PDA

View Full Version : Duffer to Chelsea?

Pages : [1] 2

Plastic Paddy
11/07/2003, 8:34 AM
The latest in a long line of rumours now that Roman Abramovich has taken over at Stamford Bridge... apparently Chelsea have bid £17 million, which triggers a clause in Duff's contract to allow him to talk to them.

Will Chelsea succeed where (allegedly) ManUre and Liverpool have failed? And, more importantly, will this move have any impact on Duffer when wearing the green?

Any thoughts, folks?

:D PP

Macy
11/07/2003, 9:44 AM
Well considering the Chelsea fans links to the NF/C18/England Hoolies, it is surely the equivalent of him joining Rangers.... I expect Silvio Dante to condemn this and to boo his every touch in Lansdowne...

Mayo_Bhoy
11/07/2003, 10:01 AM
will this move have any impact on Duffer when wearing the green?

Well, it shouldn’t of course, but considering the amount of morons going to Landsdowne these days, who knows?:(

elroy
11/07/2003, 11:15 AM
Dont think he'd want to go there to be honest, ya chelsea have champions league football this year, but there isnt a whole lot of difference between Blackburn and Chelsea, other than Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool or any big European Club cant see him leaving this year.

John83
11/07/2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by elroy
Dont think he'd want to go there to be honest, ya chelsea have champions league football this year, but there isnt a whole lot of difference between Blackburn and Chelsea, other than Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool or any big European Club cant see him leaving this year.

Well it'd have to be a big club buying him anyway given the price tag. There is a big differance between Blackburn and Chelsea. Chelsea are one of the Big Five in England (Newcastle having replaced Leeds recently). They're consistantly in Europe, and with the sudden influx of money, are likely to stay there for the forseeable future.

Secondly, Rovers are managed by a guy who's managed to have a fight with almost every other player in the squad. If Souness was my boss, I'd be looking to jump ship too.

On the other hand, the signing of Emerton might signal enough ambition from Blackburn to keep Duff there. We'll see soon enough.

And if anyone starts booing Duffer at Lansdown, I'll riot personally.

Macy
11/07/2003, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by John83
I'll riot personally.
Is it possible to have a one man riot?

patsh
11/07/2003, 1:54 PM
Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
And, more importantly, will this move have any impact on Duffer when wearing the green?

Why would it?:confused:
Didn't Andy Tonwsend play for Chelsea?

Plastic Paddy
11/07/2003, 2:38 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
Why would it?:confused:
Didn't Andy Tonwsend play for Chelsea?

I think people have misread the inference in my line of questioning through the fixation with the booing at Lansdowne of Rangers players, etc., that seems to pervade these boards.

I was asking about the effects on Duffer from a footballing perspective - whether, for example:

Chelsea's style of play;
Ranieri's squad rotation;
being a smaller fish in a bigger pond; etc.

would have a positive or negative impact on Duff's contribution in a green shirt.

So, folks, thoughts on those questions instead?

:D PP

Schumi
11/07/2003, 3:29 PM
Chelsea are a better side than Blackburn with better players and they're playing in the Champions' League this season so if he gets his game with Chelsea, it'd be better for him.

pete
11/07/2003, 3:42 PM
£17 million? LOL

Kewell goes for £5m & Chelsea willing tos pend £17m on Duff? :rolleyes:

Duff be worth max £10m & Blackburn would jump at a similar offer.

Remember just cos the Sun prints something does not mean any truth whatsoever in it.

The Sheliban
11/07/2003, 3:45 PM
Originally posted by Macy
Is it possible to have a one man riot?

The Clash. 1st Single. 1977.

"White riot, I wanna riot,
White riot,
A riot of my own"

What's good enough for Joe is good enough for me.

Slash/ED
11/07/2003, 4:13 PM
Originally posted by pete
£17 million? LOL

Kewell goes for £5m & Chelsea willing tos pend £17m on Duff? :rolleyes:

Remember just cos the Sun prints something does not mean any truth whatsoever in it.

