View Full Version : Cillian Lordan

Risteard
22/03/2008, 12:44 AM
Why is he starting?
Mulcahy,
Darren Murphy,
Sullivan,
even Kelly and Colin T.

Does anyone think he's up to the required standard?

pete
22/03/2008, 12:52 AM
I thought he did well at Rovers & also fairly solid against Drogs. He had a poor game tonight though, did not look on the pace. Mulcahy was dropped after some terrible mistakes at Rovers. Kelly was terrible last season.

What is Matthews doing having Mulcahy, Ryan & Sullivan on the bench? Is Eddie O'Sullivan his mentor? Ryan offers nothing the other two don't cover already. :confused:

Risteard
22/03/2008, 12:58 AM
I wasn't at Tolka so didn't see Mulcahys errors either but thought Lordan was a burden on the team against Drogs.
Going on little with Mulcahy but I think he's looked reliable regardless of distribution etc. He's an experienced campaigner.
Likewise with Sullivan. I think he's played centre-back. He looks a fine player.
But If Mathews is thinking that he wants to give a younger(ish) head a decent chance, fair enough but Darren Murphy must be demented.
I wouldn't fault Cillian for effort at all but would you start him?

Dodge
22/03/2008, 8:24 AM
Mulcahey (as much as I love him) isn't a centre half. He's just not quick enough. His engine is magnificent, and in midfield his pace isn't shown up

alansmithccfc
22/03/2008, 6:32 PM
Can't fault him for effort but as I've aready said in other forums today, he's not up to it at this level.

Give Darren Murphy a chance or Sullivan or Mulcahy

GavinZac
22/03/2008, 6:37 PM
He's been told to play centre back and not make mistakes. He's playing centre back, and not making mistakes. Granted, he's lumping the ball away at every given opportunity but then so are 2 or 3 other players including Dan Murphy.

Sullivan isn't a centre back. Colin T can't be playing such a pivotal role week-in, week-out, and it would be pretty short-term blinkered to do so.

It must be pretty obvious at this point that Darren Murphy isn't a solution given that neither Mathews nor Richardson have had any time for him. The truth of the matter is that he player 3 or 4 games 10 months ago and ran around like a man demented - which was all very impressive at the time, because effort is exactly what our team lacked at that time.

A face
22/03/2008, 8:53 PM
Damien O'Rourke when fit and Darren Murphy could sort out this position. Lordan to be honest is better on the wing anyway. But if you found fault with Lordan and dont mention others then you are clearly singling him out. He was not anywhere near the worst player on the pitch against Derry, and has done reasonably well in the other games. I think he is being made a scapegoat at this stage.

Was Lordan to blame because the whole team went to sleep 20 mins from the end v Derry .... i'll tell you the answer .... NO

alansmithccfc
22/03/2008, 9:36 PM
Damien O'Rourke when fit and Darren Murphy could sort out this position. Lordan to be honest is better on the wing anyway. But if you found fault with Lordan and dont mention others then you are clearly singling him out. He was not anywhere near the worst player on the pitch against Derry, and has done reasonably well in the other games. I think he is being made a scapegoat at this stage.

Was Lordan to blame because the whole team went to sleep 20 mins from the end v Derry .... i'll tell you the answer .... NO
If Matthews didn't resort to defensive tactics;)

A face
23/03/2008, 12:45 AM

Why he didn't push on to score another goal i dont know. Put it beyond doubt. Its not like there weren't chance, poor substitution it has to be said.

pete
23/03/2008, 11:36 AM

Lordan has played centre back in the last 3 games & only 2 goals conceded so he can't be that bad. Our problem as a team is not in defence. As mentioned above Danny Murphys distribution was hopeless on Friday (lost count of the sliced hoofs) but no threads on him.

Friday was the first time City have lead (for more than 2 minutes) in a league game & negative tactics followed. Hopefully Matthews has realised we don't have the players to contain teams for half a game & the fans don't want it either.

Les Fluer
23/03/2008, 6:12 PM
He's been told to play centre back and not make mistakes. He's playing centre back, and not making mistakes. Granted, he's lumping the ball away at every given opportunity but then so are 2 or 3 other players including Dan Murphy.

Sullivan isn't a centre back. Colin T can't be playing such a pivotal role week-in, week-out, and it would be pretty short-term blinkered to do so.

It must be pretty obvious at this point that Darren Murphy isn't a solution given that neither Mathews nor Richardson have had any time for him. The truth of the matter is that he player 3 or 4 games 10 months ago and ran around like a man demented - which was all very impressive at the time, because effort is exactly what our team lacked at that time.

I agree with pretty much all of that. People are very quick to dismiss Lordan even though he has not yet had a particularly poor game at centre half. I think once he finds his rhythm, he and Murray will have a fantastic partnership.

