PDA

View Full Version : Steve Finnan. Injured?

tetsujin1979
23/03/2008, 12:31 PM
Has a hamstring injury according to physioroom: http://www.physioroom.com/news/english_premier_league/players/210/steve_finnan_injury.html

jmurphyc
23/03/2008, 3:17 PM
He's been injured for a good while now. He's back now, but I don't think they wanted to throw him in in such a big game.

Razors left peg
23/03/2008, 4:39 PM
Cant see him havin much problem gettin back into that Liverpool team, Arbeloa is a very ordinary player

FarBeag
23/03/2008, 6:57 PM
Is he now? Not too bothered to be honest. The last I heard about him is that he jumped ship on us. Anyhow judging by the way Man U swept Liverpool away to-day lets hope for their sake he gets better quickly.

OwlsFan
24/03/2008, 9:10 AM
What's this doing on the Ireland thread since he's retired and doesn't want to play for us anymore :mad:? Should be World Football thread ;)

Razors left peg
24/03/2008, 1:59 PM
Considering there's thread for people like John Joe o Toole, Joe Lapira and Damien Delaney who have even less business with the Irish national team I think Finnan's ok.

Why does John Joe O Toole have less business being on here, he a current Irish under 21 international who has a good chance of playing in the Premiership next year

inexile
24/03/2008, 1:59 PM
he is an irish international, he has as much right to be here as anyone else

NeilMcD
24/03/2008, 2:11 PM
Considering there's thread for people like John Joe o Toole, Joe Lapira and Damien Delaney who have even less business with the Irish national team I think Finnan's ok.
What a stupid post.

RogerMilla
24/03/2008, 2:24 PM
John Joe o Toole, Joe Lapira and Damien Delaney

three people who actually want to play for ireland as opposed to finnan

FarBeag
24/03/2008, 3:29 PM

Ah. Not get any Easter eggs yesterday you spoilt little boy? Like others have pointed out these guys want to play for Ireland. On the other hand Mr. Finnan in case you need further reminding dose not, end of.

carloz
05/04/2008, 6:01 PM
He did indeed look very impressive today, doing one goal saving tackle on the line. I would think he has played himself into the team for Tuesdays match

Razors left peg
06/04/2008, 9:28 AM
this maybe a bit off topic but Im trying to remember when Steve Finnan ever stood out in a game for us and the only thing that really comes to mind is his cross for McAteers goal against Holland. I know hes a top player and most of his Irish career he was played out of position but no game that he showed his full class really comes to mind for me.

geysir
06/04/2008, 10:42 AM
this maybe a bit off topic but Im trying to remember when Steve Finnan ever stood out in a game for us and the only thing that really comes to mind is his cross for McAteers goal against Holland. I know hes a top player and most of his Irish career he was played out of position but no game that he showed his full class really comes to mind for me.
V Holland Sept 2001 :D

jmurphyc
06/04/2008, 1:18 PM

The thing is he rarely stand out, but if you were to rewatch his performances, he's very rarely come up against someone who continuously beats him and he is usually solid in games (the exception being Cyprus away). He just does the simple things well and very rarely has a man of the match performance.

carloz
07/04/2008, 1:23 PM
Id like to mention the name of Denis Irwin here. He rarely had a game where he stood out but he was always a dependable as they come. him and Finnan are very similar. Put it this way, how many games do you remember Finnan having a howler ala John O'Shea or Ian Harte.

Razors left peg
07/04/2008, 4:58 PM
Id like to mention the name of Denis Irwin here. He rarely had a game where he stood out but he was always a dependable as they come. him and Finnan are very similar. Put it this way, how many games do you remember Finnan having a howler ala John O'Shea or Ian Harte.

Thats true but I do remember coming away from games thinking that Irwin was brilliant... even remember some games where Gary Kelly was brilliant.I never have with Finnan I think.... but as u say at least he is dependable

tricky_colour
07/04/2008, 7:09 PM
Didn't Finnan supply the long ball for Niall Quin to head down for Robbie
Keane to smash past the German Keeper?

This is it
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/low/matches_wallchart/germany_v_rep_of_ireland/newsid_2018000/2018592.stm

Anyway Finnan is retired

jmurphyc
07/04/2008, 8:57 PM
Didn't Finnan supply the long ball for Niall Quin to head down for Robbie
Keane to smash past the German Keeper?

This is it
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/low/matches_wallchart/germany_v_rep_of_ireland/newsid_2018000/2018592.stm

Anyway Finnan is retired

Was it Finnan? I was under the impression that it was Cunningham from what I remember.

tricky_colour
07/04/2008, 10:08 PM
Was it Finnan? I was under the impression that it was Cunningham from what I remember.

It was Finnan, says so in the link 90(+2) mins, I remembered it as being Finnan,
he has always had the ability to deliver a ball as he shows time and
time again for Liverpool, but I don't remember too many (other than that one)
for Ireland.

It might have looked like a long hoof forward, but I am pretty sure he meant it,
I seem to remember him looking up, I guess he was aiming for Quinns head.
Anyway he it is on video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ITtluqbg80&feature=related

Also on here, I think the first one has the aspect ratio messed up, looks
like a 4:3 image has been stretched to 16:9 so it looks more like a cross
than a long ball forward.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mq-t-C6izbA&feature=related
Most of the clips barely show Finnan.

jmurphyc
07/04/2008, 10:36 PM
It was Finnan, says so in the link 90(+2) mins, I remembered it as being Finnan,
he has always had the ability to deliver a ball as he shows time and
time again for Liverpool, but I don't remember too many (other than that one)
for Ireland.

It might have looked like a long hoof forward, but I am pretty sure he meant it,
I seem to remember him looking up, I guess he was aiming for Quinns head.
Anyway he it is on video.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ITtluqbg80&feature=related

Also on here, I think the first one has the aspect ratio messed up, looks
like a 4:3 image has been stretched to 16:9 so it looks more like a cross
than a long ball forward.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mq-t-C6izbA&feature=related
Most of the clips barely show Finnan.

Wow, I've watched the Robbie Keane goal hundreds of times and yet I'd forgotten that it was Finnan. Amazing...

Razors left peg
07/04/2008, 11:00 PM
Twice in recent times when things were going horribly wrong for the team he came out of his defensive shell and poured forward with passion. First time away to San Marino where he was unlucky not to score, then in Stan's last game where he salvaged a point with a magnificent strike.

Though I think his contribution is better highlighted not by the number of times he's failed to stand out for impressing, but for the number of times he's stood out for poor play. It just doesn't happen.
How many times have people around here complained about poor calls from McShane, Harte, Andy O Brien, O Shea, Kilbane etc. Even played out of position Finnan has never let us down.

Ah yeah Im agreeing with with that hes a top player... I was just saying that hes not a player that ever leaves a lasting impression after a game, which as u say is probably a good thing for a defender

Morbo
08/04/2008, 9:13 AM
[quote=Ciaran;915507]Twice in recent times when things were going horribly wrong for the team he came out of his defensive shell and poured forward with passion[quote]
Passion? it was the last few seconds of the game, the fullbacks getting forward is a no-brainer when you are 1-0 down with seconds left on the clock, he just did what any fullback should do, showed good technique with the finish but I fail to see what it had to do with passion

Irish_Praha
08/04/2008, 6:54 PM
Not even included in the squad for Liverpool tonight against Arsenal.

brine3
08/04/2008, 9:26 PM

I thought he was our best player at the 2002 World Cup. Despite carrying an injury picked up on a parking lot in Saipan.