PDA

View Full Version : 2 random questions

noddy102
25/03/2008, 3:34 PM
1. My cousin told me that some Nigerian-born player will become the first Nigerian to play for Ireland some time in the near future, or at least wants to do so. He tells me he has played at underage level for Ireland, but is not entirely sure (it sounds like he's talking crap tbh).

Can anyone clear this mystery up?

2. My same cousin heard from his 'teacher' - who supposedly played for N.F - about some Irish goalkeeper who used to play for Juventus @ youth level, won some sort of youth level award but then never made it at Juventus and plied his trade at many different clubs, before eventually arriving in prison for drug smuggling.
The only other information he has provided me with is as follows;

- He has a 'Dutch' name.
- The teacher explained that the reason he never made it as a footballer was because he came from a 'deprived' area of Dublin, which influenced his character.

Surprisingly there is no name given for this player either, although my cousin insists the teacher did in fact give this 'player' a name. Can anyone clear this mystery up as well?

Thanks, and sorry for wasting your time if I have. ;)

DmanDmythDledge
25/03/2008, 3:39 PM
First sound like Emeka Onwubiko. Plays for Bray and he played for Ireland U19 recently.

noddy102
25/03/2008, 3:41 PM
First sound like Emeka Onwubiko. Plays for Bray and he played for Ireland U19 recently.

Cheers for that. ;)

Now... who will solve mystery no.2....

soccerc
25/03/2008, 3:42 PM
1. My cousin told me that some Nigerian-born player will become the first Nigerian to play for Ireland some time in the near future, or at least wants to do so. He tells me he has played at underage level for Ireland, but is not entirely sure (it sounds like he's talking crap tbh).

2. My same cousin heard from his 'teacher' - who supposedly played for Nottingham Forest (Eoin O'Flaherty) - about some Irish goalkeeper who used to play for Juventus @ youth level, won some sort of youth level award but then never made it at Juventus and plied his trade at many different clubs, before eventually arriving in prison for drug smuggling.

- He has a 'Dutch' name.
- The teacher explained that the reason he never made it as a footballer was because he came from a 'deprived' area of Dublin, which influenced his character.

Surprisingly there is no name given for this player either, although my cousin insists the teacher did in fact give this 'player' a name. Can anyone clear this mystery up as well?

1. Emeka Onwubiko but doubt he'll ever make senior international grade.

2. Cousin is incorrect about Juventus and that he is not prison for Drug Smuggling nor is where he was raised/lived anything to do with his failure to be a great 'keeper

noddy102
25/03/2008, 3:47 PM
2. Cousin is incorrect about Juventus and that he is not prison for Drug Smuggling nor is where he was raised/lived anything to do with his failure to be a great 'keeper

Okay, but what is the keeper's name?

Blue-Army
25/03/2008, 4:12 PM
Eddie Van Boxtel

Eddie Van Boxtel, the former Leeds United trainee goalkeeper who returned to Ireland to win a League medal with Dundalk in 1995, was one of four men to appear at Naas District Court on Thursday following a major Garda investigation into an €11m drugs haul.

The haul, consisting of cannabis resin, was seized by Gardai in County Kildare on Wednesday.

And Van Boxtel, from Ballymun, is one of four men charged with possession of drugs and possession with intent to supply.

The 34-year-old started out at Leeds United before joining Dermot Keely’s Dundalk on his return to his homeland.

He won a League of Ireland medal with the Lilywhites in the 1994/95 season before going on to play for Drogheda United, Galway United, Monaghan United, Home Farm and Bray Wanderers.

(eleven-a-side.com)

BigmanCas
25/03/2008, 4:12 PM
http://www.eddievanboxtel.bravepages.com/evb_photos.html

ifk101
25/03/2008, 4:13 PM

I don't think his name can be mentioned now after your first post.

or maybe not.

noddy102
25/03/2008, 4:17 PM
I don't think his name can be mentioned now after your first post.

or maybe not.

Righto. :confused:

Anyway thanks guys. I now have faith in my cousin's abilty again.
For a minute there I thought I could smell a whole load of bull****, but my cousin has passed with flying colours once again, and in doing so, has cleared the name of his teacher.

paul_oshea
25/03/2008, 4:25 PM
his teacher could now be in trouble too.....

tricky_colour
25/03/2008, 7:24 PM

2. My same cousin heard from his 'teacher' - who supposedly played for N.F - about some Irish goalkeeper who used to play for Juventus @ youth level, won some sort of youth level award but then never made it at Juventus and plied his trade at many different clubs, before eventually arriving in prison for drug smuggling.

- He has a 'Dutch' name.

What is N.F??????????????????????????????????????????????

pineapple stu
25/03/2008, 7:27 PM
Nottingham Forest, I assume.

Jamjar
25/03/2008, 7:33 PM
There was also Ronnie O'Brien who was signed by Juventus, don't think he was a drug barron though. He didn't make it at Juve and plays in the USA now.

Superhoops
25/03/2008, 7:40 PM
There was also Ronnie O'Brien who was signed by Juventus, don't think he was a drug barron though. He didn't make it at Juve and plays in the USA now.

Wasn't a goalkeeper either!!!:rolleyes:

Wangball
25/03/2008, 7:59 PM
There was a Dutch born lad capped by Kerr at underage level years ago called Wesdie Abdelaziz, he was a goalkeeper for for FC Haarlem, I think his brother who was a midfielder got an U20's or U21's cap....he never played for Juve but he's "more Dutch" than Van Boxtel & more of a goalkeeper than Ronnie O'Brien!!!

John83
25/03/2008, 8:09 PM
There was a Dutch born lad capped by Kerr at underage level years ago called Wesdie Abdelaziz, he was a goalkeeper for for FC Haarlem, I think his brother who was a midfielder got an U20's or U21's cap....he never played for Juve but he's "more Dutch" than Van Boxtel & more of a goalkeeper than Ronnie O'Brien!!!
Ah, but was he more crooked than Bertie?

pineapple stu
25/03/2008, 8:42 PM
he's "more Dutch" than Van Boxtel
Wikipedia says van Boxtel was born in Amsterdam?