PDA

View Full Version : Reasons for our poor home form?

eamo1
16/03/2008, 11:56 PM
Meant to post this last week after the loss to Bohs.I think one of the main reasons for our poor Home form is the crowd getting on the players backs very quickly.Its not the only reason but i was shocked after around 10mins of the Bohs game to hear boo's and jeers from the crowd.I know the first half was poor stuff but i noticed it last season too towards the end when we were not playing too badly.I think it transmits to the players very easily and needs to be stopped.
I suppose aswell we just need a couple of home wins in a row and maybe the hoodoo will be broken and the lads will get confidence.We CANNOT afford another home record like we had last season.

gilberto_eire
17/03/2008, 12:14 AM
IMO we have the most suportive fans in the league. Look at the crowds all season regardless of the form, compare that to Longfords who all abandoned there team when they started to crumble!!.

I heared little to no booing considering the terrible stuff we endured last season.

gufct
17/03/2008, 12:17 AM
There are a very vocal minority who pick on easy targets (Philip & Barry last season) and start firing abuse sometimes before a ball is even kicked. I dont see it at other grounds from the home support but some fans in Terryland think they are heroes if they can be heard above everyone calling a player or manager every name under the sun no matter how good or bad the team are playing.

Xlex
17/03/2008, 12:33 AM
IMO we have the most supportive fans in the league. Look at the crowds all season regardless of the form, compare that to Longfords who all abandoned there team when they started to crumble!!

Our crowds suffered in the last few season's, mainly due to summer soccer, nothing really to do with being abandoned when we started to crumble, in fact, last season was a really exciting one despite relegation. The three sheets to the wind approach we took really got the fans on their feet....

But the reason I was drawn to your thread was that it struck a cord with me and what I thought was happening in Longford.

At times we lost our 12th man. A team needs the crowd is when things are not going well as much as any other time. The crowd needs to support the team, rather than the crowd reacting to what happens on the field.

Your away record probably is the one big positive and an away crowd will always encourage the team. A supporter who invests time as much as money to travel away will always be a more supportive figure. IT might come from the fact that as a home side you are always expected to take the game to the opposition. I suppose Roy Keane's comment about the 'prawn sandwitch brigade' may back up that theory.

pixiehead
17/03/2008, 5:49 AM
Meant to post this last week after the loss to Bohs.I think one of the main reasons for our poor Home form is the crowd getting on the players backs very quickly.Its not the only reason but i was shocked after around 10mins of the Bohs game to hear boo's and jeers from the crowd.I know the first half was poor stuff but i noticed it last season too towards the end when we were not playing too badly.I think it transmits to the players very easily and needs to be stopped.
I suppose aswell we just need a couple of home wins in a row and maybe the hoodoo will be broken and the lads will get confidence.We CANNOT afford another home record like we had last season.

Agree.

geezer
17/03/2008, 8:37 AM
these guys are full time professionals as opposed to the local postman, brickie, painter, accountant or local solicitor of the past. They should not be treated like pansies either, if they cant get themselves to attack for a 20- minute period in games at home to sligo,bray,ucd,harps and cobh they will deserve the flak. Its a bit early yet and i think their could be evidence of a slight improvement in the pattern of football played this season and im sure TC has learned something in the last 2 years. I think supporters dont like to hear excuses of galway is too small, too westerly, the budget is tight. i would forgive him for sayin Alan kelly is the worst referee in the world. Its costing a 1.5million to run united this year its not like yesteryear anymore the twelfth man pays in and we have 400 or so u couldnt call fairweather supporters the players inturn get paid that cash. Now lets sit back and see them do their job. That starts puttin the boot in where it hurts this friday and continuing where we left off in cobh

Maroon 7
17/03/2008, 8:28 PM

Can't say I heard any booing at all at the Bohs game and I was in the middle of the new stand.

You do hear the odd head the ball alright who loves to be heard roaring out something at the players but I can safely say you get them everywhere.

