PDA

View Full Version : Gianluigi Buffon

danonion
25/03/2008, 6:05 AM
I happened to watch the Serie A match between Juventus and Inter at the weekend, and the commentator mentioned Buffon is suffering from chronic back problems. A bit of googling confirmed this. I think it is very possible that he could wrap up his Azzurri career after Euro 2008.

Could we be so fortunate? Not that I want to wish ill on a great player but Italy's reserve goalkeepers are not of a very high standard.

superfrank
25/03/2008, 11:21 AM
Francesco Toldo is still a good keeper but I'm not sure if he's retired internationally.

Storari did exceptionally well at Messina the last 2 years. He moved to Milan and didn't really settle but he's still a top keeper. Then there's Marco Amelia as well. They have plenty of options in net.

Ireland just have Given and whoever's the flavour of the month.

TheBoss
25/03/2008, 1:47 PM
Italy do have top keepers, as stated, Amelia is a really good keeper. Roma is also a decent keeper aswell.

danonion
25/03/2008, 11:08 PM
I don't rate Amelia. It would be interesting if Toldo came back I'm a huge fan of his.

TheBoss
25/03/2008, 11:14 PM
Its very hard thing to say that you do not rate him, he is a lot better than people will give him credit for.

Toldo will not be coming back, he is not 1st at Inter and for a country like Italy, you would have to be first choice

danonion
25/03/2008, 11:55 PM
If Donadoni saw that Copa del Rey game against Juve it would make him think.

TheBoss
26/03/2008, 9:57 AM
Firstly, Copa del Rey is the Spanish Cup :D and secondly, everyone has a bad game at some stage during a season, look at Reina for Liverpool at the weekend, looked solid all season and then had a really bad game.

danonion
26/03/2008, 8:05 PM
Firstly, Copa del Rey is the Spanish Cup :D and secondly, everyone has a bad game at some stage during a season, look at Reina for Liverpool at the weekend, looked solid all season and then had a really bad game.

What makes that slip even more sad is I speak Italian :o

Anyway what I meant was Toldo played brilliantly ... he's up to int'l standard still

Ozymandias
27/03/2008, 2:46 PM

Reina had a bad game...jaysus he kept liverpool in the game when it was 1-0 must have made three cracking saves when a utd player was one on one ( ronaldo twice if I do recall)

TheBoss
27/03/2008, 4:03 PM
Yes, but the ball has hit at him rather than him positioning himself.

eamo1
27/03/2008, 4:30 PM
Carlo Cudicini should get a look in i feel.Hes one of the best keepers in Europe but hes behind another top class keeper at chelsea so until he gets first team football he probably wont play for them.
Buffon made 2 good saves last night vrs Spain.Italy are a brick wall in defence,despite losing last night which was to a great strike.

TheBoss
27/03/2008, 4:45 PM
I think that Cudicini's small height make's him look better than other keepers when in fact he is just a decent keeper, most keepers can reach the ball when saving it but Carlo stretches at it making it look a good save.

DmanDmythDledge
27/03/2008, 8:00 PM
Reina had a bad game...jaysus he kept liverpool in the game when it was 1-0 must have made three cracking saves when a utd player was one on one ( ronaldo twice if I do recall)
They were very good saves but to make it as a goalkeeper at any level you have to be a good shot stopper. Reina is not good in the air and I don't think those mistakes were uncharacteristic of him.

Ozymandias
28/03/2008, 10:59 AM
They were very good saves but to make it as a goalkeeper at any level you have to be a good shot stopper. Reina is not good in the air and I don't think those mistakes were uncharacteristic of him.

I agree..but THEBOSS said he had a bad game against utd..i was stating that he actually had a good game...I agree he has flaws and is lacking in certain areas but he did have a good game against utd