian
26/03/2008, 1:10 PM
I fondly remember Dully's efforts up front.

Flea
26/03/2008, 1:18 PM
and for sheer comedy, Id replace Gartland in that team for the sweet 'helium' voice of Frank Darby bolstering up the defence :D

Rocky77
26/03/2008, 1:20 PM
and for sheer comedy, Id replace Gartland in that team for the sweet 'helium' voice of Frank Darby bolstering up the defence :D

Good kickin' Jelly...

Keen2win
26/03/2008, 1:29 PM
Following a chat I had with Seamie the other night, I decided to see what people thought our best ever team would have been. Here's mine:

Shay Kelly: This may be contentious, gets the edge because of his loyalty in staying. Still a class shot-stopper, Tolka Parklast August, anyone?

Sean Dillon: His versatility sees him get in at right back. Won Under 21 caps with us, quality player and is showing it in the SPL now.

Paul McNally: Terrific defender and even though he left for Bohs, had a bit of Longford about him. Came to Flancare for the Derry match in November.

Sean Prunty: Brilliant last season, not many natural left wingers could play centre half! Local lad and a gent.

Alan Kirby: Quality player and as good as a local -- sat in Section O for the semi-final against UCD. Remember his strike at Dalymount? Or Lansdowne? He'll be back.

Stuart Byrne: Maybe the best player we've ever had, in my opinion at least. In many ways we were the making of him and has been one of the country's best and most consistent players for nearly a decade.

Dave Savage: Moving him to the left as Kirbs is on the right. Went on to win five Ireland caps.

Dave Mooney: Based on one season really, but the country's top scorer even though we finished bottom, fantastic achievement. And picked up an Under 23 cap.

I'd agree but would defo like to see Digger instead of Shay. I still think Shay is a savage keeper though.

Rocky77
26/03/2008, 1:41 PM
Would it be freasible if the club organised some kind of "Heroes Night" and invited back as many memorable players and characters from the past as possible? Maybe a fans vote for Best XI, Best Manager, Cult Hero, etc. Would draw a big crowd I'd say and would generate a lot of media attention.

max power
26/03/2008, 1:43 PM
Would it be freasible if the club organised some kind of "Heroes Night" and invited back as many memorable players and characters from the past as possible? Maybe a fans vote for Best XI, Best Manager, Cult Hero, etc. Would draw a big crowd I'd say and would generate a lot of media attention.

well i think a certain keeper left a bad taste in the month of a few around the club so it would be interesting to see him returning.

But i'd love to see something like this happening. But the likes of Zac would have to be involved, people of a certain age grew up being Zac Hackett in the school play ground !!!

deecay
26/03/2008, 1:45 PM
It lacks something of the left side of midfield,cant think who would do a job there?

max power
26/03/2008, 1:46 PM
It lacks something of the left side of midfield,cant think who would do a job there?

ur ma, now pee off to your own forum:rolleyes:

Rocky77
26/03/2008, 1:51 PM

Shane Barrett?

deecay
26/03/2008, 1:51 PM
ur ma, now pee off to your own forum:rolleyes:
Ha,I was thinking more along the lines of Ian Wexler.

No thanks I think il keep an eye on this thread

Longfordian
26/03/2008, 2:04 PM
well i think a certain keeper left a bad taste in the month of a few around the club so it would be interesting to see him returning.

But i'd love to see something like this happening. But the likes of Zac would have to be involved, people of a certain age grew up being Zac Hackett in the school play ground !!!

Don't think it'd be too much of a problem for anyone to return though I don't think there's much love lost between a certain former manager and that former keeper. It'd be an interesting thing to do though.

max power
26/03/2008, 2:05 PM
Don't think it'd be too much of a problem for anyone to return though I don't think there's much love lost between a certain former manager and that former keeper. It'd be an interesting thing to do though.

Fly on the wall stuff eh !!!

Longfordian
26/03/2008, 2:07 PM
You could make a good documentary out of the night. Fill people with drink and get all their true opinions :)

max power
26/03/2008, 2:13 PM
You could make a good documentary out of the night. Fill people with drink and get all their true opinions :)

well seeing as hoe the dvd i did was edited i don't think the club with let it be aired:D

Martinho II
26/03/2008, 8:07 PM
what about colin notaro? colt hero for us in our first season in the top flight... stephen kelly brill midfielder for us , aidan "jacko" smith, leo devlin,mark devlin, ... the list is endless....

Pauro 76
26/03/2008, 9:24 PM
Think someone should set up a poll for this, or PM a selected somebody, they can come back with the results. This could be interesting. maybe an end of season thing?

