PDA

View Full Version : Venables: drink-drive Dunphy cost me job

Ringo
16/03/2008, 5:51 AM
Terry Venables has launched an astonishing attack on Eamon Dunphy, asking "how can a self-confessed cocaine-user and convicted drink-driver lecture me on my character?"

Venables, in an in-depth interview in today's Sunday Independent, also attacks the FAI, accusing them of being "frightened" of Dunphy and claims that the three-man panel appointed to find Steve Staunton's successor was merely "decoration".

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/venables-drinkdrive-dunphy-cost-me-job-1318894.html

Poor Student
16/03/2008, 7:12 AM
Article by Dion Fanning, surprise, surprise.:rolleyes: Let it go, now the frightening prospect of Venables has been consigned to the deep recesses of our memories we couldn't care less.

Tir Oilean
16/03/2008, 8:59 AM
Well all I can say is thank god for Dunphy's "hysterical" "recklessness" , accordig to El Tel, only for it we'd have Terry and not Trap. Cant fault him on his comments on Givens though.

Deckydee
16/03/2008, 9:48 AM
Here is a link to the full article

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/if-they-are-not-strong-enough-to-make-their-own-decision-then-i-am-better-off-not-being-there-1318986.html

amaccann
16/03/2008, 10:48 AM
Terry who?

;)

tetsujin1979
16/03/2008, 10:55 AM
Not quite sure what to make of it to be honest.

Lines like "Venables sat down in a Knightsbridge hotel still contaminated from the toxic half-life of Dunphy's attack on RTE last November" immediately turned me off it. It does seem like he didn't get a fair crack of the whip, and the legitimate lateness of Givens for his interview is over-emphasised.

He has watched Dunphy's polemic on YouTube, enraged as he stated "facts" which Venables contests and he reveals his determination to fight Dunphy's toxicity with his own when he reflects on Dunphy questioning his character. "How can a self-confessed cocaine user who has been banned for drink driving and driving without insurance lecture me on my character?"What "facts" that Dunphy quoted were wrong? I said at the time that Dunphy had done his homework on Venables, and everything he listed was correct. It was a refreshing change from the Dunph, who usually just rants, stream of consciousness style.

The only failure of Venables that is gone into, in any detail, is at Leeds. Crystal Palace and Portsmouth (who he nearly drove to extinction) are only mentioned in passing. The lad who was with me at the meet up before the Germany game is a big Palace fan, and he has some words for Venables' time there.

Hyland wrote in the Herald, immediately after Trapattoni was appointed, that Venables should be applauded for his "dignified silence", despite having an interview in the Independent the previous Sunday - http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/venables-insists-he-is-still-in-the-race-for-ireland-job-1286433.html - there is no name on the archived article, but is it a coincidence it also appeared in the Independent?

All in all, the only really interesting thing in the whole article is that Givens was late for the interview, the rest seems to be one long rant about Venables not getting the job. Considering it's by Dion Fanning, who championed Venables from Day 1, that's not surprising.

Superhoops
16/03/2008, 12:11 PM
....Considering it's by Dion Fanning, who championed Venables from Day 1, that's not surprising.
Another feeble attempt by Fanning to snipe at the FAI.

Unless there was a large 'wedge' handed over from the Indo, I am surprised Venables has allowed himself to get involved in such an undignified farce. The bottom line is that Venables did not get the job and most people could not care less about his views on Dunphy or the process.

OwlsFan
16/03/2008, 5:17 PM
The bottom line is that Venables did not get the job and most people could not care less about his views on Dunphy or the process.

Exactly. A large majority of the fans didn't want Vegetables and to say that Drunkphy's outburst was the cause of him not getting the job is nonsense. The FAI aren't TOTAL dimwits and would have been aware of Vegetable's background and while his name was in the hat, Drunkphy had nothing to do with his non-appointment imho.

superfrank
16/03/2008, 5:40 PM
I hope the both of them slug it out in the libel courts and both their characters will be irreparably damaged. I detest the two of these chancers and the more mud-slinging, the better.

