PDA

View Full Version : Colin Hawkins

Aaron
24/03/2008, 8:06 PM
Is to be released by Coventry in May, dare say there will be a few clubs in for him. I'd like us to sign him but he will probably end up and Pat's, Bohs or Drogs

LeixlipRed
24/03/2008, 8:07 PM
This could be related to his injury though. Serious ankle injury supposedly

GavinZac
24/03/2008, 8:09 PM
Given our apparent budget expansion, you can add Cork City to the list - of all the pro clubs we probably need a centre back most. Not sure he's the answer but clean slates and all that...

pineapple stu
24/03/2008, 8:17 PM
Is that now every one of the players who left the eL this time last year back, with the exception of David Forde (twice farmed out on loan as he's not getting his game at Cardiff) and Gary Dicker (starring as Stockport equal a Football League win record and have promotion in their sights)?

What a difference a year makes...

Paddyfield
24/03/2008, 8:29 PM
Is to be released by Coventry in May, dare say there will be a few clubs in for him. I'd like us to sign him but he will probably end up and Pat's, Bohs or Drogs

He's from Galway and his family still live here so you never know....

LeixlipRed
24/03/2008, 8:58 PM
Is that now every one of the players who left the eL this time last year back, with the exception of David Forde (twice farmed out on loan as he's not getting his game at Cardiff) and Gary Dicker (starring as Stockport equal a Football League win record and have promotion in their sights)?

Dillon still going strong at Dundee United. Made round 50 appearances in the last 12 months

mrtndvn
24/03/2008, 11:40 PM
i seen him at a gym in Derry a 2 weeks after kenny was back

SligoBrewer
24/03/2008, 11:42 PM

You saw him at the gym?

SkStu
25/03/2008, 12:01 AM
Hawkins is muck, and has always been overrated. But having gone out with his neighbour a few years back i can exclusively reveal that he/his family owns Shetland ponies.

Theres your scoop.

adamcarr
25/03/2008, 12:17 AM

Alan Bennett is still over there, made a good few appearances for Soton and was very highly rated by their fans, also not all the players that went over failed either.

mrtndvn
25/03/2008, 12:20 AM
You saw him at the gym?

I saw him in the Jacuzzi after I had finished with the gym.

I asked him why he was here and he just said he was over to see someone.

I presume he was chatting to Kenny.

It was a JJB gym so if he was a member in england he's aloud to use his membership anywhere, so it wouldn't be that surprising to see him there.

LeixlipRed
25/03/2008, 12:56 AM
Hawkins is muck, and has always been overrated.

Rubbish. Hawkins was one of the best centre halves in the league. Maybe only behind Bennett

Stevo Da Gull
25/03/2008, 1:17 AM
One thing that I've noticed about Hawkins is that he gives away a lot of free kicks in dangerous areas. However he seems to be carrying a knock whenever I see him play.
I do still reckon he'd be a good signing for anyone in the league though.

SkStu
25/03/2008, 2:00 AM
Rubbish. Hawkins was one of the best centre halves in the league. Maybe only behind Bennett

Rubbish. Hawkins only plays to his ability when he's looking for a contract.

Candystripe
25/03/2008, 4:51 AM

Is Roy O' Donovan back as well?

gustavo
25/03/2008, 9:01 AM
Is Paul Keegan still over there?

Spoons
25/03/2008, 9:04 AM
What about Stephen Ward??..is he still over there ?

pineapple stu
25/03/2008, 9:13 AM
Alan Bennett is still over there, made a good few appearances for Soton and was very highly rated by their fans, also not all the players that went over failed either.
Ten appearances in four months? He's also so highly rated, they let him go and he's now at Brentford, in Division Three. But that does count as still being over there, I suppose! Forgot about him.

Which players went over and succeeded, do you reckon?

Is Roy O' Donovan back as well?
Never heard of him. :)

In my defence, I was thinking of the wave of players who left before the 2007 season, in the sudden upsurge of eL interest after the excellent European runs that year - Pat Kavanagh, Gary Dicker, Jason Byrne, David Forde, Danny Murphy, Trevor Molloy, Paul Keegan, Colin Hawkins, George O'Callaghan, even Stephen Kenny. O'Donovan left in August '07.

He's with Partick Thistle in Division One apparently; usually on the bench though. Good spot.

