PDA

View Full Version : Irish players and Relegation in the EPL

NeilMcD
15/03/2008, 10:19 AM
Yeah I hope its not Sunderland or Reading or Bolton.

tetsujin1979
15/03/2008, 10:26 AM
Macken is the sole exception of Fulham and Derby's No Irish policyMacken plays for Barnsley since January, and Michael Timlin is at Fulham - just gone out on loan to Swindon

Kevin Doyle (Reading)
Stephen Hunt (Reading)
Shane Long (Reading)Graham Stack is on loan at Wolves
Alan Bennett is on loan at Brentford
Scott Davies is on loan at Aldershot

Daryll Murphy (Sunderland)
Anthony Stokes (Sunderland)
Liam Miller (Sunderland)
Paul McShane (Sunderland)
Roy O D (Sunderland)
David Connoly (Sunderland)
Ian Harte (Sunderland)
Graham Kavanagh (Sunderland)
Andy Reid (Sunderland)Billy Dennehy went out on loan to Accrington during the year, although he's being released at the end of the season

Stephen Kelly (Birmingham)
Colin Doyle ?

Joey O Brien (Bolton)
Andy O Brien (Bolton)Matthew Cassidy was on the bench for a UEFA Cup game during the year

FarBeag
15/03/2008, 10:38 AM
Well. We wouldn’t be able to field a team as they would be championship players.They surely would not be good enough for international football then!

Irish_Praha
15/03/2008, 11:53 AM
Well it wouldn't affect the players out on loan too bad because they might get more of a chance with their team in the championship.
A lot of the other players are young (Stokes, Long, O'Donovan) etc.) and might also benefit from a season or two in the championship, if they are good enough they will return too the EPL with or without their team. Then there's a few who probably don't have an international future Connolly, Kavanagh and Harte. Liam Miller is an average player at international level and I think he should only be on the fridges of the international team. If Garvan, Gibson, McCann etc. continue to progress he could be pushed out of the squad in the next few years but he's worth his place at the moment. I don't think it makes much difference if he's playing in the EPL or the championship, just as long as he's getting games. Murphy and McShane are two players that I'm not too sure about, if they need to stay in the EPL to improve their game or if another season in the championship would help develop their game quicker. I'm leaning towards McShane maybe needs to improve his positional sense and it would be good for him to go on loan to a team where he has an experienced CB partner from whom he can learn from. Kilbane has 80 plus international caps and lots of EPL experience, I don't think being relegated should effect his international prospects, if el Trap rates him.

For me one of the players that I really don't want to go down to the championship is Andy Reid, he's just moved up where he belongs and he deserves to get a good run the the EPL. Doyle needs to be playing at the highest level to improve his game too. Duff and Given don't belong in the Championship yet.
Hunt also needs to stay in the EPL. The two O'Briens and Kelly are playing in positions where we are weak at the moment and are all regulars and doing OK for their EPL teams so we need them to be playing at the highest possible level too.

So if Derby, Fulham and Wigan get relegated it would be the best possible outcome for the Irish team.

What about the prospects of a lot more Irish players getting promoted to the EPL? Maybe someone with time on their hands could start such a thread :)

shakermaker1982
15/03/2008, 12:59 PM
I hope Reading, Sunderland and Newcastle (only because of Duff and Given) all stay up. It's going to be very very tight but I think it will be between Bolton and Brimingham to join Fulham/Derby.

tetsujin1979
15/03/2008, 1:00 PM
What about the prospects of a lot more Irish players getting promoted to the EPL? Maybe someone with time on their hands could start such a thread :)
Bit early for that, the Championship is really crowded this season, Wolves in 11th are only 5 points off the play offs, and 3 points seperate fifth and tenth

Dodge
15/03/2008, 3:26 PM
Well. We wouldn’t be able to field a team as they would be championship players.They surely would not be good enough for international football then!

