PDA

View Full Version : Mick Wallace stepping down?

ForzaForth
20/03/2008, 8:30 AM
Just to record that, in this week's Wexford local papers, Mick Wallace has indicated that he intends to give up management of the Eircom team shortly and concentrate on the underage teams where he has been so successful.

Obvious candidate to replace him is Noel O'Connor.

oldyouth
20/03/2008, 8:36 AM
It would appear that way, though it is worded very vaguely as to when. Perhaps he let it out there to test the reaction. He's in Italy with the young lads at the minute. I think he will use the time to reflect on the situation. The response from the players and tomorrow might have a big bearing on it.

Bluebeard
20/03/2008, 1:23 PM
That would be a shame. While I would say that Wallace has faults as a National League manager, he seems to be learning from his errors and he brings a badly needed bit of colour to the First (even if it is pink;))

passinginterest
20/03/2008, 1:36 PM
I think if you look back to when the whole thing was first announced Wallace always stated that he was only going to oversee the early stages of the club as first team manager. I think he would have liked to get three full seasons and have the side well established in mid-table.

I haven't seen the article, so can't really comment on it, but Mick has always been fairly straight to the point and if he thinks it'll benefit the club for him to step aside I've no doubt that he will. I wouldn't be too keen on O'Connor taking over though, he's not exactly renowned for his lovely style of football!

I think Wallace might well see out the rest of the season anyway. Especially if the team can get a result against Kildare on Friday night. Confidence seems to be very low in the camp at the moment, Wallace, and the lads, need a bit of a boost.

oldyouth
20/03/2008, 1:47 PM
Brief quote from the article below

''I have no doubt whatever about what I'm trying to do at Ferrycarrig and although it is completely centred on the younger age groups and geared towards providing a healthy community structure for the region, it is important that we have a senior team for the younger lads to aspire to

Managing that senior team is probably suited to a person of a different frame of mind than my own.

I did say from the start that I would do it for a few years in an effort to get the right ethos and philosophy in place, but the emphasis has to be on the 'few'.......

Santry_Goonshow
20/03/2008, 5:25 PM
In a way he would serve your club better as the underage manager. After all remember your ethos - look after the roots and the leaves will flourish!

L37Ultra
20/03/2008, 6:35 PM
Obvious candidate to replace him is Noel O'Connor.

:eek::D:D

Magicme
20/03/2008, 6:50 PM
Is Pat Dolan still with the club on his "consultancy" basis?

oldyouth
20/03/2008, 9:12 PM
What we have is Mick, Pat Dolan, Noel & Seanie O'Shea in the dugout at every game. Perhaps that's where the problem lies.

Santry_Goonshow
20/03/2008, 11:56 PM
Ah, the nature of the problem revealed.

Pat Dolan in the dugout = nobody else in the dugout, nowhere to sit if they were...

Risteard
21/03/2008, 12:49 AM
A bit of a stir now I have to confess lads but . . . . . . . .

A Wexy buddy of mine heard that the separate training sessions with the coaches thing is a bit of a disaster. Along the lines of Dolan preparing them for one type of way to boss the game and utilise set-pieces and that Wallace comes along before the weekend and preaches a totally different set of tactics and style.
Any similar talk about the town?

Splurge
21/03/2008, 11:23 AM
As long as Wallace leaves the post by his own free will i dont mind, i've only seen the youths play once, and ill miss tonight because of work, yes i work nights, but i did like the way he set his team up and was looking forward to seeing more, playing with a sweeper is such a breath of fresh air from the flat back 4.

Monkfish
23/03/2008, 11:33 PM
Is Pat Dolan still with the club on his "consultancy" basis?

What is the story with him? turned up at Jackman Park 30 mins into Wexfords game with us and fecked off back home cause he wasent allowed park inside the ground.

passinginterest
24/03/2008, 1:59 AM
What is the story with him? turned up at Jackman Park 30 mins into Wexfords game with us and fecked off back home cause he wasent allowed park inside the ground.

At this stage I get the feeling he's doing more harm than good. All sorts of stories of Mick, Pat and NO'C taking separate training sessions and trying to set up the team in totally different ways. Dolan has had busts ups with a few players, stepping over the line with his remarks, from what I can gather a few lads have been less than happy. The camp generally just doesn't seem right at the moment, Wallace's selections are puzzling too, with the players and fans questioning them at this stage. Wallace needs to decide soon if he's stepping aside and will have to make it very clear who's in charge.

ForzaWexford
25/03/2008, 5:15 AM
Mick is used to coming home for the weekend, taking a couple of training sessions and heading back up to Dublin on a Sunday afternoon. He's being doing it for 15 years or so. He's still doing it with the underage teams. And then during Easter he brings them out to Italy for a week.

And he's very good at it. The U18's are in the semi-finals of the FAI challenge cup against Salthill Devon. Pats play Dundalk in the other semi. The intercounty team are in the quarter-final of the All-Ireland against South Tipperary. We've won that competition twice in the last 3 years.

He's not used to management in the League of Ireland though. And he doesn't make many training sessions during the week due to his business. So it's not an ideal situation to be in. I'm not sure though if, for talk's sake, appointing Noel O' Connor as manager would make much of a difference. For now, we're still going to be a bunch of inexperienced junior footballers.