PDA

View Full Version : Cobh

JC_GUFC
15/03/2008, 8:33 PM
1-1 Latest score in Cobh with 2 mins to go.

Kieran O'Reilly scored for them midway through the 2nd half, Derek O'Brien equalised about 10 mins later.

We should be looking to win these games but Cobh were very good at home last season and if we get a point there for their 1st home game of the season it's not a total disaster.

Terry
15/03/2008, 8:46 PM
agree somewhat with you, but when you look at the fact we cant beat cobh and our next matches are against pats, rovers and drogs, you have to wonder where our first win is going to come from?

eamo1
15/03/2008, 11:29 PM
mike nearly gave me a heart attack while commentating on gbfm.with about 5 mins to go he shouts "penatly" where he said john fitz handled it but a couple of mins later he says "its a free out actually".dont do that again please mike:).
decent point i suppose but he has to start a settled side.i know we had injuries tonight but im not sure tony knows his best 11 yet.

gilberto_eire
16/03/2008, 1:09 AM
Just back there now. Was terrible stuff, we once again looked clueless going forward. Aimless balls over the top going out for throw's, goal-kicks etc....
Center-midfield was non-existent. Sad thing to see was even Cobh's players were capable of playing football and opened us up with quick ball out to the wingers who were delivering low ball into the box. We have to be the worst attacking team in the league and we can't seem to go through the motions looking for an opportunity to open a team up, its always just hit hopelessly early up the pitch to no-mans land!!

We created 2 chances in the whole game, a free kick by McCulloch in the 1st half that hit the post and DOB's shot in the second which took a wicked deflection of a defender and placed in the corner with the goalie rooted to the spot!. We played a bit better when the changes were made but overall it's not looking goog so far!

Very lucky point and if we play like this all season we'll be lucky not to finish stone bottom!!

luka
16/03/2008, 7:40 AM
I'll agree ye were lucky to get a point lads. From what I saw there is a good side in there and it needs a bit of time I'd say. How do you all feel about the Refs role? Personally I think, and it's just my own opinion, that he wasn't at all up to scratch.

The Rebel Ram
16/03/2008, 8:57 AM
mike nearly gave me a heart attack while commentating on gbfm.with about 5 mins to go he shouts "penatly" where he said john fitz handled it but a couple of mins later he says "its a free out actually".dont do that again please mike:).
decent point i suppose but he has to start a settled side.i know we had injuries tonight but im not sure tony knows his best 11 yet.

The whole ground called penalty, how it was a free out I don't know, Ref was a joke. MNS should show the officials up no end!!!!!

Tir Oilean
16/03/2008, 9:08 AM
Wasnt at the game but looks like it was more hoofball and Gilberto says we were opened up by Ramblers easily. This is worrying stuff guys and gals.

decent point i suppose.

Is this how its going to be? Happy with a draw against a part time team who will be battling us for the fourth from bottom spot?

Terry
16/03/2008, 9:10 AM
no point in always blaming the ref, the are set to one standard and thats it. I prefer to get our own team to start solving their problems on the pitch and winning games rather than complain about the refs week in week out, saying they were to blame for whatever.

Terry
16/03/2008, 9:14 AM
Is this how its going to be? Happy with a draw against a part time team who will be battling us for the fourth from bottom spot?

I think what eamo was saying was that its the start of the season and anything can happen. If we are dissapointed at this stage look at Cork, no wins in 2, with a draw at home to bray. Or, drogs with no wins either and have yet to score a goal. Surely they are in a worse position compared to us with the squads they have. No point in worrying yet I say. If we are to get a similiar result to last season and get a win up in richmond next week we would be in with a chance of moving into 3rd!

Conor H
16/03/2008, 9:27 AM
There are absoloutely no excuses for not been able to beat a part time like Cobh.

I'd say his days are numbered to be honest.What evidence is there that he's capable of doing the job?
Very worrying result last night-especially when we appeared to be lucky not to lose by 2/3.

Terry
16/03/2008, 9:51 AM
Conor, how come we didt hear those comments from cork fans last week when they drew at home to bray, or when derry robbed UCD? For the love of God, its only week 2 and anything can happen at the start of the season? I read elsewhere that you were going to give the manager 5 games before you started this rubbish?

