PDA

View Full Version : Landmark chimneys denied protected status

Ringo
15/03/2008, 9:43 AM
THEY have featured in numerous postcards and a very famous Guinness ad, but perhaps their most important cameo appearance came when they featured in U2s 'Pride (In The Name Of Love)' video.
However, Dublin City Council does not believe the Poolbeg chimneys are iconic enough to place on their Record of Protected Structures.
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/landmark-chimneys-denied-protected-status-1318383.html

i feel their part of Dublin & should be saved. Similar to Battersy power station i suppose. Just because something is old doesn't make it more important to save.

Lionel Ritchie
15/03/2008, 11:00 AM
I don't think they're currently under any threat that they need to be saved from Ringo but for what it's worth I'm inclined to agree that in little over 30 years they've worked their way into Dublin folklore.

That they're relatively young and industrial infrastructure will delay any preservation order on them as well but another 30 years down the road that could well change.

Here in Limerick we have developers regularily raising kites through the local media about "redeveloping" Limerick docks -by which of course they mean getting rid of the docks down to Foynes (despite the ongoing building of the Shannon Tunnel, at mega expense, downstream for the exact purpose of keeping the docks open) and putting high rise appartments on the site instead.

One of the "obstacles" they foresee is an early 20th Century mass concrete silo which they'd want gone but which has a preservation order on it as it's one of only a few remaining examples of it's construction type. It's currently derelict but I think it'd make a fantastic home for a much needed Arts Center which could exist happily in a working docks.

Bluebeard
19/03/2008, 8:06 AM
I don't think they're currently under any threat that they need to be saved from Ringo but for what it's worth I'm inclined to agree that in little over 30 years they've worked their way into Dublin folklore.

But I thought that Ringo didn't want to harm them?