PDA

View Full Version : Club Nickname

Lamper.sffc
18/03/2008, 8:06 PM
What do we think people. Personally for me, The Ravens sounds good to me:D
Then theres Sporting or maybe others can suggest some names.

Or should we just let it develope:rolleyes:

just know other fans from other clubs are going to comment now. Bring it on:cool:

Santry_Goonshow
19/03/2008, 9:24 AM
Let me get this in before the shelbourne hordes do it. "Spingal"

Titan
19/03/2008, 12:15 PM
Is that bird on your badge a raven? if so then its got to be the ravens.

Santry_Goonshow
19/03/2008, 4:40 PM
Ravens is a bit awkward, lest we wish to anger our overlords in the GAA. There's a GFC called Fingal Ravens in Skerries so we cant be doing with that. How about "The Vikings" to denote our scandanavian past and to understand the Irish name Fine Gall = band of foreigners:D

Dunny
19/03/2008, 4:43 PM
Is that bird on your badge a raven? if so then its got to be the ravens.

Why has it got to be the ravens? We have three Martlets on our crest and we arent called "The Martlets". And the ravens sounds too american or something.

Whats wrong with just Sporting or Fingal?

Lamper.sffc
19/03/2008, 6:10 PM
not mad about sporting. It seems a bit obvious. I think of the lisbon team when I hear that. What about the 300 sportins:D

DmanDmythDledge
19/03/2008, 7:07 PM
How about "The Vikings" to denote our scandanavian past and to understand the Irish name Fine Gall = band of foreigners:D
:D I think that was Dublin City's nickname.

Santry_Goonshow
19/03/2008, 7:44 PM
:D I think that was Dublin City's nickname.

Aye, but we've a more authentic claim to it.....:rolleyes:

Bluebeard
20/03/2008, 1:21 PM
I look forward to seeing if the Ravens can challenge to get into the big four in the division, though who would they knock out of it - the Ships, the Castles, the Martlets or the, eh, Spire?

Sporting Man
20/03/2008, 2:24 PM
Its got to be Sporting. (how about the men in Black)

John83
20/03/2008, 3:24 PM
I dub thee "Athlete's Foot", as "Sporting Fungus" is just a bit too childish. ;)

Dunny
20/03/2008, 4:13 PM

Cant exactly be men because dunno what the hell Robbie Doyle is with those leggings!:p

Santry_Goonshow
20/03/2008, 5:00 PM
Cant exactly be men because dunno what the hell Robbie Doyle is with those leggings!:p

For someone who is "a girl" he did a pretty good job on the Athlone leftback (no7?) in the first half. Tore him asunder so he did and left him crying like a girl.;)

I think just "Fingal" will suffice as it the real power of the club is its claim to representing a community living in a well defined place.

Battery Rover
20/03/2008, 5:06 PM
For someone who is "a girl" he did a pretty good job on the Athlone leftback (no7?) in the first half. Tore him asunder so he did and left him crying like a girl.;)

Darren Young was that poor that a skilful Under 10 would have caused him problems

Lamper.sffc
20/03/2008, 5:07 PM
The name The Ravens is not just because it is on the badge. The Raven is synonymous with the area. I like the Vikings for a similar reason. (synonymous with the area, just for the slow):D

Jerry The Saint
20/03/2008, 5:22 PM
Let me get this in before the shelbourne hordes do it. "Spingal"

I prefer The Spongals.

Santry_Goonshow
20/03/2008, 5:28 PM
I prefer The Spongals.

Do you read VIZ? Because spongle is also called man-pop, a jizzy substance that results from wristular relaxation. Hardly a good topic to get into...:(

TheFingallian
20/03/2008, 7:57 PM
Just have to let it develope naturally. I'm using Sporting myself because it's just a handy way to describe them. Hardly a nickname though is it. Sporting over in Portugal are called the lions. Namely because they have a lion on their crest which signifies something no doubt.

Santry_Goonshow
20/03/2008, 8:25 PM
How did Everton get the Toffeemen? I mean its not as if theres a sweet on their crest. ;]

pineapple stu
20/03/2008, 8:29 PM
From giving out free toffees at games.

Santry_Goonshow
20/03/2008, 8:33 PM
And didn't Sunderland get called the Rokerites after Roker Park? Maybe we should be called the "Mortons", with a silent T. ;}

oldyouth
20/03/2008, 9:16 PM

I'll have to do capitals here to get my point across. DESPITE OUR RECENT APPEARANCE IN PINK, WE ARE THE MEN IN BLACK!!!!:mad:

Santry_Goonshow
20/03/2008, 11:52 PM
I'll have to do capitals here to get my point across. DESPITE OUR RECENT APPEARANCE IN PINK, WE ARE THE MEN IN BLACK!!!!:mad:

I thought you guys had a nickname derived from your home county - The Modellers?!:D

Lamper.sffc
21/03/2008, 12:15 AM
Time will tell. but until then Ravens:p

Sporting Man
21/03/2008, 8:06 AM
Free raven give away at match tonight then.

oldyouth
21/03/2008, 9:22 AM
I thought you guys had a nickname derived from your home county - The Modellers?!:D

Modeling in pink? How very dare you:p

Santry_Goonshow
21/03/2008, 11:32 AM
Modeling in pink? How very dare you:p

Does Councillor Doyle of Enniscorthy ward still give all those speeches about how "Hoorlin' is grea' faw de town yuths"? I just had images of Enniscorthy scallywags hitting their scrumpy jack cans away puc fada style.

Battery Rover
23/03/2008, 9:39 PM
How did Everton get the Toffeemen? I mean its not as if theres a sweet on their crest. ;]

Everton got the nickname “The Toffees” from “Ye Ancient Everton Toffee House” situated next door to the pub on whose premises the club was formed