Stuttgart88
16/03/2008, 6:01 PM
Well done foot.ie for arming Dunphy with his facts and opinions on the matter :) and for standing up to Fanning's propoganda.

Edit: just read the full interview. In fairness to RTE Giles countered a lot of Dunphy's points. Venables definitiely has a point about Dunphy criticising his character though, pots and kettle colours and all that.

Very interesting, if true, just how poor the interview questions were (no questions on what he'd do???) and just how poor the interview conditions were (a hotel lobby FFS).

geysir
16/03/2008, 6:52 PM
Footie had all the facts prepared from as long ago as Nov 2005. Although the vast majority had made their minds up before Dunphy's rant, you can't dismiss the effect of his rant on the non selection of Venables.
The selection process turned into the search for anybody but Venables.
But I reckon if Houllier wasn't there to fill a few weeks of speculation before Trap, then Venables may well have gotten the dream job.

Overall the article is very poorly constructed. It's a shockingly bad example of sports journalism.

Billsthoughts
16/03/2008, 7:08 PM
he has every right to defend himself to be honest. article was a bit of a puff piece but he was hardly going to agree to anything but. agree with comments re interview. sounds a bit haphazard.

RiffRaff
16/03/2008, 10:28 PM
I didnt want Veneables to get the job, but he is more qualified to be Ireland manager than Dunphy, an idiot with no background knowledge or experience of top class football, is to be a tv pundit. If Veneables suing Dunphy gets that **** off our screens, then i hope he goes ahead.

Razors left peg
17/03/2008, 12:32 AM
I didnt want Veneables to get the job, but he is more qualified to be Ireland manager than Dunphy, an idiot with no background knowledge or experience of top class football, is to be a tv pundit. If Veneables suing Dunphy gets that **** off our screens, then i hope he goes ahead.

So would you rather we have someone like Jamie Rednapp on RTE, someone that never critisizes anyone and thinks that all the world of football is brilliant. Lets face it Dunphy is great to watch on TV whether u like him or hate him. No he didnt have the power to convince the FAI not to go for Venables but he did voice the opinion of most fans. Personally I like Eammon even if he does go over the top sometimes.... but football on TV would be an awful lot less interesting without him

youngirish
17/03/2008, 9:44 AM
I've always thought Dunphy was a bit of a tool but if this is true and his rantings were the sole reason that Trappatoni was offered the job over Venables then I must express my deepest gratitude to Eamo. The man's a legend. All is forgiven.

seanfhear
17/03/2008, 10:26 AM
eamonn dunphy is the ian paisley of irish football

terry venables is bertie ahern

perhaps they deserve one another

Newryrep
17/03/2008, 12:36 PM
Has somebody photo shopped TV's head, it looks large compared to the rest of his body.

Yesterdays man, in hindsight would of been a better appointment than Staunton but the fact that nobody else was seriously considering him says it all really. Time to move on with the Trapattoni revolution. (its his birthday today so if he is reading this Happy Birthday)

jmurphyc
17/03/2008, 3:19 PM
Giles is someone who strikes me as a complete spoofer. I lost all respect for him during the 2006 world cup when he was commentating the opening Germany game with prerehearsed "team in decline" comments showing no knowledge whatsoever of the players he was commentating on.

Erm....

Irish_Praha
17/03/2008, 3:55 PM
Time to move on with the Trapattoni revolution. (its his birthday today so if he is reading this Happy Birthday)
I didn't know that until now, that's another major positive omen that he was born on Paddy's day :eek::)

Greenforever
17/03/2008, 8:42 PM
Dunphy is a bit extreme but I generally find that he has good opinions and generally knows what he's talking about. Ditto Brady. Giles is someone who strikes me as a complete spoofer. I lost all respect for him during the 2006 world cup when he was commentating the opening Germany game with prerehearsed "team in decline" comments showing no knowledge whatsoever of the players he was commentating on.