They're the same players whether they're relegated or not.

eirebhoy
15/03/2008, 3:40 PM
Ipswich are the team I really want to see promoted. Obviously they've loads of Irish but I'd love to see Garvan in the premiership. He's probably our best prospect. Scored today as well.

FarBeag
15/03/2008, 4:33 PM
They're the same players whether they're relegated or not.

I know. I was just being Cynical towards Ciaran’s persistent posting that Championship players are not good enough to play international football.

FarBeag
15/03/2008, 4:38 PM
I Took a quick look at the teams currently in promotion or playoff places, these are the Irish involvements up for Promotion. Though really half the championship are still in with a shot.

Stephen Henderson (Bristol City)

Liam Lawrence (Stoke)
Glen Whealen (Stoke)
Rory Delap (Stoke)

John Joe O Toole (Watford)

Dean Kiely (West Brom)

Paddy McCarthy (Charlton)
Matt Holland (Charlton)

They should be good enough to play international football then seeing they will be playing with the big boys.

cavan_fan
15/03/2008, 5:21 PM
The poor quality at the top of the Championship (maybe West Brom excluded) means this is a vital season for Reading, Sunderland etc. If they can stay up they are almost guaranteed 2 seasons in the Premiership which could allow them to invest and rebuild.

theworm2345
15/03/2008, 6:18 PM
A number of Irish lads are in danger of relegation. Macken is the sole exception of Fulham and Derby's No Irish policy and so nobody major will be assured of relegation. The final 3rd place brings up a lot of possibilities though. What would be the implications for these players if they were to go down?

Kevin Kilbane (Wigan)

Kevin Doyle (Reading)
Stephen Hunt (Reading)
Shane Long (Reading)

Shay Given (Newcastle)
Damien Duff (Newcastle)
Stephen Carr (Newcastle)

Daryl Murphy (Sunderland)
Anthony Stokes (Sunderland)
Liam Miller (Sunderland)
Paul McShane (Sunderland)
Roy O D (Sunderland)
David Connolly (Sunderland)
Ian Harte (Sunderland)
Graham Kavanagh (Sunderland)
Andy Reid (Sunderland)

Stephen Kelly (Birmingham)

Joey O Brien (Bolton)
Andy O Brien (Bolton)

Basically unless Boro drop down which is unlikely we're losing somebody. Best might be Wigan? Or perhaps Newcastle. Surely Given and Duff would be assured moves out if that happened?
Michael Timlin appears to be doomed as well
The ones in Bold are the ones who would I think will get sold to another EPL club if their teams were relegated. The ones in underline deserve to but wont (just a joke on that one, no need to get upset)

Dodge
15/03/2008, 6:20 PM
I know. I was just being Cynical towards Ciaran’s persistent posting that Championship players are not good enough to play international football.

Sorry, didn't spot his post

Diarmo
15/03/2008, 11:18 PM
Liam Miller is an average player at international level and I think he should only be on the fridges of the international team.

I think that's Andy Reid's role.....

danonion
17/03/2008, 3:50 AM
Kilbane would get a move to a newly promoted side if he desired. Managers love players like him. Consummate professional, can play 3-4 positions, never whines when out of the side.

Irish_Praha
17/03/2008, 2:32 PM
I think that's Andy Reid's role.....

At least someone quoted from my long post :D

Razors left peg
22/03/2008, 2:09 PM
I think I'd be quite happy for Bolton to be the 3rd team to go down. I've haven't seen them play this season but with Andy probably retired and from reports I've seen that Joey is out of his depth at this level it's no major loss.

Just hope Fulham don't spark a revival!

Joey had a shockin game against Cypus but was in a position that he hadnt played in for ages at the time and under a manager that had no organisation at that team. Dont forget he player very well against Germany at center half just 4 days beforehand and he has done reasonably well for Bolton in center midfield this year, he is still young so dont write him off just yet.................... But I do hope Bolton go down, they are terrible to watch