PDA

View Full Version : Treble for Rangers in Scotland?

Pages : [1] 2

OwlsFan
19/03/2008, 6:56 AM
That home defeat for Celtic looks in the cup by Aberdeen looks as if it's cleared the way for a clean sweep by the Gers. Does this mean the push for Strachan?

jebus
19/03/2008, 10:12 AM
That home defeat for Celtic looks in the cup by Aberdeen looks as if it's cleared the way for a clean sweep by the Gers. Does this mean the push for Strachan?

Possibly, in some ways it would be harsh, given that he has a good deal of success with Celtic, but I don't think he's ever really won the fans over though and to be fair, with the amount of money Celtic have at their disposal in comparison to Rangers they should be walking it at this stage

Poor Student
19/03/2008, 12:12 PM
There's three Old Firm games left, two at Celtic Park and Rangers have to compete on four fronts so I don't think the league is over yet. Celtic have better individuals but Smith has welded a far more solid team together. You couldn't rule Aberdeen out of winning the cup either. In spite of all Rangers' success this season they still aren't that good a team and Dundee United should have beaten them in the league cup final.

OwlsFan
19/03/2008, 3:45 PM
There's three Old Firm games left, two at Celtic Park and Rangers have to compete on four fronts so I don't think the league is over yet. Celtic have better individuals but Smith has welded a far more solid team together. You couldn't rule Aberdeen out of winning the cup either. In spite of all Rangers' success this season they still aren't that good a team and Dundee United should have beaten them in the league cup final.

To be fair to them they've progressed further than any English team in the UEFA Cup. Smith has made them a very hard team to beat.

eirebhoy
19/03/2008, 5:38 PM
Celtic have just so many players low in confidence atm. Naka played alright last night and was Celtic's most creative player but last season he would have absolutely dominated a game like that. Donati, McDonald, Caldwell, Naylor, Vennegoor and even Hinkel aren't mentally 100% atm.

Sheridan
19/03/2008, 5:42 PM
The thread for Scotch football is here: http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=28672&page=66

CvilleRovers
19/03/2008, 6:37 PM
rangers are an awful side who play "anti football".i still think that we can beat them in the 3 remaining fixtures we have against them but thats if chesney can restore any sort of confidence in a few of our players.end of the season whether we win the league or not its time for chesney to walk

Marked Man
19/03/2008, 6:43 PM
The thread for Scotch football is here: http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=28672&page=66

There's nothing about whisky-drinking footie there.

superfrank
19/03/2008, 8:36 PM
Rangers drew 1-1 with Partick Thistle tonight. Not much on there.

OwlsFan
20/03/2008, 9:45 AM

I did look for it but gave up at Page 35. I notice it is on Page 66!!

OwlsFan
11/04/2008, 9:14 AM
The UEFA Cup is well and truly the Champions' League orphan child. I searched for the Rangers' game last night and no sign on Sky or the other main channels but eventually found it on TV3 with Yah Like Conor McNamara (soccer's version of Rhyl Nugent) commentating with Tony Cascarinnnnooooo.

Very enjoyable game with Sporting pressing and pressing in the second half and Rangers defending really well and then hitting them on the break. Alas, the sort of performance one rarely sees from Celtic in Europe away from home. Walter Smith say impassively watching it with Ally McCoist doing all the gesticulating until Rangers scored and old Walter then went ballistic. Florentina up next.

Macy
11/04/2008, 9:19 AM
The UEFA Cup is well and truly the Champions' League orphan child. I searched for the Rangers' game last night and no sign on Sky or the other main channels but eventually found it on TV3 with Yah Like Conor McNamara (soccer's version of Rhyl Nugent) commentating with Tony Cascarinnnnooooo.
ITV4, Free To Air on satellite, had two UEFA Cup games last night, including Rangers afaik.

cheifo
11/04/2008, 9:21 AM
Getafe-Bayern was great crack.Highlights were on ITV last night.Rangers will be without Thomson and Ferguson for their next match against Fiorentina.

reder
11/04/2008, 9:22 AM
Florentina up next.

