PDA

View Full Version : FourFourTwo 50 Best Football LeaguePlayers

tetsujin1979
24/03/2008, 9:12 PM
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet.
There are a few Irish lads in the Fourth Annual FourFourTwo Top 50 Football League Players

Keith Andrews is 38th, winning the League Two Player of the Year award

Lee Trundle is 31st
Liam Lawrence is at 29
Jonathan Walters came in at 27
Andy Keogh is at 18
Wes Hoolahan is 14th
David Norris is 12th
Clinton Morrison is 7th

In addition, Richie Partridge, Lee Frecklington and David Bell are listed in the "Best of the Rest"

Razors left peg
24/03/2008, 9:19 PM
Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet.
There are a few Irish lads in the Fourth Annual FourFourTwo Top 50 Football League Players

Keith Andrews is 38th, winning the League Two Player of the Year award

Lee Trundle is 31st
Liam Lawrence is at 29
Jonathan Walters came in at 27
Andy Keogh is at 18
Wes Hoolahan is 14th
David Norris is 12th
Clinton Morrison is 7th

In addition, Richie Partridge, Lee Frecklington and David Bell are listed in the "Best of the Rest"

Dont really know much about Lee Frecklington, anyone think will he ever be good enough for top level?

Pablo
24/03/2008, 11:10 PM
i thought Trundle was a Scouser? From England like...

Razors left peg
24/03/2008, 11:15 PM
Declared for Ireland ages ago

Lionel Ritchie
25/03/2008, 7:42 AM
Declared for Ireland ages ago

His "declarations" notwithstanding has it been established beyond doubt that he's eligible?

Shedender81
25/03/2008, 8:48 AM
No Mention of Owen Garven ?

livehead1
25/03/2008, 9:55 AM

If I remember correctly everytime he is brought up you spout the same sh*te; you got nothing better to do with yourself or something??

dr_peepee
25/03/2008, 10:21 AM
No Mention of Owen Garven ?

Yeah!! I notice that too. Or Chris McCann for that matter.. No harm to have them below the radar for now i think.

bogwarrior
25/03/2008, 11:44 AM
I thought David Norris was a homosexual politician?!:p

youngirish
25/03/2008, 12:00 PM
It's Jay Tabb's omission more so than Garvan or McCann that surprises me. Despite Coventry being dodgy in recent months he has been excellent for them this season in both the league and the cup.

Andy Keogh is suspiciously high at 18th. Looks like the journo is only taking into account the last few Wolves games. He was hardly setting the world alight beforehand.

In fairness livehead Lee Trundle is rubbish. Again him getting as high as 31 on that list makes me question how seriously it should really be taken. Are you still pushing for him to be included in an upcoming Ireland squad?

cavan_fan
25/03/2008, 12:34 PM
Seems to be a standard attackers bias on this. Who is No.1? Kevin Phillips?

Seagull-4-life
25/03/2008, 12:48 PM
Where's that irish lad at ispwich? alan lee is it? surely he deseves a place. and james o connor at burnley

elroy
26/03/2008, 8:09 AM
It's Jay Tabb's omission more so than Garvan or McCann that surprises me. Despite Coventry being dodgy in recent months he has been excellent for them this season in both the league and the cup.

Andy Keogh is suspiciously high at 18th. Looks like the journo is only taking into account the last few Wolves games. He was hardly setting the world alight beforehand.

In fairness livehead Lee Trundle is rubbish. Again him getting as high as 31 on that list makes me question how seriously it should really be taken. Are you still pushing for him to be included in an upcoming Ireland squad?

Didnt andy keogh win young player of the year in the championship last year??

Dr. Ogba
26/03/2008, 8:37 AM
Where's that irish lad at ispwich? alan lee is it? surely he deseves a place. and james o connor at burnley

3 lads from Ipswich should be there - Lee, Walters and Garvan. Not to mention Yeates at Colchester.

Remember looking at that entire list a while back and thinking that it was fairly poor so I wouldn't be taking it too seriously...

youngirish
26/03/2008, 9:14 AM
Didnt andy keogh win young player of the year in the championship last year??

Don't think so. It was Gareth Bale from my recollection. Keogh only played half a season for Wolves anyway last year.

tetsujin1979
26/03/2008, 9:31 AM
I might still have last year's winners somewhere at home - I tend to stockpile FourFourTwo - I'll have a look for it

dr_peepee
26/03/2008, 11:17 AM
In the small print at the start they say they removed Andy Reid after his move to Sunderland too....

abbeyvale
26/03/2008, 10:12 PM
In the small print at the start they say they removed Andy Reid after his move to Sunderland too....

Holland (Charlton), Scannell (Palace), Kiely (WBA), all having good seasons in my opinion!!!

SunderlandBohs
27/03/2008, 9:56 AM
No John Joe O'Toole of Watford there! Looks a decent player. No Sean Scannell of Palace either!

citizenerased
27/03/2008, 12:41 PM
Remember the season when Richie Partridge was voted the most valuable player in the championship(whe he was on loan at coventry, married to Micky Owens sister now I think)

dr_peepee
27/03/2008, 4:14 PM
Another thread there just reminded me that Anthony Gerard of Walsall is also in the top 50... His profile in the write up says he was capped for Ireland.. I don't remember that.. Anyone???

eirebhoy
27/03/2008, 4:23 PM
Yeh he played a few times afair but in the end I think he was found not to be eligible. I'm not 100% though.

tetsujin1979
27/03/2008, 4:37 PM
Another thread there just reminded me that Anthony Gerard of Walsall is also in the top 50... His profile in the write up says he was capped for Ireland.. I don't remember that.. Anyone???
I saw that too. Don't think he was ever capped at senior level, but he was in this U-18 squad in 2004: http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0419/ireland.html
When he went to get official documentation that he was eligible, it turned out he wasn't so it was left at that

jbyrne
27/03/2008, 4:46 PM
Scannell (Palace)

saw he was linked with aston villa in a british newspaper yesterday

youngirish
28/03/2008, 9:43 AM
saw he was linked with aston villa in a british newspaper yesterday

Some of the transfer speculation around Scannell has become a bit ridiculous. He's only 17 and has only played a handful of games for Palace. While he looks promising he has hardly set the world alight thus far. He'd be much better remaining where he is for the next 2-3 years and getting as much opportunities at regular football.

boovidge
30/03/2008, 2:02 PM
I saw that too. Don't think he was ever capped at senior level, but he was in this U-18 squad in 2004: http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0419/ireland.html
When he went to get official documentation that he was eligible, it turned out he wasn't so it was left at that

how did he do that? Surely you know if you have an Irish born grandparent or not? :confused:

tetsujin1979
30/03/2008, 2:54 PM
how did he do that? Surely you know if you have an Irish born grandparent or not? :confused:
From what I've been told, when he went to check it out, it turned out it was his great-grandparents that were Irish, not his grandparents.

Did some searching on the Independent's archive, he played 3 times for the U-18's in a tournament in 2004, and made the Irish team of the week
First game VS Turkey: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/u18s-bounce-back-177077.html
Second game VS Portugal: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/youths--oreillys-boys-shine-in-portugal-177225.html
Third game VS Norway: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/obrien-on-the-mark-for-u18s-479563.html

Team of the week: http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/irish-team-of-the-week-177392.html