If you reckon Giles is a spoofer you know less than I do about football which is less than almost nothing :D Giles is one of the best analyists in the world and is consistent unlike Dunphy who changes his opinion as quick as the weather:D

Kingdom
18/03/2008, 8:20 AM
Footie had all the facts prepared from as long ago as Nov 2005. Although the vast majority had made their minds up before Dunphy's rant, you can't dismiss the effect of his rant on the non selection of Venables.
The selection process turned into the search for anybody but Venables.
But I reckon if Houllier wasn't there to fill a few weeks of speculation before Trap, then Venables may well have gotten the dream job.

Overall the article is very poorly constructed. It's a shockingly bad example of sports journalism.

But a shockingly good example of the shyte Fanning comes out with.

Also I must admit to laughing to the piece about the process being a sham! Here we were thinking the process was a sham to result in Venables being appointed!

reder
18/03/2008, 8:32 AM
For once some good comes from Dunphy's moronic tirades. He is in no position to comment on anyones character but I am truely not bothered. You cannot compare the prospect of Trap being manager against El Tel.

The article is utter tripe though. Does he actually get paid to write that sh1t?

BigmanCas
18/03/2008, 9:07 AM
I have found it very difficult to understand how such an anti-Venables sentiment developed in this country over the past few months. I think it boils down to the fact that he is the quintessential cockney with a cheeky smile. People forget that we aren't considered a great football nation, so to get such a manager as Venables would have been a great coup. Poor Student, Ciaran(lost all respect for ya), amaccann, tetsujin1979, superhoops, owlsfan, youngirish (more nonsense from you), kingdom and reder - all know more than the players who believed Venables was the man for the job. Everyone who knows the game, said that he was the ideal candidate. He was.

He has won nothing. Have Ireland ever won anything? (a cup in Iceland!!) Did Jack Charlton ever win anything? Anybody, and I stress the 'Anybody' who has played under Venables say that he was the best coach they played under. I can say no more!! I am not for one second saying that I am disappointed with Trapps appointment - I think he'll do fine - but I still think Venables would have been a better choice - given the circumstances and his knowledge of our game.

Eamonn Dunphy. I recall that he is the same man who has lauded applause onto Mr John Delaney on numerous ocassions. Vomit. Vomit!!! Giles did argue on behalf of Venables during the now 'infamous rant' - fair play to him - but he brings absolutely nothing to the table in terms of analysisability.

Good luck Trapp. I am now behind you 100%. But just take note of how the FAI operate. Look at their treatment of previous managers - and of Venables. It is clear for all to see that the people in power in Abbotstown hang on Dunphys' every word and just look how his sentiments have subconciously effected the afforementioned foot.ie members.

Kingdom
18/03/2008, 9:25 AM
Poor Student, Ciaran(lost all respect for ya), amaccann, tetsujin1979, superhoops, owlsfan, youngirish (more nonsense from you), kingdom and reder - all know more than the players who believed Venables was the man for the job. Everyone who knows the game, said that he was the ideal candidate. He was.

All the players thought Stan was a great appointment. That he'd bring back the craic. Here's a thought: Maybe some of our players are stoopid?

Newryrep
18/03/2008, 9:27 AM
I would of had Venebles over a number of candidate initially eg coppell, jewel etc but as soon as realistic/preferred options became available firstly Hodgson then Houllier and finally Trapattoni he slid down the list. What was galling was that his cheerleaders in the press never changed their tune no matter who was available or a possibility. It reeked of self serving drivel - ie slow news day, just give Terry a ring for a quote and base an article around it.

I am willing to take second best as long as the first choice options are exhausted - again if he was so great what other countries realistically wanted TV as manager (and i dont believe Bulgaria was a serious candadate)

BigmanCas
18/03/2008, 10:27 AM
All the players thought Stan was a great appointment. That he'd bring back the craic. Here's a thought: Maybe some of our players are stoopid?

