PDA

View Full Version : Game in Switzerland

pcarolan
09/07/2003, 11:17 PM
is there anyone travelling independent of travel packages.
would like to know what you are planning.
have applied to FAI for tickets.
what is the nearest airport, train station etc...anyone already done some research on this?

many thanks
paul

tiktok
09/07/2003, 11:40 PM
don't know too much about ticketing i'm afraid, but i used to live in switzerland and Basle is a nice sized town (about the same as cork), it's got a nice city centre but is pretty industrial on the outskirts, like cork a lot is pharmaceutical.

It's pretty much on the french-swiss-german meeting point (the Basel airport is in france). It's easy to get to though and everything runs on time due to swiss efficiency. You can get cheapish flights via stanstead and gatwick and the airport is very close to the city, bus runs often.

check out www.baseltourismus.ch, the swiss trip should be good, country and the people are great.

lopez
10/07/2003, 9:56 AM
I got a Ryanair flight to Strasbourg from Stansted for £60 which is 1 1/2 hours by train. Basle flights are quite expensive now. So are Zurich.

Tickets? Unless we lose to Russia, they'll be difficult to get. Maybe you should try joining a golf club. They always seem to have the odd spare for these big games.:D

Mayo_Bhoy
10/07/2003, 4:15 PM
Ya, Strasbourg seems the best option. We’re flying into Amsterdam for a couple of days R&R (ahem) before getting a train down to Basel. Will stay there on Sat night though nothing booked yet…hotels are mad dear. Staying in Strasbourg Sunday night and flying back Monday. Six of us going but I think tickets will be a prob. Easy get them for last two away games – Lisbon and Moscow but we’re only getting 3,000 for this game and it’s a biggie. **** it the crack will be good there anyway even if we don’t all get tics.

tiktok
10/07/2003, 7:50 PM
ryanair to geneva from stanstead is an option too, although it's a little further by train.

Neil
11/07/2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
ryanair to geneva from stanstead is an option too, although it's a little further by train.
Are ya sure?

My computer don't give me that route a tall like...

gspain
11/07/2003, 8:05 AM
Aer Lingus to Frankfurt €160 incl all taxes out friday back sunday - train from Frankfurt airport to Basle takes 2 hours 47 minutes.

lopez
11/07/2003, 9:34 AM
Easyjet go to Geneva from Stansted. Trouble is Swiss railways are mucho expensive (three hours from Basle) so unless you intend hiring a car or touring Switzerland, not worth it.

Neil
11/07/2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by gspain
Aer Lingus to Frankfurt €160 incl all taxes out friday back sunday - train from Frankfurt airport to Basle takes 2 hours 47 minutes.

Where is that flying from? Cork?

Neil
11/07/2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by lopez
Easyjet go to Geneva from Stansted.
not on my internet they don't!

Gatwick or Luton yeah, but not Stansted

gspain
11/07/2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Neil
Where is that flying from? Cork?

Dublin I'm afraid.

Mayo_Bhoy
11/07/2003, 10:52 AM
not on my internet

What! You have your very own internet. Seriously you're messing up somewhere on easyjet.com Definitely fly Stansted - Geneva

lopez
11/07/2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Neil
not on my internet they don't!

Gatwick or Luton yeah, but not Stansted

Apologies! Got my airports mixed up. :)

Neil
11/07/2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Mayo_Bhoy
What! You have your very own internet. Seriously you're messing up somewhere on easyjet.com Definitely fly Stansted - Geneva
They don't! Check there again on your internet....

Mayo_Bhoy
11/07/2003, 11:18 AM
Sorry. You're right. I'm all muddled as i've been flat out the last few days sorting flights etc. Diff airlines and airports are spinning roynd my head.

Have you tried Ryanair from Stansted to Strasbourg Fri-Sun for €100 approx. S'burg is only 1.5 hours by train and much cheaper than train form Geneva.

Neil
11/07/2003, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Mayo_Bhoy
Have you tried Ryanair from Stansted to Strasbourg Fri-Sun for €100 approx. S'burg is only 1.5 hours by train and much cheaper than train form Geneva.
Thats the route I'm going with alright.
Just booked it.
Rent-a-car from Strasbourg Airport for 130 snots from Fri -> Sun.
See ye there:ball: :cool: :ball:

gspain
11/07/2003, 12:29 PM
Be careful renting a car as you must pay to use motorways in Switzerland - you buy an annual pass and it costs approx €50.

I believe you can avoid it by keeping off the motorways and Basle is on the border but just oen thing to be careful of.

Trains are great on the continent - nothing like the 1950's carriages from CIE and the timetable means something.

Neil
11/07/2003, 12:31 PM
I got a Ryanair flight to Strasbourg from Stansted for £60 which is 1 1/2 hours by train.
Have you looked into the train option?
I was going to rent a car but is there a train that runs from Strasbourg airport to the City and onto Basel?

lopez
11/07/2003, 12:56 PM
Neil. You're right.