WoodquayBoy
18/03/2008, 8:54 AM
There are a very vocal minority who pick on easy targets (Philip & Barry last season) . . .
not so much easy targets as players who weren't doing their job, that is why the manager didn't give them a new contract

MyTown
18/03/2008, 10:49 AM
Getting back to the thread title, I think the pitch is a factor. (This is NOT a criticism of the Groundsman, who apart from being one of the best on the island, is also a very loyal supporter when it comes to taking in the away games). It's just that when I started going to Terryland first, it was a third world pitch and a third world venue. Players from opposing sides, especially the so-called flair players regularlgy denounced it as the worst venue in the league, and hated coming here. The thoughts of the Terryland Pitch and a close encounter with the late great Miko Nolan or Chick Deacy genuinely gave us a fighting chance against teams at our own level and above.

With the phenomenal improvemnets that have taken place, opponents LOVE trotting out on our patch - & I hate that. We've nothing left to intimidate them with and the improvements in the venue, coupled with a full time professional squad have raised expectations to totally unrealistic levels. Results bear this out.

There was a time when value for money at Terryland was watching Miko or Chick put a flair player into touch. Now (& rightly so), people demand much more. But I don't believe we have a "home" advantage at all, I think we have a home disadvantage. We start a goal down if you like. How do we change that?

Tir Oilean
18/03/2008, 12:47 PM
I see where your coming from My Town. I think we have signed too many average players. I would prefer to see a few top class players mixed in with the best of our local talent like Keano Russler and Glynn. I feel it would be a better combination to bring in a Paddy McCourt instead of 2/3 average players if at all possible. This would get a better atmosphere going in the ground. We need someone thatll produce a flash of brilliance nearly every game.
As regards the pitch maybe we should do what Jack Charlton did years ago and let the grass grow long and soak it before the games! That might help our home form!!!!

WoodquayBoy
18/03/2008, 1:42 PM
The pitch is so good because of the sh*te we put on it every fortnight.

Sorry, couldn't resist!!!!! I jest of course, just in case . . .

galwayhoop
18/03/2008, 2:27 PM
There are a very vocal minority who pick on easy targets (Philip & Barry last season) and start firing abuse sometimes before a ball is even kicked. I dont see it at other grounds from the home support but some fans in Terryland think they are heroes if they can be heard above everyone calling a player or manager every name under the sun no matter how good or bad the team are playing.

i think you get it at every ground in fairness. for example just think of Kevin Kilbane and John O'Shea at EVERY Ireland match!!

Personally I can't understand people going up to Terryland every second week just to moan at the players... personally I do my moaning on here and away from the ground but when up the Dyke it is always support. I can't think of a time I have booed our own players before, during or after any game. I do claim my right to critise the odd person on here though!!!!

galwayhoop
18/03/2008, 2:29 PM
I see where your coming from My Town. I think we have signed too many average players.

whatever about average players I think we have signed too many young players. Perhaps one or two older heads might have been brought in for this season. I think both Deegan and O'Shea are quality but may get lost without a wiser head present.... remains to be seen though.

geezer
18/03/2008, 9:34 PM
could be the signing that TC needed. This guy seems to be a john mannion without the mouth. If he finds the voice he could become a real leader

wonder88
18/03/2008, 10:21 PM
Was at the Brandywell on friday night, thought Gethins played really well. I know he was only on loan, but to think that the club didn't rate him highly enough to make a real effort to sign him is strange. His pace and controll really shone on the night. ps having seen Harps and Sligo over weekend i an not sure if UTD's ambition of being a top 6 club this season will be fulfilled (hope I'm wrong)

gufct
18/03/2008, 10:32 PM
I disagree strongly that we have signed average players and should be spending all our money on a few star players.We have to build a Team and club first and have a proper underage set up so we can bring through the best players we can get our hands on whether they are from Monserrat or Mervue.