Everyone and his mother knew Stan was a risk. No comparison - Please offer a bit more than that Kingdom. That is pretty lame indeed.

Newryrep. Venables was involved with England twice - as assistant to McLaren, it was well documented that in the end they were not even on speaking terms - as Mclaren became unwilling to listen to any advice - Venables I'm sure was offering sensible opinion. His creditentials are proven. OK - he hasn't won world cups etc.. but is respected as a damn fine coach.

tetsujin1979
18/03/2008, 10:50 AM
Venables I'm sure was offering sensible opinionRemember how England went unbeaten at the start of their campaign with a 4-4-2? Remember how they changed to 3 at the back away to Croatia? Remember how they lost that game? That change was Venables' idea. How very sensible of him to change a winning formula.

And for the record, I couldn't care less where he's from, if he was a cockney, geordie, scouser, roman, mongul, or whatever. I didn't want him as manager because I didn't think he was up to it, his last success was more than a decade ago with England, and even that doesn't read well under scrutiny. Everything he's touched since then has fallen apart. He was an assistant to a failure at England, and when they needed his "sensible opinions" at home against Croatia, where was he? In the Royal Box with the Princes!

Kingdom
18/03/2008, 10:57 AM
Everyone and his mother knew Stan was a risk. No comparison - Please offer a bit more than that Kingdom. That is pretty lame indeed.

Newryrep. Venables was involved with England twice - as assistant to McLaren, it was well documented that in the end they were not even on speaking terms - as Mclaren became unwilling to listen to any advice - Venables I'm sure was offering sensible opinion. His creditentials are proven. OK - he hasn't won world cups etc.. but is respected as a damn fine coach.

You said the players all wanted Venables. Tha same players (or those who voiced their opinions) all spoke positively about Stan. Us, the fans, didn't. And truth be told I'm sick of ex-players, pundits etc assuming the fan knows nothing because they didn't play the game, blah..blah..blah.

Anyone who wants to champion Venables keep doing so, I'll just believe you're delusional. If Venables was such a football man, he'd be in the employ of a club somewhere in the Uk. He's not. He's also, quite pointedly in that article, said that he's never gone looking for a job. We'll see how long he lasts without a job.
I don't care much for Dunphy, he changes tack too quickly to be taken seriously, as evidenced in the recent champions league programs, and his opinion of venables didn't hold any sway with me. Why? Because we, the foot.ie collective, had dismissed him completely, based on the wrongs in his career that senor Dingdong, sorry Dion Fanning, casually airbrushes from any piece he does on Venables.
BigmanCas, why shouldn't we aspire to having a decent manager? This is what you seem to be saying. Why shouldn't we want to have the best possible manager that we could? Truth be told, I don't see how any of this is an issue anymore. We have one of the best managers around in charge, he's without doubt better than Venables so I don't see what the arguement is.

BigmanCas
18/03/2008, 10:58 AM
Remember how England went unbeaten at the start of their campaign with a 4-4-2? Remember how they changed to 3 at the back away to Croatia? Remember how they lost that game? That change was Venables' idea. How very sensible of him to change a winning formula.

And for the record, I couldn't care less where he's from, if he was a cockney, geordie, scouser, roman, mongul, or whatever. I didn't want him as manager because I didn't think he was up to it, his last success was more than a decade ago with England, and even that doesn't read well under scrutiny. Everything he's touched since then has fallen apart. He was an assistant to a failure at England, and when they needed his "sensible opinions" at home against Croatia, where was he? In the Royal Box with the Princes!
Inventing arguments again. Steve McLaren was England manager. That is the long and the short of it. Don't take me for a fool with your Rubbish. You didn't think he was up to the Ireland job. What nonsense. Waken up!!