Hibs4Ever
25/03/2008, 10:09 AM
Hawkins won't end up at St Pats. They don't need him

adamcarr
25/03/2008, 11:35 AM
Ten appearances in four months? He's also so highly rated, they let him go and he's now at Brentford, in Division Three. But that does count as still being over there, I suppose! Forgot about him.

Which players went over and succeeded, do you reckon?

Alan Bennett made a mistake on his debut, didn't get a look in for ages then when he finally did he was brilliant, the fans loved him, he was voted onto the Championship team of the week as well. Reading ended the loan despite Soton's best efforts to keep him because of the African Nations Cup but never gave him a chance. The reason he is at Brentford is because Coppell used to manage there and it is a favour to his old club.

The like's of Georgie didn't fail either, The Ipswich fans rated him but he had a slight falling out with Magilton over an injury. He then went to Brighton where he started every game and ran the show. When George realised he couldn't be get a real chance at Ipswich, he refused to extend his loan and came home because he wants to be loved(the mans own words).

Danny Murphy started nearly every game last season since signoing for Motherwell, hegot MOTM against Celtic at Parkhead as well. Malpas was sacked and a new manager came in and had his own idea's. before Danny had even met the guy his squad number was taken off him. Danny sat on the bench for weeks before getting a loan move to Dunfermline where he was outstanding once again. As soon as Danny heard of City's interest hewanted to come home. There were offers from Swindon and Leeds(according to himself) but Danny wanted to come home.

How do you fail cross channel, if there are offers to keep you there but you choose to come home, is that failing?

Ceirtlis
25/03/2008, 12:06 PM
Alan Bennett made a mistake on his debut, didn't get a look in for ages then when he finally did he was brilliant, the fans loved him, he was voted onto the Championship team of the week as well. Reading ended the loan despite Soton's best efforts to keep him because of the African Nations Cup but never gave him a chance. The reason he is at Brentford is because Coppell used to manage there and it is a favour to his old club.

The like's of Georgie didn't fail either, The Ipswich fans rated him but he had a slight falling out with Magilton over an injury. He then went to Brighton where he started every game and ran the show. When George realised he couldn't be get a real chance at Ipswich, he refused to extend his loan and came home because he wants to be loved(the mans own words).

Danny Murphy started nearly every game last season since signoing for Motherwell, hegot MOTM against Celtic at Parkhead as well. Malpas was sacked and a new manager came in and had his own idea's. before Danny had even met the guy his squad number was taken off him. Danny sat on the bench for weeks before getting a loan move to Dunfermline where he was outstanding once again. As soon as Danny heard of City's interest hewanted to come home. There were offers from Swindon and Leeds(according to himself) but Danny wanted to come home.

How do you fail cross channel, if there are offers to keep you there but you choose to come home, is that failing?

Im sorry but this post is completley deluded. Bennett couldnt get a game in the second worst defence in the championship. His debut was more than one mistake it was an absolute shocker. The reason he is in league 2 is because it is more his standard than the championship.

Magilton didnt rate O'Callaghan as good enough simple as.

Murphy was dropped before the end of the season by Malpas. He didnt get a game under McGhee because he wasnt good enough.

neutrino
25/03/2008, 12:15 PM
Isnt is great we all build up players in the EL and herald them as worthy for the move cross channel - only to knock them down just as quick when they come back. English football is fickle - sometimes players arent up to standard but there's lots of other reasons why players end up coming back.

Ceirtlis
25/03/2008, 12:42 PM
Isnt is great we all build up players in the EL and herald them as worthy for the move cross channel - only to knock them down just as quick when they come back. English football is fickle - sometimes players arent up to standard but there's lots of other reasons why players end up coming back.

The reason in nearly every case is players arent good enough. Most of these guys it is their second time in England as well.

I dont personally care if they have made it in England and I am glad to have them back. It is just some people on this board will constantly bang on about Kevin Doyle and Shane Long as an indication of the leagues standard when there is guys coming back more often than not.

pineapple stu
25/03/2008, 4:17 PM
He then went to Brighton where he started every game and ran the show.
Ah now, I think you're taking liberties there. Going by Brighton Mad (not a very scientific source, granted, but better than nothing), he had more 5s than 8s and certainly didn't run the show. Didn't score once, for example, which I'd put down as a mark against an attacking midfielder/forward. Brighton fans were very happy to see the back of him.