Xlex
26/03/2008, 9:44 PM
I'm not expecting to have him in the team but IMO Sean Francis was vastly underrated by loads of LT supporters.

Longfordian
26/03/2008, 10:02 PM
I'm not expecting to have him in the team but IMO Sean Francis was vastly underrated by loads of LT supporters.

Yeah I was strongly considering him for my team to be honest.

Cabs88
28/03/2008, 4:06 PM
a 4-3-3

Kelly (brilliant shot stopper, as said his performances in tolka, and in galway were top class, we wont mention the other fella)
Dillon (one of the most accomplished centre halves i have seen in the league, could play anywhere along the back four, good on the ball and going forward, scoring some vital goals, Drogheda, bohs) Alan murphy in fairness prior to Carmarthen 2005 was a great servant to us aswell.
Danny O'Connor (contentious, but always played well be it centre midfield or centre back, great organiser, wasnt blessed with pace, but a great football brain. Scored a wonder goal against Cork that is still talked about today.The best of the 3 players we brought from drogheda at the time (Gartland would be the obvious choice, but never got playing enough for us, and as for massey ferguson)
Alan McNally (one of the best centre backs we've had. Held the defence well during the gung ho days of Kenny)
Sean Prunty. Legend. If anyone epitomised our push for survival last year it was him. Quiet, but let his football do the talking
Alan Kirby (brilliant football brain, never got the credit he deserved)
Stuey Byrne (brillaint footballer and organiser. Has shown what a class act he still is in the league, was about to give up football before joining the town. A town great
Vinny Perth (delighted to see him back, his commitment and die for the jersey attitude illuminated many a night in Mullolagher

Eric Lavine (brilliant player, always worthy of his place in the team, worked his socks off and scored some brilliant goals for us)
Keith O'Connor (What a player top scorer in the first division, and got a few goals when we got promoted aswell, its not many times ya see an overhead kick in flancare)
Dave Mooney (As stated, purely for one season, but his goals gave us a shout of survival.)

Tallanted
30/03/2008, 10:51 AM
Digger- best keeper we have ever had by a mile full stop

Sean Dillon- Mr consistent

Paul McNally- Coolest defender we have ever had, influencial in promotion season and in 1st season in top flight

Barry Ferguson- Love him or hate him he is our most successful captain and was a great leader, loved his no bull style

Sean Prunty- great service and consistent whereever he played

Alan Kirby- Class on his day

Stuey Byrne- Top player whether he played centre mid or centre back for us, seldom had an off day

Vinny Perth- Dont need to say anything more

Paul Perth- Only for injury he would probably have gone on to be one of greatest players to play for us, Brilliant when we got promoted and also in his one game in the premier against Derry

Keith O'Connor- His goals did the talking for him

Dessie Baker- Class act, most gifted player we have ever had, highly underrated by too many town fans who never apprecited how valuble he was to us, no conicidence we started winnin last season when he came back from injury, gonna be a huge success at rovers this season

I know ive 3 central midfielders in there but felt both perths had to be in there

Macy
31/03/2008, 7:28 AM

* There will no doubt be a few questioning my omission of Zac Hackett, but I never seem him play so I've left him out.
Digger for Kelly - the rumours surrounding incidents in the last few years shouldn't take away from his contribution over the years.
Barry for McNally - just a better player, and a cup lifting captain.
Mumbles for Mooney - Mooney one of the most frustrating players I've watched, and Mumbles for his promotion goals!

Players that should be there for their songs - Notaro, Niall Byrne

Pauro 76
31/03/2008, 8:32 AM
Notaro on the bench surely.. just for his chant!

"He drives a truck, and he doesnt give a f*ck,
he's a bald truck driving man"

Our best chant ever I reckon.

Nipper
31/03/2008, 1:05 PM
Notaro should definitely be on the bench - emergency sub in case we ever needed a snakey penalty.

Martinho II
31/03/2008, 8:36 PM

would agree with the majority of the team except for digger for kelly..

subs... shay kelly alan murphy zac hackett stephen kelly eric lavine

btw delighted to see garto gave us a mention on 60 feature on mns tonight.. when asked who is his second team he said longford town.. da mans deserves honoury citizenship in section o and da town for that!

Maz
31/03/2008, 9:50 PM
btw delighted to see garto gave us a mention on 60 feature on mns tonight.. when asked who is his second team he said longford town.. da mans deserves honoury citizenship in section o and da town for that!

He was treated well here no wonder he still likes it. Wouldnt be giving him honoury anything to be honest!! ;)