5 mins 'au pied' from the arrivals hall according to the Strasbourg Airport web site. SNCF.com has details of times to Basel (you may have to change at Mulhouse).

Junior
14/07/2003, 7:43 AM

Gspain,

Im doing that route myself. 3 of us from Manchester and another few from Dublin (I think they are on a 7am ish flight from Dublin on the Fri morning).

I think we are planning on staying in Frankfurt on the Friday night and getting the train to Basel on Saturday morning, then heading back to Frankfurt Sunday afternoon.

What are your plans, have you any accomodation booked?

gspain
14/07/2003, 8:28 AM
No accomodation booked yet and I'm not certain that I can go yet due to other matters but if I go I'll head to Switzerland for the U21 game on the friday night (no venue yet) and stay down there.

Trains leave from Frankfurt airport so probably better to head off from there.

Junior
14/07/2003, 9:58 AM
No accomodation booked yet and I'm not certain that I can go yet due to other matters but if I go I'll head to Switzerland for the U21 game on the friday night (no venue yet) and stay down there.

Trains leave from Frankfurt airport so probably better to head off from there.

you can get the train from the Main Bahnhof. The bevvy will be much cheaper in Germany and I fancy the craic in Frankfurt for a night.

Seamus #1
15/07/2003, 5:14 PM
Do I have any chance of getting a ticket from somewhere other than the FAI or a tout who will charge a squillion swiss francs?

I would like to go but I fear the answer to the above might be no.

Please help:confused:

lopez
15/07/2003, 7:53 PM
Joder! I went to book up a flight for an amigo to Strasbourg from Stansted and those Ryanair cabrones have dropped the price to 35p each way. After me paying £12:50.:(

I **** on their mothers' milk.:eek:

Neil
15/07/2003, 10:56 PM
Joder! I went to book up a flight for an amigo to Strasbourg from Stansted and those Ryanair cabrones have dropped the price to 35p each way. After me paying £12:50.:(

I just realised that too!
And I paid €14.99 and €19.99!

What accomodation have people arranged in Basel?

Junior
16/07/2003, 8:49 AM
Originally posted by Seamus #1
Do I have any chance of getting a ticket from somewhere other than the FAI or a tout who will charge a squillion swiss francs?

I would like to go but I fear the answer to the above might be no.

Please help:confused:

I have been informed that the tickets for the home support will go on sale via the website below. I have checked and they are not on there yet (though tickets for their friendly against France are on there). Unfortunately its in German/French, but Im sure you could work it out, might be worth a go.

Im keeping an eye on it, as I'll be trying it should I not get lucky from the FAI. Ill post any updates on here.

Jnr

Junior
16/07/2003, 8:50 AM
sorry, forgot the link www.ticketcorner.ch

ian
16/07/2003, 6:24 PM
Lads on the sunday world on sunday there was a number on it. I gave them a call and the price for the trip is 489 euro and the match ticket is another 40 euro. The web site is www.celtichorizontours.com that is if you have that kind of cash to spend lads.

gspain
17/07/2003, 8:11 AM
Originally posted by ian
Lads on the sunday world on sunday there was a number on it. I gave them a call and the price for the trip is 489 euro and the match ticket is another 40 euro. The web site is www.celtichorizontours.com that is if you have that kind of cash to spend lads.

F.A.I. are charging €21 for a match ticket.

Be very very careful booking these overpriced trips with guaranteed tickets. I don't believe the F.A.I. are going to favour Travel Agents over fans. Many of these guys run trips and then try and source tickets. you'd be better off getting a cheap Ryanair or Aer Lingus flight and paying a tout if you have to - still saving money.

pineapple stu
17/07/2003, 7:08 PM
Originally posted by ian
I gave them a call and the price for the trip is 489 euro and the match ticket is another 40 euro.

Just to back up gspain's point - that's a complete rip-off. I'm heading over with five others - we have flights, accommodation for six days and a car for the same period for E400.

Presume the chartered trip is the usual three day affair?

pineapple stu
17/07/2003, 7:08 PM
That's 400 quid each like...not that cheap!

Neil
17/07/2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Just to back up gspain's point - that's a complete rip-off. I'm heading over with five others - we have flights, accommodation for six days and a car for the same period for E400.

6 nights in Basel, AND flights and a car for €400???
Where are ye staying?

Mine is working out at just less than €300 (incl. flights and train) for 2 nights stay

pineapple stu
18/07/2003, 12:38 PM
Dunno - one of my best friends is from Basel and is arranging the whole thing. It's a hostel as far as I know. Plus she works in Hertz and might be getting a deal on the car...

konichiwa
24/07/2003, 10:46 AM
I got a return flight from Stansted to Zurich for £80stg. Then it's 60swiss francs for a return train from Zurich Basel which aint too bad