That will be a cracking tie. If Rangers play as well as they did last night in the away leg, they will go through. I would love to see them getting though.

jmurphyc
11/04/2008, 9:27 AM
Fiorentina may have too much attacking ability for Rangers to stop. I predict Fiorentina, but with Rangers' resilient displays who knows?

gspain
11/04/2008, 11:31 AM
I thought TV3's coverage was good last night much improved compared to their previous efforts for the champions league and Internationals. I watched most of the game on TV3 and only a little bit on ITV4.

Great game too and what a gutsy performance by Rangers although Whittaker will never ever ever score a goal like that again.

The smart money would have to be on Fiorentina but you never know.

drinkfeckarse
11/04/2008, 12:58 PM
It's a winnable tie for Rangers but Ferguson will be a major loss for the first leg and Thomson too to a lesser extent. Can't help but feel their fixture congestion will have an impact on the tie. They are basically playing a game every 3 or 4 days from here on in.

TheBoss
11/04/2008, 1:04 PM
I personally think that Rangers have an uphill task to beat Fiorentina, they are better than Rangers everywhere on the pitch, it would have to be Rangers best ever preformances to beat them

Plastic Paddy
11/04/2008, 9:09 PM
That will be a cracking tie. If Rangers play as well as they did last night in the away leg, they will go through. I would love to see them getting though.

Why? Curiosity? I don't ever imagine that their fans would be so magnanimous in return, certainly not the ones I know (and I know a few).

:ball: PP

Junior
11/04/2008, 11:24 PM
Hard as it is to say, it was a classic european away performance from Rangers. Something Celtic havent done since our own uefa run in 2003.

When you look at the teams left in it, they do have a really good chance please God Mutu and Co can put an end to their dreams!!! Hopefully the heavy match load will start to cause them problems both domestically and in europe.

Pauro 76
12/04/2008, 1:27 PM
wasnt too sure where to put this but Queen of the South have beaten Aberdeen 4-3 in Scottish Cup semis. I dont follow Scottish football but had no idea about QOS in a semi final! The Doonhamers is an awesome nickname for a club too.

pineapple stu
12/04/2008, 2:45 PM
If Rangers beat Partick and St Johnstone, QoS are in Europe too. Third year in a row a lower level Scottish club would have made Europe (after Gretna and Dunfermline)

superfrank
12/04/2008, 2:51 PM
If Rangers beat Partick and St Johnstone, QoS are in Europe too. Third year in a row a lower level Scottish club would have made Europe (after Gretna and Dunfermline)
They won't be. SFA changed the runner-up rule because the lower league sides were playing poorly in Europe.

QoS will have to win the Cup to qualify for UEFA.

pineapple stu
12/04/2008, 2:56 PM
Oh yeah; forgot about that. What a jip! Just screws the Doonhammers over.

NeilMcD
12/04/2008, 3:16 PM

Very enjoyable game with Sporting pressing and pressing in the second half and Rangers defending really well and then hitting them on the break. Alas, the sort of performance one rarely sees from Celtic in Europe away from home. Walter Smith say impassively watching it with Ally McCoist doing all the gesticulating until Rangers scored and old Walter then went ballistic. Florentina up next.

Sky have not shown a Uefa Cup game in years. Why were you checking Sky

Junior
12/04/2008, 3:34 PM
Sky have not shown a Uefa Cup game in years. Why were you checking Sky

eurosport?

NeilMcD
12/04/2008, 5:35 PM
Eurosport is not Sky.

scottish_bohs
13/04/2008, 8:59 AM
What a day for Queens - my local team! A true fairytale. Flew over for the day and it as probably one of the best days of my life.

Can't wait for the final now...

Just to clarify though, Queens WILL get into Europe if they finish runner-up to Rangers. We don't have to win it... but after yesterday, we just might!!!

Scotland have changed it so thatthe 4th placed team inthe league gets the uefa spot, but that rule only comes into place next season.

From the bbc... The fourth placed team in the SPL next season bags a Uefa Cup spot. But this season that's not the case. Rangers have already secured a Champions League place. If they reach the final to play Queens then the Dumfries side will be in Europe whether they win the cup or not. But, of course, Rangers still have a long way to go before they get to the final... The SFA applied too late this season to have the rule changed.

micls
13/04/2008, 5:24 PM
What a day for Queens - my local team! A true fairytale. Flew over for the day and it as probably one of the best days of my life.

Can't wait for the final now...