Some people have a Romantic Notion of locals giving more for the Shirt than the "Outsiders" but funny I have a picture on my wall of the first GUFC Trophy winners the League Cup Winners of 86 and there are only 4 locals in the squad of 13 and the FAI Cup winners had 6 Outsiders in the starting 11.

west awake
19/03/2008, 12:13 AM
gufct,i've read plenty of your recent posts and anytime there is a bit of criticism leveled at any player you jump 2 there defence,if u go 2 the doctor and he diagnoses you with the wrong ailment,u'd be up in arms,if you hired a painter 2 paint your house and he done a bad job,you wouldn't be 2 happy,you see where i'm coming from,if your a paid profesional whether your a doctor,a painter or a footballer and you don't do your job properly you deserve criticism,if i constantly under perform in work i won't have a job,if we pay as we do 2 watch football in terryland every second friday and we get served up a load of nonsense every week,of course people are going 2 vent there anger,there might not of been an awful lot of locals on the teams of 86 and 91 but the teams were still backboned by local players,not 1 regular local starter now,a disgrace,what about the year we finished 3rd,when we played up in glenina,where did all these lads hail from?then we wouldn't pay them what there performances merited the following season,lost a few players and handed the league 2 st pats!it's always been the case with united,look after the outsider over the years,paying journeymen dublin players more money than far better local talent.but sure i know u'll have an answer to this as well and i'm sure u'll put your own slant on it cos in your world everything is rosey in the garden,wake up man!

Patrick Dunne
19/03/2008, 12:58 AM
The re-implementation of an all-local policy would result in :

(a) immediate relegation at the bottom of the table
(b) finishing 2009 between 6th-9th in the First Division
(c) crowds of 300 in Terryland again, as we had two years
ago at the start of the 2007 season

At present, only one local player in the squad has demonstrated the consistency, ability and professionalism to warrant a guaranteed place in the starting XI. There is another player who has the ability, and a third player who should be on loan to a First Division or "A" side. By common consenus, the most ineffective players in the squad last were locals.

I don't care whether you are from Mervue or Montserrat, Salthill or Sierra Leone, Tuam or Tierra Del Fuego, Carraroe or Clyde. The most important criteria must be "Are you good enough ?"

eamo1
19/03/2008, 1:04 AM
I think we can make things more intimadating for the opposition players with things like organised chanting,and whistles and jeers when they have possesion etc.Also,and it really pains me to say this,we have to stop giving the Refs stick right from the off.When they,especially Mr.Kelly,makes a bad decision then by all means give him abuse but if we are on his back from the start he might be more inclined to give a key decision against us.This happened at the Bohs match i believe.
I do also believe that we fans can do everything in our power to encourage the lads and put off the opposition but it DOES come back to the players actually performing too.

west awake
19/03/2008, 1:33 AM
The re-implementation of an all-local policy would result in :

(a) immediate relegation at the bottom of the table
(b) finishing 2009 between 6th-9th in the First Division
(c) crowds of 300 in Terryland again, as we had two years
ago at the start of the 2007 season

At present, only one local player in the squad has demonstrated the consistency, ability and professionalism to warrant a guaranteed place in the starting XI. There is another player who has the ability, and a third player who should be on loan to a First Division or "A" side. By common consenus, the most ineffective players in the squad last were locals.

I don't care whether you are from Mervue or Montserrat, Salthill or Sierra Leone, Tuam or Tierra Del Fuego, Carraroe or Clyde. The most important criteria must be "Are you good enough ?"i never mentioned an all local policy,i just think it's a disgrace that we don't have a local who's a regular on the team,i mean alot of the outsiders who we have been bringing in on alot bigger money over the years haven't been good enough either,mark mcphilibin of galway hibs would be a far and away a more superior keeper than rodgers,charles is past it,there's definately better defenders in the junior game,look how well alan keane has done and he wasn't even 1 of the top defenders in the junior league,there's talent there,i haven't ever seen tony cousins at a junior match in galway,the football played by the top teams in the junior league is a far better and more entertaining brand of football than what we witness up in terryland on a friday night all be it at a far inferior level,but at least they try and play football,if it was a crowd of locals serving up the tripe we've witnessed in terryland for the last 2 years you would see far more criticism from certain individuals on this site.

Tir Oilean
19/03/2008, 7:39 AM
Some people have a Romantic Notion

:D:D You wouldnt be talking about yourself there GUFCT would you!?!

