PDA

View Full Version : Sports Journalism

nijboyle
16/03/2008, 7:18 PM
Just wondering if any forummers spotted any sports journalism jobs going across the country, im interested in getting into something like it..any feedback would be great thanks!

CameramanConka
16/03/2008, 7:26 PM
Is forummers a word?

If I remember correctly the Irish News advertised for something along those lines recently. Might be an idea to check their site.

L37Ultra
16/03/2008, 8:29 PM
Just wondering if any forummers spotted any sports journalism jobs going across the country, im interested in getting into something like it..any feedback would be great thanks!

Dont you need a degree in Sports Journalism to get a payed job doing something like this? Other than that it would be voulentry I would say

nijboyle
16/03/2008, 9:20 PM
Not necessarily, experience is as good as

L37Ultra
16/03/2008, 9:23 PM
Not necessarily, experience is as good as

Ya im sure there are loads of websites/local newspapers crying out for Journalists to cover Eircom League games.

superfrank
16/03/2008, 10:36 PM
Contact the member Gareth, he runs a new site dedicated to the eircom league.

L37Ultra
16/03/2008, 10:39 PM
Contact the member Gareth, he runs a new site dedicated to the eircom league.

Ya im doing previews and reports for Limerick for that new site. Contact Gareth or I can give you his details if you want. He might have something for you.

ShelsNeil
17/03/2008, 3:09 AM
Best bet for sports journalism is to start local and work your way up. Do amateur games for community papers etc and maybe contribute to some websites. As said, a degree isn't really necessary if you're good enough. I got my degree and my experience at the same time and it paid off big time.

kingdom hoop
17/03/2008, 4:04 AM
Is forummers a word?

Language evolves as per usage, so technically if used sufficiently in a colloquial setting then any 'word' can become a word. In this case, perhaps forumors would be the right spelling, but forummers is also worthy of consideration. But given that I've frequented forums for a few years and the issue hasn't arisen I'd say there's little chance of the Oxford literati taking heed.

Good question. :eek: :)

nijboyle
17/03/2008, 1:07 PM
Members of the illustrious forum, would that suffice?:D

centre mid
17/03/2008, 2:06 PM
I think forumites is the correct term

a.a.d
17/03/2008, 2:26 PM
I started doing Derry website stuff and then started our own radio ashow for the fans and by a stroke of luck I am now doing i full time with RTE.

Fivesilver
17/03/2008, 9:31 PM
I've done a lot of major competitions in a number of sports - including a World Cup final - all before I ever had a former qualification. My two cents' worth:

Be prepared to do plenty of stuff for nothing.
Be prepared to do plenty of 'small-time' stuff.
Stay interested and passionate.
Be patient, but stay alert for opportunities and try to never pass one up.
Write well, write simply, be unfailingly accurate, respect the people you're writing about and the people you're writing for.
Good luck - I hope you get where you want to go.

soccerc
17/03/2008, 10:47 PM
Be prepared to do plenty of stuff for nothing.

You'll never be out of work if you do it for nothing.

Boh_So_Good
18/03/2008, 12:44 AM
Dont you need a degree in Sports Journalism to get a payed job doing something like this?

Irish journalists basically follow the same lifecycle. As children they had an unhealthy interest in their neighbours underware hanging on the washing line. Later this turn into being peeping toms who kept dossiers of their neighbours comings and goings while other kids in the neighbourhood collected stamps or train numbers.

Then when the teenage years arrived and their inability to think in abstract ways reached its zeinth as they take everything they read in newspapers, or saw on TV as absolute reality with no variables or other dynamics at work. Manchester United to them, "really is the greatest team in the world" even though they never saw teams from other countries outside the UK, "Celtic are an Irish club", Ronnie Delaney was the last gold medal won in Olympic history, "you'll never beat the Irish", "Glenda Gilson is stunningly beautiful" etc.