OwlsFan
18/03/2008, 11:11 AM
If Venables had come to us in the early 1980s (20+ years ago), I would have supported his appointment. But his record since then is medicore at best or even worse and I don't believe he would have been the man to turn round our fortunes similar to Jewell whom I was also against.

However, the stuff about Dunphy's tirade being the seminal moment is hogwash. He and Giles waxed lyrical about Jewell (Giles even interviewed the man off his own bat) but that had no impact either. People exaggerate the effect of pundits. Most (football) people can see through the bluster and hype and make their own minds up on things.

jmurphyc
18/03/2008, 11:15 AM
Inventing arguments again. Steve McLaren was England manager. That is the long and the short of it. Don't take me for a fool with your Rubbish. You didn't think he was up to the Ireland job. What nonsense. Waken up!!

It's widely acknowledged to be the case. Perhaps it isn't true, but going by what the media (and some players I believe) reported this was the case. Why do you think the FAI hang on to Dunphy's every last word? If it's just because they didn't select him as Ireland manager, then you seriously need your head checked if you think he is a better candidate than Trapattoni. Your implication that half of this board get their views from Dunphy is, quite frankly, extremely insulting.

Newryrep
18/03/2008, 11:17 AM
Everyone and his mother knew Stan was a risk. No comparison - Please offer a bit more than that Kingdom. That is pretty lame indeed.. Trapattoni's a risk but the odds are signifcantly reduced, there are no guarentees

England wouldnt touch TV as their manager after 96 nor does it seem that his credentials have impressed Europe recently hence lack of job offers - i personnally doubt he will get anothers managers job in any significant club/country

why did the media cheerleading not stop when more suitable candidates became available ?

jbyrne
18/03/2008, 11:21 AM
our worst fears that venebles would get the job were unfounded and he is now irrelevant to Irish football. end of

paul_oshea
18/03/2008, 11:29 AM

You are not offering any arguement yourself. What are you going on about there, he offered a piece to counter your claim of tel being a great coach, and you come back with absoloutely nothing. If you hit be with stupidity ill be forced to hit back with even more stupidity comes to mind....

jmurphyc
18/03/2008, 11:38 AM
our worst fears that venebles would get the job were unfounded and he is now irrelevant to Irish football. end of

Yeah, this really is a non-issue. This thread should really be moved to off topic. I couldn't care less about whether Venables feels hard done by or not. There are plenty of others who may feel the same: Howard Kendall, Kenny Dalglish et al.

lionelhutz
18/03/2008, 11:40 AM
He has won nothing. Have Ireland ever won anything? (a cup in Iceland!!) Did Jack Charlton ever win anything? Anybody, and I stress the 'Anybody' who has played under Venables say that he was the best coach they played under. I can say no more!! I am not for one second saying that I am disappointed with Trapps appointment - I think he'll do fine - but I still think Venables would have been a better choice - given the circumstances and his knowledge of our game.

Eamonn Dunphy. I recall that he is the same man who has lauded applause onto Mr John Delaney on numerous ocassions. Vomit. Vomit!!! Giles did argue on behalf of Venables during the now 'infamous rant' - fair play to him - but he brings absolutely nothing to the table in terms of analysisability.

Good luck Trapp. I am now behind you 100%. But just take note of how the FAI operate. Look at their treatment of previous managers - and of Venables. It is clear for all to see that the people in power in Abbotstown hang on Dunphys' every word and just look how his sentiments have subconciously effected the afforementioned foot.ie members.

Classic vocabulary!! Contrary to most posters here, I would have chosen Venables as manager ahead of the likes of Houllier, Hodgson, Coppell, etc. simply because Houllier is a coward who shifts blame onto every1 else, I've bad memories of Hodgson time at Blackburn and Coppell seemed only to be interested in the Irish job to get away from the stress of club management.

However, When i heard Trappatoni mentioned there was no doubt in my mind he was by far and away the best option if available. Therefore I don't see the point in arguing Venables case anymore - a much more qualified and successful manager has been appointed

osarusan
18/03/2008, 11:52 AM
I can say no more!!