Apologies to the thread starter it seems that my suggestion for a few top class players to be thrown in with the best of our local talent (Keano Russler and Glynn) has been interpreted as an all local policy campaign. 3 players out of a squad of 32 aint 10% of what we have on the books so i'm hardly backing an all local policy.

You make Terryland a fortress by playing football with style which will be backed up by the passion of what has been a growing number of hardcore fans over the last few seasons. Its then that the vocal crowd will start intimidating the visiting team.

WoodquayBoy
19/03/2008, 7:40 AM
Much as I wuold love to slate the club fopr thew lack of locas -and God knows, there are plenty whio are - the simple fact is, if there were local players good enough, then they would be playing.
I ask, how many Galway-born players are plying their trade in the Premier Division this season? Exactly, they are just not good enough. Hell, Ulster, Leinster and Munster all have Intermediate Leagues. There is a reason why there isn't one in Connacht - the players are not good enough.
As Pa says, the criteria should be 'do you have the right attitude' not 'do you have the right accent'. If you're good enough, you're welcome. It was great to see Phil and Barry and Cookie and Liam get a run last season, but the common consensus - especially here -was they were the weak link.
The disgrace is not that we don;t have a local who is a regular starter, the disgrace is there is not one player from Galway good enough to play Premier Division football

gufct
19/03/2008, 9:04 AM
i never mentioned an all local policy,i just think it's a disgrace that we don't have a local who's a regular on the team,i mean alot of the outsiders who we have been bringing in on alot bigger money over the years haven't been good enough either,mark mcphilibin of galway hibs would be a far and away a more superior keeper than rodgers,charles is past it,there's definately better defenders in the junior game,look how well alan keane has done and he wasn't even 1 of the top defenders in the junior league,there's talent there,i haven't ever seen tony cousins at a junior match in galway,the football played by the top teams in the junior league is a far better and more entertaining brand of football than what we witness up in terryland on a friday night all be it at a far inferior level,but at least they try and play football,if it was a crowd of locals serving up the tripe we've witnessed in terryland for the last 2 years you would see far more criticism from certain individuals on this site.

Mark McPhilibin is a lovely lad but are you being serious.Junior Soccer in Galway is not strong or organised enough to be producing players with the Skill and Commitment to go fulltime in the EL.There have been countless players who came to GUFC from the junior leagues and didnt stick the pace because of the commitment involved and that was before we went fulltime.

If you checked the GUFC Squad page you would see there are 11 local players included although most will see action in the A league. If Players are prepared to knuckle down and work hard they will get their chance but no juniorplayer is going to walk straight into any el team without having the proper attitude and application.

galwayhoop
19/03/2008, 11:50 AM
Hell, Ulster, Leinster and Munster all have Intermediate Leagues. There is a reason why there isn't one in Connacht - the players are not good enough.
Now that just isn't true!

Perhaps there isn't enough teams willing to participate in an Intermediate League but to say the players aren't good enough is total lies.

In fact the lack of an Intermediate league is probably a big reason why there aren't more local lads playing eircom League.

The step up from Junior to eircom is far too big. Intermediate is a perfect middle ground. Junior club members who moan and cry about locals not playing for GUFC should look a bit closer at themselves and why they aren't pushing for the re-introduction of the CSL.

geezer
19/03/2008, 12:26 PM
to expect an all local policy. The junior leagues have the same players playing for over 20years at some clubs and youngsters giving up because they cant get a chance at that level. At LOI Premier level its a whole different ball game attitude and commitment is more important than skill. Its a bad reflection on the district leagues there is not a better pathway to playing LOi. Experience and the opportunity to play makes a huge difference to how a player develops. Remember Lal and cappy years ago they struggled hugely in their first 2 or 3 years but came on in leaps and bounds because they were kept in the fold. You have to allow some locals the chance to become "good enough" and that may take 3 years of bits of games, full games at league cup level etc. The A league may allow this to happen. There is merit in the argument of signing quality from dublin & beyond (remember brinias, rapetti ...) not quantity. Its always important to have a policy to support local talent to a degree