Just to clarify though, Queens WILL get into Europe if they finish runner-up to Rangers. We don't have to win it... but after yesterday, we just might!!!

Scotland have changed it so thatthe 4th placed team inthe league gets the uefa spot, but that rule only comes into place next season.

From the bbc... The fourth placed team in the SPL next season bags a Uefa Cup spot. But this season that's not the case. Rangers have already secured a Champions League place. If they reach the final to play Queens then the Dumfries side will be in Europe whether they win the cup or not. But, of course, Rangers still have a long way to go before they get to the final... The SFA applied too late this season to have the rule changed.

Fantastic. Itd be great to get QOS in the Uefa :D

OwlsFan
20/04/2008, 9:11 PM
Lady luck continues to shine on Ibrox. A disputed penalty earns them a draw and then they win the penalty shoot out in extra time to have the honour of facing mighty Queen of the South in the Final. Tough luck on St. Johnstone.

pineapple stu
21/04/2008, 4:17 PM
QoS fans fairly nervous for two and a bit hours though!

Would have liked to see two First Division sides in the Cup final to stuff it up the SFAI for trying to not let them into Europe.

drinkfeckarse
22/04/2008, 7:45 AM
QoS will have to win the Cup to qualify for UEFA.

I saw a piece on SSN yesterday where they were interviewing Queens striker Scott Dobbie and the interview centred around the fact that he would need his passport for the European games now that Rangers have made the final?? Not that I regard SSN as a bible but....:confused:

OwlsFan
25/04/2008, 8:26 AM
This 4-5-1 is ruining the game. Rangers played it at home to Florentina last night and just played for a 0-0. Results wise it had worked for them in Europe but it was boring to watch and even their fans got a bit frustrated with it. Total opposite to Celtic who go for the throat of the opponent at home in Europe and makes for exciting stuff.

Marked Man
25/04/2008, 12:49 PM
4-5-1 can work when you're playing against a team who will come on to you, enabling you to score on the break. But why would anyone think that would happen when playing a home European leg against an Italian team who'd be more than happy with 0-0?

drinkfeckarse
25/04/2008, 2:16 PM
Smith has always used that system. I actually cannot watch Rangers anymore as I get bored stiff. Anti-football at it's finest. I can't dispute that it is effective for him.

OwlsFan
25/04/2008, 5:11 PM
Smith has always used that system. I actually cannot watch Rangers anymore as I get bored stiff. Anti-football at it's finest. I can't dispute that it is effective for him.

My point exactly. I suppose I am hypocrital to attack it since I have long defended Jack Charlton's style with Ireland but we even see teams like Man U and others playing 5 across the middle now. I bet Trappatoni will do the same with us, except I am not sure we have 5 midfielders.

Poor Student
27/04/2008, 3:39 PM
Celtic defeated Rangers 3-2 today. Barry Ferguson and David Weir took bad knocks and Whittaker got needlessly sent off deep into injury time to add a suspension to Rangers' selection problems. Celtic are five points ahead with three more games played. If Celtic are to have any hope of winning the league they will have to win their three remaining games and see Rangers at least draw two of their remaining six league games. Though it seems unlikely for Celtic to win the league Rangers have an away UEFA Cup semi against Fiorentina on Wednesday and a punishing tight fixture list to complete their league games and their squad is already creaking with injuries and suspensions. I think Rangers will drop points in at least one of the remaining league games but I don't think Celtic will win their last three anyway.

NeilMcD
27/04/2008, 7:45 PM
My point exactly. I suppose I am hypocrital to attack it since I have long defended Jack Charlton's style with Ireland but we even see teams like Man U and others playing 5 across the middle now. I bet Trappatoni will do the same with us, except I am not sure we have 5 midfielders.

There are many ways to play 5 in midfield and have it attacking. There is no comparison to when Rangers play it and when Man Utd play it.

OwlsFan
28/04/2008, 9:42 AM
There are many ways to play 5 in midfield and have it attacking. There is no comparison to when Rangers play it and when Man Utd play it.

Did you see the game in Barcelona? Looked pretty much the same to me. One man up front with a bit of pace. Most of the rest of the team sitting back.