Let's hope so.

jbyrne
18/03/2008, 12:57 PM
Has somebody photo shopped TV's head, it looks large compared to the rest of his body.

think the photo sums up venebles... sitting there surrounded by bling! they couldnt even get a recent photo of him in a football environment.... says it all really

BigmanCas
18/03/2008, 1:56 PM
think the photo sums up venebles... sitting there surrounded by bling! they couldnt even get a recent photo of him in a football environment.... says it all really

Stop the nonsense. He is still recognised as a great coach by his peers and every player that played under him - doesn't matter where he's sitting. Before Trapp came on the scene - I picture you championing the causes of Jewell or Houllier before Venables. Is this true? If so, says it all really!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jmurphyc
18/03/2008, 2:05 PM
Stop the nonsense. He is still recognised as a great coach by his peers and every player that played under him - doesn't matter where he's sitting. Before Trapp came on the scene - I picture you championing the causes of Jewell or Houllier before Venables. Is this true? If so, says it all really!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you give me the links to all of those players? Many players know very little, for evidence of this I suggest you listen to all of the ex-players who are now pundits. Most of them fail to understand the modern game and trot out plenty of cliches. If he is such a great coach why isn't he in a job right now? In fact, if he was still a great coach why isn't he in a job at Man Utd/Arsenal/Barcelona/Real Madrid/AC Milan.....?

Armando
18/03/2008, 2:17 PM
I have found it very difficult to understand how such an anti-Venables sentiment developed in this country over the past few months. I think it boils down to the fact that he is the quintessential cockney with a cheeky smile. People forget that we aren't considered a great football nation, so to get such a manager as Venables would have been a great coup. Poor Student, Ciaran(lost all respect for ya), amaccann, tetsujin1979, superhoops, owlsfan, youngirish (more nonsense from you), kingdom and reder - all know more than the players who believed Venables was the man for the job. Everyone who knows the game, said that he was the ideal candidate. He was.

You are doing those foot.ie members a huge diservice here. Myself and most of them had made up our mind and done our research on Venables well before Dunphy highlighted them. In fact I am convinced that Dunphy got all his facts from reading this board!

Do a search and you will see all the facts Dunphy rattled off listed here before he made them public.

tetsujin1979
18/03/2008, 2:47 PM
Probably because any recent photo of him in a football environment would be as the assistant to the England Euro 2008 qualifying series debacle.

jbyrne
18/03/2008, 3:01 PM
Stop the nonsense. He is still recognised as a great coach by his peers and every player that played under him - doesn't matter where he's sitting.

names and quotes please? i doubt the players from portsmouth, leeds or australia would agree with that

Before Trapp came on the scene - I picture you championing the causes of Jewell or Houllier before Venables. Is this true? If so, says it all really!!!!!!!!!!!!!

do you actually think before any of your posts? were you planted here by fanning/hyland to wind us all up? how the hell do you know who i did or did not want the job?

one of my earliest posts on the topic was that i would like brady to be good enough for the job but feared he may not be. he's in as trapps assistant now so i wasnt too far away

newrynyuk
19/03/2008, 4:25 PM
If Terry Venables is such the great coach the players claim he is, how come he wasn't working as one between being fired at Leeds in 2003 and becoming Steve McClaren's England assistant coach in 2006?

If Terry Venables is such the great coach and McClaren wasn't listening to him, why didn't he resign immediately after losing to Croatia in November? He was gonna be sacked anyway and would have made his point.

If Trapattoni's record is supposed to be suspect at international level, Venables' is even more so. Needing a win to qualify for France 98, his Australia blew a 2-0 against Iran with 20 minutes to go. And as for Euro 96, England didn't have to qualify, the played all their 5 matches at one stadium, and they only won two of them.

Venables is giving Dunphy way too much credit for his non-appointment. As others on this forum have pointed out, we all saw what a spoofer he was long before Eamo piped up.