PDA

View Full Version : First Manager to be Sacked

Pages : [1] 2

finnpark
19/03/2008, 12:26 PM
I think its between Gormely, Fenlon and Cousins, probably Cousins :)

I think that Pat Scully, Stephen Kenny, Stephen Henderson and Paul Hegarty are the best managers in the league and have proven themselves to be very good. I don't rate Fenlon, Cousins or McDonnell.

Paddyfield
19/03/2008, 12:32 PM
And who will be the first to get a job?
Roddy, Rico or Sean Connor?

WoodquayBoy
19/03/2008, 12:47 PM
If Cousins does go/gets booted, I'd love to see Rico get the gig, expecially as he has lost the tache

deecay
19/03/2008, 1:06 PM
I think that Pat Scully, Stephen Kenny, Stephen Henderson and Paul Hegarty are the best managers in the league and have proven themselves to be very good. I don't rate Fenlon, Cousins or McDonnell.
Back to the farm for you

pete
19/03/2008, 1:17 PM
Cousins has to be favourite if his team hanging around the lower half of the table in a few weeks. Home form also affects fans view more.

WoodquayBoy
19/03/2008, 1:20 PM
Well, considering our next games are against Pats (A), Rovers (H), Drogheda (A) and Cork (H), he could be goosed as can't see us taking too much from those games, meaning we'd have 1 point from 6 games. But hey, as long as we keep showing "character" we'll be all right. (snort)

Jerry The Saint
19/03/2008, 1:26 PM
I think that Pat Scully, Stephen Kenny, Stephen Henderson and Paul Hegarty are the best managers in the league and have proven themselves to be very good.

Yes, the two games they have been in charge for in this league have really proven that they're the special ones...

holidaysong
19/03/2008, 1:41 PM
Yes, the two games they have been in charge for in this league have really proven that they're the special ones...

League of Ireland = Premier Division + First Division.

Spoons
19/03/2008, 1:59 PM
First Division=??????:D

GavinZac
19/03/2008, 2:04 PM
First Division=??????:D

I think they're starting that this summer, its mostly for the premier's reserve sides, and some culchie teams aswell

deecay
19/03/2008, 2:08 PM
Hopefully that useless nob Cousins will get sacked and Galway's season will turn into dissary and they will go down
Great post,id love to see them go down

MyTown
19/03/2008, 2:13 PM
Great post,id love to see them go down

Confirms what we always knew. You're just a small town near Leitrim. And yes, the feeling is entirely mutual.

The Lilywhites
19/03/2008, 2:13 PM
Hopefully that useless nob Cousins will get sacked and Galway's season will turn into dissary and they will go down

I hope he stays. More chance of them going down if he does, IMO.

But he's probably favourite to get the boot first :(

WoodquayBoy
19/03/2008, 2:14 PM

The reason Cousins would get the sack is because the season would already be in disarray, so either:
a) hope he gets sacked, but that could only mean an improvement in fortues
or
b) hope he stays, which means United are in with a good chance of going down!

WoodquayBoy
19/03/2008, 2:26 PM
don't be so mean

6yardpunisha
19/03/2008, 2:31 PM
don't be so mean

this thread should really go to Galway forum:D

eamo1
19/03/2008, 2:49 PM
its not his fault,
one day its the "pitch",
the next its the "weather",
the next its "that we "showed character"
the next its "unlucky".
what will be next,climate change,religious fundamentalists and stock market prices???????:).

Dodge
19/03/2008, 2:53 PM
Cousins has to be favourite if his team hanging around the lower half of the table in a few weeks. Home form also affects fans view more.

Agreed. Which is why matthews is favourite for me. No goals in Cork won't go down well in the shiny new shed.

Mr A
19/03/2008, 2:58 PM
I think this could be a particularly busy year in terms of managerial departures. There are probably 6 teams who may realistically end up in the relegation mire and 6 with some level of title ambitions. That means that a lot of clubs will be in crisis mode at some point in the season as a run of bad results will see them in a relegation spot or out of contention at the top.

Pete Mahon is as safe as houses come what may I think and I'd imagine Kenny and Scully are safe unless there's a complete disaster and Hegarty and Henderson are probably relatively ok as well- the former is on a 3 year deal and we could never afford to sack him (he could resign though if things fall asunder) and Henderson has so little budget that it would be insane to sack him. Matthews, Fenlon, McDonnell and Doolin are probably vulnerable (especially the last 2) if things don't go well for them as all have spent a fair few quid. Cousins to me is the most likely, but I don't think GUFC will sack him, which in my opinion could be to their cost. Gormley could also come under pressure if things don't pick up for them.

deecay
19/03/2008, 3:00 PM
Confirms what we always knew. You're just a small town near Leitrim.
Great to see theres still people who want to post like a child

rambler14
19/03/2008, 6:08 PM
If things keep going as they are then I can see Alan Matthews or Paul Doolin being the first to go.

gufct
19/03/2008, 6:15 PM
What a stupid thread after 2 games just shows the influence of the Premiersh*t.

