PDA

View Full Version : Penalties......the Laws of the game

wws
09/07/2003, 4:35 PM
this is not a wind up message just a statement of fact to clear up an debate after the league cup game:

on penalties the laws of the Game provide that in ALL cases it is at the discretion of the referee which end is used for penalty kicks (common sense dictates that the ref takes into account condition of goal, security issues, lighting etc when deciding)

There is NO toss of a coin involved in selection of the end for penalties only in the decision of the team to go first.

(From July of this year a new ruling was introduced that the team that wins the toss can elect to go second)

In this case the head of security at the game advised the referee aet that the turnstile end would be dangerous to hold the penalties as the stadium security line is that patrons congregateing in large numbers on the fence behind the hill would be dangerous in the event of goal celebrations etc
accordingly the ref agreed and the stadium security sent their staff to cordon off the area behind the shed goal....which they did successfully

Thats the gospel truth from the people involved.

Take from it what you will but it aint an anti dolan conspiracy or anything remotely like it

tiktok
09/07/2003, 4:42 PM
sounds fair enough.

wws
09/07/2003, 4:43 PM
I got the above from a qualified ref who knows their stuff

pete
09/07/2003, 6:16 PM
Originally posted by wws
In this case the head of security at the game advised the referee aet that the turnstile end would be dangerous to hold the penalties as the stadium security line is that patrons congregateing in large numbers on the fence behind the hill would be dangerous in the event of goal celebrations etc
accordingly the ref agreed and the stadium security sent their staff to cordon off the area behind the shed goal....which they did successfully

Leaving aside the issue that Head of Security not exactely unbiased it wouldn't be necessary to deem one end "unsafe" if ye moved with times & upgraded the mud to at least gravel bank ;)

Me thinks i'm walking into an "...its Dolan fault...." reply

:eek:

Éanna
09/07/2003, 6:50 PM
sounds fairly reasonable I guess, but just a little aside. If that head of security you're talking about is the guy with the beard, then he is the most unmitigated w@nker it has ever been my displeasure to encounter at a football match. Pats will never get anywhere when you have power-tripping egomaniacs like him throwing their weight around

Ref
09/07/2003, 10:52 PM
Laws of the Game (http://images.fifa.com/fifa/handbook/laws/2003/LOTG2003_e.pdf)

:cool:

Dodge
10/07/2003, 8:42 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
sounds fairly reasonable I guess, but just a little aside. If that head of security you're talking about is the guy with the beard, then he is the most unmitigated w@nker it has ever been my displeasure to encounter at a football match. Pats will never get anywhere when you have power-tripping egomaniacs like him throwing their weight around
I know the guy you're talking about now. Yeah he's head of security and also pats main architect (as well as a shareholder) and I've had a few "discussions" with him over various things. Yeah, he's a ****er

You should like him, he doesn't like me either...

wws
10/07/2003, 9:36 AM
i think they're on about the chuck norris look a like not the person ure on about dodge

wws
10/07/2003, 9:37 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
Pats will never get anywhere when you have power-tripping egomaniacs like him throwing their weight around

pats have no say in the matter
the security firm recognised and recommened by the fai
is employed by ALL Dublin clubs
and there is no other firm thats
queing up to do the job

Dodge
10/07/2003, 9:47 AM
Originally posted by wws
i think they're on about the chuck norris look a like not the person ure on about dodge

If its the same guy who went to the shed just before the penalties, then it is who I'm talking about (I don't think he looks like Chuck Norris in the slightest but there you go...)

wws
10/07/2003, 10:13 AM
:rolleyes:

wws
10/07/2003, 10:53 AM
dodge, if he's not chuck norris than my names walker, texas ranger:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~sei/chuckyourlaw.jpg

Éanna
10/07/2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by wws
pats have no say in the matter
the security firm recognised and recommened by the fai
is employed by ALL Dublin clubs
and there is no other firm thats
queing up to do the job
thats rubbish. Recommended by the FAI, not forced upon you. We have a had problems with our stewarding and the club have mnade efforts to improve things. If you don't like the company don't use them there's no gun being held to anyones head here.

BTW, it is the Chuck norris lookalike I was referring to.

James
10/07/2003, 11:46 AM
ah yes my old friend chuck norris who took the
cork city 'anti drugs' banner of me in richmond, and then i met him the following day in lansdowne road for the ireland match and he was alll nice to me..

what a cnut ! :D

hayser
10/07/2003, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by James
cork city 'anti drugs' banner of me in richmond, and then i met him the following day in lansdowne road for the ireland match and he was alll nice to me..

Funny how you lot did`nt display that banner against rovers, wonder why

wws
10/07/2003, 12:15 PM

eanna, james:

"met him next day at an ireland game"

is the penny dropping? - they are the OFFICIAL FAI security team and YES we do HAVE to use them

James
10/07/2003, 12:18 PM
dubya dubya ESSSssssss

i never said he was/wasnt FAI security or whatever
i just said i had met him at both matches :)

wws
10/07/2003, 12:21 PM
I was replying to eanna

......using your quote though!

(without permission ;) so i had to give ya a plug somewhere)

James
10/07/2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by wws
eanna, james:

looks to me and the rest of the ppl in the office here like you're addressing both me and eanna, or have u forgotten how to read again
*drugs must be affecting your eyesight dubya dubya S :P*

wws
10/07/2003, 12:26 PM
"the rest of the ppl in the office"

:D

this is attracting an audience now

Éanna
10/07/2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by wws
is the penny dropping? - they are the OFFICIAL FAI security team and YES we do HAVE to use them
I'm sorry, I don't see how a club can be forced to accept the imposition of a security team................unless their own was woefully inadequate........ penny dropping?

As for the flag being used against rovers:
1. Dunno who owns the flag but the lads who usually have it weren't there that day.
2. We were too busy singing songs bout homelessness to sing about drugs :)

James
10/07/2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by wws
"the rest of the ppl in the office"

this is attracting an audience now

yeah once you started on about the Penalties and the laws of the game the girls just flocked to the screen to read your words of wisdom

wws
10/07/2003, 12:40 PM
"their own"

the security is hired
that IS THE security

same for pats
same for bohs
same for shels
same for UCD
same for dublin city
same for the Ireland team

rovers use mix n match arrangements but I'm fairly sure they use them too

wws
10/07/2003, 12:41 PM
yeah once you started on about the Penalties and the laws of the game the girls just flocked to the screen to read your words of wisdom

yeah they'd much rather pick up the echo and read a bunch of tripe from a sore losing manager

if you cant beat them

BLAME EVERYONE!

THE PAT DOLAN WAY!

Dodge
10/07/2003, 12:51 PM
We have to use professional security firm for various insurance reasons. At the moment the only company that provide this service and are also accredited with the FAI are Frontline security. They do security for Rovers, Bohs, Shels and for international managers and they are Rubbish.

The pats schoolboy managers also provide some stewards but by and large its Frontline and their goons...

Ruairi
10/07/2003, 2:48 PM
Originally posted by Ref
Laws of the Game (http://images.fifa.com/fifa/handbook/laws/2003/LOTG2003_e.pdf)

:cool:

Can anybody tell me why I spent an hour reading this thing??

Schumi
10/07/2003, 2:48 PM
So you can give better informed abuse to referees when they fúck up. :D

Ruairi
10/07/2003, 2:51 PM
But I knew it all anyway ;) :D