No, but if the Blackburn chairman himself goes on British TV and says it from his very mouth, you get the impression it's more then rumour. As for the price, if Chelski are willing to spend 6m on someone who's played half a season of professional football the skys the limit with Duff!

tiktok
11/07/2003, 5:49 PM

17million is written into his contract apparently, that's from more sources than just the sun. He's not allowed to talk to anyone who offers less than that (personally i agree it's too much for him), apparently chelsea have already had bids of 12 and 15million turned down for him.

this russian guy bankrolling chelsea now has already spent 12.5 million in his three days at the club (on geremi and someone else who i can't remember now) and is aparently throwing money at southhampton for wayne bridge too.

pete
12/07/2003, 10:46 AM
Only realised when going home last night that seems to be bit stronger than a rumour. However good Blackburn may think Duff is they'll be laughing all the weay to the bank if they can get £17m.

Amazing Chelski didn't go for Kewell at a fraction of the price.

I wonder how long before people question where that guy made his money - almost certainly some dubious business activities...

petef
13/07/2003, 9:52 AM
Blackburn have made a few decent signings with Amoruso (nearly signed, as protracted as I've ever seen) Emerton and Dunn, 3 top players. I think Blackburns fortunes are looking up.

patsh
13/07/2003, 11:05 AM

I wonder how long before people question where that guy made his money - almost certainly some dubious business activities...
I don't know, certain "Irish" business men have a big involvment with clubs likeMan U and Celtic, yet their dodgy dealings are never mentioned.

pete
13/07/2003, 11:34 AM
I'd be amazed if Duff turned down a move to a club willing to pay clsoe to £20 million sterling.

Also strange that Blackburn seem to be willing to keep Duff if he wants to stay. £20 could buy a fairly decent team these days.

Suppose being an irish tax exile means you would have a few extra million to buy football shares alright.

NorthoftheLee
14/07/2003, 10:52 AM
if he joins chelsea then he'll definitely have to be booed...Shur don't chelsea have some "fans" Head Hunters and C18 that are linked with loyalist terror groups....shur wont he become a "hun" and a prodie lover if he joins them....He should never play for ireland again if he does join them.....and they wear blue just like rangers....what more evidence do people want??? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Macy
14/07/2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by The Sheliban
The Clash. 1st Single. 1977.

"White riot, I wanna riot,
White riot,
A riot of my own"

What's good enough for Joe is good enough for me.
Of my own, not on his own..... It was about white apathy at a time when the black population of England was rioting against the injustices of the time...

Black people gotta lot a problems
But they don't mind throwing a brick
White people go to school
Where they teach you how to be thick

John83
14/07/2003, 11:28 AM
Amazing Chelski didn't go for Kewell at a fraction of the price.

They didn't have the money to go for Kewell when he was available, and he seems to have been set on joining Liverpool anyway.

The spare change he bought Chelsea with came from Legitimate tax evasion. Some Russian minister criticised the guy in parliment for using a loophole to get out of some tax and then investing it abroad. His fortune has been ammased on the back of a monopoly on the Aluminium industry in Russia and half-ownership of one of Russia's biggest oil companies. How exactly he got all that is a bit more fuzzy. I think he inherited a lot of it.

pete
14/07/2003, 2:09 PM
Can't wait til the ruski cheques bounch ;)

Macy
14/07/2003, 2:26 PM
Apparently he got the money from some scheme that Yeltsin's Government set up - they took out loans with secruity given as shares in various state enterprises... The Government defaulted and the likes of this bloke cashed in... Apparently they also gave out shares to workers as part of their wages, and people like Chelski went around buying these off the poverty stricken workers for a pittance....

tiktok
14/07/2003, 3:09 PM
however questionable the means by which he came into money, there's no doubting the fact that he's willing to throw it chelsea's way. seba veron is reported to be the latest on his way to stamford bridge (14million stg), and the bid for duff will be upped to 18million stg. according to the media. if all these went through, that'd be 44million stg on four players in a week as bankroller.

Estar
15/07/2003, 12:02 PM
Dermot Keely says when he was Duffers teacher he advised him to do his Leaving Cert, it was more important than going to England.

