PDA

View Full Version : McGrath signs for Rovers

Neil
10/07/2003, 11:34 AM
McGrath signs for Rovers

Irish midfielder John McGrath has signed for Doncaster Rovers after being released by Premiership side Aston Villa, for whom he made just three substitute appearances since joining them from Belvedere in 1999.

McGrath spent the majority of last season on-loan to Conference side Dagenham & Redbridge and, ironically, the 23-year-old played for the Daggers against his new employers in the Conference promotion play-off final defeat.

The former Irish under-21 international, who was rumoured to have been a target for eircom League pair Longford Town and Cork City in recent months, is delighted to have his immediate future sorted, and admitted that he was impressed by Rovers’ style of play.

"I knew the type of football they played, a good attacking style getting the ball on the ground and playing it around. This impressed me as it was the type of football I had been training to play at Villa," he said.

"I would really like to taste promotion this season with Rovers after seeing their celebrations after the play-off final last year. I am really looking forward to playing regular first team football."
eleven-a-side.com

sadloserkid
11/07/2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by corkcityfan1
Muppet, thinking the conference is better than the EL and Doncaster are bigger than City..leave hime off,its his loss!

Lay off the guy for crying out loud. Doncaster get a bigger gate than city, have a fully professional set-up and were able to offer him a bigger contract. And just to prove that you have no clue what you're talking about... Doncaster are in the third division, not the conference... Are you one of the guys who thinks Dom Foley is stupid for choosing a Portugese top-flight club over City too? :rolleyes:

Troy.McClure
11/07/2003, 12:07 PM
They are in division 3 now!!!

If he wants to play against the likes of Carslile, well off with him.

Real ale Madrid
11/07/2003, 7:12 PM
He will get more money playing for Doncaster. Would you take a wage cut in your job?

Rebel101
16/07/2003, 12:23 AM
I think the glamour of saying your playing over in England came into and of course the money. :)