On the Darren Murphy issue. He had a decent run in a few games in June. Since then he has not figured for either Rico or Mathews. Are both managers wrong? Sure he looks a decnet player, but i will take a pro managers view on him a little better than I do an ordinary fan.

Granted, he's lumping the ball away at every given opportunity

Mathews is a long ball manager. Thats why he plays such long balls IMO.

GavinZac
23/03/2008, 6:20 PM
Mathews is a long ball manager. Thats why he plays such long balls IMO.I think, or rather, I hope they are both on a learning curve. Mathews has to realise City simply cannot sit back - any time we do, we fail, we concede. Lordan is looking to cement a place in the team, which is understandable since he's been always highly rated since 2004 but has never gotten a long stint in the team. He's playing pinball football in that anything that comes near him, he is repelling it up the field or out of play; that should look very familiar to anyone who saw Dan Murray in his earlier years. Murray got his fair share of criticism too but look at him now, he's far more confident in his ability to take it down and pass it off rather than just heading it out or volleying it out. There is the hope - that once he's got his place and feels confident, he'll stop.

Risteard
24/03/2008, 10:01 PM
He was not anywhere near the worst player on the pitch against Derry,

Hoggy had probably the worst game I've seen him play (which wasn't too disastrous). As regards Lordan being the worst player on the pitch, he's lucky Delaney and Hutton were playing because it's pretty certain our second centre-back (whoever they may be at the mo) is Citys weakest link.

Methinks we need a Longford fan to clear up this Sullivan CB question.

Did he not play there in pre-season?

GavinZac
24/03/2008, 10:05 PM
Did he not play there in pre-season?no, he played at left back up in cabra anyway

Blue-Army
24/03/2008, 10:06 PM
Lads sorry if it's a bit off topic but, what happened to Cathal Lordan? Did he retire or what?

GavinZac
24/03/2008, 10:10 PM
Lads sorry if it's a bit off topic but, what happened to Cathal Lordan? Did he retire or what?

spoke to him before christmas, he said he was going to drop out of football because he didnt want to go part time. when mathews came in, he offered lally and cathal lordan trials for another full time contract. lally is gone to cobh now, dunno about lordan

DmanDmythDledge
24/03/2008, 10:13 PM
Methinks we need a Longford fan to clear up this Sullivan CB question.
I'm almost certain he's never played CB. Started off as a striker as a schoolboy, then became a right winger, then eventually RB at UCD.

Slightly off topic, but I think Cork would be better playing Sully right wing, moving Georgie upfront and dropping O'Flynn/Mooney. Georgie provides very little from the right.

yiddo
25/03/2008, 9:21 AM
Lordan suffers the same fate as all utility players in that he doesn't have a definite position. Is he a full back, a wide man or a centre half? If he gets a run of games at centre half he might just make the position his own. At the moment he's no worse than the other candidates and is probably better defensively than most of them.

Back playing with Ballincollig.

pete
25/03/2008, 12:30 PM
Cathal Lordan played for City in the recent Futsal tournament. I heard he was one of the better City players.

yiddo
28/03/2008, 10:06 AM
Cathal Lordan played for City in the recent Futsal tournament. I heard he was one of the better City players.

Official site refers to him as "Former Cork City player" in this article today http://www.corkcityfc.ie/main.php?action=newsLink&headlineID=179

bellavistaman
30/03/2008, 11:03 AM
Cillian Lordan looks to be out of his depth lads, we should have exploited him alot more last night, but we were too far back he only had to deal with 1 player all night back 4 vs kieran o reilly they had alot of time to deal with things. Now lads wasnt kevin murray outstanding..

Allstar
30/03/2008, 2:51 PM
Couldnt agree with ya more, quality in the air, first to the tackle, heart on the sleeve kinda performance!!

ramsfan
30/03/2008, 5:34 PM
thats cos he is somewhere he is appreciated ye should have looked after him more when ye had him

GavinZac
30/03/2008, 5:51 PM
thats cos he is somewhere he is appreciated ye should have looked after him more when ye had him
He got far too many chances under Pat Dolan. You can't get away with the likes of Coleman or Murray for too long, to be honest.

We were atrocious, Mathews clearly doesn't know how to send out a team to break down a very defensive side, which is surprising as he must have seen a few teams do it to Longford. Two holding midfielders against a team with no intention of pressing for any length of time is a waste.

rambler14
30/03/2008, 5:53 PM
Kieran O'Reilly ran Lordan all over the place.
Kevin Murray was outstanding and was without a doubt the best player on the pitch.
My cousin came down for the match and was very impressed with Carey, Guthrie and Murray. He couldn't understand how City left them go.