Bet he's glad he took Devo's advise:D

tiktok
15/07/2003, 3:01 PM
from www.rte.ie

Blackburn have turned down Chelsea's latest offer for Irish winger Damien Duff. The London club made a new, improved bid to buy the player this morning but the figure on offer is still believed to be short of the £17 million that Rovers desire.

Duff is one of the most sought-after players in the Barclaycard Premiership - Liverpool tried to sign him but were put off by the fee and Manchester United have also been linked with him. This was Chelsea's third bid for the player.

Seamus #1
15/07/2003, 5:00 PM
Originally posted by Estar
Dermot Keely says when he was Duffers teacher he advised him to do his Leaving Cert, it was more important than going to England.

I too would always emphasise the importance of education.

The Sheliban
16/07/2003, 7:40 AM
Originally posted by Macy
Of my own, not on his own..... It was about white apathy at a time when the black population of England was rioting against the injustices of the time...

Look, I rarely get an opportunity to quote the Scripture, and if I want to twist the meaning I will.:)

BTW, he should have sung "A riot of our own" not "my own"

Oh, my God, I've just criticised Joe.:confused:

Macy
16/07/2003, 8:35 AM
Originally posted by Estar

Bet he's glad he took Devo's advise:D
How many more has Devo sent over and haven't made, who are no playing pub football with their dreams in shatters?

Plastic Paddy
16/07/2003, 12:49 PM
After four attempts, Chelsea and Blackburn have finally agreed a fee...

Now let's watch Chelsea test Duffer's resolve.

:) PP

John83
16/07/2003, 5:39 PM
I'm sure it will be hard.

Try to put yourself in Duffer's place. You're being offered a job with a huge starting bonus, double your current wage, a much more laid-back boss, and a team working with you who don't depend on you to do absolutely everything for them.

Try to hold him back.

tiktok
16/07/2003, 7:06 PM
....and you get to play champions league football

pete
16/07/2003, 7:19 PM
That Russian guy is trating real football like a game of Championship Manager.

:o

Slash/ED
16/07/2003, 9:29 PM
That Russian guy is trating real football like a game of Championship Manager.

:o

He'll bid for To Maderia next...

ian
17/07/2003, 7:19 AM
Northofthelee i think that you are a bit over the top with this duff thing going to a Chelsea. I am a chelsea fan and i go over a lot. As for duff i think that he could do a good job over there for chelsea and to better himself as a player because he will be around good players from around the world. Lets see what happens in a few days.

Macy
17/07/2003, 7:48 AM
Originally posted by ian
Northofthelee i think that you are a bit over the top with this duff thing going to a Chelsea. I am a chelsea fan and i go over a lot
You C18/ NF hun lover..... Quick Slivio Dante sort it out!!!

ian
17/07/2003, 8:11 AM
Macy every one has their team in England so let it be I just thought that he was a bit over the top whit all the C18 / NF stuff.

NorthoftheLee
17/07/2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Ian
Northofthelee i think that you are a bit over the top with this duff thing going to a Chelsea. I am a chelsea fan and i go over a lot. As for duff i think that he could do a good job over there for chelsea and to better himself as a player because he will be around good players from around the world. Lets see what happens in a few days.

Ian , I was only taking the ****.........out of the booing irish crowd...The point being that If you boo a player cause he plays for rangers then you might as well boo every player who plays in england...They are of course our number one enemy still* I have no problem with duff joining chelsea. who could refuse 70,000 a week.

*again not being serious here. just trying to get some perspective on all this booing rangers players

ian
17/07/2003, 11:57 AM
I agree with you on that one my friend but on this note there has been an Irish thing with chelsea for a couple of years in the season that chelsea won the leauge in 55 they had an Irish player playing with them called Dick Wittaker He used to play for St Mary's BC. Also Chelsea had Paddy Mulligan, Tony Cascarino, Andy Townsend, And Terry Phelan. I think that chelsea should have a good Irish player on the books at the club and in duff chelsea could have a good player. :ball:

Éanna
17/07/2003, 12:42 PM
I don't think Chelsea is a good move for him to be honest. I think staying at Blackburn for another year would have been the best thing for him.