Ceirtlis' post covers a fair few things I'd have noted too.

Terry
25/03/2008, 4:52 PM
Hawkins is muck, and has always been overrated. But having gone out with his neighbour a few years back i can exclusively reveal that he/his family owns Shetland ponies.

Theres your scoop.

hope you went into kelehans for a few pints when you were down?

Martinho II
25/03/2008, 9:02 PM

think hes at queen of the south...

SligoBrewer
25/03/2008, 9:14 PM

I saw him in the Jacuzzi after I had finished with the gym.

I asked him why he was here and he just said he was over to see someone.

I presume he was chatting to Kenny.

It was a JJB gym so if he was a member in england he's aloud to use his membership anywhere, so it wouldn't be that surprising to see him there.

At least you saw the chap, and not seen him.

adamcarr
25/03/2008, 11:18 PM
Im sorry but this post is completley deluded. Bennett couldnt get a game in the second worst defence in the championship. His debut was more than one mistake it was an absolute shocker. The reason he is in league 2 is because it is more his standard than the championship.

Magilton didnt rate O'Callaghan as good enough simple as.

Murphy was dropped before the end of the season by Malpas. He didnt get a game under McGhee because he wasnt good enough.

Bennett kept his place as soon as he was given a proper chance and started 12 games or so in a row before his loan ended. Southampton fans wanted to hold onto him. Your comment about him being League 2 standard shows a complete lack of knowledge on your part.

Id agree about Georgie to an extent, he wasn't good enough to be starting at Ipswich but he did a good job whenever he played for them.

Danny Murphy was injured for the last few months of last season, he was not dropped. Malpas tried to bring Danny to Swindon about a month ago but Danny wanted to come home.

adamcarr
25/03/2008, 11:24 PM
Ah now, I think you're taking liberties there. Going by Brighton Mad (not a very scientific source, granted, but better than nothing), he had more 5s than 8s and certainly didn't run the show. Didn't score once, for example, which I'd put down as a mark against an attacking midfielder/forward. Brighton fans were very happy to see the back of him.

Ceirtlis' post covers a fair few things I'd have noted too.
Georgie was played behind Hammond at Brighton, he was used as a Joey Gamble type player which didn't really suit him but he still showed what a class act he can be there. Brighton fans would have loved to hold onto him as well.

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?t=117696

Cymro
25/03/2008, 11:24 PM
What about Stephen Ward??..is he still over there ?

I think he is still at Wolves, but hasn't played in several weeks at least. I check their starting XI regularly now that Eastwood's a Welsh international, and Ward doesn't seem to be making it often. Nor does Eastwood though, for that matter, unfortunately.

SkStu
26/03/2008, 1:59 AM
http://www.thebohs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6703

Bohemian fans opinion on Hawkins...

:D

by the way Terry, i spent 3 years in college in Galway. Best three years ever. What a city, best city in Ireland. Got back there for a night too at christmas when i was home.

pineapple stu
26/03/2008, 3:58 PM
Georgie was played behind Hammond at Brighton, he was used as a Joey Gamble type player which didn't really suit him but he still showed what a class act he can be there. Brighton fans would have loved to hold onto him as well.

http://www.northstandchat.biz/showthread.php?t=117696
Sounds like they've gotten over it fairly quickly though (http://northstandchat.com/showthread.php?t=118578&highlight=o%27callaghan).

Cuntoid's an interesting word.

micls
26/03/2008, 4:04 PM

You're wrong. Southampton asked to keep him. Reading refused because of the African Nations Cup, but never used him.

yiddo
26/03/2008, 4:32 PM
You're wrong. Southampton asked to keep him. Reading refused because of the African Nations Cup, but never used him.

Benno is better off playing 1st team football anywhere rather than wasting his time playing reserve team football.
He's not good enough at premiership level but will do a job in the championship.

adamcarr
27/03/2008, 11:58 AM
Sounds like they've gotten over it fairly quickly though (http://northstandchat.com/showthread.php?t=118578&highlight=o%27callaghan).

Cuntoid's an interesting word.

They don't like him either do about 40% of city fans never mind the rest of the league, they're not doubting his footie ability.