When their alcoholism, caffeine, chain-smoking and over eating disorders takes hold of them by their mid-20's they became more and more seduced by flashing lights on TV and English and American media accents. They marry women who need men to really get into shows like Sex in the City and Desperate Housewives with them. The four bottles of wine a night while watching these "must see" shows just reinforces the Journalist's self-image as someone in the know, on the cutting edge, while agreeing with his wife that "Bree should change her shoes!". He gulps down another glass of Shriza, he is living the RTE guide lifestyle. That's all he can do. He cannot tell the difference between Alan Partrigde and Richard Madeley. He doesn't know how to. More Shriaz... He agrees that we all need to reduce our carbon footprint cos he read this somewhere. He doesn't do this himself, but the fact he agreed with the sentiment and may have even relayed it, makes him an environmentalist, a good guy, in the know, aware.

Then its just the next 20 or 30 years of copying and pasting Premiership and SPL reports while adding "we" and "us" to any editorial swing they feel obliged to add to their research. Finally a few months in rehabs with the DTs...off the drink...into chain-smoking and coffee instead...born again christian phase....death.

Not you nijboyle , you're alright.

ShelsNeil
18/03/2008, 2:39 AM
Irish journalists basically follow the same lifecycle. As children they had an unhealthy interest in their neighbours underware hanging on the washing line. Later this turn into being peeping toms who kept dossiers of their neighbours comings and goings while other kids in the neighbourhood collected stamps or train numbers.

Then when the teenage years arrived and their inability to think in abstract ways reached its zeinth as they take everything they read in newspapers, or saw on TV as absolute reality with no variables or other dynamics at work. Manchester United to them, "really is the greatest team in the world" even though they never saw teams from other countries outside the UK, "Celtic are an Irish club", Ronnie Delaney was the last gold medal won in Olympic history, "you'll never beat the Irish", "Glenda Gilson is stunningly beautiful" etc.

When their alcoholism, caffeine, chain-smoking and over eating disorders takes hold of them by their mid-20's they became more and more seduced by flashing lights on TV and English and American media accents. They marry women who need men to really get into shows like Sex in the City and Desperate Housewives with them. The four bottles of wine a night while watching these "must see" shows just reinforces the Journalist's self-image as someone in the know, on the cutting edge, while agreeing with his wife that "Bree should change her shoes!". He gulps down another glass of Shriza, he is living the RTE guide lifestyle. That's all he can do. He cannot tell the difference between Alan Partrigde and Richard Madeley. He doesn't know how to. More Shriaz... He agrees that we all need to reduce our carbon footprint cos he read this somewhere. He doesn't do this himself, but the fact he agreed with the sentiment and may have even relayed it, makes him an environmentalist, a good guy, in the know, aware.

Then its just the next 20 or 30 years of copying and pasting Premiership and SPL reports while adding "we" and "us" to any editorial swing they feel obliged to add to their research. Finally a few months in rehabs with the DTs...off the drink...into chain-smoking and coffee instead...born again christian phase....death.

Not you nijboyle , you're alright.

I'm guessing that attempt at a sweeping generalisation was meant to be funny. Unfortunately it's not in the slightest. I can't relate a single thing you said to myself! I'll give you a point for effort though.

Snoop Drog
18/03/2008, 5:02 AM
I'm guessing that attempt at a sweeping generalisation was meant to be funny. Unfortunately it's not in the slightest. I can't relate a single thing you said to myself! I'll give you a point for effort though.

Would we be familiar with any of your work SN?

ShelsNeil
18/03/2008, 5:12 AM
Would we be familiar with any of your work SN?

Unfortunately not as I live in Australia at the moment. Anyone who lives in West Dublin should know me from when I cut my teeth covering the LSL, AUL etc. for the Gazette Group newspapers. Did that for three years before I moved over. I'm currently a match previewer for a Manchester City fans site and my full time journalism job is in the construction industry. Definitely not my preferred choice unfortunately! Hope to get back into the football as soon as I move home.

I did actually enjoy your man's piece, just wasn't relative!