PDA

View Full Version : Who are our 08/09 UEFA cup entrants?

Tenderloins
14/03/2008, 8:34 AM
I know Drogheda won the League, but who are Irelands other entrants to Europe for the 08/09 season?

Danny
14/03/2008, 8:38 AM
Pats & Cork

Bohs in Inter toto

Con-Con
14/03/2008, 12:17 PM
I can see Bohs doing well in the inter toto, and Cork getting to the 1'st round proper!

Dodge
14/03/2008, 12:47 PM
I can see Bohs doing well in the inter toto, and Cork getting to the 1'st round proper!

based on Cork drawing 0-0 at home to Bray and Bohs struggling to beat galway 1-0 away?

Fester
14/03/2008, 2:28 PM
based on Cork drawing 0-0 at home to Bray and Bohs struggling to beat galway 1-0 away?

Early Days Yet !!!

SPXcyan
14/03/2008, 3:23 PM
Hopefully Irish clubs will do as good a job as 2006 or even better.. I think we can expect it given the strength of the clubs participating :) all depends on the draw I spose..

I havent looked it up but does anybody know if we have any clubs seeded this season??

TheBoss
14/03/2008, 6:07 PM
Drogheda Utd will be should seeded in the Champions League.

Unsure about the other 2.

pete
14/03/2008, 10:27 PM
Drogheda Utd will be should seeded in the Champions League.

Unsure about the other 2.

Uefa Cup entrants unlikely to be seeded but difficult to work out when don't know qualifies for other countries yet. If they don't make it will probably be top of the unseeded not that it means anything.

A face
15/03/2008, 11:46 AM
At a minimum all Irish clubs have to get past the first round. If they dont then they have left the league down. I dunno about anyone making it to the 1st round proper yet to be honest, although it would be nice if someone did. Bohs should do well.

Dodge
15/03/2008, 2:12 PM
At a minimum all Irish clubs have to get past the first round. If they dont then they have left the league down.
Ridiculously simplistic.

No LOI team would get close to beating a team as classy as Odense.

Cymro
16/03/2008, 12:27 AM
Obviously in certain cases the draw can be harsh and exceptions do exist. I think he was making a general statement.

To be honest, full time professional clubs who are in season should expect to win their first round tie, especially when seeded.

Dodge
16/03/2008, 10:15 AM
To be honest, full time professional clubs who are in season should expect to win their first round tie, especially when seeded.

But they won't be seeded (bar maybe Drogheda), and will more than likely meet other full time professional clubs

Cymro
17/03/2008, 12:26 AM
Yeah, but most of them will have, at best, a few pre-season friendlies behind them, whereas the in-season team will be at their peaks in terms of sharpness. That's worth at least a one goal advantage over the two legs, in my opinion, though I've no doubt you'll disagree.

Dodge
17/03/2008, 12:30 AM
Yeah, but most of them will have, at best, a few pre-season friendlies behind them, whereas the in-season team will be at their peaks in terms of sharpness. That's worth at least a one goal advantage over the two legs, in my opinion, though I've no doubt you'll disagree.

Of course I do. The level of the player far outweighs their fitness. And the majority of the teams in our side of the draw have winter leagues (Latvia, Lithuania, Sweden, Estonia etc etc)

mrtndvn
17/03/2008, 12:43 AM
Ridiculously simplistic.

No LOI team would get close to beating a team as classy as Odense.

U mean no loi team would beat them again?

Good lord if Byrne had any bottle shels would of knocked them out of the competition

Dodge
17/03/2008, 1:06 AM
U mean no loi team would beat them again?

By beat them I mean knock them out. Moral victories are rubbish

ifk101
17/03/2008, 7:26 AM
I haven't a clue what Pats' turnover is as I haven't access to their accounts but Odense's turnover was approximately €6 million in 2005. I suspect this would be at least twice Pats' turnover?

If you compare Danish clubs and League of Ireland clubs the biggest, noticeable difference is off-field activities. Take FC København. The name of the company behind FC København is Parken Sport & Entertainment - the football team forms the centre of a listed company whoms business is "entertainment". The company's main asset is the Denmark's national stadium but a franchise of gyms also forms part of the company. Monies generated from non-footballing activities would be re-invested in the football team.

Odense has also followed the lead of F.C. København and is now established as a "entertainment" company. Again the football team is the centre of the company that includes a congress centre and hotel.

It's clubs with this kind of resources LOI teams are meeting in the first round of European competition so whilst I believe the top LOI teams can beat Odense on the field, what Odense is doing off-field will make it harder and harder for LOI teams to compete in the future. :(

Dodge
17/03/2008, 11:01 AM
I haven't a clue what Pats' turnover is as I haven't access to their accounts but Odense's turnover was approximately €6 million in 2005. I suspect this would be at least twice Pats' turnover?

Closer to 6 times our turnover. Odense signed a seven figure sponsorship deal with Carlsberg alone

ifk101
17/03/2008, 11:44 AM
Odense signed a seven figure sponsorship deal with Carlsberg alone

Of the six million I mentioned about 55% of that is generated from sponsorship. 25% is from gates and TV.

So the 5-0 lost away was just about right in terms of turnover. :)

Closer to 6 times our turnover.

Just thinking if this is right. Surely Pats wage bill is higher than this and with the 65% salary cap (if this is being applied) turnover must be a lot closer to €2 million than €1 million.

Dodge
17/03/2008, 2:14 PM
Just thinking if this is right. Surely Pats wage bill is higher than this and with the 65% salary cap (if this is being applied) turnover must be a lot closer to €2 million than €1 million.
Sssshhhhh!!!

Think our owner's donations keep us under the 65% but honestly couldn't tell you

Cymro
17/03/2008, 4:16 PM
Of course I do. The level of the player far outweighs their fitness.

Granted. But, in close games, having that extra bit of match sharpness gives a team an edge.

higgins
18/03/2008, 5:19 PM
You expect people on here to believe Pats have a turnover of around 1 million euro ???
It simply has to be much bigger. If you have someone giving you donations they are included in the turnover.

bigmac
19/03/2008, 4:03 PM

Completely incorrect - of the teams in the relevant 1st qualifying round of the Uefa Cup the vast majority play in summer seasons! taking last season as an example, of the 32 teams, only 7 were out of season, and these were all in the bottom 9 seeds anyway! The in-season bit only comes into play if a team makes it into the next round and draws a team from a summer league.

GavinZac
19/03/2008, 4:59 PM
the main thing anyway is that St Pats keep the score down to something respectable

HarpoJoyce
19/03/2008, 8:19 PM
the main thing anyway is that St Pats keep the score down to something respectable

That's not fair, they should be allowed score just as many goals as they like.