GavinZac
30/03/2008, 6:01 PM
Kieran O'Reilly ran Lordan all over the place.
Kevin Murray was outstanding and was without a doubt the best player on the pitch.
My cousin came down for the match and was very impressed with Carey, Guthrie and Murray. He couldn't understand how City left them go.

Carey was injured at the wrong time; Horgan came through and I doubt many would debate that Horgan was a vital part of the back 5 that won us a league with the best defense in the country. No doubt that he has talent but is from an earlier era of players, e.g. Greg O'Halloran, Mulconroy.

Guthrie should've been retained, in my opinion, though whether he is able for pro football is obviously open for debate.

Murray isn't good enough at all and had plenty of time to prove it.

Don't confuse our toothless offence which has for the most part failed to score (bar O'Callaghan) against any team this season with an exceptional defense.

depor
30/03/2008, 7:12 PM
its pathetic, this business of saying we were defensive. we had just as many if not more chances than city. devine saved city again, the save on the line, the save on his left post, as well as the super save to prevent ramblers winning with a goal to the top corner in the last minute of play.

GavinZac
30/03/2008, 7:16 PM
its pathetic, this business of saying we were defensive. we had just as many if not more chances than city. devine saved city again, the save on the line, the save on his left post, as well as the super save to prevent ramblers winning with a goal to the top corner in the last minute of play.

Of course you were defensive; you had more clear cut opportunities, I'll give you that, but that can happen if a team is dominating possession, they can get caught on the break. Case in point, Arsenal going two down to Bolton at the weekend. Unfortunately we didn't have an Adebayor on the bench, we had a Denis Behan.

I'm not denying ye had opportunities to win it that you didn't take, but if offered a point before the game ye would have taken it.

depor
31/03/2008, 4:46 PM
ye would have taken the draw too. and im absolutely certain mathews would, especially when he seen conor meades effort heading for the top corner in the dying moments:D

GavinZac
01/04/2008, 2:01 AM
ye would have taken the draw too. and im absolutely certain mathews would, especially when he seen conor meades effort heading for the top corner in the dying moments:D
No we wouldn't; and if Mathews would, then it won't be long before he realises he is at odds with the support.

However, someone thought it would be a good idea to give him a nice 3 year contract, while the bank have given him the option to come back at any point in the next 3 years. Essentially, if he screws up, he'll be loaded. Not exactly pressure, is it?

razor
01/04/2008, 7:40 AM
Kieran O'Reilly ran Lordan all over the place.Yeah but he's not going to do much damage without the ball.

My cousin came down for the match and was very impressed with Carey, Guthrie and Murray. He couldn't understand how City left them go.As Gav said Carey was unlucky, Murray was a midfielder when he left City and Guthrie had Murray and Benno in his way.

Risteard
02/04/2008, 1:24 AM
Guthrie only left this year though.

razor
02/04/2008, 8:27 AM
Guthrie only left this year though.He was on loan at Rovers then broke his leg and then went to Ramblers last season so while he was a City player he hadn't been around the club for a long time.

Risteard
15/04/2008, 7:31 PM
He's improved a bit in recent games imo.

A face
15/04/2008, 7:59 PM
He's improved a bit in recent games imo.

To be honest, i dont really listen a lot of the stuff said about him. I'll look at how he does and the role/impact he has on the game for myself and judge then. He does a great job and puts in huge effort, while other dont put in the same and not a word is said.

Someone people simply have it in for the guy and will say anything to get their point across to the point you could say they are lying. City fans have done that for years, always need someone to give out about.

ramsfan
17/04/2008, 9:50 PM
lordan has done ok, never really saw him as a centre back but give him time he could be good

SÓC
21/04/2008, 9:28 PM
Lordan has fantastic pace, its why he was able to play on the right wing.

The foundation of the excellent Benno Murray partnership was Murray headed everything out of the sky and Benno chased after everything in behind using his pace.

I'm not suggesting Lordan is as good as Benno but a similar setup is working thus far. Some people do seem to have it in for him though for whatever reason. Ever since he came in during the intertoto run in '04 he's been invaluable to us

yiddo
21/04/2008, 9:34 PM
Lordan has fantastic pace, its why he was able to play on the right wing.

The foundation of the excellent Benno Murray partnership was Murray headed everything out of the sky and Benno chased after everything in behind using his pace.

I'm not suggesting Lordan is as good as Benno but a similar setup is working thus far. Some people do seem to have it in for him though for whatever reason. Ever since he came in during the intertoto run in '04 he's been invaluable to us

thought he was shocking in 04 and Greg should have played instead of him but anyway I think he's found his position at centre half. He's getting an extended run there something he's never got in any other position and is by far our best option as a partner for Dan. People forget that it took Benno a long time to settle into the position.