Grey Boy
19/03/2008, 6:35 PM
Bray don't put pressure on managers. Devlin would still be there had he not answered Irelands call.

Grey Boy
19/03/2008, 6:35 PM
Forgot to mention thats why Gormley is vey safe.

wonder88
19/03/2008, 7:20 PM
Fenlon and Doolin are both over-rated and don't see either winning the title, and if they finish mid-table will get the bullet. If Cousins gets Galway anywhere near mid-table he'll be manager of the year (shows how little we expect of him) but i don't he'll be sacked. Doolin followed by McDonnell (Kerr to take over)

superfrank
19/03/2008, 8:04 PM
I doubt Eddie will be sacked. He's not untouchable but Bray are not the biggest name and you have to ask the question that if Gormley was sacked, who would replace him?

The club's gone through major changes since Devlin left and I think Eddie isn't finished putting his own mark on the club. We've had Devlin's hand on the club for over 15 years and now that someone's beginning to change it, they should be given time and support. That said being relegated would be a disgrace.

Only1Rovers
19/03/2008, 8:13 PM
Confirms what we always knew. You're just a small town near Leitrim. And yes, the feeling is entirely mutual.

Great to see theres still people who want to post like a child

Well when you put things into perspective, Sligo is a relatively small town in comparison with Dublin, Limerick, Cork and even Galway.

And from consulting my AA road map, it informs me that in fact Sligo is close to the county of Leitrim (not a bad part of the country either).

But what is of importance, is the town of Sligo (small as it maybe and with a close proximity to Leitrim) is home to the Rovers, who are a much more accomplished and will more than lightly finish significantly higher in the league than Galway (a quite large town not a million miles from Clare).

sligoman
19/03/2008, 8:38 PM
What a stupid thread after 2 games just shows the influence of the Premiersh*t.It'd be stupid if they were all new managers but most are not. We all know Cousins among 1 or 2 more had to get off to a good start this season considering how poor they were last season so obviously it'll carry over, the pressure doesn't just stop when the season ends.

A face
19/03/2008, 8:58 PM
If things keep going as they are then I can see Alan Matthews or Paul Doolin being the first to go.

I think there is a bit of realism around Cork, some people not happy with the appointment initially but he's here now and things aren't looking as bad as people were forecasting.

V Drogs, i thought we played fairly well to be honest and if we had converted those two chances (which we really should have to be honest) then you wouldn't be able to shut City fans up today.

All we are short is goals, and we have the ability there so i'm not worried. Matthews came in to what people were describing as a depleted squad last year and made some good signings but he will need time to find his feet like any new manager. To call for his head without 15-20 games gone would be crazy and totally knee jerk reaction .... and i'm saying that in 15-20 games time we wont be having this conversation because we'll be well on the way by then.

H Derry City
A Cobh Ramblers
H UCD
A Galway United

Next four games are fairly handy for us. I think we'll beat Derry at home but if not our next three games are nothing we should be worried about to the point we'll sack out manager.

Alan Matthews, safe as houses

mrtndvn
19/03/2008, 10:43 PM
It's a toss up between Fenlon and Cousins

SligoBrewer
19/03/2008, 10:58 PM
Bohs won't get rid of another manager so fast. Has to be Cousins.

mrtndvn
20/03/2008, 1:06 AM

What about Paul Cook?

His signings have been awful, if it wasnt for an excellent team that Connor put together you would be fighting relegation.

pixiehead
20/03/2008, 2:35 AM

If your just gonna post pure muck then dont bother. If youre pea brain has nothing constructive to add then stay off your Parents computer like a good little boy

Terry-Lander
20/03/2008, 8:46 AM
If your just gonna post pure muck then dont bother. If youre pea brain has nothing constructive to add then stay off your Parents computer like a good little boy

Love it:D:D:D

pete
20/03/2008, 8:50 AM

I don't see any evidence Bohs have learnt from all the other times.

Galway United would be very happy with where Sligo have finished in recent seasons?

Sam_Heggy
20/03/2008, 8:55 AM
It's a toss up between Fenlon and Cousins

That image is just disturbing :(

WoodquayBoy
20/03/2008, 9:13 AM
Galway United would be very happy with where Sligo have finished in recent seasons?
I certainly would - 6th for me would be a great finish this year.

Redie
20/03/2008, 9:20 AM
Originally Posted by mrtndvn

What about Paul Cook?