Cici900
16/03/2008, 9:55 AM
Did derek glynn play because if he did he was fierce queit

Conor H
16/03/2008, 9:56 AM
I said i think his days are numbered.Based on the continous evidence that we can't play football.
Our next 3 games terry are Pats,Rovers and Drogs-how do you think we'll fare?
Last night's result was imperative considering our next 5 games are extremely tough.I'm not suggesting TC be sacked tomorrow but if we want crowds to keep coming to Terryland we're going to have to start playing some football-and fast.Every week TC has some sort of excuse.We trained full time all week while the Cobh lads were at work.Do you think it was a good point?

How long would you give so Terry?Wait till we're well adrift at the bottom?

Terry
16/03/2008, 10:16 AM
the football is poor and players arent playing to their capabilities. I will be happy to come out with a minimum of 3 or 4 points from our next few games and I believe we will. I would give TC until after the sligo game and then review the situation if matter havent improved, how many games in total that is I dont know?

not matter what though, we wont be adrift at the bottom at any stage this season.

If we were as bad as some are saying and that cobh should have won the game, then the point from last night was a point gained. Am I happy, no, because I want 3 points from every game, but that will never happen no matter who you supporter.

Conor H
16/03/2008, 10:26 AM
Fair enough terry.

We all want UTD to do well and that's the main thing.I'll be in Richmond hoping for the 3 points like we all will but i still think TC has to step up to the plate.Not suggesting he should be sacked but he has had enough time to impose his mark at this stage.
Won't say anymore on here till after the Pats game.

JC_GUFC
16/03/2008, 10:27 AM
Fair play for going to the match Conor, I was stuck in work but will be at Friday's game anyway!

RTE's match report was saying our equaliser was deserved so I'm not sure who to believe but to be fair your report sounds like some of the stuff that was played last year so it's probably fairly accurate too.

I think the "full-time" point is off the mark at this stage of the season. I'd suggest the fittest team in the Premier Division last season was Shamrock Rovers and they're part-time. I think it's only in the last series of games that this makes a difference when the pressure is really on.

Obviously we'd ideally have at least 4 points at this stage but to be fair we were 15 minutes away from having none. I'd be surprised if we got nothing from our next 3 games.

gufct
16/03/2008, 11:12 AM
Conor wasnt at the game J.C. thats the problem.There are a very vocal group who will slate the manager whether they have been at the game or not.

No team has a divine right to win and the last few weeks in england and here have shown that.I was at the game and was happy to get away with a point. We werent just hoofing the ball as the goal will show on monday night and while the performance wasnt great anyone saying we should have been beaten by 2/3 is talking through their ass.

Other clubs fans must love reading our forums because the slating and negativity by a few keyboard heroes is the worst i Have ever seen on any forums .The season is 2 weeks old and people are calling for the managers head and abusing the players and the manager constantly on here and gufcnet is plain crazy.

The three subs made a huge difference with Vinny and Jayo being heavily involved in the goal. Vinny worked his balls off when he came on and it was easily his best performance so far. Marc McCulloch was excellent once again easily MOTM.

damoGUFC
16/03/2008, 1:40 PM
Highlights of the game:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=RhY9Xz5NIlk

geezer
16/03/2008, 7:28 PM
i didnt see us playin too much hoofball to be fair last night, fitzy and regi seemed to be out of sorts last night. I was very fearful when we went 1- down for a few mins it looked as if no one knew what to do but to be fair they dug in and resurrected themselves i was both relieved and impressed with the reaction. Deegan covered a lot of ground and is showing promise and toughness. O shea done well when he came on and himself and vinny were well instrumental in the comeback. We would have to credit TC with the changes. Cobh are a tough outfit and wont roll over easy. Friday will be and should be a war Deegan could be the key man

Trainee
17/03/2008, 1:52 AM
The whole ground called penalty, how it was a free out I don't know, Ref was a joke. MNS should show the officials up no end!!!!!

Because the lineman had his flag up for offside so free out was given, otherwise it was a stone wall pen

pixiehead
17/03/2008, 5:45 AM
Highlights of the game:

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=RhY9Xz5NIlk

Thanks alot for that Damo!!! Helps the GUFC fans abroad. Shocking bad ground!!! :eek: wont do much to intice fans there

6yardpunisha
17/03/2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks alot for that Damo!!! Helps the GUFC fans abroad. Shocking bad ground!!! :eek: wont do much to intice fans there

ground looks bad because the guy filming the game was in our new stand and by the way at least we own our own ground:eek:

galwayhoop
18/03/2008, 2:21 PM
no offense to Cobh but if we are planning to finish in the top 6 then it has to be considered 2 points lost - regardless if we were lucky to get a draw or not.