Colm
17/07/2003, 1:18 PM
I think Chelsea would be the ideal move for Duff. I'd much rather see him play at Stamford Bridge than anywhere else in England.
He will be playing Champions league football and be playing around far better players than if he were to remain at Blackburn.
I think Chelsea will win something next year and this can only be good for Duff and Ireland.

Junior
17/07/2003, 2:15 PM
Originally posted by Colm
I think Chelsea would be the ideal move for Duff. I'd much rather see him play at Stamford Bridge than anywhere else in England.
He will be playing Champions league football and be playing around far better players than if he were to remain at Blackburn.
I think Chelsea will win something next year and this can only be good for Duff and Ireland.

Chelsea still have to qualify for the CL, there are some decent teams in that 3rd qualifying round!

Grp AC Milan - holders 97.155
ESP Q3 RC Deportivo La Coruña 98.769
ESP Q3 RC Celta de Vigo 86.769
ITA Q3 S.S. Lazio 106.155
ENG Q3 Newcastle United FC 51.170
ENG Q3 Chelsea FC 70.170
GER Q3 BV Borussia Dortmund 70.566
FRA Q3 Olympique de Marseille 49.734
GRE Q3 AEK Athens FC 56.391
HOL Q3 AFC Ajax 54.749
TUR Q3 Galatasaray SK 78.495
POR Q3 SL Benfica 30.791
RUS Q3 FC Lokomotiv Moskva 49.520
CZE Q3 AC Sparta Praha 49.975
SCO Q3 Rangers FC 50.187
UKR Q3 FC Dynamo Kyiv 55.291
BEL Q3 Club Brugge KV 44.250
AUT Q3 FK Austria Wien 13.687
SUI Q3 Grasshopper-Club 33.125

Plus thise that qulaify from Q2

tiktok
17/07/2003, 4:15 PM
from www.eleven-a-side.com

The price is "stupid" - Duffer

Prospective Chelsea newboy Damien Duff has spoken his mind on the massive transfer fee that has been agreed between his current club, Blackburn Rovers, and the London cash-splashers.

Rovers accepted a fourth offer, worth more than £17m, from Chelsea for Duff on Wednesday after turning down previous bids of £12m, £15m and £16m from the Stamford Bridge outfit.

Duff is set to begin discussions with Chelsea later today but the 24-year-old Dubliner, renowned for his easygoing modesty, revealed his opinion on the size of the fee that had been agreed by the respective clubs.

"It is a stupid price with the way the game has gone," he said. "But at the end of the day, it is all about money with football directors."

Greenbod
17/07/2003, 4:48 PM
Originally posted by Junior
Chelsea still have to qualify for the CL, there are some decent teams in that 3rd qualifying round!

Grp AC Milan - holders 97.155
ESP Q3 RC Deportivo La Coruña 98.769
ESP Q3 RC Celta de Vigo 86.769
ITA Q3 S.S. Lazio 106.155
ENG Q3 Newcastle United FC 51.170
ENG Q3 Chelsea FC 70.170
GER Q3 BV Borussia Dortmund 70.566
FRA Q3 Olympique de Marseille 49.734
GRE Q3 AEK Athens FC 56.391
HOL Q3 AFC Ajax 54.749
TUR Q3 Galatasaray SK 78.495
POR Q3 SL Benfica 30.791
RUS Q3 FC Lokomotiv Moskva 49.520
CZE Q3 AC Sparta Praha 49.975
SCO Q3 Rangers FC 50.187
UKR Q3 FC Dynamo Kyiv 55.291
BEL Q3 Club Brugge KV 44.250
AUT Q3 FK Austria Wien 13.687
SUI Q3 Grasshopper-Club 33.125

Plus thise that qulaify from Q2

I believe Chelsea will be seeded and are not likely to meet any of the sides mentioned above.

Junior
18/07/2003, 7:44 AM
Originally posted by Greenbod
I believe Chelsea will be seeded and are not likely to meet any of the sides mentioned above.

True, I didn't quite pick that up!!!

