PDA

View Full Version : Irish manager of Barcelona

MariborKev
09/07/2003, 1:50 PM
Anyone got any info on Patrick O'Connell who managed Barca in the 30s

Dodge
09/07/2003, 2:13 PM
Only what was in Jimmy Burns' book; Barca. Think he was a cork man (widely open for cotradiction) and also managed man U

MariborKev
09/07/2003, 2:14 PM
Aye Dodge

Read that book- was wondering did any know anything else

tiktok
09/07/2003, 3:45 PM
He was a popular and charismatic manager at Barcelona from 1935-37 and won the catalunian championship, the copa espana and the mediterranean league in his time there. He had led Real Betis to the league title in 33-34. His association with the club was cut short though as the spanish civil war broke out.

A month after the civil war began, Barca president Josep Suñol was murdered by Franco's soldiers near to Guadalajara. Fortunately, the squad was on a tour of Mexico and USA, which although it proved the financial saving of the club, also resulted in half the team seeking exile in Mexico and France.

He was born in Dublin, and started his playing career with Belfast celtic as a half back, he made his way to Manchester United (via Sheffield Wednesday and Hull City) by 1914, the first instance where war (WW1 in this case) affected his career. He was capped for Northern Ireland five times.

Slurms McKenzie
11/07/2003, 7:51 PM
When i saw te name of this thread i automatically thought it was James who had gotten the job. Pity, but who would bet against him getting it at a future date?

Éanna
11/07/2003, 11:29 PM
Hope what I slaved over searching for, translating and sending ya proves useful Maribor! :)

p.s. I'd better get a mention in the credits :D :D