OwlsFan
02/05/2008, 7:17 AM
Forget your treble. Quadruple. Terrible to watch though and I fear it will set a trend. Florentina were all possession with no punch and could not break down Rangers. Is it my imagination but does the away side usually win on penos?

5 in midfield is now going to be everyone's master plan and I fear for football. Chelsea and Rangers in European Cup Finals and Man U as well with similar tactics against Barcelona.

drinkfeckarse
02/05/2008, 8:43 AM
It's a sad day for European football and football in general when muck like that gets you through to a European final. I thought it was obvious from the start that Rangers more than happy to take the game to penalties, it didn't even matter when Cousin got sent off as it made no difference to their game plan anyway!

gustavo
02/05/2008, 9:11 AM
It's a sad day for European football and football in general when muck like that gets you through to a European final. I thought it was obvious from the start that Rangers more than happy to take the game to penalties, it didn't even matter when Cousin got sent off as it made no difference to their game plan anyway!

Sure teams have been doing that for years , Red Star in the 1991 European Cup final springs to mind.

lionelhutz
02/05/2008, 9:17 AM
In fairness I think its up to the opposition to break the defensive side down. If they're good enough, they'll score and usually when the team that comes to see out a 0-0 concedes they fall apart.

So I don't think we can criticise Rangers, they went with a gameplan, knew they had inferior players and kept ten men behind the ball. If Fiorentina were good enough, they would have scored. Obviously they weren't

joeSoap
02/05/2008, 9:26 AM
Fair play to Rangers I say. This is about football, and defending is a huge part of football. They defended superbly last night, and deserved what they got.

drinkfeckarse
02/05/2008, 12:05 PM
Sure teams have been doing that for years , Red Star in the 1991 European Cup final springs to mind.

They only did that in the final though. Rangers have consistently done it home and away this season IMO. Red Star had great players like Prosinecki, Savicevic and Pancev at that time and none of the previous games before the final were bore's. You can't compare the 2 teams really.

I've said it before that I can't knock Smith and Rangers because it's got them results but I've also said it's the closest thing to anti-football that I've seen. I know full well that plenty of other teams adopt a 4-5-1 formation but I've yet to see anybody deploy it with the negativity that Rangers seem to do it with.

Fair play to them, they've played to their strengths which is their defensive capabilities, just don't expect me to give them any plaudits for it.

elroy
02/05/2008, 12:21 PM
I dont think Rangers style of football is particularly entertaining etc but you have to applaud them. They play a style that suits the capabilities of their team. If they played free flowing attacking football, they would've been knocked out of the competition along time ago. Walter Smith did wonders with Scotland and he has done the same here, there is many an English club who I believe are superior in personnel to Rangers and faltered a long time ago in this competition.

I think the major surprise what the huge defeat inflicted on Munich. Petersburg have to fancied for the final.

gspain
02/05/2008, 2:06 PM
Not a football classic by any means but incredible heart and determination. Fair play to them.

Great news for me too as I'm probably sorted for a champions league final ticket now as I have UEFA Cup finals tickets.

NeilMcD
02/05/2008, 2:48 PM
Did you see the game in Barcelona? Looked pretty much the same to me. One man up front with a bit of pace. Most of the rest of the team sitting back.

So one or two games out of a season means nothing. Man Utd have been an attacking team all season except for one or two games, whereas Rangers have been defensive all season with the exception of one or two games. They way they set uptheir 5 man midfield is 99% of the time radically different.

jmurphyc
02/05/2008, 2:58 PM
So one or two games out of a season means nothing. Man Utd have been an attacking team all season except for one or two games, whereas Rangers have been defensive all season with the exception of one or two games. They way they set uptheir 5 man midfield is 99% of the time radically different.

From what I've seen of Man Utd this season they've been attacking against the smaller teams, but in the CL and against the big sides in England they've generally been either defensive or "balanced". They weren't attacking against Lyon, Roma and Barcelona and from what I saw of them against Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea they were never an attacking side. They seem to be predominantly a counter attacking team. The only truly attacking side in England (IMO) is Arsenal and they're going to end the season with nothing. The idea of attacking sides (at least for the top sides in Europe) is outdated (IMO) as you'll get caught out too easily.

OwlsFan
08/05/2008, 7:08 AM
A stuttering 1-0 win over Motherwell. Just about hanging in there.