There will be 14 Q2 games (Per Uefa.com) + 18 teams that automatically go in at Q3, So I'm guessing that 4 of the Q3 teams are not seeded. Definitely, not as daunting for Chelsea as I first suspected, but still a few teams with decent european experience they would probably like to avoid

i.e Rosenborg, CSKA Moscow, Anderlecht, 4 unseeded teams in the first list.

However, I'd expect Chelsea to go through to the Group stage, which is great for Duff (should he sign!!!)

MTK Hungária FC (HUN) v Winners match 7
Winners match 1 v PFC CSKA Sofia (BUL)
Winners match 3 v Celtic FC (SCO)
Winners match 6 v SK Slavia Praha (CZE)
Winners match 2 v FC Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR)
MŠK Žilina (SVK) v Maccabi Tel-Aviv FC (ISR)
Winners match 4 v Rosenborg BK (NOR)
NK Maribor (SLO) v NK Dinamo Zagreb (CRO)
PFC CSKA Moskva (RUS) v Winners match 5
AFC Rapid Bucuresti (ROM) v RSC Anderlecht (BEL)
FK Partizan (YUG) v Djurgårdens IF (SWE)
Wisla Kraków (POL) v Winners match 9
CH (DEN)* v Winners match 8
Winners match 10 v Grazer AK (AUT)

tiktok
18/07/2003, 8:31 PM
from www.eleven-a-side.com

Duff awaiting Man U intervention – report

Chelsea target Damien Duff may be about to turn down a move to Chelsea – providing boyhood idols Manchester United step in to take him to Old Trafford, according to a morning newspaper report.

Duff’s advisers met with Chelsea representatives on Thursday to thrash out the finer details of the 24-year-old’s £17m move from Blackburn Rovers.

However, with United manager Sir Alex Ferguson – a long-term admirer of Duff – set to lose out on a £20m move for Brazilian World Cup winner Ronaldinho, he could be about to change the focus of his attention to the Irish international.

The Irish Daily Mirror claims that Duff has informed friends that he would welcome a move from the Old Trafford giants, as it would allow him to remain in Lancashire, where he is happy to be in residence.

John83
21/07/2003, 9:41 AM
Manchester United have officially denied that they have made a bid for Duff, or that they plan to do so. Pity really, I was kinda hoping to see Duffer in a Man U jersey. Chelsea will do though.

NigeSausagepump
21/07/2003, 12:35 PM
Strikes me as something of a double edged sword.

If he goes to Chelsea and doesn't prove to be an instant sucess, the fans could get on his back a la Gronkjaer and Zenden last season. Not sure being Irish would be of great benefit in winning over some sections of the Chelsea faithful either.

If he goes to Utd, I can see him being 'injured' ahead of friendlies and appearing with increasingly less frequency in an Ireland shirt. Which would be fantastic for the legion of Dublin cab drivers who are "United trough and trough", but have no interest in Ireland "after what dey did to Keano, and because dey play crap football", but less fantastic for Ireland fans.

John83
21/07/2003, 3:12 PM
Originally posted by Silvio Dante
We don't need Duffer for crappy meaningless friendlies anyway. The less all players play of them the better in my opinion....

I can't be agreeing with Silvio Dante. I can't... :eek: :o

I happen to believe that Duff is better than either Gronkjaer or Zenden. Besides, with Le Saux now goen to Southampton, it's a straight choice between Duff and Gronkjaer for the left wing. He'll get plenty of games, given how injury-prone they both are.

NigeSausagepump
21/07/2003, 3:37 PM
Originally posted by Silvio Dante
We don't need Duffer for crappy meaningless friendlies anyway. The less all players play of them the better in my opinion....

No.......
Or "meangingless" second leg world cup qualifying games either probably.

Hell, we don't need him full stop. Lets bring back Tony Galvin.

John83
21/07/2003, 4:36 PM
http://www.football365shop.com/store/thumbNail.asp?size=200&image=/store/catalog/duffski_detail.gif

It's official! Duffer's just signed for Chelsea. Wayne Bridge has also joined them, with LeSaux moving the other way.