His signings have been awful, if it wasnt for an excellent team that Connor put together you would be fighting relegation.

One of the drawbacks of encouraging new supports to the eircom league is that you get comments like this from people who don't know what they are talking about.

saint morrissey
20/03/2008, 9:47 AM
Fenlon and Doolin are both over-rated and don't see either winning the title, and if they finish mid-table will get the bullet. If Cousins gets Galway anywhere near mid-table he'll be manager of the year (shows how little we expect of him) but i don't he'll be sacked. Doolin followed by McDonnell (Kerr to take over)

johnny mac is obviously under pressure to deliver but not because kerr is waiting to take his job. its no secret that kelleher wanted kerr as manager but kerr said he wouldnt do it, thats why the kelleher deal stalled for a good few months. if johnny mac fails to deliver and gets the sack kerr would probably step in as manager but only until we found a replacement.

Redie
20/03/2008, 10:00 AM
That should have read....

One of the drawbacks of encouraging new supporters to the eircom league is that you get comments like this from people who don't know what they are talking about.

gufct
20/03/2008, 10:23 AM
One of the drawbacks of encouraging new supports to the eircom league is that you get comments like this from people who don't know what they are talking about.

Would that be Concrete or Steel Supports. Its amazing how interested Sligo fans are in the goings on at GUFC.

Jerry The Saint
20/03/2008, 10:35 AM
if johnny mac fails to deliver and gets the sack kerr would probably step in as manager but only until we found a replacement.

I don't even think he'd go that far, he'd probably take on a bigger role but I think Croly would be given the interim manager's job. He's very highly regarded.

ndrog
20/03/2008, 10:40 AM
For anyone who thinks doolin will get the sack you are seriously wrong .FAI cup , 2 setanta cups and a leauge title .Weve lost one game and drawn the other . Drama queens take note .He has one of the safest jobs in Irish football. FACT.

Dodge
20/03/2008, 10:45 AM
I don't even think he'd go that far, he'd probably take on a bigger role but I think Croly would be given the interim manager's job. He's very highly regarded.

Spot on. Kerr won't be manager of Pats ever again

mrtndvn
20/03/2008, 11:11 AM

Well I hope your learned your lesson and you now know to give your posts a quick reread before trying to post a smart comment.

Could you post up the good signings that Cook as made please?

Hes still in a job because hes been able to get the best out of Connors signings, if he loses any more of those, I would be worried for poor wee Sligo.

Red4Eva
20/03/2008, 11:25 AM
Well I hope your learned your lesson and you now know to give your posts a quick reread before trying to post a smart comment.

Hes still in a job because hes been able to get the best out of Connors signings, if he loses any more of those, I would be worried for poor wee Sligo.

boco, butler, ventre, Mauro Alexandre de Silva Almeida, anto murphy

we'll wait and see with doherty and moore

forza rovers
20/03/2008, 3:05 PM

Hes still in a job because hes been able to get the best out of Connors signings, if he loses any more of those, I would be worried for poor wee Sligo.i dont think so most of them went to bohs with him.

Redie
20/03/2008, 4:16 PM
Originally Posted by mrtndvn

I do re-read my posts before submitting them but I still make silly mistakes which is probably down to some brain wasting disease or the like so we will just have to live with them!

The bulk of Paul Cook's signings were made in the close season and have only played two competative games so to pass judgement on them now would be pointless but like Red4Eva I would be very optimistic about Boco, Butler, Ventre, Mauro Alexandre de Silva Almeida and Anto Murphy while Doherty, Jennings and Moore are also useful additions to the squad.

As for losing Sean Connor's signings only Adam Hughes falls into that category and being able to improve inherited players by 100% after taking over a club mid way through a season is surely not a failing of any manager?

villarover
20/03/2008, 6:13 PM
And who will be the first to get a job?
Roddy, Rico or Sean Connor?
Now how in there right minds would give Sean connor a job.... he an over hyped has been! Hope he enjoying been on the Dole and getting a few euros for talking more ****e on a monday nite.

Boo_Boy
20/03/2008, 6:23 PM
I do re-read my posts before submitting them but I still make silly mistakes which is probably down to some brain wasting disease or the like so we will just have to live with them!

The bulk of Paul Cook's signings were made in the close season and have only played two competative games so to pass judgement on them now would be pointless but like Red4Eva I would be very optimistic about Boco, Butler, Ventre, Mauro Alexandre de Silva Almeida and Anto Murphy while Doherty, Jennings and Moore are also useful additions to the squad.

As for losing Sean Connor's signings only Adam Hughes falls into that category and being able to improve inherited players by 100% after taking over a club mid way through a season is surely not a failing of any manager?

lads yer not making him sound like a better player because he's got a big name;)

Mauro Almeida will be fine in the future..